New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Futuristic/Sci Fi Universe [Technology]

Hello, I'm working to comprise some concepts for a futuristic setting I'd like to fabricate. I'd like to create some concrete ideas for the technology available during this time. Just general technological advances, or specific ideas. Based on realistic scientific discoveries, or something entirely made up (but please have an explanation that makes sense). This is a chance to go all out and possibly bend or break some sci-fi cliches. I'd like the feeling of this universe to have the intergalactic connectivity of star wars or mass effect, the abundance of alien species like star trek or dr. who, and the technologically advanced societies like stargate or birdy the mighty.

Please keep in mind that magic has no place in this universe. However, technological or biological nuances that are incredibly complicated or alien could seem like magic.

Some ideas include:

Transportation: Personal aircrafts, biological crafts, movement suits, anti-grav boots, speed increasing suits, alien animal mounts, etc.

Weaponry: Cybernetic implants, alien symbiote implants, ai symbiote implants, weaponized suits, genetic alteration, body modification, cybernetic companion, etc.

Misc: Wireless energy towers, electromagnetic shields, etc.

Those are just a couple ideas, if you need any more information about the setting, just ask. The next post will have descriptions of a couple of things I've already thought of.

I'm the fast hero.

Spoiler
    Show
    Homebrew:
    The Witchknife: a Psionic-less Soulknife
    Warlock Invocations
    Characters
    Pathfinder
    Lenfrey Coyne, Ratfolk Sin Eater Inquisitor
    Mazer Mandrill, Gnome Saboteur Alchemist
    Ridley Rysewell, Half-Elf Carnivalist Rogue
    Star Wars Saga Edition
    Geoffrey Bears, Ryn Scoundrel

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Futuristic/Sci Fi Universe [Technology]

Here are some things I have:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dense Energy Constructs: particles are accelerated through a holographic infrastructure to create solidity. This can take the form of nearly anything including but not limited to armor, weapons and smaller vehicles. A special holographic projector creates a three dimensional blueprint of an object while a miniature particle-accelerator speeds up energies sent through this object's structure to make it tangible. For example, a person could carry around a handle to a gun, which contains both the projector and accelerator. The user then inserts a chip containing the object's parameters. The object (a gun in this case) would then be created from the handle.

Ship Sails: aid a spaceship or personal insterstellar vehicle through space without using as much fuel as traditional rockets. Ship sails are Dense Energy Constructs that resemble sails from seafaring vessels. They are ionized particles, that when agitated by solar radiation, create thrust. Electromagnetic Locks keep the thrust operating in the correct direction.

Electromagnetic Locks: these handy items can be used to manipulate electromagnetic waves in such a way that they can lock objects in a certain spacial arrangement. They are used in EM Gauntlets that allow the user to manipulate objects from afar like a handheld tractor beam. Also a set of eight will allow someone to lock the contents of a cubic space in their current arrangement, then being able to pick up the entire cube and transport it without worry of moving or breaking anything within.
    Last edited by Kydell; 2012-09-14 at 03:30 PM.

I'm the fast hero.

Spoiler
    Show
    Homebrew:
    Warlock Invocations
    Characters
    Pathfinder
    Star Wars Saga Edition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

How much future are we talking? Decades, centuries, or millennia?

Would it be more "like our world, but with X" or more something completely different.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4

Good question. I would like it to probably be a couple thousand years in the future. I haven't decided, honestly. I would like to allow good enough room for vast technological advances.

I'm the fast hero.

Spoiler
    Show
    Homebrew:
    Warlock Invocations
    Characters
    Pathfinder
    Star Wars Saga Edition

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

In the last 2000 years we have moved from iron age tech to space exploration, sub-atomic manipulation and genetic engineering (although selective breeding is a form of this, and we've done that for millennia). 2000 years offers PLENTY of scope!

Phase Modulation Field.
    A projected field which resonates matter encompassed by the field at high frequency. Frequency and modulation may be changed so as to find harmonic convergence with any given substance, allowing whatever is inside the field to pass through solid matter. Multiple applications possible, requires prodigious processing power to calculate matter frequencies and to modulate the field fast enough.

Zero Point Technology
    Essentially a 'pocket dimension'. Bending a small area of space/time in on itself to create an area of space which may be contained in only 2 dimensions. Allows for transport of large quantities of material in apparently small spaces. See the film Ultraviolet (I think that's it, crappy film, great idea).

Inertia Nullfield
    An EM projection which counters and nullifies the effect of the sub-atomic particles responsible for effecting mass, allowing anything within the projection to behave as if it holds zero inertia. Vital for FTL travel which involves just going really fast (instead of using wormholes, etc to travel a far shorter distance). Star Trek's inertial dampeners are an underwhelming version of this technology.

Photosynthetic Subdermal Implants (PSIs for short)
    Used for spacers, special forces and survivalists everywhere, this is a nanite technology which inserts working photosynthetic elements into the skin cells, allowing for long periods without sustenance, as long as there is air and sunlight. Often given to colonists to assist in the harsh years of early settlement and terraforming.
    All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.

My homebrews Moloques! Sagacious Defender of the Forge, The Open Palm, Sacred Scourge, The Bastion
    Co-Developer of the Mutant Powers Project:
    World Warper
    Telekineticist and ACFs, Feats, Shadow Hand PrC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Check out d20 modern for ideas, they have some nice stuff there.
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kydell View Post
    Good question. I would like it to probably be a couple thousand years in the future. I haven't decided, honestly. I would like to allow good enough room for vast technological advances.
    In that case go crazy with theoretically hypothized physical effects that physicists have only the slightest idea of yet..

Bring out all the death stars, teleportation devices, and quantum entanglement communicators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimsage Matt View Post
    Check out d20 modern for ideas, they have some nice stuff there.
    Future d20 SRD. Everything from Progress Level 8 or higher is fair game.
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-09-14 at 03:55 PM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying