New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Demihuman gods and adapting them for humans (D&D)

I'm slowly working on a setting for an AD&D game and I've been thinking about the gods, and in particular the gods of the Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes and so on.

In my setting the relationship between the demihumans and humans is a bit like that between the Ancient Greek and Romans. Elvish and Dwarvish power has waned greatly while human power has expanded but the humans are fascinated and admiring of the older peoples culture and draw a lot of influence from them. So maybe part of that influence is in religion, as it was with the Romans adopting much of Greek religion. I'm adapting the demihuman gods (in Monster Mythology) into a more human format.

Any advice or thoughts? What demihuman gods would be 'promoted' or 'demoted' in human eyes and who would fade in total obscurity because they just don't translate?

2. - Top - End - #2

BlackDragon

Default Re: Demihuman gods and adapting them for humans (D&D)

Okay I've had a few further thoughts.

I can easily see Corellon Larethlan as something like Lugh with elements of Apollo - a god of excellence, arts, music, magic, and martial skill. Popular amongst nobles, scholars, bards, military officers and some magicians. For humans he's probably an Intermediate God rather than a Greater God since he isn't a creator deity anymore.
    Human name: Corellus.
    Alignment: Neutral Good (originally Chaotic Good)
    Appearance: A tall, handsome, beardless, athletic young man.
    Symbol: His elven symbol is the crescent moon but that doesn't really fit his human aspect. Maybe a staff and sword crossed?

Sehanine the elven moon goddess is still goddess of the moon but she has otherwise recieved a demotion (from Intermediate Goddess to Lesser Goddess, or even Demigoddess). She is patroness of illusions and dreams which makes her popular with illusionists (obviously) and thieves but a lot of other aspects don't fit as well into human society and are probably dropped and transferred to more appropriate deities. In human myth she is a much more minor goddess, probably the daughter of Corellus rather than his wife.
    Human name: Seraine
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral (originally Chaotic Good)
    Appearance: An enigmatically beautiful young woman, dark haired, slender limbed and pale.
    Symbol: Her elven symbol is the full moon. She keeps that and gains the hooded cloak and the magpie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Keep this thread going! It's a good idea; the 'deities for ONLY this race' thing always struck me as a bit weird.

As for ideas, Yondalla would hardly need any changes to how she's presented to make her a hearth and mother goddess, sort of a cross between Hestia and chiller Hera.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlackDragon

Heh, glad to see I'm not just writing this for myself!

Yes Yondalla fits quite well. Actuallty her position is sort of interesting because I see Halflings as somehow less 'ancient' than Elves, Dwarves and even Gnomes so her adoption into the human pantheon might be fairly new - which could conflict with her as a mother goddess type. However her combination of protector, provider and persuader makes her a great patron goddess for an individual kingdom (presumably one with lots of Halfling influence.) Additionally she is going to be beloved by farmers for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by RossN; 2012-11-25 at 06:54 AM.