New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Homebrew Martial Discipline Compendium

Could we perhaps get the table remade? In the format of Morph's Tier list? That didn't require a table or its limitations, and a lot of commonly-used information is currently going to waste like this.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmet View Post
    Could we perhaps get the table remade? In the format of Morph's Tier list? That didn't require a table or its limitations, and a lot of commonly-used information is currently going to waste like this.
    The problem is that the best part of the table was its sortability, which won't work if I remake it in Morph's style. I have an idea, though, and I'll see if it works.

TESTING TESTING [post="10640971&postcount=7"]123[/post]
    Last edited by sirpercival; 2014-04-04 at 04:16 PM.
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed. I'm going to miss that function of the tables here.

Anything us brewers can do to help out sirpervical?

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Indeed. I'm going to miss that function of the tables here.

Anything us brewers can do to help out sirpervical?
    Luckily, it should be fixed now!
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    The problem is that the best part of the table was its sortability, which won't work if I remake it in Morph's style. I have an idea, though, and I'll see if it works.

TESTING TESTING [post="10640971&postcount=7"]123[/post]

To be honest I had no idea it was sortable. >.> I just went hunting every time I wanted something.

But yay, we're all back in business!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, hey. Some of my old (terrible) work. The Bladed Thoughts & Placid Lake disciplines have been relocated to the blog system WotC runs, by the way. I really ought to get done making those Truespeech- & Lucid Dreaming-based schools, as well. >_>

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Wanted to let you know that Divine Flame was altered from Craft Explosives to Knowledge Astronomy. Also, there is an interesting Discipline called Riverside View that uses coins and Profession Ferryman.
    I am a Curio Munchkin. No ordinary Chargebarians or Dragonwrought Kobolds for me. It's gotta be a specially bred Thri-kreen supersoldier that escaped the torturous experiments with nothing but luck and two awesome templates!
    Homebrew Projects

Why GiantIP is not babyproof

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sirpercival, I consider my second discipline pretty much finished, so could you add it (Sanity's Eclipse) to the list? Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Howdy. A friend and I came up with a sun-themed discipline, which seem to be sorely lacking in this list.

Here you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    I have one PC in my campaign who constantly tries to force his enemies to yield (by shrieking "JUSTICE!" in a high-pitched shrill voice, since he's a freaking Tiny-size fairy cleric of St. Cuthbert).
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    We're horrible people and are waiting for you to let your guard down before we pounce and feast upon your flesh.
    My friend's Sun-Themed Discipline! PEACH!

My Ice-Themed Martial Discipline! Also PEACH!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I, uh... I made a thing. It has angels. And kung-fu. And... yeah. 100% from Kill Six Billion Demons.

The Archonic Devastator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    I wonder how big something has to be before it gets its own weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymme
    You can do whatever the heck you want and I'll follow like a starving sycophant so long as I can read it.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I should actually submit my three to this list:

Lead Hyena, A morale-based debuff discipline whose skill is bluff.

Boundless Void, A martial Vow of Poverty alongside a magic-negation discipline, skill is spellcraft.

Brutal Crocodile, A flamboyant grappling discipline based on Climb.
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

12. - Top - End - #102

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Recently created a discipline that was based around fantasy depictions of the Fae in general, main purpose was to allow players and dm the ability to have fun with maneuvers that have interesting status effects that are either normally not used because of a hd limit or normally restricted by creature types they can affect. The mechanics themselves are for the most part complete aside from still being play tested in my group and possibly needing some critiquing on formatting with syntax; background, history, and maneuver description fluff is still a WIP.

Winter's Edge The Discipline created by several Fey of the Unseelie Court, It's associated class skill is Knowledge (Nature), Favored Weapons are Unarmed Strike, Natural Attacks, Daggers, Short Swords, and Rapiers, and it replaces the Diamond Mind Discipline for Swordsage and Warblades

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, can anyone point towards any sort of guide to making Disciplines? Because finding the numbers of various things that are "recommended" is difficult. Even just a link to a place where they list the number of Boosts, Counters, Strikes and Stances on a level-by-level basis would be helpful. Because I have ideas for quite a few Disciplines. Most intended to drag classes up to t2 by way of replicating high-tier effects within one area. I've heard that diplomancy is particularly strong, in a lot of cases, as are save-or-suck abilities. Generally, stuff that can tie into the social skills can be justified to do a lot of nasty things.

Edit: Basically, I'm planning on making a hypermundane Bard that uses Maneuvers as it's excuse for crazy ****.

Edit 2: At a glance of the PFSRD, I'm thinking that having one of each type of Maneuver at first level Maneuvers, then having at least three Maneuvers of each level past that, followed by two First Level stances, then one Stance every other level will work out somewhat well. My thinking is to have exactly enough to have all your Maneuvers and Stances be of the same school, without a single gap or leftover Maneuver at any point. Which, according to Warder's minimum, is a total of 16 Maneuvers and 7 Stances, although Stalker has 21 Maneuvers. I really ought to involve Rushes, just to give something useful for the Move Actions. Or I could have the recovery attached to move actions...

From there, my plan is to make three or four Disciplines, each focused on a different social skill from Diplomacy, Intimidate, Bluff and possibly Sense Motive, with the overall goal being to have each Discipline having a sufficiently different focus taken far enough that you can be justified having a character with nothing but one Discipline.

For the Disciplines proper, Diplomacy will probably be the most "Bard" of the Disciplines, getting Charm and buff effects, possibly having Teamwork feat sharing involved.

Intimidate will likely be Fear and Will save-or-suck effects, possibly with one of each type of Maneuver for direct, personal combat starting with a Strike at first level.

Bluff will probably be Feint and Sneak Attack as a set of Maneuvers. Multiple ways to cost enemies their Dex to AC and effects reliant on them being in that state.

If I do Sense Motive, it simply will be a Tank Discipline. Deflection and Dodge bonuses aplenty, with Maneuvers to prevent allies from taking damage

Is this appropriate to the thread? Probably not, but there aren't many threads focused on brainstorming particular types of homebrew.
    Last edited by Morphic tide; 2017-02-22 at 05:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Okay, can anyone point towards any sort of guide to making Disciplines?
    In 3.5 or Pathfinder? The former has no stratified standard for discipline design, though there are certain traditional elements such as having only one 9th-level maneuver, and intuitive things like not having dead levels.

Pathfinder, on the other hand... from a quick look, they seem a bit more dense, but that's okay. The handful I looked at all had exactly six stances, though: two at 1st-level, and four spread roughly evenly from 3rd~8th levels. Also the traditional capstone maneuver seems to be in full swing, so that's nice too.

Besides not having more high-level maneuvers than low-level ones, I can't really think of where to point you. Sorry!

My advice would be to go for some clear fluff next: for instance, how does Sense Motive translate into being a tank? Are you a canny duelist, casually parrying strikes and redirecting them harmlessly, moving with impunity to impede foes, stopping only to laugh as you drive them to impact one-another instead of your allies? Are you a steely-eyed juggernaut, whose gaze captures every movement so perfectly that, even slowed by your armor, you intercept your foes with efficient grace? Or are you some more mystical force, like the judging angel whose castigation deprives foes of their will to do harm, or the illusion-piercing ninja master, himself so at one with the ethereal plane that with a wave of his hand, his allies find themselves transposed from harm's way?

We really should move this to another thread, though. I look forward to your creations!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooPaladin View Post
    My advice would be to go for some clear fluff next: for instance, how does Sense Motive translate into being a tank? Are you a canny duelist, casually parrying strikes and redirecting them harmlessly, moving with impunity to impede foes, stopping only to laugh as you drive them to impact one-another instead of your allies? Are you a steely-eyed juggernaut, whose gaze captures every movement so perfectly that, even slowed by your armor, you intercept your foes with efficient grace? Or are you some more mystical force, like the judging angel whose castigation deprives foes of their will to do harm, or the illusion-piercing ninja master, himself so at one with the ethereal plane that with a wave of his hand, his allies find themselves transposed from harm's way?

We really should move this to another thread, though. I look forward to your creations!
    Well, the intent is a hypermundane Bard type of character, so it's the sublime duelist fluff. Bluff is mostly for the offensive side of that. Another one of my ideas was to have it instrument based, but that requires heavy specializing, because you can usually only use one instrument at a time.

Although having the instrument based Disciplines occupy one "slot" as a set of interchangeable Disciplines would work well. Actually, given what Pathfinder's archetypes do, one could have two or three of these hypermundane classes, then swap Disciplines between them alongside needed "tie together" abilities, like a Deflection AC ability to properly use the Sense Motive based Discipline, because having your stance locked down is quite bad.

And it's going to be for the Pathfinder version, as Path of War is less difficult to figure out the tables for than Tome of Battle. Really doesn't help that most of the tables for ToB classes on this site are broken...

As for my current creations, I've got one that is a pile of Incarnum feats in-progress of being made. The overall intent is to have every character have a good reason to grab two or three Incarnum feats as a slippery slope of scaling feats. It includes codified blue-synonym to ability group relation, like Beryl being for Druid-Incarnum feats and Sapphire for Cleric-Incarnum feats. As well as Cobalt for defensive abilities and Cerulean for Martials. I gave Azure to Psionics, as well, while the thousand-and-one random Supernatural things will be Turquise.

For other stuff that's actually posted, check the link in my signature. It has several largely abandoned ideas and a link to a compilation thread with most of my stuff on the linked post.

17. - Top - End - #107

All discipline from Minmax Boards don't work, but they did move...
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~