DruidGuy

Default Re: OOTS #863 - The Discussion Thread

(re)treat and regroup...
    My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    Huh. I just yesterday got my hands on the sourcebook Dungeonscape, which Rich co-authored, where I read a list of dungeon item packages, which included this "Keoghtum's ointment". But I could not discover where it was from. Couldn't find it in the DMG. Does anyone know? Strange to see it resurface here.

So, I guess this might be called the second time (that I discovered) where Rich draws on his sourcebook.
    Not exactly - you can find it in the very first DMG, from 1978!
    Last edited by thumbprince; 2012-09-12 at 04:38 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Nice strip. Happy drow is surpising and a bit creepy. So he can feel happyness, even in such a fleeting manner ?

And loved the "make it believable" line answering the "but then we won". Priceless. XD

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Liked the strip. I hope there were a sufficient amount of things going imperfectly for Tarquin to mollify his haters. Personally I think he seems like the right sort of level of competant and threatening for the order to really learn something from facing him without it seeming like a hopeless mismatch (though I do suspect it'll be Xykon that knocks Tarquin down in this arc).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I sure could have used some Keoghtum's Ointment a week ago, I had a terrible flu. It probably would have helped also to some long-term medical conditions. Hey, if it cures cancer, it can probably deal with a migraine and asthma.

Now all we need to do is to mass-produce the ointment. Of course, getting the hearts of the virgins (taken on their wedding night) might be slightly problematic. Maybe we could replace it with Virgin Oil taken from some chef's kitchen?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I laughed at the "Cleric-in-a-can" statement. Good comic.
    FTDWIR

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AbuSpud View Post
    I'm not even gonna ask how you cure cancer by applying to the affected area....
    Depends on the cancer... skin cancer is easy, lung cancer you have to aerosolize it.

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    So that's what Elan was going to do. Poor guy.

First the Order succeeds in rescuing V without his dramatic conventions, and now this? It's almost as if they've accumulated experience from their adventures, and have evolved into a talented, capable adventuring party.

EDIT: Is anyone else excited by the idea of Tarquin with a whip? Referring to his combat abilities of course, not any disturbing long-term daddy issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Hey, in the first panel you can see Girard's Pyramid in the background. Nice touch.

I am, and I've now got this image in my head of Tarquin swinging the whip around Indiana Jones-style...

Also, I agree that Zz'dtri smiling like that is pretty neat.
    Boulder Trap? Definite Possibility.
    Snakes? Rats? Or some other fear for Tarquin (how about Roy pulls out the Bag of Tricks and lets loos the... um... Squirrels? Beavers? Mongooses... Mongeese... what is the plural of Mongoose... well... whatever... the good counterpart to Snakes)? Why not.
    But in Halfling Ehlonna is spelled with an Y... or was it in Elvish Ehlonna is spelled with an A... Wait, in Dwarvish it is spelled with a Belch... what the heck letter is a Belch? Hmm, okay might be too tricky a joke and too obscure a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    Huh. I just yesterday got my hands on the sourcebook Dungeonscape, which Rich co-authored, where I read a list of dungeon item packages, which included this "Keoghtum's ointment". But I could not discover where it was from. Couldn't find it in the DMG. Does anyone know? Strange to see it resurface here...

EDIT: Actually, now I discovered that this is the same as Restorative Ointment, just with a cooler name...

2nd EDIT: And now I found out about Keoghtum too: "And Keoghtom is a quasi-deity of Oerth, detailed in the 1983 World of Greyhawk set and featuring in Gary Gygax's Gord novels as Lord Keogh." (from Candlekeep forum).

3rd EDIT: So, I guess this might be called the second time (that I discovered) where Rich draws on his sourcebook, then, the other being the acidborn shark.
    But now that I actually own a copy of the Dungeonscape book, I'll certainly look more closelier to see other instances where it's referenced in the OOTS!
    My only issue is... Rich is making fun of himself via the demon roaches by calling himself a hack in the Acid Breathing Shark scene. Otherwise, why the heck not reference his own source material?

Quote Originally Posted by snikrept View Post
    Active ingredient : magic is pretty hilarious!
    71% Magic, that's a lot of magic...

Quote Originally Posted by Savil View Post
    That ointment description is so full of awesome
    I wonder if it comes in unscented, or with alternative ingredients... cause the fragrance or petroleum jelly could cause some allergic reactions, and what if the heart from the virgin on his/her wedding night isn't O- Bloodtype... or a different species... there could be rejection issues. Well, I guess if those are complications... add more ointment as per the directions... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    It's pure comedy gold.

Well, and now we know why Elan wasn't contributing to the fight.

Yes, in the photo there's me and Gygax and no, is not photoshopped. ^_^
    Awesome picture... sad that no one can get a new one with him unless they do photoshop (or GIMP, or some other alternative image editor) it. Thanks for sharing it.

Hey, anyone know where we can find a Cleric who can due True Resurrection... and a big Diamond? We could bring back Gygax...

Quote Originally Posted by Chantelune View Post
    Nice strip. Happy drow is surpising and a bit creepy. So he can feel happyness, even in such a fleeting manner ?

And loved the "make it believable" line answering the "but then we won". Priceless. XD
    I think it is less happiness and more relief. Try depriving yourself of sight and read a few comics, or go listen to your favorite CD muted with headphones on so you hear nothing from it nor even your own breathing... do this for... 5 or 10 minutes... don't pretend, really try reading without sight or listening without hearing, have someone else keep track of the time, tell them to return after 10 or more minutes... stipulate they can wait longer (this is even better if you have a mischievous friend, as they may really make you wait a while, or even leave), and keep trying until they return, and see how relieved your are when you're allowed to see or hear again (obviously if you have the mischievous friend, that could be days, at which pint you'll be really relieved to get your sense back, and royally angry with your so called friend... also a good way to gauge how good a friend they are).

As for Elan, I feel bad, cause he's genre savvy enough to know he got left out, meanwhile I think it is great that Tarquin thinks of Nale as the idiot while thinking Elan is a real threat... though it does seem that Tarquin realizes that Elan is not the leader and knows Roy is in charge (or at least thinks Elan is the leader, but thinks Elan was smart enough to differ to Roy's tactical expertise and let Roy field command).

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This is the first time Tarquin has acknowleged alignments, and he also refered to a group he is part of as "evil."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AbuSpud View Post
    I'm not even gonna ask how you cure cancer by applying to the affected area....
    Imagine prostate cancer.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-09-12 at 05:50 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

There seems to be a typo in panel 9: ‘tissure paper’ for ‘tissue paper’.

I know ‘tissure’ is French for texture, but it doesn't seem right… unless the Giant was making a very indirect stab at the “cheese-eating surrender monkeys” stereotype.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looking for (re)group ? But where's Richard ?

12. - Top - End - #42

PirateGuy

not that I am a huge Nale fan and all, but it seems like Tarquin is being a bit tough on him. dude gets hit with a death trap, riddled with arrows, and then ambushed by Ceiling Belkar. thats a lot of damage in a couple of rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot;
    so before roland shows up and six guns us all, i would just like to say.....

six guns is not actually a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude;
    Sheriff: Six-gunned!
    all night guard of the fan club

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Nales deserves worse than what he just got.

14. - Top - End - #44

PirateGuy

how much worse can you get then getting repeatedly shanked by Ceiling Belkar who actually, through genetics, has a primary strike zone of ball level?
    Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot;
    so before roland shows up and six guns us all, i would just like to say.....

six guns is not actually a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude;
    Sheriff: Six-gunned!
    all night guard of the fan club

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #863 - The Discussion Thread

Elan: "If you´re going to fib, Roy, at least make it belivable"

Hohoho has Elan just made a Level up and spend a point in Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Does anyone else see Nale's list of allies growing smaller and smaller? Not only is Sabine gone, but I've never been that clear on why Zz'dtri followed Nale, but as a smart Drow, I have to imagine he can tell how much better a leader Tarquin is, and one that helps heal him to boot.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Imagine prostate cancer.
    Gah!

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot View Post
    how much worse can you get then getting repeatedly shanked by Ceiling Belkar who actually, through genetics, has a primary strike zone of ball level?
    That is so going into my quote list. I'll have to remember that the next time I play a Dwarf.

Anyway, Tarquin could be making fun of the fact that he got his arse pretty solidly handed to him by a Halfling with a racial strength penalty, a small weapon penalty, and a mild tactical disadvantage (He couldn't hear, so Elan could have held him off quite deftly with some kind of sight-blocking spell or even just ducking deeper into the smoke) and a suboptimal class combination, since it really didn't seem like Belkar was raging. All while he single-handedly dealt with the one factor that had shut down the entire group.

Of course, he could also be calling him an idiot son because Elan actually remembered to get him something for Evil Tyrant day, while Nale tried to invade with three woodchucks, Thog on rocket boots, and a Kobold that had three levels of Bard.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adeptus View Post
    Of the sausage variety priceless!
    Does this mean that Z is explicitly male?

Quote Originally Posted by Musta Nuoli View Post
    Now all we need to do is to mass-produce the ointment. Of course, getting the hearts of the virgins (taken on their wedding night) might be slightly problematic. Maybe we could replace it with Virgin Oil taken from some chef's kitchen?
    Not just problematic, it's also not necessary. Virgin's heart is an inactive ingredient. It can be left out altogether.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

20. - Top - End - #50

I liked this strip, as well as the fact that Tarquin was shown to be capable of human error in order to quell the criticism that he seemed impossibly knowledgeable.
    : But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I believe he's been explicitly male for some time already.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I'd never heard of Keoghtom's ointment before. There's no indication that it's an evil item requiring the heart of a virgin. I suppose that's humor, and perhaps an alternate recipe which Tarquin got from Evil Pharmacy, Inc.

As expected, Tarquin proves to be the Adam-West style Batman hero, who's got something for every occasion on a utility belt. Which may explain why he's stayed alive so long and reached such high levels.

*Chuckle* But he still doesn't understand that Elan experience great competence swings. When he got his level in dashing swordsman, he proved quite effective. But now that he's back with Roy he's reverted to being useless. It's almost like Roy infantilizes him some how.

And of course the last panel brings the funny :). Here's hoping Elan can prove more useful in the near future.

ETA: The result of this encounter is that the LG is deprived of Sabine for 24 hours, just as the OOTS has been temporarily deprived of Vaarsuvius. So for the next 24 hours, they will encounter each other at near parity.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2012-09-12 at 07:14 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

23. - Top - End - #53

OrcBarbarianGuy

I see what you did there, giant. Great comic.

24. - Top - End - #54

Thanks Giant!
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well at least Tarquin didn't try to believe Elan planned the entire ambush...

He has to agree Roy is keeping his word by protecting Elan though I am wondering how long before Nale actually points out whose actually leading Elan's group of course there is an odd chance he doesn't know... nah!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Once again I wonder what Tarquin's reaction will be once he is shown that Elan is not the great super-warrior he wants him to be. He seems to go to great lengths to ignore that fact. Certainly Nale realize's his father's naivety about it.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Hey, unlike drow males, drow females leave absolutely nothing to the imagination. So their genders look like "androgynous" and "'literally killer' bombshell"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, now they're literally dragging kilkil around behind them. I'm SURE he's destined for something. Mentioned it once, calling it now: Kilkil kills Belkar.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Der_DWSage View Post
    That is so going into my quote list. I'll have to remember that the next time I play a Dwarf.
    Dwarves swing for the kidneys. Halflings hit below the belt.

The most feared warrior is not a hulking brute with a greataxe, or a swift and deadly swordsman, but a halfling with a spiked mace.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    The most feared warrior is not a hulking brute with a greataxe, or a swift and deadly swordsman, but a halfling with a spiked mace.
    Can I sig this? This is awesomesauce.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.