New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Darths and Droids III: Search Your DNA Report

I never understood the blue milk thingy. Is it some sort of mind-control substance used by the survivalist/cultist parents of Luke?

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I never understood the blue milk thingy. Is it some sort of mind-control substance used by the survivalist/cultist parents of Luke?
    Huh? Is this somehow related to today's comic? But if you care... Blue Milk on Wookiepedia.

I guess isolation can drive you crazy but this Yoda is... uh...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #783

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Huh? Is this somehow related to today's comic? But if you care... Blue Milk on Wookiepedia.

I guess isolation can drive you crazy but this Yoda is... uh...
    It's not related to today's comic, except we are remembered that Luke's adoptive parents were crazy survivalist who taught him to survive SWAMPS.

Think about it for a minute.

And for the "blue milk", I know it appears in the movie and is canon. It's just that I never understood the survivalists' obsession with "drinking the blue milk"

4. - Top - End - #784

Hey, everyone, say 'Hi' to Darth (in)Sain.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, that's right, Sally plays Yoda.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #786
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Since R2 should recognize Yoda, I wonder what Pete's beeps are actually saying.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Hey, everyone, say 'Hi' to Darth (in)Sain.
    Twenty years speaking with bugs only, how sane you will be, hmm?

I personally think this an inspired direction. Kudos for Sally for coming up with that idea (presuming she is the one who decided to take this direction with Yoda).
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

8. - Top - End - #788
    Bugbear in the Playground

Excellent. So nice to met you, Squishy.

9. - Top - End - #789

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Twenty years speaking with bugs only, how sane you will be, hmm?
    Canonically speaking, Luke is 21 right now, since he was 16 at the start of ANH. Yes, Leia was a Senator for several years at 16.

Speaking of chronicity errors, the prequels really screw up the OT. R2 should know and be able to relate every big reveal, and tell the twins about their mother. And it would have been so easy to prevent that kind of retroactive headache. Just have both droids mindwiped.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of chronicity errors, the prequels really screw up the OT. R2 should know and be able to relate every big reveal, and tell the twins about their mother.
    They never asked. *whirr*boop*beedeebeedeebeedee*

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Canonically speaking, Luke is 21 right now, since he was 16 at the start of ANH. Yes, Leia was a Senator for several years at 16.

Speaking of chronicity errors, the prequels really screw up the OT. R2 should know and be able to relate every big reveal, and tell the twins about their mother. And it would have been so easy to prevent that kind of retroactive headache. Just have both droids mindwiped.
    I thought they were 18 at the start of ANH. Says something about the Lars's parenting style vs. Bail Organa's given that one twin is a feckless farmboy and the other is one of the most important political figures in the galaxy at the same time, though.

And really, the biggest problem I had with the prequels - and that's saying quite a lot - is that they largely make Obi-Wan and R2 into compulsively-lying, manipulative jerks simply by nature of what we know they know from the prequels.

Then again, after Return of the Jedi, I never thought of Obi-Wan as a precisely honest or traditionally good guy anyway, at least in terms of his relationship with Luke. He did what he felt he had to do to fix his mistakes and defeat Vader and the Emperor, no matter how much he had to manipulate some hapless schmuck to do so. It's harder to excuse R2 because he doesn't have the same motivation or reason to hide the truth.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2014-03-07 at 11:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

12. - Top - End - #792
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In a scene that was cut from the original movies (and never added when they were redone) was Yoda on his death bed saying that Obi-won would have told Luke the truth but Yoda ordered him not to.

13. - Top - End - #793

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    In a scene that was cut from the original movies (and never added when they were redone) was Yoda on his death bed saying that Obi-won would have told Luke the truth but Yoda ordered him not to.
    I am happy they cut it.

Obi-wan should stand up to his actions. He's still the one who had to look the boy in the eyes, and tell him that a lie was the truth.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I thought they were 18 at the start of ANH. Says something about the Lars's parenting style vs. Bail Organa's given that one twin is a feckless farmboy and the other is one of the most important political figures in the galaxy at the same time, though.

And really, the biggest problem I had with the prequels - and that's saying quite a lot - is that they largely make Obi-Wan and R2 into compulsively-lying, manipulative jerks simply by nature of what we know they know from the prequels.

Then again, after Return of the Jedi, I never thought of Obi-Wan as a precisely honest or traditionally good guy anyway, at least in terms of his relationship with Luke. He did what he felt he had to do to fix his mistakes and defeat Vader and the Emperor, no matter how much he had to manipulate some hapless schmuck to do so. It's harder to excuse R2 because he doesn't have the same motivation or reason to hide the truth.
    I really dont see how the relative parenting styles can really be compared. Bail organa and his wife are either outright rulers of their world, or at least were senators themselves before adopting leia. Luke was raised a farmboy.... because his family was a group of farmers. Did you expect him to grow up as a diplomat on a moisture farm in the middle of bum*^%$ nowhere, tattoine?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #795

I thought they were 18 at the start of ANH.
    Supposedly, Leia's 24. The twin thing was added later as a way out of the love triangle that didn't involve protagonist death.

16. - Top - End - #796

Luke's age varies a bit - in the novelization of the first Star Wars movie, he's said to be 20, in later sources, this is reduced to 18.

Fits with RoTS beginning 19 years before ANH and ending a week or two later.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I really dont see how the relative parenting styles can really be compared. Bail organa and his wife are either outright rulers of their world, or at least were senators themselves before adopting leia. Luke was raised a farmboy.... because his family was a group of farmers. Did you expect him to grow up as a diplomat on a moisture farm in the middle of bum*^%$ nowhere, tattoine?
    Well, the fact of the matter is that if Owen weren't so concerned with remaining inconspicuous (despite letting Luke keep his father's surname for some reason) and keeping Luke sequestered quietly on Tatooine, Luke had the natural talent to do almost anything in the field of space flight or combat as soon as he left the planet.

On the other hand, maybe that was part of the plan. Put one twin out in the big wide galaxy and stick the other one in the middle of nowhere where Vader would never go as a backup.

You know, considering that the originator of this Brilliant Plan drags Luke off-planet literally the second he realizes that Leia's been captured by the Empire, that's the only explanation that makes sense.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2014-03-07 at 05:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #798

Actually, in one of the EU novels, it's posited that Luke was basically staked out like a goat on a tiger hunt. He was bait.

Makes as much sense as anything else. Mainly because I'm actually certain that the Jedi didn't have a plan right then.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

It's harder to excuse R2 because he doesn't have the same motivation or reason to hide the truth.
    What about the fact that he's a robot that will do what he's programmed, not a human being with emotions and the ability to feel empathy?

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    What about the fact that he's a robot that will do what he's programmed, not a human being with emotions and the ability to feel empathy?
    R2

Doing as he's told.

I mean I guess it's possible. He followed some directions in ANH.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #801
    Barbarian in the Playground

The behavior of droids is kinda all over the place in the Star Wars setting. They pretty much do whatever the plot needs them to, whether it's explained by programming or personality or something else entirely.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean I guess it's possible. He followed some directions in ANH.
    After several decades of receiving orders without a memory wipe maybe he can just do whatever he wants because some orders conflict or some order could be interpreted to mean what he wants to do. Or he's crazy now.

23. - Top - End - #803

Well, the fact of the matter is that if Owen weren't so concerned with remaining inconspicuous (despite letting Luke keep his father's surname for some reason) and keeping Luke sequestered quietly on Tatooine, Luke had the natural talent to do almost anything in the field of space flight or combat as soon as he left the planet.

On the other hand, maybe that was part of the plan. Put one twin out in the big wide galaxy and stick the other one in the middle of nowhere where Vader would never go as a backup.

You know, considering that the originator of this Brilliant Plan drags Luke off-planet literally the second he realizes that Leia's been captured by the Empire, that's the only explanation that makes sense.
    The problem with that is, owen was kind of obsessed with the idea of luke being like his father. He really didnt want to raise the next generation of mass murdering sith lords, so he tried to keep him a farmer. As for the surname, meh, for all we know, Skywalker is the empires version of Smith. More seriously, there is also the probability that there are more skywalkers in his extended family on tattoine, anakins mom had to come from somewhere after all.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #804
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The problem with that is, owen was kind of obsessed with the idea of luke being like his father. He really didnt want to raise the next generation of mass murdering sith lords, so he tried to keep him a farmer. As for the surname, meh, for all we know, Skywalker is the empires version of Smith. More seriously, there is also the probability that there are more skywalkers in his extended family on tattoine, anakins mom had to come from somewhere after all.
    Skywalker...that's my slave name.

25. - Top - End - #805

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    And you give a slave some common name. or maybe the the name of his profession. like Smith, or Pilot. or maybe Anjin ("Anjin-san") if you happen to be in 17th century Japan. And what did Lars tell young Skywalker his father was (in the movie)? "He was a navigator on a spice freighter."
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2014-03-08 at 12:47 AM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

There's a number of Nounverber-style names in Star Wars. Biggs Darklighter from the original film and his family from the novels, the Sunrider clan from the comics, etc. It probably is a sort of poetic job title, although why someone would have bestowed it on Shmi particularly isn't really clear to me.

It does work for both Luke and Anakin on a few levels, at least. They're natural pilots, galactic travelers, and Jedi (people who can, if not fly, at least jump hella high).
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

Or maybe "Starkiller" is just a manly boasting name, like Magnus Magnussen.

28. - Top - End - #808

It's a big galaxy, Mr. Spock. We don't know Shmi's culture, how she became a slave. or from whom Watto acquired her either (or at least not canonically). Red Cloud or Moonwatcher may seem like merely poetic names too, til you take into account their totemic origins. Muhammad Ali referred to Clay as his "slave name" too. Doesn't mean he wasn't born with it.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2014-03-08 at 01:09 PM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Barbarian in the Playground

I tried looking it up the other day, but I just got fed up with the interminable rehash of semi-relevant tie-in materials.

30. - Top - End - #810

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    One would think a slave name would be something like Dirtworker or something. Naming a slave Skywalker would be very weird. Maybe a sort of high-brow mockery, since both "sky" and "walker" are semantically tied to freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!