New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Help me name organisations etc.? :)

I am building a world, but i need a little help coming up with some good names.

Here is a thread that i made with ideas and thoughts on this campaign: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252755

So its an urban setting, and there are 4 major parties in this city.

1. A council of Elans, striving for power and has a major plan of creating a big army of Immortal soldiers!

2. The military / Police force. (Controlled by the council)

3. The Resistance. This is an underground group that is fighting the system.

4. The Thieves Guild.

So my thoughts on the names:
    1. Something that sounds professional. Like The Royal Council, High Council or something like that.
    2. Again, something official and professional. Maybe even just call it "The Military Force"
    3. This is where i am a little lost, and need inspiration the most.
    4. I actually thought of calling this the thieves guild, but that might be too boring, and seen too many times.

[Side Question]
    What free program can i use to make a city map? With hundreds of individual houses?
    [/Side Question]

I hope to be inspired by the great minds of this forum! :)
    And if you don' contribute, i would like to thank you for taking the time to get to this point! :)

Have a Lovely day! :) :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Help me name organisations etc.? :)

1) The Grand Marshals, The Lord Chancellors, The High Congress, The Senate Imperium,

2) The Grand Empirial Army, The Inquisitors, The "Counsil's" (or whichever name you pick) Fist, The Closed Fist

3) The Free People of (Enter city name), The New Brotherhood, The Ghosts of (City Name), The People's Hammer

4) The Shadow Thieves (Classic), Hand-over-fist Gang, The Gilded Rose, Stalkers of (Enter city), Night's (or knights which totally changes the meaning) Dagger, The Streets Justice

Just some that come to mind right now

Cartographers guild is almost always a great choice
    Last edited by Doc_Pippin; 2012-09-09 at 05:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Thanks a lot! I was stuck on the names for a while! :)

I am sorry for my late answer, i've been out of town.

And i will give Cartographers guild a try! (I've had problems finding map-creation tools in the past! :)

Have a lovely day and thank you very much for your help! :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

1) The Chancellery, Maybe the Central Committee? The Council of (How ever many seats are available), The bi tri quad penta hexa hepta commission/committee.

2) Committee for State Security (C.S.S), Internal Security Committee (I.S.E), when it comes to secret police and state police, I find spooky acronyms help. Think the KGB, SS, and others from our own world and history. Heck even the FBI and CIA. Sometimes just an acronym does well.

Or something slightly innocuous, like the Di Lee in Avatar the Last Airbender. Perhaps its just the Ministry of Culture? Or the Eyes of the King? Ministry of Peace? Ministry of Vice and Virtue? In that vein you have a seemingly pleasant sounding defenders whom could be rather ominous.

3) Something inconspicuous, something difficult for the state to track, maybe something as simple as the "The Patriots" or something like the "The Union of _______"

4) The Red Rose Society? Something dramatic, or gang like. Think Gangs of the 1920's maybe?
    Last edited by Tzi; 2012-09-12 at 10:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Thanks for the reply friend!:)

All replies and suggestions are great inspiration!:) I am putting much effort into this campaign, so everything matters a lot to me!

The Last Airbender is a good source of inspiration! Thanks for reminding me of that one!

Thanks a lot for the answer, it really helps!

Kind regards - Jim! :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

No problem, if you need anymore help with world building feel free to PM me I have an almost crazy collection of Material on it.
    Last edited by Doc_Pippin; 2012-09-23 at 04:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

That is so very nice of you! :)

I am working on this world, but it takes ages! Mainly because i am not working on it every day!

I will PM you for sure! - I was supposed to build the world with a friend, but he only helps, when i ask for it! And i hate to keep pushing, so i am more or less alone!

So your assistance and friendliness means very much to me!

Kind regards - Jim aka Xnos.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

No problem at all I understand the difficulty of World build more than most I have spent the Past two years building a Campaign for when I get home (Military stationed over seas) And it seems to take Forever to get any aspect finished. I like to work on the details of the world like trees, plants, non-battle fit animals, economics, natural disasters, cultural and racial traits, even down to why certain races are racist vs other races many time Im not satisfied with the regular versions of why. Motive is VERY important to me so Elves hate Orcs because their gods disagree... No thank you. I changed it up alot. In my World, Elves recieve their Imoortality from a highly poisonous fruit that they eat, called Dawnberries. Orcs have had a tendancy to try and eat/steal/cut down/ or any other various ways to ruin the very limited supply of Dawnberries still available to the Elves.

I think things like that flesh out the world, and really boost the believablity of the game. Players can believe an Elf's digestive system has evolved differently to allow the consumption of Dawnberries leading to making the races less similar (Far to close to each other IMHO) it also explains why they are so long lived. The Toxin is actually psuedo-magical in nature and instead of poisoning people it just causes super-juvination, or reverse aging to much which causes many things to die. Due to the Elves slow digestion they feel the effects over a much longer (Decades) time frame so it isn't a racial trait to live a 1000+ years its a steady supply of the berries and the nature of the berries. The Orcs disrupting the supply a few times would cause the Death-phobic Elves to have zero trust and heaps of racism towards them. To make it worse I made one of the only other races capable of eating the berries the Orcs. They didn't know it or really care but the normal fauna that live in thier saliva nuetralizes the Toxin. (I made them immune to injested poisons as a whole). So they unknowingly began eating the slow growing Dawnberries because they looked and tasted good. Now elves hunt Orcs with a purpose and Orcs fight elves for the various attacks without knowing what they did wrong.

Just an example of the kind of thought and writing patterns I use...

Feel free to steal any Ideas or random tidbits I spew out.
    Last edited by Doc_Pippin; 2012-09-27 at 04:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by XnOs View Post
    I am building a world, but i need a little help coming up with some good names.

Here is a thread that i made with ideas and thoughts on this campaign: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252755

So its an urban setting, and there are 4 major parties in this city.

1. A council of Elans, striving for power and has a major plan of creating a big army of Immortal soldiers!

2. The military / Police force. (Controlled by the council)

3. The Resistance. This is an underground group that is fighting the system.

4. The Thieves Guild.

So my thoughts on the names:
    1. Something that sounds professional. Like The Royal Council, High Council or something like that.
    2. Again, something official and professional. Maybe even just call it "The Military Force"
    3. This is where i am a little lost, and need inspiration the most.
    4. I actually thought of calling this the thieves guild, but that might be too boring, and seen too many times.

[Side Question]
    What free program can i use to make a city map? With hundreds of individual houses?
    [/Side Question]

I hope to be inspired by the great minds of this forum! :)
    And if you don' contribute, i would like to thank you for taking the time to get to this point! :)

Have a Lovely day! :) :)
    1.The Great Old Ones

2. The Justice League

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps the Thieves Guild's name could be something ligitimate? What I mean is a "front", something the general populous knows as a proper buisiness, but those who ask the right people the right questions can gain access to... less than standard goods and services.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

2. The Guard, The Protectors

4. The Association