Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: OOTS #863 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    New comic is up.

And before anyone says anything:

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, I know Keoghtum's Ointment doesn't normally remove deafness. That's why this is Extra Strength.
    But if it is Extra Strength - surely it must cure E.D. ... so I'm sad it wasn't in the list.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    The inactive ingredient list for Keoghtom's ointment EXTRA STRENGTH is probably the best argument in favor of pre-marital coitus in the D&D multiverse that I have ever seen.
    "Mysterious circumstances" indeed!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    oh look who doesnt have a back up axe, looks like Tarquins offensive ability has been reduced quite a bit
    Yea, until he uses that whip to snatch/retrieve the axe (Hollywood style) from whoever is wielding it when they next meet...

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDJ View Post
    Yea, until he uses that whip to snatch/retrieve the axe (Hollywood style) from whoever is wielding it when they next meet...
    assuming they dont jsut sunder it or toss it into a bag of holding or something

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I have to admit, i don't get the joke in the title. Obviously, everyone is looking to regroup - but what's the joke?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedTeller View Post
    I have to admit, i don't get the joke in the title. Obviously, everyone is looking to regroup - but what's the joke?
    looking for group is a popular webcomic
    Last edited by Forikroder; 2012-09-12 at 11:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I'm not really sure how it's funny, either. It's a reference to the video game message "looking for group" (LFG) but I don't see how that's supposed to elicit a laugh, myself.

Mind you, I enjoy the strip, but I'm not sure why the title is supposed to be funny (or even if it is supposed to be).
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Too bad an illusion would've done jack squat, considering Tarquin's nifty ring.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Musta Nuoli View Post
    I sure could have used some Keoghtum's Ointment a week ago, I had a terrible flu. It probably would have helped also to some long-term medical conditions. Hey, if it cures cancer, it can probably deal with a migraine and asthma.

Now all we need to do is to mass-produce the ointment. Of course, getting the hearts of the virgins (taken on their wedding night) might be slightly problematic. Maybe we could replace it with Virgin Oil taken from some chef's kitchen?
    Mind you, the virgin hearts were among the inactive ingredients. They're not essential for the effect (but perhaps for the flavor...).
    I'm sure they could be replaced with the more... well-used variety...

10. - Top - End - #100

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    2nd EDIT: And now I found out about Keoghtum too: "And Keoghtom is a quasi-deity of Oerth, detailed in the 1983 World of Greyhawk set and featuring in Gary Gygax's Gord novels as Lord Keogh." (from Candlekeep forum).
    That's why the ointment is also known as Keogh medicine.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I don't know why, but something about Tar. patting Zz' with the ointment makes me go, "awww, cute!"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    There's something about smiling Zz'dtri that so gosh darn adorable.
    I agree. That was probably the first thing that really caught my eye in this comic and I thought it was rather endearing as well.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Love how Tarquin is still convinced Elan is very powerful and an asset to his team.

Father's pride, I guess.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Oh look, Tarquin having just the right tools to solve everything. Yawn.

Oh, and I think Tarquin meant "tissue paper".
    Last edited by Mantine; 2012-09-12 at 12:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    The whip thing does fit with the whole film allusion thing. Apparently, he thinks he's Harrison Ford.
    Except that the Star Wars references were pretty explicit - an evil masked warlord serving an emperor/empress, having fathered twin children separated at birth, leading to the great reveal, "I am your father, Elan."

That ain't Han.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Mantine View Post
    Oh look, Tarquin having just the right tools to solve everything. Yawn.

Oh, and I think Tarquin meant "tissue paper".
    I feel the same way generally but a fighter carrying some sort of healing potion and a back up weapon is hardly deus ex machina.

At least Rich had him leave it with the dino instead of on his persons where he would have just used the whip to grab his axe.

Hopefully Tarq will die alone, forgotten and in an anti-climatic fashion. An off screen death, maybe getting stuck in a trap then forgotten for 20 strips, only to have it pan back to his skeleton, would be perfectly poetic and just.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

This comic made me feel a bit young and/or not as into the hobby as I had thought. I started D&D with Baldur's Gate and only got into the paper version with 3.0, and I had never heard the term Keoghtum before.

Interesting comic otherwise. Elan's reaction at the end reflected my own surprise. Of course, dramatically, this probably means that the Order will suffer a major reversal of some kind. Or maybe they'll have to team up with Tarquin to protect themselves from Xykon. It would be hilarious if Tarquin died a heroe's death saving both his children after all his speeches about how he wants to be the villain and enjoy his life until his own son overthrows him in climactic fashion.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

18. - Top - End - #108

Elan seems particularly perceptive in this one.
    Many thanks to Ceika for my Avatar

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calintares View Post
    This is the first time Tarquin has acknowleged alignments, and he also refered to a group he is part of as "evil."
    That's interesting... is it just fluff in his usual wordy, sarcastic repartee, or is he signaling that even if alignment doesn't "exist" in an absolute sense, it's still a rhetorical tool to bind people together / manipulate people who believe in it...

#gradschool
    At least now I can get back to enjoying my glass of elven wine in peace and quiet, without being called on to intervene in someone else's problems.
    Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley! Ring, ring, ring goes the bell! Git away from me, ye daft fool!
    *sigh*

20. - Top - End - #110

PaladinGuy

Well, I'm not really sure how it's funny, either. It's a reference to the video game message "looking for group" (LFG) but I don't see how that's supposed to elicit a laugh, myself.

Mind you, I enjoy the strip, but I'm not sure why the title is supposed to be funny (or even if it is supposed to be).
    http://lfgcomic.com/page/1

It's a shout out to another webcomic. Comic artists do that from time to time.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. I just yesterday got my hands on the sourcebook Dungeonscape, which Rich co-authored, where I read a list of dungeon item packages, which included this "Keoghtum's ointment". But I could not discover where it was from. Couldn't find it in the DMG. Does anyone know? Strange to see it resurface here...

EDIT: Actually, now I discovered that this is the same as Restorative Ointment, just with a cooler name...\\
    Keoghtum's ointment is the canon name. The SRD can't use "product identity", you see, which means that monsters like Beholders are omitted from its list and it can't use the names of specific D&D characters in the descriptions of spells or items. So Keoghtum's ointment becomes a more generic Restorative ointment, and we get artifacts like "The Saint's Mace", and the spell names are bereft of references to Tenser or Bigby. This occasionally causes confusion between people that use the SRD almost exclusively and those that don't.

That ointment is handy to have, although not very cost effective at all. You're much better off loading up on a much larger number of scrolls and potions for the same price. Still, having several healing options in one package that even the fighter can use to help his companions is alluring to some, and in low-magic campaigns, it means you can make a healing item with just Craft Wondrous Item and not have to worry about wands or scrolls or potions.

I guess that another way that the ointment is genuinely superior to potions of equivalent effect is that it doesn't necessarily require your character to do anything to receive the effect. You could command your hireling or your Unseen Servant to smear the stuff on you while you spent your own action casting a spell, rather then wasting a Standard Action on swigging some potion just to mitigate the enemies debuff.
    Last edited by SlyJohnny; 2012-09-12 at 02:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    There's something about smiling Zz'dtri that so gosh darn adorable.
    Agreed. It also illustrates how Tarquin has managed to keep his group going for so long.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    The inactive ingredient list for Keoghtom's ointment EXTRA STRENGTH is probably the best argument in favor of pre-marital coitus in the D&D multiverse that I have ever seen.
    That strategy won't help if you're trying to avoid being sacrificed to an orc god.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thanks for the explanations on the title. I had not heard of that one.

25. - Top - End - #115

DruidGuy

I also like how disappointed Tarquin was at Nale. He really was testing him, and Nale fell short.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffo View Post
    I love it when these get meta. Seriously, when's the last time a group of good guys just did a great job and WON a fight?

My friends roll their eyes at me when I treat this comic like literature, but I love it when Giant screws around with narrative conventions.

This is the same reason people love Joss Whedon - defying convention in ways that make the story better.
    +10!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, and btw... Tarquin has started giving orders to his "idiot son".
    And Nale is too shaken (and alone) to protest (for now).

28. - Top - End - #118

BlueWizardGirl

Mostly a filler/exposition strip. That's the frustrating thing about this format - it's like reading a book that's released one page at a time. Hopefully things will start progressing soon (i.e.: movement forward in the V arc, something of interest happening with Malack, and Xykon and Redcloack and the MitD showing up). The whole battle was interesting in showing how the Order has improved, but it hasn't actually moved the plot forward at all.

Tarquin is once again prepared for everything. I'm okay with that provided that he is defeated by the end of this book and actually makes one or more visible and clear mistakes.

EDIT: Oh, and between the ancient pyramid and the whip, I'm expecting at least one Indiana Jones reference before this arc ends.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2012-09-12 at 04:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    I think I know who is going to end up with Tarquin's Axe!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thog!
    Yeah, for some reason I can't shake the feeling that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thog is going to still be alive and return for revenge on nale's daddy

No idea why though, maybe I'm just wishing for it.

30. - Top - End - #120

Huh. I just yesterday got my hands on the sourcebook Dungeonscape, which Rich co-authored, where I read a list of dungeon item packages, which included this "Keoghtum's ointment". But I could not discover where it was from. Couldn't find it in the DMG. Does anyone know? Strange to see it resurface here...

EDIT: Actually, now I discovered that this is the same as Restorative Ointment, just with a cooler name...

2nd EDIT: And now I found out about Keoghtum too: "And Keoghtom is a quasi-deity of Oerth, detailed in the 1983 World of Greyhawk set and featuring in Gary Gygax's Gord novels as Lord Keogh." (from Candlekeep forum).

3rd EDIT: So, I guess this might be called the second time (that I discovered) where Rich draws on his sourcebook, then, the other being the acidborn shark.
    But now that I actually own a copy of the Dungeonscape book, I'll certainly look more closelier to see other instances where it's referenced in the OOTS!
    Keoghtum's ointment is a very classic D&D item. The Restorative Ointment is due to the SRD purging classic D&D names and replacing them with generic names.
    Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    There's one major flaw with Roy's plan, which was Durkon was surrounded by the enemy, included a really good fighter. How would Durkon escape?
    Thor's Might! Divine Power! ... how does the enemy fighters escape?
    Last edited by SoC175; 2012-09-12 at 04:24 PM.