New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mercenary Pen's Meticulously Planned Machine of Prose Random Banter #182

I, too, hug the Teddy, and wish fat budgies on his shoulder to dissolve his shame and calm his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    We actually saw surprisingly few birds... Mostly crows and magpies.
    Though we did see a brush turkey and a couple of goannas.

If you ever visit our wonderful country, I shall have to persuade my Mum to take us driving in the country. Just so you can experience the vastness of the wilderness. Even though it's actually not wilderness, as attested by the cows and fences that have likely stood for fifty years judging from how grey the fence posts have become.
    Lots of fires this time of year however. But it needs to be done, because otherwise huge bushfires would result from all the dry grass. Which is actually rather picturesque.
    Looking out across hills covered in gray.
    It's very nice.
    You and Serpentine both tease me with names of creatures I've never heard which I then look up, and crave a wildlife tour of your country. In my mind all of the animals will cuddle and frolic with me like in a Disney movie.

Although Canada and Australia will be similar in that respect -- we too have vast open spaces of both the wild and cultivated variety with sun-bleached fences and droopy centenarian barns. Not to say that Australia wouldn't be unique in its own ways, of course -- I would love to take such a drive with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    I misunderstood, snails are mollusks, so I thought you meant you didn't like them. >.<

Ok, ok, I'm going! D=

...how long does it take to walk to Canada? >.>
    I should dearly hope you know, Cobra, that if you visit Canada without at least a brief glass of wine with me, I shall be quite cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    I have no problem with sausage, and I've always wanted to try haggis, but I find fungus unbearably disgusting for some reason. I mean, by definition it grew from rot and decay...

Also: *hugs Teddy*
    There is something magical about the way that it transforms that rot and decay, though. Its sublime body rises out of death bearing beauty, wisdom, or nourishment. To me it is a metaphor much like the Indian lotus that floats perfect and beautiful atop muddy waters, arising from them but unpolluted.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Mercenary Pen's Meticulously Planned Machine of Prose Random Banter #182

Ah, yes, I forgot!

HUGS TEDDY!

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ettin in the Playground

Of course, if I *really* felt like grossing Dimonite out, I'd point out that mushrooms are merely the reproductive organs of a considerably larger organism that can stretch for up to 2 or 3 kilometres below the soil.

So when you're eating a mushroom, you're actually eating the equivalent of (end of sentence redacted).

*Also joins in the Teddy Hugfest*
    Last edited by The Succubus; 2012-09-24 at 10:17 AM.

4. - Top - End - #964

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    I am seriously loving university guys!
    Enjoy yourself while you're there--you probably have more freedom and less responsibilities at uni than you will have at any other time in your life!

5. - Top - End - #965

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Of course, if I *really* felt like grossing Dimonite out, I'd point out that mushrooms are merely the reproductive organs of a considerably larger organism that can stretch for up to 2 or 3 kilometres below the soil.

So when you're eating a mushroom, you're actually eating the equivalent of (end of sentence redacted).

Well, let's be fair, it's what they look like

I don't like mushrooms either, so I'm allowed to say that.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

This is one of those sentences that illustrates the importance of commas.

Mmmmm... interkingdom loving.

Mushroom hunting is one of those things I love the idea of and wish I had the time to pursue. An Italian grocer around the corner from me has local wild mushrooms for sale all the time. They're so neat.

I have never, however, tasted the elusive truffle. Has anyone here had the [dis]pleasure?

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

I love the mushroom.

It's a wonderfully versatile ingredient and there's so many different varieties as well. Portabellos make for a good starter, porcinis make a great stock mushroom, there's oyster mushrooms for stir-fries. There's far more textures and flavours than the usual boring white chestnut sorts.

I know that you can get truffles in England but they are extraordinarily rare. A few shaved flakes on top of scrambled eggs and a few other secret ingredients tastes wonderfully nutty.

I got a River Cottage book that serves partly as a mycology guide and recipe book. I don't feel brave enough to go and pick my own though.
    Last edited by The Succubus; 2012-09-24 at 10:29 AM.

8. - Top - End - #968

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post

Mushroom hunting is one of those things I love the idea of and wish I had the time to pursue. An Italian grocer around the corner from me has local wild mushrooms for sale all the time. They're so neat.

I have never, however, tasted the elusive truffle. Has anyone here had the [dis]pleasure?
    Wait wait, you get your mushrooms from an italian?

Here we go

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

I love the mushroom.

It's a wonderfully versatile ingredient and there's so many different varieties as well. Portabellos make for a good starter, porcinis make a great stock mushroom, there's oyster mushrooms for stir-fries. There's far more textures and flavours than the usual boring white chestnut sorts.

I know that you can get truffles in England but they are extraordinarily rare. A few shaved flakes on top of scrambled eggs and a few other secret ingredients tastes wonderfully nutty.

I got a River Cottage book that serves partly as a mycology guide and recipe book. I don't feel brave enough to go and pick my own though.
    I know, right?! Painful poisonous drawn-out death awaits in every bite. But there are a few that seem easy to identify without any evil twins -- I see sulphur shelf occasionally during nature romps that I keep meaning to try.

Are your truffles actually harvested in England, or imported? If they're imported, it might give me hope of finding one here because I'm almost certain they don't grow in the New World.

edit Oh. Apparently they do. To the market!

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Wait wait, you get your mushrooms from an italian?

Here we go
    Italians have the best mushrooms
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-09-24 at 10:53 AM.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll dig up the book this evening and put the details up for you but I believe they are native English truffles.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

I've had truffle oil, which is a nice flavouring. Don't know if it's the same though

12. - Top - End - #972
    Bugbear in the Playground

I knew that, I just wasn't going to mention it because I didn't feel like squicking out people who previously enjoyed mushrooms.

DAMMIT I LOST THE GAME. A friend of mine made me associate the word "truffles" with the game.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

I've found most mushrooms to be relatively tasteless.
    Truffles included.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

And you were worried...

I'm glad you like it! It's a lot of fun. Gone to any parties yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic_Comedian View Post
    And you were worried...

I'm glad you like it! It's a lot of fun. Gone to any parties yet?
    My concerns were totally valid and rational

I've been on nights out, but not parties as such.
    I've somehow ended up with a busy social life, I'm going to SciFi society tonight, playing board games at a local gaming shop tomorrow, going to [no politics on the boards] on Wednesday, planning to learn Magic: the Gathering on Friday, and GameSoc runs 2 til 10 on Sunday.
    I've genuinely never had this much to do before.
    And next weekend I'm going to London to see my girlfriend

I may not have really made 'friends' yet, but I'm on good terms with my flatmates, and I had a whole conversation with a guy from my course today.

Life is good

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

Ughn, tough day today. I was woken up by my alarm clock, accidently turned off the alarm in my soporific haze and fell back to sleep for another two and a half hours. And it wasn't an especially restful sleep either. Despite getting almost 9 hours of it, all in all, I've still spent most of the day being dead tired. I even skipped the 3 hour lab at the start of the day to not overexert myself (I love uni for letting you do something like this). Also, I think I'm coming down with a cold.

Good thing is, however, that I've managed to complete my next programming assignment up to the point where it compiles. I need to finish it by Wednesday, because even though it is for Friday, I'd wish to take that day off so that I can go on a short trip to our summer house with my family over the weekend. Now I'll only have to test and debug it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    If that was an apology for the earlier hoo-ha, then it is accepted. Also, you have my apologies for causing any distress - as I've already mentioned, nothing I said was to tell you off for anything. It was a friendly academic discussion, an attempt to find common ground, and an attempt to explain where things went wrong.
    Yes, it was. It also was a pre-emptive apology for any eventual accidental accusations in the lines just above it, you know, this insecurity thing I usually don't engage in.

Also, apology accepted.

Also: *hugs Teddy*
    I, too, hug the Teddy, and wish fat budgies on his shoulder to dissolve his shame and calm his heart.
    Ah, yes, I forgot!

HUGS TEDDY!
    Thank you all. It's really heartwarming.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

17. - Top - End - #977

You're my little teddy bear, Teddy. I always treat my plushy friends well (just ask my Hush Puppy puppet from babyhood, who's still in as perfect condition as he can be).

By this I mean you're one of my best friends.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

You're my little teddy bear, Teddy. I always treat my plushy friends well (just ask my Hush Puppy puppet from babyhood, who's still in as perfect condition as he can be).

By this I mean you're one of my best friends.
    But plushies are supposed to be loved until they almost fall apart, and then granted a place of honour on your shelf of retired cuddle toys.

Also, thanks.

Show

19. - Top - End - #979

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    But plushies are supposed to be loved until they almost fall apart, and then granted a place of honour on your shelf of retired cuddle toys.

Also, thanks.
    Well, to clarify, the HP on his shirt has been worn off, and both his ears are gone. Is that worn enough for you

In all seriousness though, I'm just different that way. I treated my things with care and elegence.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

Well, to clarify, the HP on his shirt has been worn off, and both his ears are gone. Is that worn enough for you

In all seriousness though, I'm just different that way. I treated my things with care and elegence.
    Yeah, for as long as you didn't rip the ears off, that's good enough for me. That said, it takes a while to actually wear down a plushie to the point where you have to put it on the shelf in order to secure it's continued existence. I've only ever had to do it with one of my favourites through the ages...

The little brother of a friend of mine, who also is a friend and former classmate of little brother, had a favourite plushy who he kept so long that I could swear on there being more stuffing visible than there was cloth left on it.

Show

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ogre in the Playground

When toys are loved until they fall apart, they become real and jump out the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

I knew that, I just wasn't going to mention it because I didn't feel like squicking out people who previously enjoyed mushrooms.

DAMMIT I LOST THE GAME. A friend of mine made me associate the word "truffles" with the game.
    You poor bastard. Truffles.

Abstracting the nature of food objects in that way never squicks me, even fungus genitals that tell me to go ask Alice. To me, all food sounds equally strange in abstraction. I have come to terms with being an alien from Earth and the weird details of the sustaining pleasures to which our kind of flesh is subject.

I've had truffle oil, which is a nice flavouring. Don't know if it's the same though
    That I, too, have tasted in dishes. I'd really like to experience truffles more directly, such as the eggs with shaved truffles that Succubussy mentioned.

Also, thanks.
    I still sleep with my teddy ;_____;
    Does that make me less of a man

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

If I'm anything of a man, then no, not at all. You know that pink plush hippo in the first picture I posted of myself? I can barely sleep at all if she isn't with me, and I have a whole heap of other animals lying next to my pillow in the bed. I mean, give me one reason for why they shouldn't be there.

Speaking about pictures, the bunker pictures are up in the You thread, now with a drastically lowered frequency of me.

Show

24. - Top - End - #984

Of course you're still a man! To be a man is to simply be manly! Having compassion for things in your past is manly!

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    I've found most mushrooms to be relatively tasteless.
    Truffles included.
    Truffles should have a strong, almost overpowering smell, although if divorced from the nose their taste is sometimes pretty negligible.

If you haven't been able to taste or smell truffles at all, perhaps the problem is with old truffles. They lose their smell and taste very quickly.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Truffles should have a strong, almost overpowering smell, although if divorced from the nose their taste is sometimes pretty negligible.

If you haven't been able to taste or smell truffles at all, perhaps the problem is with old truffles. They lose their smell and taste very quickly.
    I have a very weak sense of smell, so that might be it.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    I misunderstood, snails are mollusks, so I thought you meant you didn't like them. >.<

Ok, ok, I'm going! D=

...how long does it take to walk to Canada? >.>
    Nah, exception. It's mainly seafood that are a problem for me, taste-wise.

From where I am, about two days.

I'll see to it in the evening. There won't be much of me in the pictures, however. For some reason, I was very rarely caught on film during that trip.

Also, I'm fine.

Sorry.
    DAMNATIONS!

Good! Beucase I'd hate to stop showing appreciation.

<hugs to pieces>

I've heard of eating snails before, I'm just astounded that people do it. It just sounds so gross
    What makes it different from other meats?

It's quite alright. Still though, the slimy texture of the snail would instantly put me off.
    They're hardly slimy when you eat them. Very buttery, but not slimy. They secrete that when they're alive, y'know.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #988
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    They're hardly slimy when you eat them. Very buttery, but not slimy. They secrete that when they're alive, y'know.
    STILL A SNAIL! (Look at that S Car GO! /cackle at old arthur joke)
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    STILL A SNAIL! (Look at that S Car GO! /cackle at old arthur joke)
    /chuckles S Car GO xDDD

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Nah, exception. It's mainly seafood that are a problem for me, taste-wise.

From where I am, about two days.
    Ah. I know it's a 63 hour drive to visit Lala from here, part of which involves a ferry. And a 3 hour drive followed by three flights totalling about 10 hours, with another 10 hours in layovers, if I want to fly there. *nodnod*

...still gonna show up there the instant she has a place of her own and glomp her to death.
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.