New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default When did it get real?

Specifically at which comic did OotS move from being a funny little webcomic about D&D to something which had a compelling story on its own merits?

I say it was http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: When did **** get real?

Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    Specifically at which comic did OotS move from being a funny little webcomic about D&D to something which had a compelling story on its own merits?

I say it was http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html
    Nope. Cerebus syndrome set in long before that. Probably right after the Dungeon of Dorukan.

3. - Top - End - #3

Where exactly? I can't really think of anything with a particularly serious tone to it even though the story was developing.

Maybe Shojo dying.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd say around Miko's first appearance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    Where exactly? I can't really think of anything with a particularly serious tone to it even though the story was developing.

Maybe Shojo dying.
    Xykon surviving and having a Plan B.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think the disturbing scene with the blacksmith was the first dark tone in the comics.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html

The first meeting with Miko.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I think it got real when Giant figured out he can make some money on this. Which specific comic is unknown.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think the Giant mentioned in a commentary in some book or in a post that it was somewhere around strip 100 that he decided to develop a real story and not just make a "joke of the week" comic.

I'd say it started around then that he inserted small portions of overarching plot into it. He did it slow and gradually so it actually feels right.

Which means there's not really "one single strip" where it happened.

Miko's appearance sure set of one of the major plot arcs obviously, but having her appear right after the Dungeon of Dorukan without the Black Dragon cave and the Bandit Camp it would just not have felt right.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blue1005 View Post
    I think it got real when Giant figured out he can make some money on this.
    Nah, that doesn't mean anything. Michael Bay figured he could make a lot of money on the Transformers a long time ago, and those films have yet to get serious.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Xykon surviving and having a Plan B.
    Yes, I concur.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

It started about the time the gag a strip format ended and really kicked up a notch when Miko showed up.

So I agree with comic 200 if you want a solid comic to base it on, though the escape/war for the city was when **** got dark.
    Signature!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with those that say it was Miko, but then that's when I started reading it so I may be biased.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I've always seen the NCftPB storyline as the transitional period, with WaXP being the first storyline where Rich had planned out the whole plot and found his footing in terms of tonal balance.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, I'd put it around #260 or so, since that's where the main plot really starts to kick in.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Depending on how extreme you define Cerebus Syndrome, there wasn't even a plot until the Summon Plot Exposition strip, so that counts.

Beyond that, first appearance of Miko, then Gate infodump, then death of Roy and conquest of Azure City, then Western Continent...

Basically every arc gets a little darker.
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Incom View Post
    then death of Roy
    I don't know what you people are talking about. That strip was hilarious! Roy go splat!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    I don't know what you people are talking about. That strip was hilarious! Roy go splat!
    If I remember correctly, the Giant specifically said in the WaXP commentary that part of the reason for 448 was that he needed readers to cheer when Soon appeared, and Roy's death alone wouldn't be nearly enough to make them hate Xykon.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I've always seen the NCftPB storyline as the transitional period, with WaXP being the first storyline where Rich had planned out the whole plot and found his footing in terms of tonal balance.
    Based on the author's comments in the various books, Rich's planning started way earlier than that.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Personally, I would say the destruction of the Dungeon of Dorukan. Our noble (and ignoble) heroes believe they have won the day and are ready to march off into the sunset. But this is also the point where it becomes clear that Xykon, Redcloak and the Linear Guild are not finished. It is also the moment when a mysterious cloaked figure (Miko) is dispatched to hunt down the Order. I personally would say that is the first real turn point from just light-hearted joking to Jokes plus Plot.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    The docks of a small fishing village. One of the character's nearly drown trying to catch a fish barehanded.
    Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    What the DM says goes. If he says enough stupid stuff, the players go too.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

actually, rich stated that he had the whole plot figured out around strip 100, not that he started by then.
    As for the transition, I don't think there is any mark, but if there is, then meeting the linear guild was the point. face it, oots already had a plot back then, even if it wasn't clear what the plot was. And even if rich complains about the first few dozen striops lacking a plot, to me they work well in setting the characters. So in retrospect oots can be thought as having a plot starting from strip 1, even if at the time rich himself didn't knew it.
    On the other hand it never really ceased to be a funny comic about D&D.
    So asking about the exact moment oots got into the plot is like asking for a specific day in which earth stopped being an asteroid bigger than others and became a planet.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

I'd like to think it was when Nale backstabbed Elan.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2323mike View Post
    I think the disturbing scene with the blacksmith was the first dark tone in the comics.
    Nah, that's just black comedy. Silly Thog, a blacksmith isn't a puppy!

Seriously, though, I'd say the first dark tone in the comic was Nale stabbing Elan, as PeglegJim said. At the very least, that's the first time when the comic took a threat seriously rather than as just another gag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I think the strip developed a real story immediately after the end of the Dungeon of Dorukan. As soon as we see a village full of innocent civilians.

A compelling story? Hmmm, when was the first time I really wanted to know what would happen next... About the time Haley developed aphasia.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Roy's death alone wouldn't be nearly enough to make them hate Xykon.
    Hate Xykon after that? How on earth could I possibly do that? Get that lich a medal!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: When did it get real?

I think the story got serious when the secrets of the portals/gates were revealed.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: When did it get real?

The death of Fruit Pie the Sorcerer here

1. The title was "proof that I am deeply disturbed." Lots of great artists and writers are deeply disturbed, as opposed to gag makers, who are just lighthearted funsters. Rich is here announcing his intentions to get serious.

2. First death of a heroic/innocent character, at least in the online comic and not counting backstory.

3. First graphic death, with the real fruit filling slowly draining away...

Face it. It just started to get grim and gritty after this.

(edit: Okay, I just looked at the timeline, and the Linear Guild killed the guardians before this happened. So #2 doesn't apply. Oh, well. I stand by #s 1 and 3.)
    Last edited by Bagger Baggins; 2012-11-24 at 06:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PeglegJim View Post
    I'd like to think it was when Nale backstabbed Elan.
    Yup. You could also argue for the introduction of the Linear Guild, but by Comic #56, things got real.