New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Beast Familiar (wizard subclass) (PEACH) (WIP)

So pretty sure this is overpowered but thought it was pretty neat. Any suggestions? The idea of having more abilities as well as improving the familiar along the way came up, though I'm not sure what I could add.

2nd
    Familiar Bond
    At 2nd level you automatically gain the Find Familiar spell. If you already know this spell chose a different 1st Level spell.

Transmute Familiar
    At 2nd level you can use an Action the ability to transform your Familiar to a beast with a cr of 1/4, the cr restriction increases to the next number when you reach level 6, 10, and 16. The length of these transformations last for 1 minute. How many times they can transformed is shown on the chart below. In addition all familiars gain an action to attack.

Lvl Times per long rest
    1st - 0
    2nd - 1
    3rd - 2
    4th - 2
    5th - 3
    6th - 3
    7th - 3
    8th - 4
    9th - 4
    10th - 4
    11th - 5
    12th - 5
    13th - 5
    14th - 6
    15th - 6
    16th - 6
    17th - 7
    18th - 7
    19th - 7
    20th - 8

6th
    Improved War Familiar

10th
    Even more improved familiar

16th
    Last edited by sleepyhead; 2019-02-22 at 11:09 AM.
    My limited homebrew experience
    oh hey didn't see you there

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Beast Familiar (wizard subclass) (PEACH)

First off, the difference between being able to transform it for 10 rounds and 12 rounds is pretty much inconsequential. Most combats in my experience last less than 10 rounds, to the point where we just treat 1-minute spell durations as "for the rest of this fight" and don't actually bother counting rounds. Second, I reccomend having the familiar scale as part of one feature (look at how the barbarian only gets the rage feature once but it continues to improve as they level up), and actually giving the subclass interesting things at later levels.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2019-02-14 at 01:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    First off, the difference between being able to transform it for 10 rounds and 12 rounds is pretty much inconsequential. Most combats in my experience last less than 10 rounds, to the point where we just treat 1-minute spell durations as "for the rest of this fight" and don't actually bother counting rounds.
    Good point, I'll just make it the next minute

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Second, I recomend having the familiar scale as part of one feature (look at how the barbarian only gets the rage feature once but it continues to improve as they level up), and actually giving the subclass interesting things at later levels.
    I'll see what I can do.
    Last edited by sleepyhead; 2019-02-14 at 01:50 PM.
    My limited homebrew experience
    oh hey didn't see you there

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd more like to see them get find steed and find greater steed with familiar powers (being able to pocket them and cast touch through) instead of a temp transform. The spells already exist for this and would be cool to have magic pet of actual substance. Right now only paladin and bards can get it