Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Recommend me a cartoon

..to watch with my 8 years old daughter.
    Some time ago I checked what cartoons are being played at local (Polish) children channels and I was schocked how unwachable and generally crappy today's cartoons are, so I decided to pay closer attention to what is she watching and show her some decent cartoons by meself. But recently we're running out of good shows. Could you all please recommend me something to watch with her? non-gore, not stunningly stupid and not endless (yes Dragon Ball, I'm looking at you), with some decent animation and plot?
    Cartoons we enjoyed so far: Wakfu, AtLA, AtLoK, MLP:FiM, . Language is not a problem, she's fluent in english
    Last edited by Cen; 2012-09-09 at 11:28 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Recommend me a cartoon

Possibly worth trying Azumanga Daioh? Though unfortunately, the DVD's are weirdly hard to get hold of these days.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alfred J. Kwak if you can find it.

edit: to expand on it:

It starts with a duckling who is adopted by a different animal. Early episodes handle him going to school and having weird dreams. Then he grows up and starts doing activism, like opposing overfishing. Then he gets older and starts working. Then he finds a girl...

Growth story, in short, but two seasons of it. Handles all sorts of big issues in a child-friendly way.
    Last edited by endoperez; 2012-09-09 at 12:54 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Possibly worth trying Azumanga Daioh? Though unfortunately, the DVD's are weirdly hard to get hold of these days.
    You mean a show made for guys in their late teens and early 20s that includes Kimura-Sensei? Also I'm pretty sure there isn't a Polish dub which seems like it would be required. I'd have recommended Heartcatch PreCure, but that's Japanese only, with unofficial subs available in English. But that's no good for an eight old girl.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2012-09-09 at 12:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Conan the Adventurer? You can try to get it on Netflix or Youtube. (Be careful looking at stuff on Youtube though). That's probably for little boys though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    You mean a show made for guys in their late teens and early 20s that includes Kimura-Sensei? Also I'm pretty sure there isn't a Polish dub which seems like it would be required. I'd have recommended Heartcatch PreCure, but that's Japanese only, with unofficial subs available in English. But that's no good for an eight old girl.
    Well, Kimura Sensei is a thing, but otherwise It should be fine. Also called out english language as being fine.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

There are a lot of jokes based on Japanese puns and cultural references. And a sequence several minutes long which has Tomo mispronounce a local specialty from Okinawa to make it sound like she's shouting 'penis'. In general the show just isn't aimed at little kids and a lot of the jokes would probably go right over the head of a little kid, especially one who doesn't know Japanese culture. Also, the dub is kind of awful.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

It's a little hard to give a list of cartoons I'll know she'll like because I don't know anything about her, but here's a list of cartoons I enjoy watching (aside from FiM and Avatar of course).

"Slice-of-Life"/closed narrative cartoons:

Gravity Falls
    Adventure Time (Might need a... particular sense of humor for this, though)
    Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
    The Amazing World of Gumball
    The Powerpuff Girls
    Invader Zim
    Regular show
    Chowder

Cartoons with on-going plots/open narrative:

Green Lantern: The Animated Series
    Tron: Uprising
    Samurai Jack
    Xiaolin Showdown
    Jackie Chan Adventures

I can't seem to think of anymore at the moment...

I should probably check out Wakfu at some point.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-09-09 at 01:12 PM.
    Dear Princess Celestia,

You faithful student,
    Nameless

9. - Top - End - #9

My cousin's kids have been watching Jackie Chan Adventures and all get a pretty big kick out of it. so there's a +1 for that. Adventure Time is certainly a multi-layered show and fairly accessible having both slice-of-life episodes and an overall myth arc and a show I watch with the aforementioned chilluns.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    It's a little hard to give a list of cartoons I'll know she'll like because I don't know anything about her, but here's a list of cartoons I enjoy watching (aside from FiM and Avatar of course).

"Slice-of-Life"/closed narrative cartoons:

Gravity Falls
    Adventure Time (Might need a... particular sense of humor for this, though)
    Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
    The Amazing World of Gumball
    The Powerpuff Girls
    Invader Zim
    Regular show
    Chowder
    Hmm.....

Out of these, Regular Show, Invader Zim, and Adventure Time would be a mite much for a 8-year old. Rather, put in The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy as well as Flapjack, and you have a goodish selection of shows.

Gravity Falls is the best thing on Disney, however, and you should very much give it a shot.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-09-09 at 08:32 PM.
    Well, one time at Bard camp...
    Former avatars & Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Former avatar, had it since I started realy posting here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.

It involves high fantasy and ponies. Take a look!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The only current show outside of those you already listed in the OP that I think I'd especially recommend is Young Justice, which is a Cartoon Network show about a team of young superheroes who were mostly originally older heroes' sidekicks. (DC characters, so guys like Superboy, Robin, Kid Flash, etc.) It's on hiatus right now, though, and has a tendency to have a weird schedule. It's also on season 2, and you'll really want to see the episodes in order, including seeing season 1 before 2, as it's very story- and continuity-heavy.

Maybe also Green Lantern: The Animated Series, though it's not as good as Young Justice in general.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

"We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Have you gone through some of the classics? All of Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Popeye, Flintstones, Jetsons, Yogi Bear, etc. are excellent, and to the point that their dated nature is itself amusing.
    Soul Tracer avatar by Thanqol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Rather, put in The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy as well as Flapjack, and you have a goodish selection of shows.
    As much as I love Flapjack... It's probably not the best choice for an 8-year old. The nightmares are my main concern. :P

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Have you gone through some of the classics? All of Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Popeye, Flintstones, Jetsons, Yogi Bear, etc. are excellent, and to the point that their dated nature is itself amusing.
    +1 for the classics, Voltron, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Astro Boy, Transformers.

Also some simple current ones how about Futurama or Simpsons?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr.Fallout View Post
    As much as I love Flapjack... It's probably not the best choice for an 8-year old. The nightmares are my main concern. :P
    Hmm, true, but a lot of "good" childrens programing incorperates some form of scary stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slylizard View Post
    +1 for the classics, Voltron, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Astro Boy, Transformers.

Cursing is something I would be worried about. The child is 8, so that kind of throws out Regular Show and such in my mind.
    Former avatars & Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's see, looking at what's been mentioned already their are a few glaring absences. None of them are current, but they are all very good.

Danny Phantom
    X-Men: Evolution
    Code Lyoko*
    Dexter's Lab
    Batman: The Animated Series
    Justice League

I know there are some more really good ones, but I can't think of them at the moment.

*There are some problems with the English localization. Namely, while the main cast all has decent to good voice acting some of the minor roles are just atrocious. Also, they tried to pretend it was set in America despite this clearly not being the case. Despite this, and a couple of other flaws that can't be blamed on localization, I still greatly enjoyed the show.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cursing is something I would be worried about. The child is 8, so that kind of throws out Regular Show and such in my mind.
    Fair enough, ignore the regulars then. I'm pretty sure that TMNT and Astro don't have cursing, both also have more modern versions if you'd prefer that angle over the older classic style.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

So how much have you gone through the classic 90s Renaissance period cartoons from Disney and WB: Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Duck Tales (WooHoo!), Talespin, Darkwing Duck, Reboot, and MANY more.

They are the reason animation today (or at least the previous five years or so) has been such crap, because once you've seen the level of awesome even a forgotten D/C lister like Histeria could muster for quality there's just no comparison.

And while I don't know if its up your daughter alley I'd be remiss to talk about 90s cartoons without mentioning the the series that doesn't even need to say its name.

Quote Originally Posted by Slylizard View Post
    I'd watch those with a teenager, I'd not watch those with an 8 year old, if you get my drift.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    So how much have you gone through the classic 90s Renaissance period cartoons from Disney and WB: Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Duck Tales (WooHoo!), Talespin, Darkwing Duck, Reboot, and MANY more.
    *Looks at tvtropes page* Gargoyles! That's what was missing from my list! Anyway, yeah, the 90s rocked when it came to cartoons.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Fair enough, ignore the regulars then. I'm pretty sure that TMNT and Astro don't have cursing, both also have more modern versions if you'd prefer that angle over the older classic style.
    Hmm, true. From my experiance, the TMNT cartoon that was made by 4kids could actual be quite the decent watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Let's see, looking at what's been mentioned already their are a few glaring absences. None of them are current, but they are all very good.

Danny Phantom
    X-Men: Evolution
    Code Lyoko*
    Dexter's Lab
    Batman: The Animated Series
    Justice League

I know there are some more really good ones, but I can't think of them at the moment.

*There are some problems with the English localization. Namely, while the main cast all has decent to good voice acting some of the minor roles are just atrocious. Also, they tried to pretend it was set in America despite this clearly not being the case. Despite this, and a couple of other flaws that can't be blamed on localization, I still greatly enjoyed the show.
    Might have something to do with "classics" clicking as "Cartoon Network" in some peoples minds (heh). One could make a argument that many of Nick's animated programing is and will forever be worse then CN, but Danny Phantom was good-ish. Dexter should have been mentioned earlier and Code Lyoko is great even dispite the flaws the english version had.

Also, how has Kid's Next Door not been mentioned yet? Have you people had childhoods?
    Former avatars & Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Post Re: Recommend me a cartoon

Xiaolin Showdown isn't as good as a lot of the truly classic shows mentioned (KID's NEXT DOOR) but it's quite good.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Bamboo Blade might be worth watching. It's nominally about a kendo club, but in practice that is more an excuse to delineate protagonists in a slice of life show which tends towards the absurd. As far as I remember, it is entirely above board. I could also see Kim Possible working, but I'm not particularly familiar with it.
    Fudge Assistant in the Playground.

23. - Top - End - #23

Flumph

If you can get hold of it, Danger Mouse used to be quite good. It may be a little too "English" and dated, however.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.....

Out of these, Regular Show, Invader Zim, and Adventure Time would be a mite much for a 8-year old. Rather, put in The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy as well as Flapjack, and you have a goodish selection of shows.

Gravity Falls is the best thing on Disney, however, and you should very much give it a shot.

Well, I find that everyone is different, even 8 year olds. He mentioned Avatar in his post, and that's a pretty heavy show, especially after season 1. I can see you're point, though. As I said, I wasn't really sure what she would be interested in, so I just put down shows that I used to watch and ones I still watch. Completely forgot about Bill & Mandy and Flapjack, though.

I also just remembered; Ed, Edd & Eddy and the older series of Courage the Cowardly Dog. It's one of those shows that gives you nightmares as an adult, but makes you laugh as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    And while I don't know if its up your daughter alley I'd be remiss to talk about 90s cartoons without mentioning the the series that doesn't even need to say its name.
    Batmaaaannnn the animated seeeerieeeeeess. (where's that literal video when I need it?)

*clicks on other link*

Ah! That film about the mouse! THAT FILM ABOUT THE MOUSE! *childhood flashes before my eyes* What was that called? The picture next to the Little Mermaid. I MUST KNOW.

EDIT: An american Tail. That was it.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-09-10 at 07:03 AM.
    Dear Princess Celestia,

You faithful student,
    Nameless

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    I should probably check out Wakfu at some point.
    You really really should. Fantastic show.

I can't think of anything new to add, but I'll second the Amazing World of Gumball, Gravity Falls, Kids Next Door, Batman: TAS and Adventure Time. Wait, I got one. Recess. I remember loving that show when I was a kid.
    Truth resists simplicity.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thak you all for suggestions! After reading them I can't imagine how dumb could I be to forget all these classics: Batman: TAS, Samurai jack, Powerpuff girls, Dexter's Lab, Animaniacs! and thanks for these that I haven't heard before (like Danny Phantom, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls)

thanks all!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated. I started watching it purely for nostalgia, but then it turned out to be great. There is an overarching mystery that the entire show is building towards, there's character development, amusing jokes and some neat references to other Hanna Barbera cartoons.

Don't write it off because it is a Scooby-Doo cartoon, it is very good. I watch it with my two year old niece and nephew all the time.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmmm....Princess Mononoke or Howl's Moving Castle? Maybe Spirited Away?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hands_Of_Blue View Post
    Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated. I started watching it purely for nostalgia, but then it turned out to be great.
    Second. I started watching this myself and it's really good. Like, they replaced much of the original run's campyness with decent writing, plus characters like Fred finally got something of a personality.

My daughter likes watching Transformers Prime. That's another series where the writing is pretty good.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

Quote Resume:
    Spoiler
    Show

"For your astounding work in the field of punnery, you have been awarded one (1) internet." -Lix Lorn
    "Truly, there is nothing more terrifying than a DM with a sense of humour." -The Succubus
    "No pretty sure he thinks he's Digo Dragon." -Pinkie Pie
    "Digo, you're a liar and a scoundrel." -NeroGrimm

Custom Avatar by me - My OC Changeling, Zeeps!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Redwall?

What was the name of that tv series based on the classic animated dinosaurs that at last count had reach tenth movie?

The Little Dinosaur?