New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Darths and Droids III: Search Your DNA Report

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Apparently wookigrams are a thing in this universe. Either an actual wookie, or a guy in a costume comes to your door and delivers a message or whatever. Like a candygram.
    What universe? Obviously not the world og Jim&Co since there is no Star Wars there... in the game universe... it seems odd as well, considering this is probably some home-brew thing but maybe people who do like it are also into 2metres tall furries... who knows?

I guess this explanation for the stupidity of the Troopers is as good as any other (or better)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post
    Apparently judicious use of tape had to be employed to stop other anatomical attributes from being too prominent with that outfit (pretty sure I read/heard that from a Carrie Fisher interview somewhere).
    Lucas decreed that there are no bras in space, so she had to be taped down. Not just in that costume, either.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Lucas decreed that there are no bras in space, so she had to be taped down. Not just in that costume, either.
    ...you're serious, aren't you?
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #184
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    ...you're serious, aren't you?
    It's in her memoirs, apparently.

Remember the white dress I wore all through that film [Star Wars]? George [Lucas] came up to me the first day of filming, took one look at the dress and said: "You can't wear a bra under that dress."

"OK, I'll bite," I said. "Why?" And he said: "Because... there's no underwear in space."
    http://www.thegeektwins.com/2010/08/...l#.ULfEG4b5XB0

(Elaboration):
    Spoiler
    Show

On George Lucas not letting her wear a bra in Star Wars: “He has seen [Wishful Drinking] a couple of times and explained the thing about him saying there was no underwear in space.He explained that in space you get weightless so your flesh expands but your bra doesn’t: “So you get STRANGLED by your bra!” So that’s why I couldn’t wear a bra in the first Star Wars. He came backstage when I did the show in San Francisco and told me that. I said, ‘Really? Now I understand everything.”
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-11-29 at 03:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

On George Lucas not letting her wear a bra in Star Wars: “He has seen [Wishful Drinking] a couple of times and explained the thing about him saying there was no underwear in space.He explained that in space you get weightless so your flesh expands but your bra doesn’t: “So you get STRANGLED by your bra!” So that’s why I couldn’t wear a bra in the first Star Wars. He came backstage when I did the show in San Francisco and told me that. I said, ‘Really? Now I understand everything.”
    The problem with that explanation (aside from being false of course; he could have asked Tereshkova*, but when did Lucas "do the research?") is that at no time in the movie is she seen weightless. There's quite clearly artificial gravity on both her own ship and the Death Star, through which she moves quite normally.

* Although to be honest, Tereshkova was never out of her spacesuit, so probably wore only the same sort of cooling garment US astronauts wore, but the issue should have come up in training.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-11-29 at 07:06 PM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    The problem with that explanation (aside from being false of course; he could have asked Tereshkova*, but when did Lucas "do the research?") is that at no time in the movie is she seen weightless. There's quite clearly artificial gravity on both her own ship and the Death Star, through which she moves quite normally.

* Although to be honest, Tereshkova was never out of her spacesuit, so probably wore only the same sort of cooling garment US astronauts wore, but the issue should have come up in training.
    That is the explanation he gave, and it should be pretty obvious that Lucas is full of nonsense (pretty sure the 'did his research' is being sarcastic in the article).
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-11-29 at 07:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Really? My first guess for why Star Wars has no underwear would be the same reason they don't have paper.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    Really? My first guess for why Star Wars has no underwear would be the same reason they don't have paper.
    Because George Lucas is dumb?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I'll bite. What's the Star Wars explanation for not having paper? Because they are resolute environmentalists and would never harm a plant if they can use a digital device?
    "What's done is done."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Colossus in the Playground

The EU's made occasional references, but normally to parchment rather than paper- in the case of old books.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #191

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. What's the Star Wars explanation for not having paper? Because they are resolute environmentalists and would never harm a plant if they can use a digital device?
    never mind the environmental hell that is electronics waste :D

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I'll bite. What's the Star Wars explanation for not having paper?
    Just try making paper without having invented the wheel first.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Really? I thought that one'd be common knowledge. My mistake. Anyway, the reason there's no paper in the Star Wars universe is to make it feel more alien and exotic. Not having paper for all the little things we use it for in day-to-day life means the writers have to come up with other ways of doing the same things, though they most often holograms. There's lots of other little details like that too, like how just about everything hovers off the ground instead of using wheels, and how you only ever see droids doing menial labor in the background, never people.

Granted, the galaxy not having underwear is something... unlikely to actually come up in space opera adventure stories, to say the least. But still, it's a mildly interesting bit of worldbuilding in the same vein as the paperless thing and it's leaps and bounds better than the decompression thing.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Susano-wo View Post
    never mind the environmental hell that is electronics waste :D
    The most alien thing of all in Star Wars is that they don't actually throw away old electronics. They repair stuff instead of just tossing it in the bin and buying a new one. And for things that actually get abandoned, there are scavengers that salvage them, such as the Jawas or Watto.
    Tangentially related, there's no advertising billboard every three meters telling people to buy the latest useless gizmo.

All of a sudden, the Star Wars universe sounds like a cool place to live.
    Last edited by Gez; 2012-12-01 at 07:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    The most alien thing of all in Star Wars is that they don't actually throw away old electronics. They repair stuff instead of just tossing it in the bin and buying a new one. And for things that actually get abandoned, there are scavengers that salvage them, such as the Jawas or Watto.
    Tangentially related, there's no advertising billboard every three meters telling people to buy the latest useless gizmo.

What about the waste the Imperial Destroyer threw away in ESB?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    What about the waste the Imperial Destroyer threw away in ESB?
    It was Vader's old ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

17. - Top - End - #197

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post

I dunno, that has the earmarks of a decaying civilization. No real improvements, just reusing the old is a bad sign to me. Of course, its so far in advance of what WE have that aside from, losing lots of women to childbirth because they are sad, we would still enjoy greatly improved lifestyles to what we have now. (hopefully)
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I dunno, that has the earmarks of a decaying civilization. No real improvements, just reusing the old is a bad sign to me. Of course, its so far in advance of what WE have that aside from, losing lots of women to childbirth because they are sad, we would still enjoy greatly improved lifestyles to what we have now. (hopefully)
    Well, you need to find a balance between recycling and progressing... throwing away your old mobile because it is - oh shock - a year old which seems to be normal for quite a few people nowadays may be progressive but also terribly stupid in economic regards...
    But yeah, Star Wars always seemd to me to be "as far we can get" technology wise. There is no progress, i anything, there's... what's the opposite? Regress? Old Republic seems to be more advanced than the trilogy. That might just be incidental but still... Maybe in another thousand years they'll be back to pre-FTL era.
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #199

But yeah, Star Wars always seemd to me to be "as far we can get" technology wise. There is no progress, i anything, there's... what's the opposite? Regress? Old Republic seems to be more advanced than the trilogy. That might just be incidental but still... Maybe in another thousand years they'll be back to pre-FTL era.
    It's definetly not that. Just imagine that the Old Republic was a time of peace and opulence, where every ship and technology could afford to be pristine, stylish and cute.

During the original trilogy, we have went through a period of civil war. Resources are more scarce. Ships are designed to be fast to build and efficient of resources, not to be pretty.
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2012-12-01 at 12:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    It's definetly not that. Just imagine that the Old Republic was a time of peace and opulence, where every ship and technology could afford to be pristine, stylish and cute.

During the original trilogy, we have went through a period of civil war. Resources are more scarce. Ships are designed to be fast to build and efficient of resources, not to be pretty.
    This is true, but I will say that the Star Wars galaxy is very technologically stagnant, once you take the EU into consideration. All the cool stuff - starships, hyperdrive, blasters, lightsabers - have existed for thousands or tens of thousands of years, only receiving incremental improvements in power, capabilities, or technique of use. Galactic government went through a lot of expansion, retraction, and upheavals, but it's not being too generous at all to say the Republic stood for over 25,000 years without so much as an interplanetary revolution (outside invasions of butthurt Force-users are another story). Hell, a lot of the technology of the setting is even older than any of this: gifted, reverse-engineered, or plain copied from civilizations that existed before any species extant in the movies had discovered hyperdrive.

The Star Wars galaxy is one where a technological singularity seems not to exist, and all the major revolutions have happened. They're just improving what they have incrementally, with no truly out-there inventions left to be invented.

I mean, hell, even the Death Star is just the ultimate application of engineering and weapons-design principles that have existed since time immemorial. It's big, but it's not clever.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2012-12-01 at 06:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

21. - Top - End - #201

Galactic government went through a lot of expansion, retraction, and upheavals, but it's not being too generous at all to say the Republic stood for over 25,000 years without so much as an interplanetary revolution (outside invasions of butthurt Force-users are another story).
    The Essential Guide to Warfare does suggest that the Republic has had some pretty major wars- not all of which were invasions from an outside faction.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, you need to find a balance between recycling and progressing... throwing away your old mobile because it is - oh shock - a year old which seems to be normal for quite a few people nowadays may be progressive but also terribly stupid in economic regards...
    A common misconception. Recycling is not free. In many cases it's cheaper to just make new from scratch than try to salvage/repair/upgrade old parts. A good example of this is recycled paper: It's only economical to use it for low-quality products because it's all but impossible to salvage the paper without drastically reducing the fiber length (which is critical for smooth, soft surfaces).

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

A common misconception. Recycling is not free. In many cases it's cheaper to just make new from scratch than try to salvage/repair/upgrade old parts. A good example of this is recycled paper: It's only economical to use it for low-quality products because it's all but impossible to salvage the paper without drastically reducing the fiber length (which is critical for smooth, soft surfaces).
    I'm more talking about just keeping using your old phone until it is actually either broken or so old it doesn't suit your needs anymore... and about the economics of your own bank account. Of course "recycling" in the sense of "breaking it down and making something new out of it" is not cheap but e.g. handing it down to someone else who might not need the newest model is also a way to recycle or maybe better reuse it.
    Poor choice of words from my side. Can we agree on the more fleshed out argument?

So... Jango Fett was not only a crappy shooter, he was also crappy at knock knock jokes... Just imagine what would have happened if they had cloned an actually skilled Mandalorian! The rebellion might have never had a chance!
    "What's done is done."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

So... Jango Fett was not only a crappy shooter, he was also crappy at knock knock jokes... Just imagine what would have happened if they had cloned an actually skilled Mandalorian! The rebellion might have never had a chance!
    Why hello there Lamarck.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Why hello there Lamarck.
    Well, what is the big point in cloning a master bounty hunter if SW doesn't have a certain kind of genetic memory? Or at least a big part of a person's skills are bound to his DNA. Are you saying they just screwed up the training of every single clone that was sorely supposed to be a soldier?
    Last edited by Kato; 2012-12-05 at 02:26 PM.
    "What's done is done."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Well, what is the big point in cloning a master bounty hunter if SW doesn't have a certain kind of genetic memory? Or at least a big part of a person's skills are bound to his DNA. Are you saying they just screwed up the training of every single clone that was sorely supposed to be a soldier?
    Yes.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

27. - Top - End - #207

In the EU there's a way of copy-pasting a character's memories. If they messed that up- or it needs actual training on top of that to get the skills down firmly- might explain why the clones are inferior to their template in ability.

Inborn stuff that might have given Jango an edge over other bounty hunters- perhaps the ability to learn skills rapidly, good reflexes, and so forth.

28. - Top - End - #208

I don't think the clones were given any training. The Caminoans had them on an accelerated growth path that allowed them to grow to adulthood in a few years - less time really then it takes to properly train a good soldier even if he starts in his late teens. They may well have implanted certain knowledge alone with the "special orders" but seem to have overlooked entirely the required physical conditioning - which could not be so easily imparted. Or perhaps like Heinlein's Bugs their own kind are hatched with all the combat skills they need, and assumed that would be true of the clone troopers as well?
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

There's training for clones in the EU. Up to and including live fire exercises. The Republic Commando books go into more detail about the overall training patterns (particularly Triple Zero) but it was certainly intended to be there.

30. - Top - End - #210

Not to mention the training scenes in the TCW series.

With a 10 year growth cycle, the clones have a certain amount of time to work with.

I think only the "Spaartii clones" grown in a year or less, were heavily reliant on imprinted knowledge rather than training.