New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Deepest Song [IC]

Haldis turned to Alexander and Aerhin and smiled gratefully.

"What an incredibly generous proposal! I would be incredibly pleased to receive any assistance that the either of you have to offer." He smiled sadly at Tolan. "I don't suppose you would like to be the 'person I can count on to not fail,' would you? As you say, I can use all the help I can get."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

MITCH stands there momentarily perplexed then says outloud in a matter of fact manner "Organic based life forms speak with one another in order to over come their intrinsic paranoia and as a means to build working relationships. Now tell me, does this in anyway relate to coitus between organic based life forms or is my data bank inaccurate? He looks down at the reptile and studies it for a moment "Ahh, Crocodylus niloticus, water born predator. Diet consists primarily of fish and mammals and has been known to create symbiotic relationships with specific avian species. I have also heard that the flesh of this animal 'Tastes like chicken'... Scanning databanks for entries regarding 'chicken' and 'taste'."
    Blarg...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

A faint blush crept up on Aearhin as Alexander answered his introduction. Once again he had acted, or in this case spoken, before thinking. "Ah, well, what I was referring to was actually my name. Sea-Child is a rough translation of my name Aearhin and not some reference to any racial qualities... though I guess it's to late for caution now. No doubt you would have figured it out soon enough, but yes, you could say that the sea is as much my home as the dry land." He shakes his head at himself for giving away so much of his identity to a total stranger. He really should learn to be more cautious. Visibly pulling himself back to the reality, Aearhin extends his free hand. "Anyways, nice to meet you Alexander."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alexander/Ariel

Good, the Professor and Aearhin both liked the idea it seemed. Now the main person of concern - the rogue - was left to speak up on the idea. Resuming the pattern with replying first to MITCH, his head shook as he spoke, "To overcome uncertainties, maybe. I wouldn't go as far as paranoia though ... not with this group anyways. Depends on the people but ... I don't quite sense that here."

Looking from Aearhin's face to his hand, he advanced forward to get closer, getting rid of some of the gaps that had been between the two. His head bowed as he slowly took the hand with his left one, his right continuing to hold onto his spear. "Ah ... I see. Well ... probably. People, I've noted, have ways of finding such things out." His own words made him more astonished he'd been able to keep this guise up for so long, really. The words that had just left his lips he had known and seen to be true. Giving his head a small bow, he added, "A pleasure as well. If you wish to discuss ... your origins elsewhere in a more secluded place, I'd like to hear of them. Assuming, of course, you don't mind that is."
    Last edited by VirgoBushin; 2012-09-10 at 10:02 AM.
    ~Married to Tsumeken in real life on May 31, 2010~
    Characters I'm Currently Playing::
    Spoiler
    Show

None at the moment

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Ah, MITCH was it? You have an excellent point. Many weaker creatures have methods of making them seem to be stronger than they really are. However, some creatures also bear bright colors and boistrous markings to advertise how dangerous they are. I like to fancy myself the latter kind, although you are entitled to your own opinion in that matter." Smiling once again, Tolan turns to Alexander and proceeds to respond to his proposal. "I would be glad to do anything that will let me get out of this hole..." Turning quickly to the bartender, "No offense, I've just been here for a while now and it's starting to wear on me. I need to get out." Returning to Alexander, "As such I will gladly accept your offer of temporary companionship. Shall we go in search for the knights? Or perhaps we could follow up on the Professors as of yet undisclosed theory. I personally vote that we go check on the knights. After all, as our good friend the Lieutenant has mentioned, they believed they may have found the source of this whole mess. So who knows, maybe we can kill both birds at the same time and also confirm or deny the Haldis' theory. Regardless, I'm sure it'll be better than sitting around doing nothing. And who knows, maybe I'll have the opportunity to prove to MITCH that my colors aren't just to look pretty."

Hitching his bag up a little more onto his shoulder, Tolan walks over the thable that the Lieutanent had been passed out on until recently and seats himself beside the drunken man while placing an arm around the mans shoulders, leaning heavily on him. "So my sorry sack of sodden flesh, where might these guards have been headed? Maybe we can take a few burdens off your shoulder," Tolan lifts his arm from around the man, "So you aren't feeling all the stress. Maybe then you'll be in a good enough position to try and sober up and hop back on the wagon." He hoped that the drunkard would be to inebriated to notice the insult, but didn't really care whether or not the man reacted to it.

Being the guy he is, Tolan is mainly just saying all of this to get on peoples nerves. It's entertainment, and that has been something he's been lackig for some time. However, he's not a complete ass and the insult to the guard was also intended as a heads up to the guard and the advice was genuine. He probably was a decent man at one time, but the pressure got to him. Maybe there's still hope for him to at least crawl part way out of the hole he's dug for himself. Besides, Tolan thinks, What's wrong with doing a good deed every now and then. It might pay off, and I'll be able to get out of here and move around some more.

"Oh and Haldis, you can count on me if you so wish, but that doesn't mean I won't fail. His smile fell slightly. Even though Tolan may wish otehrwise, he was still human, and he'd had his fair share of mishaps in the past. The earliest of which had proven to him that he couldn't count even on those people who he had thought closest to him. If worst cam to worst, Tolan would prioritize his life over the lives of this rag tag bunch. After all, you never when one of them is going to betray you, might as well do it first, IF the need arose.
    Last edited by hpboy111; 2012-09-10 at 10:13 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

The man just looks confused, who the hell were these people, had he been punked? He was still buzzed but merely nodded at whatever the man around his shoulder was saying. He looked at the others before speaking, "They went to a temple, it's supposedly nearby and used to be used to worship some water fairy or something." He draws a crude map in the dust on the table before wiping it away in frustration.

"Ive got a map!" the barkeep shouts, retrieving it from the counter. "If you folks really mean to go then be careful, the land around here used to be a forest but the area they're heading is swampland now."
    "Minotaur Rouges are awesome. After all, has anyone ever told you they were mugged by a 7ft tall cow-man before?"

One Piece Manual [In the Works, Feel Free to Check it Out!]

~Married to VirgoBushin in real life on May 31, 2010~

7. - Top - End - #37

Haldis grinned at Tolan's reaction.

"Well he certainly is proactive." He said to his new-found companions. "While I can't say I agree with his methods, I can say I agree with his results! A Water Temple! How grand!" His smile grew even wider. "I hope you don't mind, but would it be alright if I disclosed my theory as we made our way to the Temple? While the two may not be related... Well, it may be easier for me to make connections, and perhaps I may even be able to recall some useful information for our quest."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

"Great! It should feel just like home then." Detemined to put his earlier flustered state behind him, Aearhin cheerfully accepts the map from the bartender and brings it over to the table. "Now where would this temple be?"

9. - Top - End - #39

MITCH, after remaining silent for several moments suddenly announces "Search Results for 'chicken' 5957, primary answer yields a depiction of an elderly human in a white suit and black rimmed spectacle with military designation; talks with strange accent.... definition of chicken: a small, relatively flightless avian domesticized for use of it's egg laying abilities or farmed for its flesh. See also coops and farms for further reference. Taste, definition: a sense linked with scent conducted with the use of specialized receptors on the tongue which convert chemical stimuli to electrical nerve impulses that are then processed in the olfactory lobe of the brain. Both searches in conjuntion yield 1,203,247,205 results primarily referring to the taste of reptillian meat. Thank you and have a nice day..."

MITCH pauses for a moment then looks at the loud man "...Sir, you do not have colours other than an off pink pigment generated by your melanocytes. As for reference to beauty I have been given standard examples in my databanks to determine beauty and when crossreferenced with you facial features you do not qualify... For you are neither of the female gender nor are you a sunset or flower. In regards to your proposal; I concur, reconnaissance in field of missing knights would be a worthy endeavor. I recommend we suspend further conversation and begin excution of said objective."
    Blarg...

10. - Top - End - #40

Alexander/Ariel

Thank gods a suggestion he gave went well for once. Usually ... it was the opposite effect. Sighing softly in relief, he went to check the map, standing a bit beside Aearhin but still giving him some space all the same. Though his eyes remained down at the map, his words were directed to the Professor. "By all means, please do explain. Any leads would be great. I've been here for a year now trying to figure this all out ... much easier said than done needless to say."

An internal sigh - one that he refused to let leave his lips but only echo in his mind - was heard at the mentioning of a water temple. Well ... thankfully he could swim damn well. It was times like this he was glad to be more than a mere human. It was then, however, another thought came to him. Continuing to gaze at the map, he mused aloud, "I can swim very well but ... who else can? If this is a Water Temple we're about to deal with .... that may be helpful. My spells that I do have do not quite aid in that aspect."
    Spoiler
    Show

None at the moment

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

yuk Re: The Deepest Song [IC]

the map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fear my mappy making skills

"They probably got lost in the swamp, be careful they animals haven't been to restful with the constant drenching either."
    "Minotaur Rouges are awesome. After all, has anyone ever told you they were mugged by a 7ft tall cow-man before?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Well Alex, you don't mind if I call you Alex do you? Anyways, I know HOW to swim, but that doesn't mean I'm very good at it. If I had a bigger bag, I might be able to help some of you who are less not so good at swimming, but unfortunately, I'd be hard pressed to fit even one person in a bag this big." He points over his shoulder to the bag on his back, feeling no need to mention that it's bigger on the inside.

Taking a quick peek at the map, Tolan notices that there is no scale. "So about how far is this temple. The direction seems to be well defined but I'd like to know how far we'll be walking."

13. - Top - End - #43

Alexander/Ariel

The very slightest hint of a smirk crossed Alexander's lips as his head slowly shook no. "Don't mind at all. Alex or Alexander will suffice. And better to know how to even if you're not the best at it than not knowing at all." Continuing to gaze down at the map, his ears remained ready to hear the others' replies.
    Spoiler
    Show

None at the moment

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

The dwarf walks over looking at his crude map and scratches his chin through his beard. "last time I went, it was about day, half a days trip... I'd say about 50 miles or so."

15. - Top - End - #45

Haldis' eyes lit up as the mechanical henchman began to spout its knowledge.

"MITCH! That is absolutely fantastic! What else do you have stored in that magnificent chassis of yours?" Suddenly hearing Alexander's voice, he turned to the young man and smiled apologetically. ""Terribly sorry! I tend to get a tad overenthusiastic at times, and occasionally tune out the world around me. Anyway you were sayin- Ah! Leads! Right! Well you see, this all takes me back to my theory, which I will expound to you thusly."

"You see, I have been researching the nature of the storm since it first become apparent that it far more than a standard natural disaster. Granted, that is not a significant period of time, considering how it was only around four months ago, but working theories have been constructed in less time than that. For example, Dormius Callipian was able to postulate the exact formula for the resonance of the Divine implicit to the various shapes and textures of tree bark, but I digress.

"Anyway, quite early on in my studies, I realized that I may have found a workable theory of my own. In the Academy's archives, I came across an old tome written by the scholar and pioneer Elduin Glimmerspear, a half-elf from the far north. To Elduin, the coasts fascinated him, because he hailed from a land of nothing but, well, trees and hail. So to him, the vast, blue sea was the most magnificent thing he had ever seen! He devoted all of his time and energy to exploring the ocean deep. He prepared, and even created, spells of his own in order to further his research.

"One day, while he delving the depths, he felt the water, moving around him. Not like a current, but all at once, as though someone had shoved all of the liquid in the ocean to the side, and then back again. And then he heard it. At first, a high, feminine voice, it niggled its way into his skull and through his limbs. The world pulsed around him. Curious, he kept swimming, and the voice grew louder. He swam, and he swam, and he swam, until the voice deafened him. Even then, he kept swimming, and swimming, and swimming! It filled his thoughts, pounding in time to a beat that could not be heard, only felt. And he swam, and he swam, and he swam, until his eyes bulged from the pressure and his limbs were so sore that he could push himself through the water. The song overwhelmed him.

"When he awoke, he had washed up on the shore, and it was raining.

"You see, Elduin was not the only one to have experienced the song! Among the fisherpeople, the sailors, the Merfolk, the Locathah, there are legends, thousands of them, that all describe the exact same thing! The resonant sensations that rattle within the skull! The thrumming of the moisture in the air and water around you! An indistinct voice that ripples through the very essence of your being!
    Haldis took a deep breath. "They call it the Deepest Song. And if I'm right, then it just might have something to do with this."

He smiled at the party, his distant eyes filled with fierce determination. Suddenly, they widened again, and he turned to Alexander with an apologetic expression.

"Oh, yes! I have some spells prepared that allow an individual to breathe underwater for a short period of time. Hopefully, that will be enough for this little mission of ours."

16. - Top - End - #46

MITCH says thoughtfully "Oh yes... that's right you organics need to use a differnt type of locomotion due to the density of your tissue... I must say i do rather enjoy casual walks at the bottom of vairous bodies of water. The ecosystems present are most fascinating though without my ability to engage chemotaxic functions I would be rather blind."
    Blarg...

17. - Top - End - #47

Alexander/Ariel

The entire time the Professor spoke, Alexander stayed deathly quiet. The legend intrigued him ... more than anyone could even begin to guess. He had never once heard of this ever. Then again, he had been raised to focus on more 'royal' issues anyways. He probably hadn't been given any opportunities to try to hear of this. Then not long after he left his home, he got abducted for a bit by pirates of all things. Damn greedy sea dogs.

The memory made a light shiver trail down his spine. Remembering the idea of 'walking and talking', Alexander at least decided to get ready but not quite head out, per se. Going out the front door, he gave a small smile to Thorn. "Well we're about to head out soon enough. You've been more than patient enough with me. You should be able to find a meal easy enough."

Even while remaining outside, he kept himself close enough to be able to hear anyone else from inside. A slow nod left as he heard the Professor could aid out those whom may not have any way or knowledge on swimming. "Good ... that would be much appreciated. Thank you." Pulling back on his raven ponytail once again, another soft sigh left as his eyes looked out past the darkness and towards the waters, allowing himself to get lost in his thoughts while he could do so.
    Spoiler
    Show

None at the moment

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Now that they had decided on a course of action you could almost feel the excitement rising. Abandoning the map to those with better skill Aearhin turns to Alexander. "Well, I guess it is appearant that I can handle myself in the water. Should it be necessary I'm sure I could help some of you guys as well." With one last glance at the map Aearhin adresses the bartender. "Do you know anything else about this temple? If I understand correctly you have been there. Any information you might have could be usefull."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech

Having finished his meal as well as two pints and absorbing the mass of information and conversation that had flowed around him while he did so, Erech stands up and stretches. "I'd love to join this little expedition as well. As far as water travel goes, I can arrange it so I can either walk on the water or breath under it, but I'd have to choose one or the other, and it would mean I'm slightly less effective with this," he says indicating an ornate rapier on his left hip. "But that's okay. No worries, mates," he adds with a wide grin of his brilliant white teeth. "I'm a fair hand in combat e'en so, and have more'n a few other tricks up my sleeves, ta boot!"

He bows to all those gathered near the bar, sweeping his hat a hairsbreadth from touching the floor. "For those that weren't privy to my earlier introduction, I am Erech Agius, Explorer Extroardinaire!" As he rises from his bow, he allows the hat to roll on its brim along his arm and onto his tilted head.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2012-09-10 at 10:01 PM.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

20. - Top - End - #50

"Erech!" Haldis patted his first new friend on the back. "I am so pleased that you decided to join us! Sorry for my previous divergence in attention; I suppose I got rather absorbed in another matter. That tends to happen all to often. I do hope that I did not offend you." He smiled at the bigger man. "You said that you too are capable of granting others the ability to breathe in a liquid medium, is that correct?" He eyed Erech curiously. "How do you do it?"

But no sooner had Hal finished speaking, than his eyes began to wander, finally coming to rest on the magical fire that that lit the room. His thoughts began to whirl and jump within his head as he stared past flames, until suddenly he burst out:

"This is Daesin!"

He turned to Erech with a big grin plastered to his face.

"I think I've heard of this temple before! He said as he placed both his hands on the darker man's shoulders. "It's a Sahuagin Temple! To a female deity!" Hal shook Erech excitedly, without actually moving him in the slightest. He gasped. "I wonder if she could be the source of the voice..." His voice trailed off before he quickly hurried over to examine the map more closely.
    Last edited by Machuchang; 2012-09-11 at 12:30 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

As Haldis excitedly reveals the identity of the temple a profound look of disgust, even hatred maybe, flashes over Aearhins face. "Sahuagin," he almost growels "then this temple must be dedicated to She-Who-Teaches, the foul goddess who created these most evil creatures." He looks around the group with dark eyes. "If this is one of their temples then nothing but evil can come from it. It must be cleansed and distroyed, for the good of all."
    Last edited by Grishnakh; 2012-09-11 at 06:02 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Alexander/Ariel

Sahaguin ..... now there was a word he hadn't heard in years. Though he himself had never had any personal experiences with them, it seemed that it may appear otherwise from the mere tone within Aearhin's voice. Now he definitely wanted to know more of him. But he'd still continue to wait for later ... probably whenever they ceased to rest up. Right now though, his mind worked on getting into the correct set, now knowing what was to be expected.
    Spoiler
    Show

None at the moment

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech

"No worries, mate!" Erech said as he patted the Professor on the back. "And I cannot give the ability to others, only myself. Sorry if there's any confusion."

He watched as Haldis' mind spun around the details he was about to reveal, understanding the focus needed to cycle through vast amounts of information to find the one tidbit you sought. When Haldis shared his revelation, Erech was taken aback. "Sahaguin?"

Idly scratching his goatee, Erech mused silently to himself. Hmmm... Mebbe I'll go with Eurynome through the swamps and switch to Focalor at the temple proper? Yes, I think that'll work well.

He looks at the newly formed group and smiles again. "So who has experience with these beasties? Aearhin? You seem...Certain of them. Can you share with the group so we may know what to expect?"
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

24. - Top - End - #54

MITCH goes silent his eyes revert into the dull grey of inactivity Searching data for entries associated with 'Sahaguin' and 'She-who-teaches'....please remember to always keep you armor polished keeping up appearences always goes a long way...*insert elevator music*...are you still there? Your search is very valuable to us and we appreciate your holding ...*resume elevator music*...please be aware that though a woodchuck may chuck wood, you should never chuck children...*music*............Search complete; results indicate zero entries regarding query terms, thank you and have a super day! MITCH's eye revert to their normal blue he looks down at Aearhin thoughtfully "Sir if you would be so kind to turn around and hold still, I require information on this Sahaguin and I would like to request a data uplink with you. It would only be a minor incision into your skull with a probe going directly into your hypothalamus; I am told it will only be excrutiating for the duration of the data transfer." He looks oddly hopeful as he makes his request.
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2012-09-11 at 08:23 AM.
    Blarg...

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Aearhin regards the warforged with a slightly puzzled and indeed apprehencive look, not sure if the machine might be joking or if it is even capable of it. "Uhm, I'd really rather not." Just to be certain he backs up half a step. "About these Sahuagin, they are despicable and evil creatures, the enemies of all good aquatic races. Much as I hate to admit it, they are to be considered intelligent and often wield weapons. On their own the are not much to worry about or even in small groups, but then again if there are larger numbers, who can say."

Spoiler
    Show
    Aearhin will reveal any usefull information he has on the abilities of the Sahuagin, but I will leave it up to the DM to decide how much he actually knows.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Who cares about the race that used to use this temple for worship. It's old, run down, abandoned by the sounds of things. I doubt we'll have to worry about any of these Sahugain things... actually, on second thought, what with the area having turned into a swamp, I think the chances of aquatic creatures showing up there has increased somewhat. Does it really matter though? If we run into, we kill them and move on with our lives. You guys seem to hate them enough as it is."

Turning inward with his conversation now, Tolan continues. Of course, regardless of whether or not we ncounter anything, my priority is loot. Temples are always full of expensive goodies to steal. An old abandoned one is bound to have been ransacked before but there still might be a few things lying around. And if anything has occupied the temple since it was last in use, I can filtch the stuff that the new guys brought in. Second priority is finding those knights. Third is finding what they were after. Ok, seems simple enough.

Grin on his face, Tolan once again looks at the Lieutenent and says, "You and I are going to have a conversation when I get back." Then turning his focus to the rest of the group, "Ok, what say you to getting this show on the road now?" Not waiting for a response, Tolan strolls right out the door into the drenching rain where he waits next to the door for everyone else.

27. - Top - End - #57

MITCH listens attently but one could almost sense an aura of disappointment coming from the contruct. He looks at the loud one and gives a look of puzzlement "Of course it matters, when running into unknown situations it is best to know what one could encounter at any given scenario to ensure proper risk assessment for strategic purposes... though I suppose you lack a proper processor though running blindly into battle by most standards is considered foolhardy and borderline suicidal... Are you suicidal? Do you have repressed memories of your father? Did he touch you!?! Tell me about what you... 'feel' when you're alone, did you have a happy child hood did your mother breast feed you? One of my programmed features is morale boosting and thus dealing with depressed commrades... I can give you a hug Mr. Loud Depressed Human!" He walks over with his large mechanical arms extended for a bone crushing embrace.
    Blarg...

28. - Top - End - #58

Alexander/Ariel

Alexander, whom had been out for a while not and actually enjoying the rain, bowed his head once Tolan finally stepped out. "Ah nice of you to join. I'm assuming the others will follow suit soon enough then?" Keeping his spear held in his right hand, his eyes looked right into the rogue's. It was his silent way of trying to size up if the huge ego he'd been so very fond of displaying would be able to be backed up once they got to the Temple.
    Spoiler
    Show

None at the moment

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Stopping in the doorway when he hears MITCH's words, Tolan turns a full 180 degrees back into the tavern, ignoring Alexander's greeting and holding up a finger to him. Tolan marches right up to MITCH and stares up into the face of the construct which stands a full foot taller than him.

In the deepest voice, most threatening voice he can manage, Tolan says,"Be thankful your a machince or I would gut you where you stand." Tolan's hand rest on the rapier at his waist. If I were suicidal, I wouldn't have lived to the age of seven, let alone 19! You do not know anything about me, nor do I expect anything that lacks something as simple as a sense of humor could ever know me! So shut up with the postulations about my parents, my childhood, my relationship with them! It's none of your business! And if you touch me, I swear to any god who's willing to listen, that I will run you through!" Backing up a few steps, Tolan continues in a slightly less angry voice. "And for your information, I do not rush blindly into a situation. What you are combating doesn't matter. What matters is how you are going about trying to fight it. That can't be determined until the specific terrain of the area that you will be fighting the creature in has been discovered. Only after you know the terrain, furniture, hazards and obstacles can you deal with the challenge at hand."

Turning around once again on his heels, Tolan marches right back out the door and takes up his position next to the door. He lets out a sigh and says to Alexander in a voice that is almost identical to his normal cheerful voice, "Yeah, I expect them to be out shortly."

30. - Top - End - #60

Alexander/Ariel

Another light smirk crossed his lips upon hearing the conversation between MITCH and Tolan. Arrogance plus anger could be a bad combination but ... only time would tell how exactly this rogue would truly fare. Squeezing a bit of the rain out from his ponytail, he gave a light nod. "Good. I'm ready to get this done ... " He murmured, pulling his ponytail to ensure it remained bound by the band. Letting his hands go back to his sides, he then tapped against his right hip gently, signaling to Thorn they were going to head out soon enough.
    Last edited by VirgoBushin; 2012-09-11 at 10:35 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

None at the moment