New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Covenant (Halo) vs The Grand Imperium of Man (Warhammer 40k)

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    Blame the internet.
    Damn you, internet.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Damn you, internet.
    hey whoa that's a personal attack! The internet could flag that post and have you banned!
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    hey whoa that's a personal attack! The internet could flag that post and have you banned!
    Should I edit all mentions of the internet from my post? This could be bad! Don't tell the mods!

4. - Top - End - #514
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Carbon compounds =/= organic compounds and processes.
    Yes it does. The whole POINT of organic chemistry is the way carbon acts in various compounds.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    Yes it does. The whole POINT of organic chemistry is the way carbon acts in various compounds.
    Not all Carbon Compounds are Organic compounds though. And, possibly more important, not all aspects of dealing with the Organic compounds are themselves organic processes: see the creation of Carbon Nanotubes, or other such things.

I've taken Organic Chemistry, and just because a molecule has carbon in it does not mean biological processes made it.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Not all Carbon Compounds are Organic compounds though. And, possibly more important, not all aspects of dealing with the Organic compounds are themselves organic processes: see the creation of Carbon Nanotubes, or other such things.

I've taken Organic Chemistry, and just because a molecule has carbon in it does not mean biological processes made it.
    Heck I'd say this is should be especially so with various forms of carbon.

At the risk of being overly broad organisms are big mixing bowls of chemicals. You throw whatever into the mix, stirr, and wait for the reaction. That's I dare say is why you can have some very complex products in organic systems, the chemical reaction has been cascading for a couple of billion years now.

Which of course when talking about only one ingredient poses a huge problem. Put two lumps of coal in a bowl and what happens? Broadly speaking nothing.

A diamond isn't all that chemically complex, its all one element. It however only occurs when there are certain pressures and heat, only found naturally deep within the Earth or at the site of major explosions like meteor impacts. And our methods of making diamonds replicate this.

(I can accept a little play in this, but its still a huge hurtle that blithe statements relying on underfined methods are totally ignoring. This isn't just not known to be possible but having good reason to suspect something isn't)
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-09-24 at 10:43 AM.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

This thread got so derailed that the derail got derailed.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

8. - Top - End - #518
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    Yo dawg, I heard you like off-topic threads...

9. - Top - End - #519
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yo dawg, I heard you like off-topic threads...
    Yo, dawg, I heard you like yo, dawg, I heard you like yo, dawg, so I put yo, dawg, I heard you like yo, dawg, in your you I heard you like yo, dawg, so I put yo, dawg, I heard you like yo, dawg, in your yo, dawg, I heard you like you like yo, dawg, so that you can yo, dawg, I heard you like yo, dawg, while you yo, dawg, I heard you like yo, dawg.
    Last edited by Misery Esquire; 2012-09-24 at 07:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    Hey, quiet. I was waiting for the conversation to be over so I could ask what PCC sells all-organic weaponry. I've been looking to keep my house green.

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-09-26 at 05:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Guns for example are a "dead" technology as of about fifty years ago, the laws of physics leave them nowhere to go. - soras

Last time i checked we were still using them ...

Last edited by Peacemoon; 2012-11-14 at 02:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peacemoon View Post
    Guns for example are a "dead" technology as of about fifty years ago, the laws of physics leave them nowhere to go. - soras

Last time i checked we were still using them ...

Ballistics hasn't improved one bit in the last 100 years since the advent of full power centre-fire smokeless cartridges, the only thing we've done since then is moved to a smaller intermediate calibre, which happened mostly to reduce weight of ammo and get better armor penetration. Chambers/actions themselves haven't improved much (except for a few handguns) since the 60's - we're still using M-16/AR-15 derivatives, and much of that was the paradigm shift from SMG for CQC and rifle for range to a universal assault rifle; and slightly better manufacturing technology. We could make fully automatic guns as far back as WWI, they were just really big and not very portable. While there were some improvements after the 60's, all of them were incremental and evolutionary, not revolutionary the same way a magazine or a cartridge were.

Most of the current development are things like laser pointers and mildot sights, and are a result of completely non-related technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

There have been other innovations, but they're currently very experimental or there were significant design flaws that effectively made the technology non-viable.

Gyrojet ammunition was found not to have any significant benefits for its drawbacks, and caseless ammunition was pretty much the same.

I know some weapon systems are messing about with electrically triggered munitions (the Metal Storm system comes to mind), but in general I agree that there's not much more for chemically driven firearms to develop, which is a different issue to them being the currently most effective personal weapon available.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    You do realize that this is a multiplayer gametype right?

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    You do realize that this is a multiplayer gametype right?
    You do realize that post is over two months old, right?

16. - Top - End - #526
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Just saying i have these discussions with my friend, didn't read the entire posts but the covenant Carriers are made to glass entire planets, you even see in one of the Halo games the intense beam shooting straight through a UNSC Ship, a Shield Tower and still leaving a large crater in the planet, so if one of these were to get above one of the opposing ships it'd cause collateral damage to that ship, and if the planet didn't expect them the carriers could indefinatly if they knew what they were against effectively wipe the planets surface, not to mention the reproductive rate of the Grunt (100 grunts can breed 10,000 more in a short period time) who also managed to stand their own against their own force, so yeah Warhammer owns gun combat but the Sangheli ships are built for the most unlikely odds (Halo 3 around 5 Elite ships vs 100 Brute ships, Elite ships tore their numbers down)

17. - Top - End - #527
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Great Modthulhu: Thread Necromancy is heresy. *BLAM*