New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: OOTS #863 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelSacha View Post
    For whoever speaks Latin (or Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese, Romenian... heck, even Greek), a character whose name ends in "-ius" is obviously male, because such names can only be male. It sounds very "manly", indeed. A woman named "-ius", instead, would be ridiculous. Granted, in a fantasy world the rules don't have to be the same. And if Rich had intended for V's gender to be uncertain from the start, it might have sounded weird that he was called Vaarsuvius, but still acceptable (that is the case with Inkyrius). Unlikely, mind you, but still technically possible. However, given the level of culture that Rich has proved to have, and given the fact that he openly stated that he didn't plan V's gender to be ambiguous from the beginning, it's frankly unthinkable that he would have called an originally female "Vaarsuvia" with a name such as Vaarsuvius.
    The gender-neutral form would be Vaarsuvium.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hakflem View Post
    On the matter of OOTS levelling, I think you guys underestimate how far they've gone since the time they had to flee from a dozen goblins or a couple ogres. Trying to guess their lvl according to their number of attacks or highest level of spells cast can be done but won't be very accurate. Just like stating that according to my experience as a RPG player, when Roy came in possession of a +5 sword a very long time ago I will guess that he must have been lvl 13-14 at the very least at the time.
    I think you don't understand one fundamental trait of "OOTS leveling": NPCs don't need to actually level up. They can be paradropped in front of the PCs any time and when that happens, they'll magically be at the "right" level, appropriate for the story and challenge.

So, regardless of what we do or do not know about Tarquin's background, he's clearly a fair bit higher level than the Order. I had called that before we knew Durkon's Holy Word hadn't affected him -- that piece of confirming evidence wasn't even needed to know it, because it's so obvious that it (should normally) go without saying: when the PCs meet a new big bad villain, the said big bad villain is more powerful than them, no matter how many years of adventuring he's got under his belt.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

3. - Top - End - #213

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    just lookat, say, Malack telling Tarquin to stop messing around and fight seriously

besides even assuming that that is tarquins main fighting style it still doesnt change that without his axe hes completely reliant on the rest of his party to do the damage, with only a whip we wont take someone down in a million years

Without the Axe, yes, he can't do things like Power Attack and Cleave very well.

He could pretty easily, however, disarm someone with a weapon that can, and then just use that. So...
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds;

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelSacha View Post
    Are there still people arguing about this?

Look, guys, it's very simple: Vaarsuvius' gender is now officially "unidentified".
    After a few strips, Rich Burlew realized that people couldn't tell what V was, and decided to catch up on the joke, spreading several conflicting hints, and letting the characters in the strip itself divide on the subject.

However, V was originally intended to be one or the other.
    Rich Burlew never said which one, but a few hints indicate that V was meant to be male:
    1. Early on, Rich Burlew was surprised to see appreciation comments on having a D&D party with two females;
    2. You know how many of us say "s/he" referring to Vaarsuvius? Or how others just say "he" or "she" depending on what they think V is? Well, Rich Burlew usually goes with the politically correct "s/he" expression. Except once, when he said "he". A slip, for sure, but quite a revealing one.
    3. For whoever speaks Latin (or Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese, Romenian... heck, even Greek), a character whose name ends in "-ius" is obviously male, because such names can only be male. It sounds very "manly", indeed. A woman named "-ius", instead, would be ridiculous. Granted, in a fantasy world the rules don't have to be the same. And if Rich had intended for V's gender to be uncertain from the start, it might have sounded weird that he was called Vaarsuvius, but still acceptable (that is the case with Inkyrius). Unlikely, mind you, but still technically possible. However, given the level of culture that Rich has proved to have, and given the fact that he openly stated that he didn't plan V's gender to be ambiguous from the beginning, it's frankly unthinkable that he would have called an originally female "Vaarsuvia" with a name such as Vaarsuvius.

NOT THAT IT MATTERS, THOUGH.
    Because an author has every right to ret-con what he sees fit (and in this case, since V's gender was never openly stated, it's a very mild ret-con), and what it was meant to be at the beginning has no effect on what it is now.
    Thanks for summing this up!

You actually forgot a couple other elements that are also pointing to V having been created male (for example, off the top of my head, there's RawBearNYC's opinion on the ways Rich invariably made male/female bodies different in his very early stick figure style, and from memory there's also another thing Rich said somewhere in 2003 which is quite revealing when you read between the lines), but getting into the details of these would belong in the (currently dormant, as no other evidence ever surfaces as the years pass) V's gender discussion thread.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It's hard to see Tarquin as 17th or so, if we assume that the OOTS is 13-15 or so. He talks about them as mid-level and about how things were back when he was their level. that could just be Tarquin, but he seems to tolerate them the way that Xykon does, as a nuisance as opposed to a threat. I'd guess he's significantly more powerful than any OOTS character.

As for Elan - there's a very good reason why he would be bad in this fight, which is that his competence is tied to his puns. I'm guessing that if the opponent cannot hear the pun, he is no longer oddly effective Elan, but just a guy singing a song Elan.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    i assume since hes carrying it around he has the feat

unless the whip is for the pterodn but it seems so well trained i find it unlikely
    Tarquin is the ruler of an empire built upon slavery. Even if he isn't training dinosaurs, in the past there might have been plenty of humans to use it upon without trying to fight them. He has slavedrivers to do that for him now, when they aren't on strike.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Colossus in the Playground

I would be surprised if Tarquin didn't have Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Whip.

('Course, Forikroder, if he does that's evidence against Tarquin having a ton of feats around using a greataxe, and flat-out refutation of the idea that Tarquin has no feats that are about using another weapon.)
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-09-14 at 11:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Tarquin could be as low as level 15-16 or as high as Epic. More likely somewhere in between.

I have two quibbles with Tarquin being Epic level:
    (1) It is impressive to toy with a group of opposing characters just 2 or 3 levels lower than you, because it can easily go wrong. If Tarquin is 21st+ level, it is just toying with outright inferiors. That is not impressive at all. It is just a DM Pet peeing on the PCs with impunity (yet again).

(2) I have suspension of disbelief difficulties with Epic NPCs lying around. The OotsVerse doesn't feel (to me) like a world where there are many challenges around to actually push past the mid-teens. IMHO, of course.

Obviously there is some significant degree of wiggle room on both points. But "wow, Tarquin must be Epic" is not really a positive point for how I would rate Tarquin, both as a character and the quality of writing for his character.

And the same points apply to Xykon, albeit to a much lesser degree. "Wow, Xykon is probably 27th level" makes me first and foremost think how amazingly incompetent he is, not how impressive or interesting his is.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xan499 View Post
    If Malack is in the room with all the corpses, my first guess would be that he's going to make more undead, but, what would he do with more undead? Maybe we will get to find out what else his staff does soon.
    Basically? Have them one-shotted. But more to the point, Malack is not really into necromancy, and not even into fighting the OOTS. Flee or Talk are his options.

10. - Top - End - #220

It also occurs to me that the point of the "inactive ingredient" is to drive home that Elan was absolutely right to think that any item Tarquin would have to give would be monstrously evil.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krim View Post
    Basically? Have them one-shotted. But more to the point, Malack is not really into necromancy, and not even into fighting the OOTS. Flee or Talk are his options.
    Malack holds his cards close to his chest, something to be commended in a Maybe Major Villain. He is fun to speculate about (and I my own fun and outlandish speculations about Malack, which I will not go into here), but really we do not know what makes Malack tick yet.

I look forward to seeing him play his cards on the table.

12. - Top - End - #222

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    Tarquin could be as low as level 15-16 or as high as Epic. More likely somewhere in between.
    Agreed. A more constructive discussion would be on Tarquins maximum level. I think we can safely conclude Tarquin's level < Xykon's. I think there is a lot of evidence that Tarquin's level >= Durkon's level + [1d4 + 1], somewhere in that range. I don't see any justification for going much higher.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Isn't it very established by now that Tarquin favours pre-marital sex? He certainly didn't mind it with the Captain of the Free City of Doom. It seems almost certain that the oinment is not the reason for all his wives dying, after all, remember we all thought he had killed Penelope, and look who was actually the killer :P.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    It also occurs to me that the point of the "inactive ingredient" is to drive home that Elan was absolutely right to think that any item Tarquin would have to give would be monstrously evil.
    On the nose.

To add insult to injury, the objectionable part is an inactive ingredient, that is rifting on a classic D&D non-evil magic item. It could have been heart of a pig. Or olive oil. It so happens that Tarquin simply likes it better when it includes heart of a virgin.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    Just out of curiousity, why does Tarquin need to screw up? Is it somehow less satisfying to see the protagonists succeed by their own merits rather than because of the incompetence of their foes? I still don't understand why Tarquin's near-omniscient preparedness is more upsetting to people than Xykon's near-omnipotent spell spower and quasi-immortality.
    Because Xykon is near-omnipotent following the plot, while Tarquin's near-omniscient preparedness is due to the Plot.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Tarquin doesn't really seem unusually prepared, or particularly 'broken' in terms of what he can do.

I would expect a high-level Factotem with roughly infinite WBL, in a universe where rolled stats can and do produce anti-MAD monsters like Miko, to be more than capable of doing everything he has*. By the same token, his preparations are general precautions rather than Batman-style "aha, but I secretly fed you paralyzing poison in your hotel chocolates, which are activated by the adrenaline of our fight**" shenanigans.

Personally though, I still like Nale much much more than Tarquin. He is funny, actually pretty successful as antagonists go, has connections to every major player in the plot, and the Nale/Sabine relationship is interesting. If Nale doesn't kill Tarquin and take back the "recurring secondary villain" mantle by the end of this arc I would be very surprised.

*Heck, with the right items even a high-Int Fighter could pull off most of his tricks; slap some Gloves of Arrow Snatching, a used-up Luck Blade or three, the item which gives Mettle + a Ring of Evasion, standard Save and AC boosting items, even something like a Tome of Clear Thought +5 if he needs extra skill points/languages known.
    **Actually a real Batman plan, though it was **** Grayson instead of Bruce himself.

-Edit-
    Seriously? THAT got auto-censored?
    Last edited by Water_Bear; 2012-09-14 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Huh?

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Very good observation!
    LGBTitP

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I just want to say that if this isn't the weirdest line of argument I've seen this thread take yet, it's not for lack of trying.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    Personally though, I still like Nale much much more than Tarquin. He is funny, actually pretty successful as antagonists go, has connections to every major player in the plot, and the Nale/Sabine relationship is interesting. If Nale doesn't kill Tarquin and take back the "recurring secondary villain" mantle by the end of this arc I would be very surprised.
    These are my thoughts as well.

For some reason, I see Nale teleporting and leaving Tarquin by himself in a collapsing pyramid, near an exploding Gate, and/or near a bored Xykon.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Mantine View Post
    Because Xykon is near-omnipotent following the plot, while Tarquin's near-omniscient preparedness is due to the Plot.
    Honestly, hisknowing Drow sign language was the only really questionable thing he did, and it's at least conceivable that a really, really experienced adventurer such as himself would take the time to learn a silent form of communication, as he'd know that there would be at lesat some situations where verbal communciation would be impossible.

Hell, I thought of this in a totally unrelated situation, so...
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds;

20. - Top - End - #230
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofHellfire View Post
    Hell, I thought of this in a totally unrelated situation, so...
    You or a character of yours?

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by MartectX View Post
    You or a character of yours?

Me, for a character of mine. I ultimately discarded the idea because practically no one else knows Drow Sign Language, so the communication wouldn't be effective, but Tarquin's been in a position to train armies. He could easily have taught some of his elite goons the language, and thus found a use for it.

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    These are my thoughts as well.

For some reason, I see Nale teleporting and leaving Tarquin by himself in a collapsing pyramid, near an exploding Gate, and/or near a bored Xykon.
    ...with Zzt'dri, the one who can teleport, at least possibly warming to Tarquin?

Debatable...

23. - Top - End - #233
    Banned

Nale, by virtue of knowing Dimension Door, can teleport. Granted, he can only go a few hundred feet at a time, but he's a sorcerer. He can do it again. And again. And again. You see the pattern.

Also, why are people assuming Z's going to consciously betray Nale for Tarquin? He's stayed loyal to Nale for over eight hundred strips, and has been working behind Tarquin's back, on Nale's behalf, for a significant part of that time. A small kindness by Tarquin is enough to persude him otherwise? Why? Because Tarquin has magical friendship powers? Now, I like MLP as much as the next guy, but this story is not that one.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    You're assuming that nobody else is going to show up; it's high time for Xykon to do exactly that. Then there is the matter of where V and Malack are.
    Even if Xykon now gets the jump on Tarquin and co, the pace has been slowed considerably. I am indeed looking forward to seeing Malack again, as I posted before, but the LG getting away to regroup has been done before. More than once. As someone else commented in this thread, it feels like a children's show where the villain always miraculously escapes so he'll be around for the the next episode.

I'd love to see some definite progress, not yet another escape + replace the mooks.Even the loss of Sabine is very much temporary (although the time she's forcibly gone can be more than enough for a decent confrontation.

But hey, it's not my story, I definitely can't do better. But this is how I feel about this plot point :)
    Last edited by Bundin; 2012-09-14 at 07:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jere7my View Post
    We've known for a long time that Zz'd'tri is unambiguously male.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Have we known that? Where was this shown?
    Quote Originally Posted by luc258 View Post
    Because female drows are completely unbalanced - in all the best ways.
    That may be true in other strips. Is that true in OOTS? Where is the unambiguously female drow in the strip?

Lirian is the only elf in the strip with an obvious gender, as far as I know.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    That may be true in other strips. Is that true in OOTS? Where is the unambiguously female drow in the strip?

Lirian is the only elf in the strip with an obvious gender, as far as I know.
    This drow: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html

Drow are traditionally matriarchal, so them being less gender ambiguous makes sense.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

27. - Top - End - #237
    Bugbear in the Playground

This drow: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html

Drow are traditionally matriarchal, so them being less gender ambiguous makes sense.
    Here's another.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    All the more reason for those to be male drow in drag, scheming to usurp power. Nah, there are two male drow featured in On the Origins of the PCs. Both have boxy torsos and they are either wearing the trappings of wizards or come with the standard-issue scimitars. Zz'dtri does both. There was also at least one female elf in OOotPC, and a number of them in Start of Darkness, however none of those were Drow.

Some more clues for Ron Miel, which I don't think have been brought up. First, the Linear Guild recruited Pompey as Vaarsuvius' evil opposite; Pompey had a clearly-established gender identity. Also, Qarr is openly confused about V's gender, yet confident in using male pronouns for Zz'dtri. Z is too... terse to really establish that, but I think Qarr and Sabine is enough. I also found it very funny when Vaarsuvius used Haley's catchphrase - guess which part was the error.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2012-09-14 at 11:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    I think you don't understand one fundamental trait of "OOTS leveling": NPCs don't need to actually level up. They can be paradropped in front of the PCs any time and when that happens, they'll magically be at the "right" level, appropriate for the story and challenge.

So, regardless of what we do or do not know about Tarquin's background, he's clearly a fair bit higher level than the Order. I had called that before we knew Durkon's Holy Word hadn't affected him -- that piece of confirming evidence wasn't even needed to know it, because it's so obvious that it (should normally) go without saying: when the PCs meet a new big bad villain, the said big bad villain is more powerful than them, no matter how many years of adventuring he's got under his belt.
    I agree with you as far as one shot vilains are concerned, but that would be silly for recurent ones like Red Cloak for exemple. You can't have him cast much more powerful spells from 1 strip to another without raising questions.

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by hakflem View Post
    I agree with you as far as one shot vilains are concerned, but that would be silly for recurent ones like Red Cloak for exemple. You can't have him cast much more powerful spells from 1 strip to another without raising questions.
    Really?

So you had questions when Nale went from Expeditious Retreat to Suggestion? Or when Redcloak summoned a fiendish elephant?
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-09-15 at 10:15 AM.