New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CotCT game 3

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Default CotCT game 3

You found it amongst your things. An ornately illustrated slip of cardboard that caused the air to prickle your skin as you reached for it. The edges were worn with use though the colour pictures remain vibrant and seemed to shimmer in the light. The back of the card marked it as part of Harrow deck; a set of cards both the mystically attuned and those looking to part you from coin use for peering into the past, illuminating the present and foretelling the future.

This card though, had a message written across the front- it seemed a shame to disfigure the card but it must be important:
    "I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet I cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like you will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done."

As the hour draws near the urgent message on the card quickens your spirit, your heart anticipates revenge or justification or the finding of what is lost and as you leave your abode your single-minded goal means you fail to notice the sky change. What was bright and clear has become to dull and grey, clouds surging overhead and lightning strikes in the distance. The wind picks up as you snake your way through the streets. People rush past, bodies pressed against you as if something is stopping your progress to the address on the card.

You finally come to a quiet, narrow street where houses are pressed together, almost built ontop of each other. A few windows are boarded over, a door kicked in, many windows are dark, from a few weak light shines.

And yet a from a single window light and warmth radiate. It is a beacon of hope, an indicator that justice is at hand.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: CotCT game 3

A halfling in practical clothing walks down the street at a steady pace. Dav Pickett does not stop at the house; his goal may be in sight, but that just made it all the more important not to rush in and get himself killed. He keeps a steady pace, no stopping, no hesitation, no rushing, obscured by the crowds. He checks out the house, searching for any information that might help him know what to expect inside, or how to escape if things went nasty. He looks around for a way to get behind the house, to check the other side and make sure a trap didn't await.

Perception: (d20+6)[8](14)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Jeffa wearing his traveling clothes with his green cloak and red shirt. His armored coat protecting just in case there was danger. He keeps a casual pace, as it seemed the whole world seemed against him. He did his best to push through crowds of obnoxiois people who seemed to travel through toward him as if it was their job. When he got to the boarded up street... he felt at home. It reminded him of the old Lamm days.
    He noticed ahead of him a halfing... he decided he should see if the man be an ally or obstacle.

"Hey, you seem rather jumpy little guy. What business brought you to here? "

[roll=perception]1d20+0[/roll]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Might as well reroll perception because I messed it up somehow

perception - (1d20+0)[8]

5. - Top - End - #5

Dav eyes the man who stopped him. "My business."" He says, and stalks away, still searching for a way to the other side of the house.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, you are a stranger, and Dav is supposed to be somewhat gruff. And his sister has been kidnapped/enslaved. Really, there was only one way the first interaction could have gone.
    Last edited by Nihilarian; 2012-12-09 at 09:05 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Neither Dav or Jeffa find anything amiss with the house. Infact the warmth beaming from the windows seems to soothe any misapprehensions you have about the place.

Both of you notice the sign that is swinging from a wooden arm above the door- It depicts a woman reading fortunes from a Harrow deck and words above and below the picture indicate the building is both home and place of business for a woman named Zarella.

Dav also notices a scrap of paper nailed to the door. On closer inspection it reads:
    Thank you for coming. I had to step out for a bit, but shall return shortly. Please wait inside, there is bread and drink if you require nourishment.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Justice.

That was all that was really left for Tolvek. At the summons, Tolvek did some traveling. He picked up his sword and armor from his friends, wrapping himself in a blue cloak to cover them. He ignores the other two men completely, being of the single-minded kind. He read the sign on the door, and simply attempted to open the thing.

Sometimes the simple way is the best way.
    Got a couch, now for a dining room table.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Lialvia

The card intrigued the young half-elf. She had tried to put that event behind her but it still burned her inside. She grabbed her mantle and headed out.

As she arrived she pulled the white hood over her, hoping to hide her heritage from the three others already there.

"Hello," she says bravely to the others.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"Guess, we were all called, I'm hungry so might as well go in. And ma'dam, hello back"
    Jeffa said as he goes in to see what drink and brad he is offered, once Tolvek gets in the house and not in way of door.

If there is tasty bread, he goed, "nom nom nom"
    If it doesn't taste good, he goes "blargh"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

The cozy chamber within this small home is filled with a fragrant haze of flowers and strong spice.
    The haze comes from several sticks of incense smouldering in wall-mounted burners that look like butterfly-winged elves. The smoke itself seems to soften edges and gives the room a dream-like feel. The walls are draped with brocaded tapestries, one showing a black-skulled beast juggling
    men’s hearts, another showing a pair of angels dancing atop a snow-blasted mountain. A third tapestry on the far wall depicts a tall hooded figure
    shrouded in mist, a flaming sword held in a skeletal
    hand. Several brightly-colored rugs cover the floor, but the room’s only furnishings are a wooden table covered by a bright red throwcloth and several elegant tall-backed chairs. A basket covered by blue cloth sits under the table.

On top of the table sits a deck of cards, the backs of which match the one in your possession.

11. - Top - End - #11

Not seeing any other option, Dav enters as well. He doesn't eat, and stands with his back to a wall, looking around for exits.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Lialvia

She had expected someone to greet her and introduce themselves or at the very least respond to her salutation. Then she remembered why they were here and why they might want to remain anonymous.

She walked in and the room had a mysterious feel to it. Looking at the various wall hangs gave her an uneasy feeling. Turning her head to the table she briefly thought about sitting but decided against it just yet.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Taking the hint that they would have to wait a little while, Tolvek takes his greatsword off and leans it against one of the wall before sitting. He figured the types he was dealing with here would act the way they did, but he refused to let it get to him.

He had more important things to do than act all sullen and silent."So, you've all been wronged as well, then?"

Might as well get conversation going.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"You could say I knew a man named Gaeren who did me wrong. I will repay that debt some day. I reckon you had a similar man wrong you?"
    Jeffa said as he looked in the basket for bread mentioned on the note. If he finds any he starts taking a small bite on a piece to see how it tastes.

" The art work on those tapestries are happy eh.""
    he says with a smile before taking a seat.

15. - Top - End - #15

Dav stays where he is, a slight frown on his face. "I'm lookin' to kill a man needs killin'. But I don't yet know you enough to say more."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Lialvia

SHe was relieved that they didn't recognize her. That kind of fame was burden on her. "I'm sure Gaeren wronged each of us... assuming that message that brought us here was the same," she said in a wistful voice.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

"All right then, the nature of how he wronged is probably unimportant. I'm more concerned with where our supposed host is. Do you think something happened to him?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure, but the scent reminds me of a woman. No one I knew scents his house like this. But regardless of gender, them is late. Assuming they are in trouble, anyone notice any messages hidden here indicating where them might be. Them is late.
    Jeffa thought.
    Spoiler
    Show

perception - (1d20+0)[5]
    Searching for anything noteworthy.

19. - Top - End - #19

Dav grunts. "Her name is Zarella."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Not sure, but the scent reminds me of a woman. No one I knew scents his house like this. But regardless of gender, them is late. Assuming they are in trouble, anyone notice any messages hidden here indicating where them might be. Them is late.
    Jeffa thought.
    Spoiler
    Show

[roll0]
    Searching for anything noteworthy.
    Jeffa doesn't notice anything of interest. Either he is too focused on the question of who the host is, or the smoke of the incense is too thick.

Anyone consuming the food feels happier, though still hungry.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Lialvia

She takes a quick check then quietly casts a simple spell of viewing. With her arcane vision she looks around testing what might carry any mystical taint.

Spoiler
    Show

cast detect magic

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by shugyosha View Post
    Lialvia

She takes a quick check then quietly casts a simple spell of viewing. With her arcane vision she looks around testing what might carry any mystical taint.

Spoiler
    Show

cast detect magic
    The more she concentrates, Lialvia can feel the thickness of magic in the room. It seems to float around the group, dancing across the furnishings, across their skin, causing the hair to stand on end. The very air seems to reverberate with magic, like the flutter of the heart in your chest.

The strongest point of origin for the continual dance of magic centers on the deck of cards on the table. They seem to be the focus and all the magical energy permeates the room from them.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

The door opens and an attractive middle-aged Varisian woman with long dark hair walks in, a basket filled with mushrooms and other vegetables under one arm. Her eyes light up when she sees the four of you have already arrived, smiling at each of you in turn.

"Mister Pickett, so good that you have chosen to come. Don't frown so much, you'll get wrinkles.

Jeffa, Apologies for being so late. There is trouble in the air and the people are agitated.

Tolvek, Erastil has much use for that sword of yours. Don't let your life go to waste.

Ahh. Miss Lialvia. You see much more than most. Do no be afraid, we are all friends here."

She quickly sits at the table and motions for you to join her on one of the other four chairs. As she speaks she takes the Harrow deck and begins to shuffle, the cards seem to float and dance over her hands and the table. Patterns form in the air as the cards twirl, from one hand to the other, sliding across the table from one stack to the next. Her eyes are on you as she speaks, shining with warmth and hope.

“Thank you for coming, my friends, and for putting up with my unconventional method of contacting you. I have reason to remain hidden, you see—a terrible man would see great harm done to me if he knew I was reaching out for help. This is a man you know, for he has done something terrible to each of you as well. I speak, of course, of Gaedren Lamm, a man whose cruelty and capacity to destroy the lives of those he touches are matched only by his gift for avoiding reprisal.

You see, a year ago, his thieves stole this, my Harrow deck, from me. It is important to me, an heirloom passed down through a dozen generations, and also my sole means of support. When pickpockets stole it, my son, Eran, tracked them down. The thieves were in the employ of Gaedren Lamm, and in reward for finding them, Gaedren murdered my son."

Here she pauses, catching her breath. She is still visibly shaken by the loss of her son.
    Last edited by Grūmble; 2012-12-17 at 04:00 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Dav grunts. "How do you know it was him?" He moves to sit down, but still doesn't partake of any food. He stares at the woman intently, focused.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Zarella puts the Harrow deck down, her hand still on the top of it.
    "I listen to the voice of the city- it is alive, it has a pulse, a rhythm, a hum. And I am able to read the life of the city through the cards. It was him.

I sought help from the Guard, but they turned me away. And so I asked around. I paid bribes. I consulted my Harrow deck for advice. And recently, I was rewarded—I found out where Gaedren dwells. He can be found in an old fishery north of here at Westpier 17, where he trains his abducted children to be pickpockets and counts his stolen treasures."
    Last edited by Grūmble; 2012-12-17 at 06:04 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Do you have any details about defenses at his base? I doubt he will let us through the front door without a fight. But I appreciate letting us know where he resides. It has been so long...
    Jeffa said with a smile.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Lialvia

The young elf sat in one of the chairs and listened to Zarella's tale. Her heart froze at the mention of Gaedren. She hated the man but remained silent to hear the other's words.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Tolvek gestures to her to get on with it. "If my sword is to come back into the fray, I need to make sure it isn't being misused. Elaborate."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

"I could not get very far in, but the old fishery is still in use. During the day Lamm has thugs working both as guards and mongers who buy the dross fisherman can't sell anywhere else. From what I know he has the children slaving away within the building. I can't imagine what it must be like for them..."
    Zarella looks at Jeffa as her voice trails off.

"I will point out the way but I can't face this man on my own, and the Korvosan Guard moves so slowly that if I were to go to them, Gaedren would certainly know of their coming well in advance. Even if they did arrest him—what guarantee would I have he would be punished? This criminal has evaded the law for decades. But you know of these frustrations as well, for word on the street has it that Gaedren has wronged each of you, too. So there we are. It is time for him to pay.

And I will help you as much as I can. A harrow reading will benefit you in the coming few months.”

Zarella waits for anymore questions before she lays the cards out and reads from them.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Lialvia

"I wonder what the children are doing there?" she mutters.

In a more confident voice she says, "I'll lend my magic to this cause. I have a sleeping spell readied."