New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Black Crusade IC

Setesh, who still stood up from when he was looking around for the stalker, went with Zasz. "The food does not interest me, in the least." Someone following Zasz's every move and the human girl disappearing all of a sudden. The chances it was just a coincidence was unlikely, as Zasz and the girl would probably be much better than Setesh at spotting a tail. He himself had not even realized it until he heard vox chatter. Maybe they had something planned, maybe they did not. But Setesh would indulge them, this time.
    Last edited by watupwithdat; 2012-09-30 at 10:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Slathissin decides to join him, the better to establish more of the man's voice. If he could not pick him out from another human in the crowd by look, at least he could learn to recognise Zasz's voice and mannerisms.
    "So, what is your story? We are certainly an eclectic mix, no?"

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

It's at this point that Katria drops on their tail's head.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: 60+30 (Suprise)-10(Called shot-head). (1d100)[59]

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the short post, I'm pretty tired. If swift attack can be used here, she's hit twice. If not, ignore the second roll in this post.

(1d10+4)[7]
    (1d10+4)[12]

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Katria smacks the man hard over the head and he drops to the floor, moaning.

Slathissin spends the next few hours repainting his armor black. The job is crude and undeniably a bit slapdash (Astartes aren't exactly trained in this sort of thing), but few are going to see that he is a Night Lord unless they know what they're looking for.

Following that, he opts to try and rest to heal his wounds. This is actually more successful than he expected.

Spoiler
    Show
    Slathissim regains 3 wounds, putting him back at 12.
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

6. - Top - End - #366

Zasz lumbered over to the unconscious tail and over at Katria. He made a quick sweep to see whether someone had seen or was reacting to the scene.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[80] v. 100, Awareness. If he doesn't see anyone, he'll say this:
    "Marvelous. Now, Katria, if you would remove his earpiece and listen in for us... Setesh, I believe you are an accomplished psychic interrogator, no? This man has been following and reporting to the Word Bearers, and I would be rather happy to know what he's been attempting to find out. If you would be so kind, brother?"
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Avatar from the NSFW webcomic, Go Get a Roomie.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Setesh had not accompanied Zasz far before the Death Guard changed direction and backtracked towards the area they had just left. Up ahead he could see the human girl standing besides the one who he had identified as the one spying on Zasz from before. It would appear the girl had knocked the spy unconscious, as there seemed to be no blood in sight. It was now obvious to Setesh that they had known about their tail since before the girl disappeared, which was evidently to spy on the tail.

Even before Zasz had suggested Setesh 'interrogate' the spy, he had already begun to kneel over the man lying on the floor unconscious, intent on reaching out with his mind and breaking down the mental barriers of the human to find out who and why there was someone spying on him. That the spy had in fact appeared to be following Zasz mattered little as Setesh himself had been present in the Death Guard's company at the time, which to him meant that he was being spied on.

Setesh placed his gauntleted hand over the head of the man as he kneeled beside him, not replying to either the acknowledgement of his psychic powers nor the request from Zasz, closed his eyes and focused. He reached into the human's mind and tore down layer after layer of mental barriers, going through subconscious thoughts and uncovered those hidden. The man was unconscious, Setesh had practically all the time in the world to tear at his mind, and he would be none the wiser. At most he would have a slight headache as the only trace of the intrusion, which he no doubt would attribute to whatever the human girl had done to him.

Finally he had broken the man's mind, and everything contained within Setesh greedily consumed. He now knew who the man was, why he had spied on them, on whose orders and everything else the man had knowledge of - and even some which had been forgotten or was only contained in his subconscious.

"I am done." Setesh said as he removed his hand from the man's face and stood up.

Spoiler
    Show

These rolls are not really needed, as I'd retry until all 5 rounds were successes (which would not take longer than the time he would be unconscious) - which there's a high chance of when I need test vs 90. But I'll do it anyway, because it was a long time ago since last I used a power, and maybe this time I'll make it on my first try. Just indulge me, will ya.

Half Action, Fettered, Mind Probe, +0 Opposed Willpower Focus Power test: (1d100)[43] vs 90
    Full Action to sustain, need 5 rounds to break mind fully. Pages 223-224 for effects.
    Round 2: +0 Opposed Willpower Focus Power test: (1d100)[90] vs 90
    Round 3: +0 Opposed Willpower Focus Power test: (1d100)[53] vs 90
    Round 4: +0 Opposed Willpower Focus Power test: (1d100)[88] vs 90
    Round 5: +0 Opposed Willpower Focus Power test: (1d100)[92] vs 90

Edit: Bah! Can't even roll well when it's not needed. xD
    Last edited by watupwithdat; 2012-09-30 at 10:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

The man's name is Veracius Kyle. He was born on this ship, a product of Word Bearer breeding programs. Born and raised into the faith of Lorgar, he failed the trials to become one of the revered Astartes. His marginal military skill meant he was made into a guard, patrolling the lower decks for the degenerate scum that haunt them. He lead a relatively unremarkable life, with few combat encounters.

A few hours ago, a Word Bearer plucked him off his job, seemingly at random, and assigned him to follow Zasz around and report on his every move. He doesn't exactly know why, but from the tone of the Astartes, the sons of Lorgar remain suspicious about Zasz's earlier duel and want to be sure he isn't up to anything illegitimate.

The microbead starts to speak. "Mortal. Mortal, where are you? Why aren't you reporting?"
    -Me

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Setesh had just stood up, and felt somewhat disappointed with the mortal's seemingly uneventful life and lack of knowledge. "The Word Bearers tasked this one to keep an eye on you after your duel, Zasz. It seems you are a concern to them." He chuckled. "However, we should not linger if we want this to remain unknown. And I would suggest you make this look like a robbery." Which it technically was, but he was refering to something material.

Spoiler
    Show

Did he know of any useful codes, information on the WB leaders, schedules, anything at all regarding the impending assault or random stuff Setesh wouldn't mind knowing being a tzeentchian?
    Last edited by watupwithdat; 2012-09-30 at 11:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

The man knew very little. He is just a low-ranking flunky, and the Word Bearers don't value him enough to tell him anything important. Half the time they don't even remember his name.
    -Me

11. - Top - End - #371

First, Zasz made sure the micro-bead wasn't broadcasting their words. If Setesh's voice had just gone to this man's handler, then it would certainly blow all of the cover. Afterwards, he said: "A wise suggestion, brother! Katria, if you would take some of his minor belongings -- nothing to inconvenience him greatly. I have no desire to make this man's life harder... although, now that I consider it, he may yet be killed for being knocked unconscious. Hmm. Katria, take whatever you can from him. We shall amble on towards the markets now. And once the robbery is complete and we are away from this place, let us show brother Setesh the item you obtained from the mean man."
    Last edited by Lucretia; 2012-10-01 at 12:34 AM.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

The bead continues to broadcast. "Mortal?! Mortal! MORTAL!!!" There is a pause, followed by a bunch of incoherent cursing, then the bead's signal fades.
    -Me

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Katria nods with a grin, nimble hands running through the man's clothing for any items of potential interest. She doubts she'll find anything, but he might just have enough.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

The man doesn't have much. Imperial Guard-issue flak armor, an ordinary lasgun, an icon of Lorgar, and some random odds and ends.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everybody, make a perception check.

Slathissin isn't here for this scene, as he's gone off to spend the next 17 hours reprinting his armor and resting.
    -Me

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Katria judges the armour too much to bother with, and everyone has weapons, so the lasgun stays. She liberates him of his icon however, and the shinier odds and ends he has on him before raising with a smile.

"All done Grandpa! Should we go before they come to yell at us?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: 32+10(Heightened senses, eyes) (1d100)[26]

16. - Top - End - #376

Should I roll too?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elurindel View Post
    Should I roll too?
    Slathissin isn't there to perceive anything.
    -Me

18. - Top - End - #378

Well you said everyone, so I figured I'd check.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Zasz, Setesh, and Katria all hear the telltale signs of heavy Astartes boots coming this way.
    -Me

20. - Top - End - #380

And with that, Zasz was gone.

He activated his stummer and began to walk off, opposite of where the sound of boots came from.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon hearing the footsteps and noticing Zasz activating what behaved like a Stummer, Setesh remembered he had one himself he very rarely used and activated it with one of his armour's sigils and quickly followed the lead of Zasz.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Shifting into a blur of colours that faded behind him, Katria moved off after Zasz before backup arrived.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

Zasz, Katria, and Setesh make it safely away from the area, leaving the unconscious mortal to face the wrath of his masters. They meander to a rather secluded location in the ship - an unused cargo bay with no obvious inhabitants.
    -Me

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Katria glances at Zasz again, then produces a small code cylinder and offers it to Setesh. "This is what I found. It seems real important, but I can't figure it out."

25. - Top - End - #385

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[69] v. Awareness. You can't ever be too careful!

Also, I can't remember -- does Zasz know Katria took these from the Alpha Legion?

Performing a quick sweep, Zasz watched to make sure Setesh didn't try anything fishy. He didn't think the sorcerer would be so brazen as to assault someone Zasz had shown he cared for, but if there were men after these, perhaps Setesh would have some craving for them.

"Let me give you the frequency for our micro-beads, brother," he said in a surprisingly soft tone. "It may behoove us to keep our conversations to a... more secure system."

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Zasz sees nothing in the immediate area.

Spoiler
    Show
    And also does not know Katria took these from the Alpha Legion.
    -Me

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Setesh had the human girl place the code cylinder in his hand which he extended towards her. He was curious about these codes, but he was not very proficient when it came to tech. The human mind was endlessly easier to understand, compared to machines.

"Unless you have acquired the talent of telepathy, that could be wise." But it was not very wise. Vox communication was not very secure when compared to telepathy. Setesh knew that very well, as he now started to get more used to using the Comm Leach. Hearing multiple thoughts in his head was nothing for Setesh, but it being vox communication was a different, and a more strange, thing to him.

He inspected the code cylinder and tried to access it. The encryption on this thing was beyond anything he was able to decrypt with his lacking technical skills. It could be anything, but atleast he knew it to be important with this encryption. "I am unable to access this thing - but I am not a Dark Magos either. I advice you not to show this to any Word Bearers." Setesh handed the cylinder back to the little girl, wondering what it might contain.

Spoiler
    Show

Logic test: (1d100)[54] vs 42
    Tech-use test: (1d100)[6] vs automatic failure on anything except 1, I assume.
    Last edited by watupwithdat; 2012-10-01 at 01:25 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

Setesh proves unable to pierce the encryption protecting the codes, though it is clear that they are from the Word Bearers.
    -Me

29. - Top - End - #389

After obtaining the equipment he was after, Slathissin makes his way back to the rest of the group.

30. - Top - End - #390

Zasz nodded in agreement. "Let us go now. We'll see about ammunition and then visit the sights one last time before the battle. Katria, we will have a small ceremony to the Dark Gods to ask for Their benefaction tomorrow. Setesh, if you would care to join us?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Presumably during this time, Zasz performed his small trades, getting his combi-bolter and all that. Also, now we can make a compact!