New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mercenary Pen's Meticulously Planned Machine of Prose Random Banter #182

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Yha, it's the thought that counts in this situation
    Yeah, although it'll neither break my social deadlock nor grant me any waffles, so it feels a bit empty...

ION: FARC got Colombia. I make terrible death squads, although the government was arguably worse. The coca growers seemed way too complacent to even care about shipping their own wares. I think they just sat around with their neighbours and ate the stuff while being generally useless.[/gaming night]
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mercenary Pen's Meticulously Planned Machine of Prose Random Banter #182

Am I going to get shot if I don't even know who Pratchett is...? *dodges bullets*

Canada is where Stargate was done! I think... If so, go there! It's awesome! I've heard...

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

3. - Top - End - #483
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Yeah, although it'll neither break my social deadlock nor grant me any waffles, so it feels a bit empty...

ION: FARC got Colombia. I make terrible death squads, although the government was arguably worse. The coca growers seemed way too complacent to even care about shipping their own wares. I think they just sat around with their neighbours and ate the stuff while being generally useless.[/gaming night]
    Well, perhaps you could ask them for waffle time?

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always wanted to go to Sweden...

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Only just noticed that as of yesterday, new One Direction song. Squeeee! *conjures barrier to deflect hate*

Tonight let's get some! And live while we're young! Okay, maybe it doesn't have the best lyrics..

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    His life was over.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Well, perhaps you could ask them for waffle time?
    Yeah, then we're back to the whole deadlock thing I was talking about. If I just found it that easy...
    *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    I've always wanted to go to Sweden...
    It's kind of nice here. I like it a lot better than some places I don't like. Just make sure to visit at the right time. Early summer is probably the best you want to see stuff, while the winter is the best if you want snow.

Also, I'd make a terrible travel advisor.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

7. - Top - End - #487

Yeah, then we're back to the whole deadlock thing I was talking about. If I just found it that easy...
    *sigh*

It's kind of nice here. I like it a lot better than some places I don't like. Just make sure to visit at the right time. Early summer is probably the best you want to see stuff, while the winter is the best if you want snow.

Also, I'd make a terrible travel advisor.
    Yha, good point. *hugs* I wish you luck

8. - Top - End - #488
    Troll in the Playground

tongue Re: Mercenary Pen's Meticulously Planned Machine of Prose Random Banter #182

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Only just noticed that as of yesterday, new One Direction song. Squeeee! *conjures barrier to deflect hate*

Tonight let's get some! And live while we're young! Okay, maybe it doesn't have the best lyrics..
    *flings ALL of the hate at you*

BAHHHHHHHHH-D. Why post a link to something so earshattering? *cradles bleeding and broken ears, because they fell off*
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-09-20 at 05:16 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    *flings ALL of the hate at you*

BAHHHHHHHHH-D. Why post a link to something so earshattering? *cradles bleeding and broken ears, because they fell off*
    Oh come on m'dear, it isn't that bad!
    Last edited by Mynxae; 2012-09-20 at 05:46 PM.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Who knows anything about cars overheating? This is the third major incident with my Durango dumping all of its coolant everywhere.

I have had nearly everything in the system replaced (radiator, head gasket(s), probably all of the hoses at one point.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Am I going to get shot if I don't even know who Pratchett is...? *dodges bullets*
    That's... well. It's just a massive gap in your common knowledge. Sir Terry is one of the all-time bestselling UK authors in any genre and one of the most popular fantasy authors, if not the most popular, of the last twenty years.

Not to mention his charity campaigns which have also been very high profile.

The quality of the work, and whether it's to your taste, are broadly irrelevant - the name is just something that everyone should know, especially anyone involved in roleplaying or geek culture or whatever. His influence is colossal.

Also, he wrote an entire book about Australia.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    That's... well. It's just a massive gap in your common knowledge. Sir Terry is one of the all-time bestselling UK authors in any genre and one of the most popular fantasy authors, if not the most popular, of the last twenty years.

The quality of the work, and whether it's to your taste, are broadly irrelevant - the name is just something that everyone should know, especially anyone involved in roleplaying or geek culture or whatever. His influence is colossal.

Also, he wrote an entire book about Australia.
    Considering I love fantasy, this is surprising to me...

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Who knows anything about cars overheating? This is the third major incident with my Durango dumping all of its coolant everywhere.

I have had nearly everything in the system replaced (radiator, head gasket(s), probably all of the hoses at one point.)
    For things you haven't said you did:
    Last oil change?
    Have you bled all the air out of your coolant system?
    What condition is your fan belts in? Is your fan reliably working?

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Considering I love fantasy, this is surprising to me...
    Well, then, there's no time to lose!
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

15. - Top - End - #495

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Darn, I've never heard a peep about those.

Good luck Logic, hope you don't end up with any water damage from all that leakage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SweetRein View Post
    For things you haven't said you did:
    Last oil change?
    Have you bled all the air out of your coolant system?
    What condition is your fan belts in? Is your fan reliably working?
    Oil change: ~2-3 months ago, ~2200 miles ago
    Have I bled the air out recently? No. Not entirely sure how to do this (turn the car on with the radiator cap off, perhaps?)
    I have not looked at my fen belts in some time. Status: Unknown.
    Fan Working: Unknown

(I am not present at the vehicle at the moment, so I cannot get this information to you easily.)

And another thing that I think bears mentioning: My grandfather would be appalled that a lady knew more about cars than his grandson did. (In my defense, I fix airplanes! It's what I do!)

I am fine taking advice of (almost) any sort from nearly anyone.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #497

NecromancerGuy

Oil change: ~2-3 months ago, ~2200 miles ago
    Have I bled the air out recently? No. Not entirely sure how to do this (turn the car on with the radiator cap off, perhaps?)
    I have not looked at my fen belts in some time. Status: Unknown.
    Fan Working: Unknown

(I am not present at the vehicle at the moment, so I cannot get this information to you easily.)

And another thing that I think bears mentioning: My grandfather would be appalled that a lady knew more about cars than his grandson did. (In my defense, I fix airplanes! It's what I do!)

I am fine taking advice of (almost) any sort from nearly anyone.
    I couldn't tell you and I don't know if you'd be able to find DIY materials online that would be trustworthy enough for you to try it at home. I presume, this being the information age and all that you'd be able to find something out of all the dross and dreck that mucks about the place, but we all know what assuming does. Not really sure what all I could say if I did know though, given the nature of advice.

I must admit though, one thing that has always annoyed me about how I was raised was that I never really did get taught the kinds of hands-on, necessary low-level handyman skills by my father. Granted, I spent most of my childhood being too much of a bookworm and general loser to have thought to ask to learn at the time, given that I was more interested in how explosions work than how to properly join things together or take care of what any adult should be capable of doing with their car or in the kitchen.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In this model we get a coherent explanation for why, when all the forces of Evil are composed of a multitude
    of strange nightmarish creatures, and the forces of Good have everything from a glowing patch of light to a
    winged snake tailed woman, every single soldier in the army of Chaos is a giant frog. This is because in this
    model Limbo is a place that is totally insane. It’s a place where the answer to every question really is “Giant
    Frog”. Creatures of Chaos then proceed to go to non Chaotically-aligned planes and are disappointed and
    confused when doors have to be pushed and pulled to open and entrance cannot be achieved by “Giant Frog”.

I can not stop laughing at this.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In this model we get a coherent explanation for why, when all the forces of Evil are composed of a multitude
    of strange nightmarish creatures, and the forces of Good have everything from a glowing patch of light to a
    winged snake tailed woman, every single soldier in the army of Chaos is a giant frog. This is because in this
    model Limbo is a place that is totally insane. It’s a place where the answer to every question really is “Giant
    Frog”. Creatures of Chaos then proceed to go to non Chaotically-aligned planes and are disappointed and
    confused when doors have to be pushed and pulled to open and entrance cannot be achieved by “Giant Frog”.

That's hilarious! What's that from?
    A few odds and ends.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I couldn't tell you and I don't know if you'd be able to find DIY materials online that would be trustworthy enough for you to try it at home. I presume, this being the information age and all that you'd be able to find something out of all the dross and dreck that mucks about the place, but we all know what assuming does. Not really sure what all I could say if I did know though, given the nature of advice.

I must admit though, one thing that has always annoyed me about how I was raised was that I never really did get taught the kinds of hands-on, necessary low-level handyman skills by my father. Granted, I spent most of my childhood being too much of a bookworm and general loser to have thought to ask to learn at the time, given that I was more interested in how explosions work than how to properly join things together or take care of what any adult should be capable of doing with their car or in the kitchen.
    In response to your first paragraph: Experience beats a random Google search any day. I was hoping the playground had some experienced car mechanics or handy-men-persons.

I was lucky in the handy man skills I got, compared to my brother. I learned how to do every day home repairs, change my own oil, tires, fix a flat, put an egg in a radiator as a temp fix (not on this car, I swear) while my brother learned how to "shut up and hold the flashlight!"
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #501

NecromancerGuy

In response to your first paragraph: Experience beats a random Google search any day. I was hoping the playground had some experienced car mechanics or handy-men-persons.

I was lucky in the handy man skills I got, compared to my brother. I learned how to do every day home repairs, change my own oil, tires, fix a flat, put an egg in a radiator as a temp fix (not on this car, I swear) while my brother learned how to "shut up and hold the flashlight!"
    True that. I just like to expel a cloud of words like an ink defense.

I must admit, I hadn't heard of the egg in a radiator trick before. Now I've heard of people putting eggs on radiators before, but I think that was out of some misunderstanding of where one can cook an egg under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show

Gah. I remember reading this and it was hilarious. Where did you find this?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-09-20 at 08:38 PM.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, anytime is probably not going to happen until I get my hands on a flight certificate (which requires time and commitment) and a good long-range propeller plane with decent storage space (which requires a few millions on my bank account).
    Or you could go to any third world country (waves flags) and get your license with a lot less effort, last time I checked it was only a number of written tests, 40 hours of flight time, the 10 hour solo time and the examination.

As for price... you can get as low as 50$ thousands which is around the price of mid-high range SUV or twice the cost of a Mini Cooper Salt (at least where I live). The Piper PA-23 250, or the Cessna 402 both are around that price range if you know where to look and both should be able to cross the Atlantic if you look for the smallest possible water leg on the Northern Route (though the reason for such a low price probably would imply that it shouldn't be used for such a trip). Even then, you can probably split the payment of the plane on parts or split it along with other aviation enthusiasts willing to share the plane and maintenance costs, in which case you could look for something slightly better at a slightly higher price.

Alternatively steal the Spirit of St. Louis.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-09-20 at 08:43 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

*cries*

I live in an absolute pigsty, and I'm fed up of it. My housemates don't seem to care that the house is filthy and I can't manage the effort to keep it clean on my own.

It was really brought home to me how little they care today, when I wanted to wipe the table (which was absolutely filthy, all sorts of debris on it) before dinner, and they not only didn't feel the need to, they honestly didn't seem to understand why I did. They said it didn't matter what the table was like because the plates were clean.

I don't even. How can they live like that?
    Last edited by Heliomance; 2012-09-20 at 08:47 PM.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    That's hilarious! What's that from?
    From Frank and K's Tome handbooks.
    Link
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

25. - Top - End - #505

NecromancerGuy

Oh, Cessnas. My dad still occasionally regurgitates jokes about nuclear-tipped cessnas from the 80s.

Helio: I'm sorry to hear that. I think part of it is that from growing up with lax habits and being inured to a bit of grime on non-essential surfaces and then there's the weird bit that comes from being in university and buying into some kind of cultural value that they can wait until they get older to be conscientious about such things. But there's a big blank as to the lion's share of where such things come from, even with those two potential sources for partially accounting for nurture. I've no idea what, if any, role nature plays here.

I'm currently dealing with trying to keep the place neat despite two people who are essentially invalids, another person who actively avoids staying here because it's messy and the idea of cleaning overwhelms her psyche or she overexerts herself getting one room halfway clean in a mad rush and then has to recover from the psychic trauma, and myself.

And order and organization have never been my strong suit.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    *cries*

I live in an absolute pigsty, and I'm fed up of it. My housemates don't seem to care that the house is filthy and I can't manage the effort to keep it clean on my own.

It was really brought home to me how little they care today, when I wanted to wipe the table (which was absolutely filthy, all sorts of debris on it) and they not only didn't feel the need to, they honestly didn't seem to understand why I did. They said it didn't matter what the table was like because the plates were clean.

You could scare them by purchasing domesticated rats and seeing them panic to clean it all up.

Or maybe not since they could decide they are wonderful pets (which they are).

Try setting a bins system, just have bins everywhere, it's easier to take out trash then have to permanently collect it. Or get an incinerator, they'll throw trash on it if only for the amusement of seeing stuff burn.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

*cries*

It was really brought home to me how little they care today, when I wanted to wipe the table (which was absolutely filthy, all sorts of debris on it) before dinner, and they not only didn't feel the need to, they honestly didn't seem to understand why I did. They said it didn't matter what the table was like because the plates were clean.

I'd say sit them down and give them a good talk on how bad it is, especially hygiene-wise. I am in a predicament slightly better than this, but not by much. But then, my roommates have been very stressed (complicated, long story) so I don't mind it as much.

Living with my Dad and stepmum for a few years really beats the 'dirty-ness' out of you... Seeing as my Dad is a neat freak (to a degree) and my stepmum works as a cleaner, yeah... I'd get yelled at just because I had maybe a sock on the floor.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Bugbear in the Playground

*cries*

My sister's roommate refuses to throw out expired food until it has been tried and found rancid. I once ate some of her yogurt that was 5 weeks past its expiration date. Point is, people can live pretty much any way you can think of if they're lazy enough.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    My sister's roommate refuses to throw out expired food until it has been tried and found rancid. I once ate some of her yogurt that was 5 weeks past its expiration date. Point is, people can live pretty much any way you can think of if they're lazy enough.
    Dimonite is sadly correct. Though here it's not really the same... Instead my roommates will leave perishables (milk for example) out for a day or two when I'm not home, it'll either go off, or will in a few days and just, urgh.. They always do it when I go away for a few days.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

You know... I got a similar education concerning car repair to your brother, except without being told to stop talking. But then... I'm just naturally quiet.

All in all, I make a great assistant when it comes to mechanical matters, otherwise, I'm mostly useless.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!