New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Darths and Droids III: Search Your DNA Report

I would have no objection to Jar Jar replacing Han's Tauntaun.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Was I the only one who was a little disappointed they copy/pasted the dialogue verbatim from the same scene from the film for today's comic?

Yeah, yeah, I get the resonance they're trying to make here with Jim being just as defined by Solo's character as Solo is by Jim, but still.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    Was I the only one who was a little disappointed they copy/pasted the dialogue verbatim from the same scene from the film for today's comic?

Yeah, yeah, I get the resonance they're trying to make here with Jim being just as defined by Solo's character as Solo is by Jim, but still.
    It worked for me. I like when once in a while they show the movie characters really act like role players and this is not just some crazy alternate reality with only a loose connection to what happened in the movies.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

I was a bit disappointed as well. Not because things didn't happen totally differently, but just that there was no variation other than not calling her 'princess'

I guess I'll just have to wait till thursday to get my next does of D&D brilliance (incidentally, semi-weekly would be 2x a week, but what would 3x a week be called?)

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Susano-wo View Post
    (incidentally, semi-weekly would be 2x a week, but what would 3x a week be called?)
    Tri-weekly. Which could also mean every three weeks, but in this case doesn't English is funny that way.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

6. - Top - End - #156

Devil

that is...silly.
    but thanks for not being too lazy to look it up, unlike me

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    It worked for me. I like when once in a while they show the movie characters really act like role players and this is not just some crazy alternate reality with only a loose connection to what happened in the movies.
    Well, here's my problem: The comic initially started as a spoof of the movies (as well as an opportunity to make jokes about roleplaying tropes), but as it developed it grew into a meta-narrative between the players themselves. Ben, Jim, Annie, Sally, and even Pete have evolved into characters and experience development separate from that of their in-game characters. By now, the spoof element's all but disappeared and the meta-narrative's taken the center stage.

Now, this isn't a bad direction, and it's probably the best thing they could have done given the material: The original trilogy has nowhere near as many plot holes and painful scenes as the prequels, so there's just not as much to make jokes about. It also says something that I seriously care about the relationship between Ben and Sally (well, as much as one could care about fictional people anyway) and I'm dreading what's most likely to happen once Obi Wan bites the dust.

But that's the context I'm judging this comic in: What does it reveal about the (meta-)characters and how does it advance the (meta-)narrative? The answers are "Nothing we didn't already know" and "Not at all." It's the very definition of a filler strip, only there to go through the motions of loosely imitating what's going on in the source film (where it served a purpose that it simply doesn't here). That is what is so disappointing.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Colossus in the Playground

I dont get the authors note. I dont recall Leia flirting with luke when she thought he was a trooper. All she said was, "A little short for a storm trooper, arent you?" Sounded like an insult, or that she realized he was a fake right away. The second of which means luke never should have made it to the prison without being shot in the face plate. Or its a subtle sign of her connection to the force and her instincts being very accurate or something like that.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe it's because of that pose she's laying in? I dunno.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I dont get the authors note. I dont recall Leia flirting with luke when she thought he was a trooper. All she said was, "A little short for a storm trooper, arent you?" Sounded like an insult, or that she realized he was a fake right away. The second of which means luke never should have made it to the prison without being shot in the face plate. Or its a subtle sign of her connection to the force and her instincts being very accurate or something like that.
    It's not just Darths and Droids, Leia's pose, tone, and body language indicating that she is flirting with the Stormtrooper has been a thing I've heard about for awhile. Personally, I don't see it, but then I am normally embarrassingly oblivious to these sort of things.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Well... it's not that prominent, but yeah, the pose and the tone sound very flirting as far as I can recall. I'd guess it was some kind of escape plan or Carrie Fisher thought so... or Leia's just a **** and was alone too long on that cell.

Somehow the dialogue today seems very inconsistent to me for... some reason.
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

I just pulled up the movie and watched that scene again, and while I can sorta see where you're coming from with the pose (though I personally wouldn't call it intentionally sexualized, if it is at all) the tone is definitely not: It sounds like she's being condescending and sarcastic rather than flirty.

Something I did notice, however, is how Luke just stands there and... oogles at her for a second before he takes his mask off. I dunno if that was intentional or not, but it's sorta... creepy as hell?

Fun fact: Real-life siblings who are separated at a young age and then reunited as adults have a tendency to be very attracted to one another. Psychologists disagree as to why, but Luke x Leia is not without... precedent.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Something I did notice, however, is how Luke just stands there and... oogles at her for a second before he takes his mask off. I dunno if that was intentional or not, but it's sorta... creepy as hell?
    Most likely intentional, since they weren't ment to be siblings just as Vadar did kill Luke's father before the retcon of Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars wasn't even named "Episode IV: A New Hope" back then.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Most likely intentional, since they weren't ment to be siblings just as Vadar did kill Luke's father before the retcon of Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars wasn't even named "Episode IV: A New Hope" back then.
    Ahh, that... actually makes a lot of sense. Star Wars was already saturated into popular culture by my time, so I came in already knowing "Luke, I am your father" and stuff by seeing that twist parodied a billion times. I always assumed Obi Wan hid that information from Luke because he didn't want him to feel conflicted about it... Which is exactly what happened.

It also explains why the "reveal" that Luke and Leia were siblings was tossed in seemingly out of nowhere after they had already been involved in a love triangle for the better part of the trilogy, for no apparent reason except to resolve said triangle.

But we're getting off topic.

15. - Top - End - #165

Of course, you have to consider she is wearing the equivalent of a shapeless sack, so pretty face aside, there aint much to ogle at. And to me she just looks like she was lying down. Probably trying to find a semi comfy way to do it. That bed doesnt exactly look well padded. Ok, looking at the clips, her legs are decently highlighted by the outfit, so i guess he is a leg man. :p

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Since we seem to be discussing the attractiveness of Carrie Fisher/Leia... what is the guys take on her... hair? To be honest, I never quite got why it's such a nerd dream. To me it just looks weird and I'd have preferred a normal haircut instead.

Also: The later episodes are a retcon?! Blasphemy, burn in hell, heathens! The allmighty Lucas has all figured out right from the beginning, EVERYTHING!
    Last edited by Kato; 2012-11-23 at 05:29 AM.
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Since we seem to be discussing the attractiveness of Carrie Fisher/Leia... what is the guys take on her... hair? To be honest, I never quite got why it's such a nerd dream. To me it just looks weird and I'd have preferred a normal haircut instead.

Also: The later episodes are a retcon?! Blasphemy, burn in hell, heathens! The allmighty Lucas has all figured out right from the beginning, EVERYTHING!
    The hair itself isnt sexy, its the fact that its HER hair, and no one elses that its a "nerd dream" Its an identifying mark, like Cloud Strifes sword, Nobody else is shown using that look, so they are instantly identified by that feature.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

The question, of course, then becomes "Why do guys find things about Princess Leia attractive merely by association?"

19. - Top - End - #169

The question, of course, then becomes "Why do guys find things about Princess Leia attractive merely by association?"
    Who says they do? What Traab said was "The hair itself isnt sexy ... Its an identifying mark"
    In other words, wearing stucky buns is no different from wearing a Darth Vader mask. It's just the association with an identifiably iconic nerd-culture character that makes it "special." For my part, I can't see why anyone would want to prance around dressed up like Madonna and think that's "attractive" (including but limited to Madonna herself) but they do.

Think about all the people who "identify" with Liza Minnelli's overly made-up character in Cabaret, and then then transfer that sense of "auto identification" to daughter Carrie.

Meh. Not my tastes, but who am I to say what others should like.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-11-23 at 05:42 PM.
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

I'm a guy and I don't see how anyone could think she's pretty or anything. She looks really unhealthy with that bluish/purple skin.

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

On the footnote, I always assumed that it was Leia screwing with her captors' heads for the sake of screwing with them. Like the "foul stench" line on Tarkin when he had almost no reason at all not to just kill her.

Alternatively, she's lying "seductively" because she's a damsel in distress, and she's snarking at a stormtrooper because she's Princess Leia, and the two things are unrelated because George Lucas can't direct his way out of a paper bag.

And Carrie Fisher was very attractive when Star Wars was being filmed, despite the best efforts of her costuming in Ep IV.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2012-11-25 at 11:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Alternatively, she's lying "seductively" because she's a damsel in distress, and she's snarking at a stormtrooper because she's Princess Leia, and the two things are unrelated because George Lucas can't direct his way out of a paper bag.
    Best answer I've heard so far.

Also, am I the only one getting tired of the wookie-gram joke?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'll admit, I don't even get that joke. What does wookie-gram means?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I'll admit, I don't even get that joke. What does wookie-gram means?
    Apparently wookigrams are a thing in this universe. Either an actual wookie, or a guy in a costume comes to your door and delivers a message or whatever. Like a candygram.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Given the context I presumed it was more like a strippergram. (Don't spend too much time imagining how that works.) Either way, it was funny the first time but it's gotten old now that they keep abusing it.
    Last edited by Craft (Cheese); 2012-11-26 at 07:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Either way, it was funny the first time but it's gotten old now that they keep abusing it.
    Soon you will echo Chewie's pain as well. "Wookiegram again? *ROAR* *SMASH*".

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Huh. I just thought they were talking about a Wookie-hologram. As in, a projection, and not an actual Wookie.

What the hell even is a candygram.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    A favorite strategem of the Land Shark

Or, a gift box of chocolates accompanied by a message, delivered to the recipient's door.

http://www.candygram.com/
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-11-27 at 03:20 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Of course, you have to consider she is wearing the equivalent of a shapeless sack, so pretty face aside, there aint much to ogle at.
    Apparently judicious use of tape had to be employed to stop other anatomical attributes from being too prominent with that outfit (pretty sure I read/heard that from a Carrie Fisher interview somewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Huh. I just thought they were talking about a Wookie-hologram. As in, a projection, and not an actual Wookie.

What?! Go thou and watch Blazing Saddles.

Basically, all these things are a variant in the standard telegram (thats like a physical texxt message for you youngsters out there ), starting with a singing telegram (i.e. delivered by someone who would report the message in the form of a song), but the -gram part was purloined as a suffix for various other delivery methods, such as "strippergram", a message delivered by someone who would then procede to remove their clothes (usually reserved for stag/hen parties), or "gorillagram", delivered by someone dressed as a gorilla, or "candygram", a message accompanied by candy (if you're from the US, aka "sweets" in UK, "lollies" in Australia etc. etc.)
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

I see. That sounds... normal enough, I guess.

But I still think it's rather a Wookie-hologram.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).