Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Monte Cook's Numenera

Quote Originally Posted by Substitution View Post

That being said. How come no one ever rants about Monte Cooks World of Darkness? Wasn't it ridiculous how humans were less powerful than werewolves or vampires or mages? I think that there were some definite game design issues that my normal human with a 9mm couldn't even be even with a werewolf tossing cars around.
    If you're going to be sarcastic in the middle of an otherwise earnest rant, please punctuate it well enough to show the change in tone. I just thought you were misled for a moment there.

No one complains because that difference in scale is a design goal. If mortals and Supernaturals we supposed to be balanced and weren't, then we would complain.

I'm not sure I understand your reference point. If I enter a google search or Amazon search for role playing game, I am having a problem finding ANY gaming system that includes even the main rulebook for less than 40 or 50 dollars; much less the bestiary and several add-on fluff books and accessories.

Many players also utilize things such as iPads to read and browse these books in a very, very portable sense. Though I don't like the idea of that compared to tangible books.

Unless we are talking about bankrupt/decade old systems. I found a very interesting steampunk RPG at Gen Con for only 5 dollars from a company that bellied up.
    Drive thru RPGs dude. It's an entire mine field of "crap, I paid $50 USD for mine?" Or did you stop looking after three clicks?

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    So, for the first thing, the existence of modifiers doesn't mean anything to whether or not they are applying to the entry or exit point of the die roll. The effect is identical. The second thing is that if there are a lot of modifiers, there can't be not a lot of modifiers. One of those two statements has to be true.
    I took that to mean that the possible modifiers were few, but they could be frequent. "players can use modifiers all the time" is not "players have access to lots and lots of modifiers". Worth a wait and see though. The idea is novel enough to make me interested.

Good luck dealing with the lopsided sarcasm! I'll probably not be around.
    "No malice. No remorse."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Stretch goals are not always just new additions to the game, sometimes they're just simple rewards for getting new backers into the game. The main point is the expansion and foundation of the gaming system. The 400,000 goal is 100% going to happen at this point so it's more like him saying "I'm going to work with a professional to make a pretty good, official character sheet"

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    If you're going to be sarcastic in the middle of an otherwise earnest rant, please punctuate it well enough to show the change in tone. I just thought you were misled for a moment there.
    Sorry, of course as the author I thought it carried well.

No one complains because that difference in scale is a design goal. If mortals and Supernaturals we supposed to be balanced and weren't, then we would complain.
    There are some very good arguments, so good that I'm in agreement with you. Why have a level system designed to equate relative power when one class at the same level can be many dozen times more powerful... that makes no sense even if you assume level scaled exponentially.

That's why I'm happy Numenera will be E6 and players will not gain power in the same way as most other RPG's.

Drive thru RPGs dude. It's an entire mine field of "crap, I paid $50 USD for mine?" Or did you stop looking after three clicks?
    I said I mostly checked Amazon and google, it was cursory but you're completely right, I should have thought of them after gen con, they let me know about 3E Exalted.

I took that to mean that the possible modifiers were few, but they could be frequent. "players can use modifiers all the time" is not "players have access to lots and lots of modifiers". Worth a wait and see though. The idea is novel enough to make me interested.
    Thank you SiuiS, it was about a half dozen posts before I completely articulated that exact thought. It doesn't help that two of those posts were just me trying to gauge whether the misinterpretation was deliberate. (If I had checked other threads I would have seen it was sincere).

Good luck dealing with the lopsided sarcasm! I'll probably not be around.
    Thank ya for your civility.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

I signed up to get the play-test materials. Did anyone else? I am looking forward to start playing come November. If there is not a Numenera forum I will probably run a game here. Looking for others with the play test materials too.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

smile Re: Monte Cook's Numenera

Quote Originally Posted by crimson77 View Post
    I signed up to get the play-test materials. Did anyone else? I am looking forward to start playing come November. If there is not a Numenera forum I will probably run a game here. Looking for others with the play test materials too.
    I will happily play with you on google+ or here! The forums should be up by November but always have contingencies.

I am more than willing to GM as well, I see a medieval world with no idea about their massive technological past and science magic as Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (a.k.a. the most inspiring thing in the universe)

I'm glad that it ended with over half a million in support.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

I have created a form fillable version of the character sheet.

...this is the first draft. I have not created tabbing orders yet..so that may not work. Or may explode.

Download from MEGA here.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Substitution View Post
    Sorry, of course as the author I thought it carried well.
    I've been there.

Was... Was this part of a different thread at one point? I don't recall ever having posted in a numenera thread, proper.

I said I mostly checked Amazon and google, it was cursory but you're completely right, I should have thought of them after gen con, they let me know about 3E Exalted.
    Aye, looking at it now, it doesn't read the way I wanted it to, but that was both friendly and earnest.

Thank ya for your civility.
    I try! It's so hard online to read voice, it's the least I can do. Especially because honesty is it's own reward, so if I'm mad at someone I'll just call them names directly

Quote Originally Posted by crimson77 View Post
    Oh? Where would one do this? I will hit the google.
    "No malice. No remorse."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Now it's 11 months later, the game is out and this thread is up again, what's the general feeling about it?
    Attempting to say controversial things that everyone will agree with.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Guy View Post
    Now it's 11 months later, the game is out and this thread is up again, what's the general feeling about it?
    Seems pretty interesting, and I do like certain aspects of the mechanics.

I'm pretty pumped to have a chance to try it out in play.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've been attempting to design a game from the ground up for the past several years. Every time I get to character creation, I bog down because my imagination and authorial ability cannot keep up with my ability to write mechanics.

This weekend, I read through the Numenera rules. And it was the game I was trying to make.

I've yet to playtest or run a game, but I'm about 1/2 way through plotting out a campaign that I'm going to pitch to every RPer I know. I am stoked by this game more than any I've seen since D&D 3.5.
    Homebrew:

Iron Chef Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Iron Chef X - 3rd (My first entry!)
    Iron Chef XI - 4th
    Iron Chef XIII - 4th
    Iron Chef XIV - Honorable Mention (and 4th place)
    Iron Chef XVI - 3rd place
    Iron Chef XVIII - 1st place
    Iron Chef XXXIV - 2nd place