New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XXXVII

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Disciple of Dispater gets plenty of discussion.
    Now, from those remaining, which comply with Thiago's requirement that they have no association with "fear-stacking" or "Intimidate shenanigans?"
    true enough. the others not so much though.

well, none of them, really. some have intimidate, but none really centers around it.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post

well, none of them, really. some have intimidate, but none really centers around it.
    That reads to me as "none of the listed SI options will be considered a 'good choice' without complaint." Choosing the Secret Ingredient is fun, isn't it?
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Woo boy. Justiciar. Somehow I was under the impression that it was already used as an ingredient in another competition? I suppose I was wrong.
    Don't feel bad, I could've sworn that Iron Chef was already on its fifty-somethingth competition.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

More random PrCs that might be viable candidates;

Shadow Sun Ninja, Valadis Beastkeeper (possibly with changed entry req. to allow for non-Eberron adapations), Soul Eater (with clarification on how it functions), Runescarred Berserker, Ashworm Dragoon, Swiftblade.
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

twisted lord is a class that I always thought was kind of good, but sees little use due to its obscurity. it's ridiculously easy to qualify for, and is the only class besides exemplar and uncanny trickster I've seen to give 8 points/lvl.

that's about all the 10 level, non-full casting, fun, relatively easy to enter PrCs that haven't been featured on IC I can think of right now. how about other people?
    The incredibly obscure Scorpion Heritor (Sandstorm) also gets 8+Int skill points/level, as well as full SA.

Off the top of my head I'd love to see Wildrunner (RotW), Shadowmind (CAdv) and Fang of Sseth (SK).

And bonus points for the horrendously bad Knight of the Chalice (CW).

Quote Originally Posted by Menteith View Post

Shadow Sun Ninja, Valadis Beastkeeper (possibly with changed entry req. to allow for non-Eberron adapations), Soul Eater (with clarification on how it functions), Runescarred Berserker, Ashworm Dragoon, Swiftblade.
    Ashworm Dragoon? Come on, that class is actually pretty good. And Swiftblade is actually actually good. Soul Eater's a fairly popular choice as well, so I doubt that one will be a Secret Ingredient anytime soon.

6. - Top - End - #66

NecromancerGuy

Ashworm Dragoon and Swiftblade are both too good/popular to make good choices.

Soul Eater has a huge can of worms with it, in addition to the "fear/debuff stacking shenanigans" complaint.

Runescarred Berserker is hilariously hard to qualify by RAW in 3.5 (as in, you can't, if Curmudgeon's reading of the RAW is correct). Its "separate casting mechanic" is also one which has been specifically requested against of late.

Shadow Sun Ninja also hits the "fear/debuff stacking shenanigans" complaint squarely. While it's the only ToB class I'd personally consider at all for the contest, any ToB class runs the risk of being considered "too good" for the purposes of Iron Chef.

Valadis Beastmaster is a "separate casting mechanic" class, a mechanic which has generated specific calls against it of late. It also shares the issue with RsB of being arguably "too obscure".

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67

Let's just go back to the method of "whichever PrC will make competitors groan the most."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

8. - Top - End - #68

I'm suddenly very grateful that I'm not the one who has to choose the ingredients. Thank you Amphetryon!

Additionally, I'm really, really happy with my current build for Justicar. I've got to make sure that I've got Skills squared away, but otherwise, the mechanics of it are set!
    Last edited by Menteith; 2012-09-10 at 07:24 PM.
    Hath but one page...

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

That reads to me as "none of the listed SI options will be considered a 'good choice' without complaint." Choosing the Secret Ingredient is fun, isn't it?
    I don't understand what you mean. could you explain?

I don't think that anyone will look at the list I gave and say "that is going to give us an entry that's all fear stacking"

I certainly don't want people to complain about my secret ingredient suggestions. you're the chairman, so the decision's ultimately up to you. I just thought throwing out a few that complied with Menteith's criteria might give us an impression of what chefs wanted to cook next time around (and what you thought might be fun)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    The incredibly obscure Scorpion Heritor (Sandstorm) also gets 8+Int skill points/level, as well as full SA.
    I am a huge fan of scorpion heritor. its tremorsense ability is awesome, and full SA for a 10 lvl prc is unprecedented besides assassin (I think) so that's pretty fun.

I do question your assertion that sandstorm is more obscure than shattered gates of slaughtersdale though

I'm suddenly very grateful that I'm not the one who has to choose the ingredients. Thank you Amphetryon!

Additionally, I'm really, really happy with my current build for Justicar. I've got to make sure that I've got Skills squared away, but otherwise, the mechanics of it are set!
    on that note, my build is done as of yesterday, I just need backstory
    Last edited by Venger; 2012-09-10 at 07:45 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

10. - Top - End - #70

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    I don't understand what you mean. could you explain?
    At the risk of setting up a recursive loop, I'll have to ask for more information about the source of your confusion before I can explain.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Now, from those remaining, which comply with Thiago's requirement that they have no association with "fear-stacking" or "Intimidate shenanigans?"
    none of the ones I submitted (to my knowledge) have any fear-stacking/intimidate stuff.

I'm not sure what you mean. do you mean "I don't think you'll be satisfied unless someone complains about the SI you have chosen" ? because that is not true of me. if you meant something else, what is it?
    At the risk of setting up a recursive loop, I'll have to ask for more information about the source of your confusion before I can explain.
    my confusion is regarding your interpretation of my comment. did you feel differently about their intimidate/fear stuff? they're not really centered around it.

as far as runescarred berserker goes, why is it impossible to qualify for? couldn't one take survivor, then buy 2 CC in local (rashemen) ? or is there something I am missing?
    Last edited by Venger; 2012-09-10 at 08:54 PM.

Iron Chef Medals!

12. - Top - End - #72

NecromancerGuy

none of the ones I submitted (to my knowledge) have any fear-stacking/intimidate stuff.
    If they have Intimidate as a class skill or another means of debuffing the opponent(s), they're likely to see use for "stacking fear/debuff shenanigans," particularly in the absence of full casting or a similar strong alternative.

I'm not sure what you mean. do you mean "I don't think you'll be satisfied unless someone complains about the SI you have chosen" ? because that is not true of me. if you meant something else, what is it?
    That's almost 100% the opposite of what I said; I said that none of the options listed meet the metric of avoiding the complaints leveled against SI choices. I made no comment whatsoever about you, or someone else, not being satisfied until there was a complaint.

my confusion is regarding your interpretation of my comment. did you feel differently about their intimidate/fear stuff? they're not really centered around it.
    See above regarding Intimidate. Merely having it on their Class list - and not having a strong incentive in the PrC to ignore it - means that at least one person is likely to build any of those PrCs with Intimidate/fear stacking/debuffing as a theme, which has caused complaint of late.

as far as runescarred berserker goes, why is it impossible to qualify for? couldn't one take survivor, then buy 2 CC in local (rashemen) ? or is there something I am missing?
    As of 3.5, it is not technically possible to qualify for the Berserker Lodge feats without the DM houseruling for you, per Curmudgeon's interpretation of the RAW.
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2012-09-10 at 09:27 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

If they have Intimidate as a class skill or another means of debuffing the opponent(s), they're likely to see use for "stacking fear/debuff shenanigans," particularly in the absence of full casting or a similar strong alternative.

That's almost 100% the opposite of what I said; I said that none of the options listed meet the metric of avoiding the complaints leveled against SI choices. I made no comment whatsoever about you, or someone else, not being satisfied until there was a complaint.

See above regarding Intimidate. Merely having it on their Class list - and not having a strong incentive in the PrC to ignore it - means that at least one person is likely to build any of those PrCs with Intimidate/fear stacking/debuffing as a theme, which has caused complaint of late.

As of 3.5, it is not technically possible to qualify for the Berserker Lodge feats without the DM houseruling for you, per Curmudgeon's interpretation of the RAW.
    I understand now. well, like you said, it's awfully hard to find classes with no casting/intimidate.

ah, that explains that. thanks

Iron Chef Medals!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Banned

Yay, I'm important!
    I think that just having Intimidate as a class skill does not necessarily mean we'll get all builds with fear optimization. Kensai is a bit of a problem since it gets a bonus to Intimidate, so you either use it or lose points, since you're not using all parts of the SI.
    From the SI suggested, my personal favorites are Scorpion Heritor, Wildrunner and Shadow Sun Ninja - though I also think Shadow Sun Ninja could be used later, because it will cause a storm of fear-optimized characters.
    Amph, congratulations on being this open about suggestions, that's pretty cool.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

I'm probably going to enter - tweaking a final design before final fluffing.

For all the first-timers out there, here's some advice (set to the 'tune' of a certain commercial)

Spoiler
    Show

Start with a simple idea
    Think
    Think more
    Drink coffee
    Stop thinking
    Start doing
    Plot a build
    Kill the build
    More coffee
    Build something totally original
    Ok, not that original
    Blow-your-mind original
    Now it’s time to create something
    Do it again and again
    That’s good
    Kick out the clichés
    Call in the fluff writers
    Call in the rules guys
    Call in the optimizers
    Not those optimizers
    Those Optimizers
    Blow off lunch
    Blow off dinner
    Blow off weekends
    SLEEP
    Ok, that’s enough sleep
    More coffee
    Build a preliminary build
    Mold it
    Shape it
    Hate it
    Start over
    Build another preliminary
    Mold it
    Shape it
    Love it
    That’s good
    More coffee
    Give it some kick
    Give it more power
    More power
    Never too much power
    Base Attack of +15
    No, +16
    Make it in less than 20 levels
    Oh no, the Rules laywers
    You can’t do that.
    Kick out the Rules lawyers!
    Playtest the build.
    Tweak
    Tweak
    TWEAK
    TWEAK
    STOP!
    Get a second opinion.
    Call the critics.
    Call your friends.
    Get a celebrity endorser.
    Huh
    No
    No
    No
    No
    Yes. He’s perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon
    I am?
    Yes, you are.
    Making an ICO winning build.
    It’s that easy.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. It fits! So that means somebody else is probably using it. Maybe? And it's not nearly...but it fits! *pulls hair*

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Yay, I'm important!
    I think that just having Intimidate as a class skill does not necessarily mean we'll get all builds with fear optimization. Kensai is a bit of a problem since it gets a bonus to Intimidate, so you either use it or lose points, since you're not using all parts of the SI.
    From the SI suggested, my personal favorites are Scorpion Heritor, Wildrunner and Shadow Sun Ninja - though I also think Shadow Sun Ninja could be used later, because it will cause a storm of fear-optimized characters.
    Amph, congratulations on being this open about suggestions, that's pretty cool.
    hey, you were the one who said what we were all thinking, that entitles you to a little recognition. too bad you didn't like any of my suggestions, maybe next time. I'd kind of like to roll up a scorpion heritor as well. that bonus against mind affecting is pretty sweet as far as feat taxes go.

I really like twisted lord. I love the silly troll face he's making, I'm sure there'd be some weird things people would do with that class.

Iron Chef Medals!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

I'm probably going to enter - tweaking a final design before final fluffing.

For all the first-timers out there, here's some advice (set to the 'tune' of a certain commercial)

Spoiler
    Show

Start with a simple idea
    Think
    Think more
    Drink coffee
    Stop thinking
    Start doing
    Plot a build
    Kill the build
    More coffee
    Build something totally original
    Ok, not that original
    Blow-your-mind original
    Now it’s time to create something
    Do it again and again
    That’s good
    Kick out the clichés
    Call in the fluff writers
    Call in the rules guys
    Call in the optimizers
    Not those optimizers
    Those Optimizers
    Blow off lunch
    Blow off dinner
    Blow off weekends
    SLEEP
    Ok, that’s enough sleep
    More coffee
    Build a preliminary build
    Mold it
    Shape it
    Hate it
    Start over
    Build another preliminary
    Mold it
    Shape it
    Love it
    That’s good
    More coffee
    Give it some kick
    Give it more power
    More power
    Never too much power
    Base Attack of +15
    No, +16
    Make it in less than 20 levels
    Oh no, the Rules laywers
    You can’t do that.
    Kick out the Rules lawyers!
    Playtest the build.
    Tweak
    Tweak
    TWEAK
    TWEAK
    STOP!
    Get a second opinion.
    Call the critics.
    Call your friends.
    Get a celebrity endorser.
    Huh
    No
    No
    No
    No
    Yes. He’s perfect.

Yes, you are.
    Making an ICO winning build.
    It’s that easy.
    Heh, that reads like a George Carlin bit.

R.I.P. George. He'd roll over in his grave if he heard somebody say that...... and wasn't dead.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

19. - Top - End - #79

I do question your assertion that sandstorm is more obscure than shattered gates of slaughtersdale though
    Wow, that book is obscure! Even more so than Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde .

I really like twisted lord. I love the silly troll face he's making, I'm sure there'd be some weird things people would do with that class.
    There was an entry in Round X, I believe (whichever round we did Blade Bravo) that made use of Twisted Lord--I think it was Moudo.

20. - Top - End - #80

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Wow, that book is obscure! Even more so than Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde .

There was an entry in Round X, I believe (whichever round we did Blade Bravo) that made use of Twisted Lord--I think it was Moudo.
    Yep. Trust me, I know.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

heehee

oh, I must've forgotten.

hey, what's the fastest from announcement to submission in iron chef? I tried checking the IC records thread, and I didn't see it there. I was talking about it earlier but have been unsuccessful while looking at the archive.

Iron Chef Medals!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

I am a huge fan of scorpion heritor. its tremorsense ability is awesome, and full SA for a 10 lvl prc is unprecedented besides assassin (I think) so that's pretty fun.

Oh, I didn't mean that It's Hot Outside is obscure - I meant that I've never heard of a build that uses Scorpion Heritor.

23. - Top - End - #83

NecromancerGuy

hey, what's the fastest from announcement to submission in iron chef? I tried checking the IC records thread, and I didn't see it there. I was talking about it earlier but have been unsuccessful while looking at the archive.
    We've had one submission in +/- 3 hours, as I recall. It was under Prinny's watch.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Banned

Oh, I didn't mean that It's Hot Outside is obscure - I meant that I've never heard of a build that uses Scorpion Heritor.
    It's a pretty cool class, I've used it for NPCs a few times. In fact, a themed a whole tribe around it.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

It's a pretty cool class, I've used it for NPCs a few times. In fact, a themed a whole tribe around it.
    I've used it in a pbp; but I only had one level and the game died before the first combat was finished. hmmm now I am tempted to build a Scorpion Heritor and submit is as soon as (if) it is revealed as a secret ingredient.

And wow I just checked the Record thread and it went up to ICOCitP XV. Is anyone willing to re-start it?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    And wow I just checked the Record thread and it went up to ICOCitP XV. Is anyone willing to re-start it?
    It's on the list of things I intend to do...right after updating the spreadsheet. TBH, it's fallen off a lot in recent rounds due to being busy with RL.

27. - Top - End - #87

Dang... I have the perfect idea for this competition, using almost all of the abilities beautifully, and I just know it's going to be using the same base class as at least 3 other entries. Hopefully the other elements of the build are going to make up in the Originality department somewhat...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Dang... I have the perfect idea for this competition, using almost all of the abilities beautifully, and I just know it's going to be using the same base class as at least 3 other entries. Hopefully the other elements of the build are going to make up in the Originality department somewhat...
    well, yeah, a certain base class seems to be coming to the forefront with this SI. darn prereqs.

Iron Chef Medals!

29. - Top - End - #89

I feel confidant that no one else is dumb enough to do what I'm doing.
    Hath but one page...

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel confidant that no one else is dumb enough to do what I'm doing.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. I've got a dumb idea too.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.