Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Dungeonworkd: My Stupid Gonzo Setting Concept

Yeah, I've been hemming and hawing about this setting idea bouncing around in my head for quite some time now. So before I crap up any other topics with it and start becoming That Guy like I have on so many other forums, I'll just make my own topic on it.

I call the setting Dungeonworld because, well, it's a world that is one giant dungeon. But apparently somebodys already using that name, so if you prefer, you can call the setting "Underground" after the Tom Waits song. Ill give some of the core setting assumptions to start off with.

The World is A Dungeon: Hence the title. The word is one giant dungeon, and it is actually semi-sentient. Traps naturally grow from its walls (Which are sometimes "miked" by those inhabitants of smaller villages for such resources as stone and acid), holes in its walls heal (Unless they're cut in a specific way that make it clear they're supposed to be permanent passages rather than temporary shortcuts), lots of monsters roam , and there are chambers big enough to hold entire villages, with a few being big enough (Or at least modified to be big enough) to hold huge metropoli in.

Monsters are People Too: Unlike the other settings (Except for Eberron), the Monstrous races are treated like all the other races, with some being good, some being evil and some being in-between rather than them being mostly evil. They also have quite a few different roles from what they normally have, such as Goblins being excellent merchants, Kobolds being the grumpy gadgeteer race, Gnolls being a race of domineering female warriors and somewhat whipped male necromancers, Bugbears being wandering warrior-monk-poets, Drow being fancy-pants beverage makers with a friendship with the Ettercap race, and so-on. The few monster races that are mostly evil (Like the decadent Rome-inspired Minotaurs and the Nazi-ish Hobgoblins) are that way because of a broken society rather than some innate cruelty on their part.

Regular Races are Weird Too: There are a lot of classic races in new roles in-setting as well. Elves are master chefs among whom arrogance is treated as an obstacle to true perfection, Dwarves are inspired by Dwarf Fortress in their physics-breaking engineering expertise and their boisterous brand of insanity, Thri-Keen are lovable trickster-hoboes who are implied to have one had a great empire which they willingly left behind when they saw themselves growing decadent and mad (Ala Castle in the Sky), Warforged are the legacy of the thri-Keen's implied empire, Changelings have a culture heavily 4chan inspired, and so on. Some of the classic races are evil, like the Gnomes being insane worshipers of elemental earth waiting for their horrible "King" (Think the Nome King from Return to Oz) and 4e-type Devas combining the worst aspects of European Aristocrats and 19th century robber barons.

Gods Are Deified Via Worship: Yep, deities of this setting run on Discworld rules. The more worship something gets, the more powerful it becoems. This leads to a variety of bizarre gods such as a collective of infinite energy-giving mini-suns (Which is how I explain how the ecosystem gains energy) that roughly take on the role of Pelor in-setting, a sentient Dwarven fortress, two sentient sets of artifacts (One good one evil), a sentient door guarding a prison holding many; many horrible monsters, a giant sacrificial altar, a big-ass sentient mushroom, sentient Hobgoblin-centric Naziism, the costumed identity of Dungeonworld's equivalent to V from V for Vendetta, the list goes on.

The Surface is Mysterious and Unknown: But it's not the literal "surface" of the Dungeonworld. The literal surface would be the enormous brick surface of the dungeon above the crystal-clockwork city of the Modrons/Inevitables on the inside of the Crystal Shere leading to the Multiverse of Spelljammer. The mysterious surface of Dungeonworld is actually a bizarre platonic idea of enlightenment, because what Dungeonworld itself is supposed to be is the platonic ideal of the The Dungeon, the Ur-Dungeon all dungeons are unconsciously modeled after. Nobody knows what the surface is like, as it remains unrevealed ala the origins of The Lady of Pain or the nature of Ravenloft's Dark Powers.

Schizo-Tech is the Norm- While they don't have guns yet and internal combustion engines are only just beginning to be experimented with (The trick is finding a biodegradable fuel that doesn't leave toxins in the enclosed air), there is quite a bit of clockwork used (Though days themselves are measured by one's circadian rhythms in the absence of a setting and rising sun.) and photography has been around for quite a while (Inspired by Zelda), long enough that they've recently invented the movie camera, and there's a renaissance in silent movie production at the moment in setting. There's also mass production, which has been put into somewhat benign use in some large cities, but is most commonly used by the Deva in their cities, combining it with magic to create a horrible system of work that makes the term "Wage slavery" disturbingly literal.

Really, Really Gonzo-: This was kinda obvious from the start, but there's a lot of weirdness to go around, from a lake of acid that doubles as a zone of parley (Because if you fight on there, you get knocked into the acid by the ethereal beings that live there), to a great bioluminescent mushroom forest, to a pit strung about with living, growing metallic wire that people hang dwellings on and zipline on to get around, to the ruins of an entire kingdom for which the origins of half the creatures there can be summed up with A Wizard Did It, this is an odd setting by design, more akin to Spelljammer and Gamma World than The Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk.

But It Does Have Its Dark Spots: There is a fair amount of dark stuff in the setting to accompany the goofy gonzo fun. For example, the Devils are pretty much an evil version of the catholic church obsessed with eliminating free will and hope, with the Archdevils as Cardinals and Asmodeus himself as a gigantic, hateful cathedral dedicated to evil. Demons live o na series of floating islands made from copies of the ruins of destroyed civilizations from throughout the multiverse (IE, Matzica, Nerath, Cyre, The Regiar's Home Planet, ect.) and are a very smart "Humanity will eat itself after one bad day" kind of Chaotic Evil. There's also an enormous being at the deepest depths of the Midnight Sea (Think the Dee Sea abyss in our world but bigger) that drove the entire Kuo-Toa civilization insane fr reasons known only to itself. The evil civilizations have committed numerous atrocities, from the Minotaurs searing their Ormyrr slaves' wings off to the Hobgoblins turning what used to be the halfling race into grub/cow/ape-like monstrosities which they secretly use as livestock. Even the Yuan-Ti, who are good guys in this setting, commit horrifying acts of self-mutilation to keep an abomination that would make Tharazidun pee his pants in fear sealed at the heart of Dungeonworld.

And that's it for the core assumptions of the settings. Phew, that was a long post. Hopefully it wasn't TL/DR for ya. So, feel free to ask me questions about this setting, and I'll do some posts exploring things about it in more detail as time goes on.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeonworkd: My Stupid Gonzo Setting Concept

Sounds like fun. What system are you planning to use? That'll affect some of the assumptions of the setting.

Also, are the players from Dungeonworld, or is there a mechanism that dumps people into the place? How did it develop?
    Patchwork Magisters - Volume III is now available! You know, if you like that sort of thing.

Which you do.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I'm planning on using D&D 5e when it comes out, and the players are expected to be Dungeonworld natives.

I got the idea from a little blurb in the 4e DMG about the idea of dungeons becoming spontaneously created from the earth due to a dead primordial being buried there, and the idea snowballed from there.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I once had a similiar idea. Players would start in a tavern, and opening the door out leads to a hallway...

Eventually, they have to adapt to their new homes with the patrons of the bar.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Huh. Now I'm thinking how awesome it'd be to have an area of the 9 Hells based on No Exit.

So, does anybody have any questions about the setting or have any request for what they'd like to see detailed first?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I bookmarked the thread. Awesome idea.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Well, let's start off with the big three non-human (As humans are the same 'ol jack-of-all-trades go-getters that they are in other settings) races of the setting: The Elves, Dwarves and Thri-Keen.

Elves- Dungeonworld's elves are... different. They're essentially the greatest chefs in the setting, able to make delicious dishes with magical effects. They can make such great foodstuffs as barbecue so hearty and juicy that you can take out a ogre in one punch after eating it, or mint ice cream so deliciously cool that no cold can harm you for a while (And yes, these sorts of things would be usable consumable items by the PCs). Their patron god is a giant (IE, the size of a large mansion) cooking pot that's been around since the first chefs amongst their race, and which can change into any sort of cooking apparatus (Like a pressure cooker, skillet, grill, and so on) and speaks to its people through a metal elven face that remains on its surface in all its forms. It resides in their capital city, which is a enormous hybrid of a farm and a culinary bazaar, studded with elven restaurants and with a great experimental kitchen containing said pot god at the city's center.

While some of them are arrogant about their cooking ability, the best amongst them get that way from being willing to learn from the cooking techniques of the other races and improve upon them. They even have a phrase, "Arrogance is the enemy of perfection." They also get along with the Drow (Who are likable fancy-pants beverage makers with a love of spiders and an alliance with the Ettercap that I'll be talking about later) pretty well, since Drow here are more elves who evolved in a different environment rather than Elves who joined up with an evil spider-monster-goddess.

I created these guys like this because I was both sick of Mary Sue holier-than-thou elves ala Eragon and the Complete Book of Elves that Dorchadas is currently MST-ing, but I'm also sick of the intentionally dickish elves meant to parody the former elves, and I wanted to create elves that were awesome but not Mary Sue-ish. And I will not lie, I was a bit influenced by the Keebler elves. So sue me.

The Grey Elves/Eladrin on the other hand, they're the ones who run the Dungeonworld Feywild, which is heavily based on Las Vegas (Both because of their emphasis on trickery, glitz, glamour and illusions), and it's implied that the normal elves were once their servants/chefs to. They're quite glamorous and charming, but also kinda sleazy, though it varies between lovably sleazy (Chaotic Good) and disgustingly sleazy (Neutral Evil) A lot of the Fey creatures do occupy revised roles for Vegas, such as the Cyclopses as bouncers and banshirae as dealers of stolen goods.

Dwarves: They are weird too, in that they're based on Dwarf Fortress. This mostly manifests in their love of big physics-raping engineering projects (Especially those involving lava) and their insanely boisterous disregard for their own lives, which weirdly makes they somewhat similar to tinker gnomes. The live on this lava-based river system with lots of little Dwarven Fortresses that sail on the lava rivers, covered in Lava-shooting canons (ala Project $%&# The World), and with lots of physics-breaking internal archetecture (Nicknamed by residents of Dungeonworld as "Dwarven physics"). They do have a love for the insanely ambitious projects, including building fully-functioning fortresses in the series of islands the Demons live on, building a city you cannot enter unless you've gotten very, very lost and building a hanging fortress at the center of the pit of living wire supported by only 1 wire.

They're also suicidally boisterous, training infants for battle by throwing them in pits with wild dogs and using them as blugeons (Both of which most dwarven infants survive) and still fighting even when they're on fire. They also have loads of creatures trying to kill them in their area, including lava-dwelling carp (Who sometimes spontaneously re-animate as zombies after death), giant lava sponges which exude dwarf-attracting pheromones and can smash a dwarf to pieces with its surprisingly strong body, dire mosquito swarms and giant badgers. The giant badgers actually loathe the dwarves despite being unintelligent, due to the primal spirits being disgusted by one very creepy dwarven group's "Engineering project" that created the Wildren race (And yes, they do have the same origin as in the planar handbook, just without the badgers being celestial to add an extra ew factor). They're also responsible for the Luck Eater due to their irresponsible hoarding of cats (Sometimes for pets, sometimes for meat), which has collapsed many a dwarven fortress into the Lava.

The Duegar of Dungeonworld hate the Dwarves not because they're evil (Indeed, they're a good bit more sane than the dwarves, being devout, quiet worshippers of fire and lava), but because they think the Dwarves are crazy and a danger to themselves and others.

Their god is an enormous ancestral fortress who is just as crazy as its creators, laded to the brim with physics-molesting structures and giant-ass lava cannons.

Thri-Keen- Yes, the bug people are a prominent race in-setting. They're basically a big 'ol race of wandering hoboes, who travel light and get most of their resources from theft,though the good and sometimes neutral ones do have a code about it which includes "Don't steal from anyone who can't afford it" and "If somebody does you a favor, don't steal from them." They actually do have some surprisingly advanced stuff built out of garbage, like portable; foldable shacks which they use as their primary dwellings and their Blindlesticks-of-holding.

This does provide credence to the idea that they're the remnants of one of the greatest civilizations of Dungeonworld, known only as the Bright Civilization, which most people refuse to believe because they can't buy that these schmucks could have run a super-civilization. But they do know far more than a race of hoboes should about the civilization, which they can talk about at length if asked about it, and they never do tell how they know it.

It's also implied that they voluntarily abandoned their civilization willingly after an atrocity filled war with the formerly highly advanced Kuo-Toa which ended in the Kuo-Toa all going mad due to implied contact with the progenitor of all the Aboleths (Euphemistically named Old Grandfather)in the Midnight Sea. They saw that they were growing mad and decadent as a civilization, with the last straw after one of the members of the ruling council committed a heinous act (Which I have yet to come up with), and they abandoned it, leaving the Warforged to carry on their civilization's memory. Yes, this was inspired by Miyazaki's Castle In The Sky, why do you ask?

They're also responsible for the origin of the Shardminds, but we'll cover that later.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I might as well talk about the two most iconic D&D Monsters, the Dragon and the Beholder, and their role in Dungeonworld.

Dragons- First off, Chromatic Dragons are the default type of dragon in Dungeonworld, but thankfully for everyone most of them have the "evil" descriptor in their alignment replaced with "neutral" (IE, red and white dragons are chaotic neutral, blue dragons are lawful neutral, ect.). They're not really malicious, but they don't give two craps about what anyone else thinks unless you're powerful enough to be noticed. They do little except for to make themselves cushy and comfortable, but they are fickle creatures of whim, and woe be to anybody who gets in their way hen they want something.

They also created Kobolds (who escaped and turned to gadgeteering to survive, inspired by the great City of Traps) and Dragonborn (Who also escaped and became communists, albeit with democratic elections and som tweaks to fix the problems inherent in communism) as servitor races, though they didn't think it was that big a deal when they left (They did fight a war against the two races, but eventually got bored and gave up even though they were winning).

Metallic dragons in-setting are chromatic dragons who dedicated themselves to a higher cause. They can be really good like your typical metallic dragon in other settings, but they can also be really evil, or devoted to their cause to a disturbingly alien degree. Which chromatics become which metallics are roughly as follows:

Red Dragon->Gold Dragon
    White Dragon->Silver Dragon
    Black Dragon-> Adamantine Dragon
    Blue Dragon-> Bronze Dragon
    Green Dragon-> Copper Dragon
    Brown Dragon-> Orium Dragon
    Purple Dragon->Mercury Dragon
    Grey Dragon-> Cobalt Dragon

Tiamat is their god, but she's chaotic neutral rather than chaotic evil and can be fickle and blunt, though she does give her blessings to those whom she finds sufficiently powerful and interesting.

Gem dragons are actually sentient crystals that just assume dragonlike forms and have a love of arcane research, and oriental dragons are just Primal Spirits (Of the 4e kind) who have taken on fleshy, dragonlike forms.

Beholders: They have the classic xenophobia, but in a very different way. They hold no real malice towards each other, and even are somewhat regretful of killing each other. But they believe that it is their duty as a race to try and kill off all other beholders (Not helped by the fact that mineral "eggs" constantly appear over Dungeonworld to produce new beholders) until there is only one left standing to prove itself best amongst its race and get a truly great final reward (Though there is evidence that this may be a hoax on the part of the Beholder's creator, The Great Mother, for some sinister purpose). They confirm their (Or their cronies) kills by consuming their opponent's central eye, which causes a large surge of energy and wind in their general vicinity.

If you're still too dense to get what this is a riff on this should illuminate things for you.

They're evil mainly because they tend to manipulate large populations of other races in their plans to wipe out their competiton, not caring if they live or die. There are those who don't buy into the game, calling themselves Spectators because they've retracted from the action to just watch, and for some strange reason their physical form changes as a result. The Eyes of the Deep just stay in the Midnight Sea and wait for the other Beholders to kill themselves off so they can win the game by default.

Also, should I split up my later posts into smaller chunks, as I'm guessing that the reason this topic isn't getting many replies due to the TL/DR problem?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

If you're using 4e, this post at the angrydm might be worth looking into.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Ah. While that does seem like an awesome resource for DMs, trouble with it is that it's made for megadungeons like, say, the size of a city or two. Dungeonworld, on the other hand, is a dungeon bigger than Toril or Oerth. I'm not sure how well it would scale.

Also, I plan to keep how the areas of the setting fit together vague, with only the most important parts really being so that DMs can feel free to add their own homebrew areas to the setting and avoid the too-mapped-out-to-add-your-own-stuff problem that Forgotten Realms is know for (At least, according to what I know).

And as for edition, I plan to use 5th when it comes out to make it up-to-date, but I also want to use a lot of ideas from other editions. For example, the Minotaur civilization's Ormyrr slaves (Which I'll talk more about later) take a lot from the really sympathetic 2e description where what they want to do most is fly, played for tragedy of course.

And those undead less-xenophobic Spelljammer beholders (which I really need to edit into my Beholder profile) would play a big role in the whole HIGHLANDER WITH EYEBALL MONSTERS thing. One Demon lord (who I might do in more detail in my next post if you guys want me to) is actually based on the stupidest possible results from the Lower Planes Creature Generation table from the 1e DMG (It has a fanged pelican's head with moose antlers for one)

I'd like to bring back those races that didn't make the cut when going from 3e and earlier to 4e, like Slyths (Basically ooze people from the Underdark book), Unbodied (Giant disembodied psychic brains with a +4 level adjustment, which I'd change for the new version), Dromites (Small psychic ant people) and Hadozee (FLYING MONKEYS YOU GUISE) amongst others. But I don't quite know what sort of role they'd play in setting. any help with that guys?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there an "Outside" to Dungeonworld, as in, places that open out to the actual sky? Or are there just large artificially created spaces like in The Truman Show?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

Quote Resume:
    Spoiler
    Show

"For your astounding work in the field of punnery, you have been awarded one (1) internet." -Lix Lorn
    "Truly, there is nothing more terrifying than a DM with a sense of humour." -The Succubus
    "No pretty sure he thinks he's Digo Dragon." -Pinkie Pie
    "Digo, you're a liar and a scoundrel." -NeroGrimm

Custom Avatar by me - My OC Changeling, Zeeps!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Sort of both, and a bit more.

The actual cities of Dungeonworld are in gigantic chambers in Dungeonworld, sometimes cleared out artificially, but more often than not they're just really big chambers that naturally occur in Dungeonworld. Hell, one of them's big enough to contain an entire abandoned battlefield and a large section of the main nautical body of Dungeonworld, the Midnight Sea (Which, as you can tell by my repeated mentions of it, is pretty important in-setting).

The literal "Outside" to Dungeonworld is the surface of a brick cube adjacent to the crystal-and-clockwork cities of Dungeonworld's Modrons. These cities happen to be situated on the surface of Dungeonworld's crystal sphere, linking it to Wildspace from Spelljammer.

But there's also a metaphysical "Outside" which is implied to be a pltonic state of enlightenment (Just as Dungeonworld is the platonic ideal of the Dungeon) that can be physically entered via some secret passage in Dungeonworld (Though very few have found it). What specifically it is wouldn't be said in the same way as the nature of the Lady of Pain from Planescape or the nature of Ravenloft's Dark Powers, and it's hinted that it may be different for each person.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tbok1992 View Post
    The literal "Outside" to Dungeonworld is the surface of a brick cube adjacent to the crystal-and-clockwork cities of Dungeonworld's Modrons. These cities happen to be situated on the surface of Dungeonworld's crystal sphere, linking it to Wildspace from Spelljammer.
    Shades of Dark City come to mind if anyone ever tried "digging" their way to the literal outside. I could see some doomsday cult all about it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

Quote Resume:
    Spoiler
    Show

"For your astounding work in the field of punnery, you have been awarded one (1) internet." -Lix Lorn
    "Truly, there is nothing more terrifying than a DM with a sense of humour." -The Succubus
    "No pretty sure he thinks he's Digo Dragon." -Pinkie Pie
    "Digo, you're a liar and a scoundrel." -NeroGrimm

Custom Avatar by me - My OC Changeling, Zeeps!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

First of all, genius idea. Really cool, honestly. I liked the Beholder/Highlander idea. I can hear them shouting right after they defeat one of their competitors, "There can be...only one...eye!"

Since you have rewritten each race with a unique strangeness...how do they interact with each other? Is there any 'racism'? (i hate to use the word but it fits)

Trading? wars? Hell, even parties for that matter. What about resources of the world? Where do the elves get their ingredients? Same for the dwarves with building materials? You know, basic logistics stuff.
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I hadn't thought about that too much. Here's what I've got so far:

The Drow and elves surprisingly get along quite well, as their talents and they're both relatively good natured. The drow are also trying to make allies with the Ettercap, using them for manual labor in exchange for enhancing their villages and granting them education and better access to magic and other resources.

Hobgoblins hate everyone but their own race, goblins, and bugbears as a consequence of being essentially tunnel Nazis. In turn, all but the most cruel and wicked Bugbears and Goblins absolutely despise them.

Deva have a snobbish contempt for everyone, but they especially hate Changelings and Tieflings (Who will be detailed later) for their flouting of authority.

The Dragoborn do consider the Kobolds fellow comrades-in-arms due to their shared origin as Draconic servitor races, but the Kobolds couldn't care less and consider their zealous devotion to their not-communism misguided. Kobolds also don't like the Dwarves (Because of how dangerously mad they are) and the Gnomes (Because they wrecked the Kobolds capital city to the point where they're still rebuilding).

And that's all I got so far. Now let's talk about classes. More specifically, the two unique classes that the setting would introduce, ala PAthfinder's Artificer:

Dungeoneer: A jack-of-all-trades in a very different way for the Bard, this guy represents the experienced dungeoncrawler who dabbles in the arts of the arcane, the divine and the primal he learned from dungeoncrawling, using good old fashioned Martial power when that doesn't work out.

Mechanically, they'd get a series of chosable upgrades to their melee basic attack and skills somewhere in-between a rogue and a ranger, albeit nerfed and less frequnt to compensate for their other class feature. And their other main class feature is their usage of magic on a skill-check based system. They can use as many spells as they want, with the check they have to make to use them depending on the Spell's level, but if they screw up they get hit with a nasty whammy, major or minor depending on how much you failed the check by.

Of course, though Skills don't normally level up per-level in 5e, the modifier you use for spell checks will have to go up each level to avoid what happened to the Truenamer in 3.5e. You also get extra powers like the sorceror's or the Warlock's to represent figuring out how the little magical trinkets you may have found while adventuring work .They're more reliable than your normal spells, but also somewhat weaker.

There'd be a lot of different ways you could build them, focusing more on Martial attacks or on spells, again making them a jack of all trades class.

Monstromancer- These arcane practitioners alter their own bodies to give themselves the various abilities and the appearance of monsters, IE. a beholder's eyestalks, a bulette's front claws, a dragon's fundamentum, a carrion crawler's face-tentacles, an aboleth's slime, ect.

The class mechanics would kinda work like building an Eilodion for Pathfinder's Summoner in that each level you get a point pool, and you can invest that in various monster parts, with the more powerful parts costing more points and only being accessible at certain levels.

At the highest levels they tend to look either odd yet more attractive than they ever did before they started the class (Think of a mix between a hot monstergirl/monsterguy and classic-style Mongrelfolk) or completely inhuman and terrifying. This usually happens for the same reason, namely that a vast majority of Monstromancers have severe body-image issues and don't feel comfortable in their own skin (Talked about in-universe in the book I Don't Like Me" by famed Drow psychologist Marie Mardot, who'd be a semi-important NPC who I'll detail later).

And I swear this class has nothing at all to do with my Transformation fetish. Nope, nothing at all...

DON'T JUDGE ME!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

I assume there will be a Holy Diver PrC for characters that have been down too long in the Midnight Sea?
    Your ad here! Call 1-800-SELLOUT.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Actually, it'd be a template for those who have spent too much time near Old Grandfather (Creator and god of the Aboleths) and been warped into monstrosities by his unholy aberrant glory.

Though there would be a weapon by that name, a scythe wielded by a sorta-reformed Lich. It'd be kind of a running gag throughout the setting to have weapons named after songs, like the sword named Killer Queen in the possession of a Warforged Swordmage NPC, the catfolk leader of Dungeonworld-Hollywood's dagger named Smooth Criminal and the evil dwarven artifact known as Maxwell's Silver Hammer

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay. This is amazing. I am running at least one campaign using your setting. It needs a better name, though.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

All I read was "gadgeteer Kobolds" and I have immediately made a mental mixture of kobolds and Ivalice's moogles. And it's awesome.

Also, if the Minotaurs are Rome-inspired, are you saying they're basically the DragonLance version? Because they were pretty hard-core Roman in that setting.

And I agree that this deserves a more totally awesome name.
    Last edited by LordDeathkeeper; 2012-09-28 at 12:19 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Some fun ideas here. I could see myself running something like this setting, although I'd change some of the ideas (especially ones based on references I'm not familiar with, like Dwarf Fortress).

After all, my setting already has tinker Kobolds.

Also, should I split up my later posts into smaller chunks, as I'm guessing that the reason this topic isn't getting many replies due to the TL/DR problem?
    No, for a world-building thread, you're already doing a relatively good job avoiding TL;DR status. I think the main problem is just that world-building threads almost always have trouble picking up a lot of replies.

I also would have recommended that you post this on the World-Building subforum (under Homebrew) and put a [5e] tag in the thread title ...
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

Work on my homebrew system, CRE8, is still marching slowly onwards. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel -- an Alpha release -- in the distance now. Read my Design Goals here.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Dromites (Small psychic ant people)
    They're ants, they live underground (well sort of) and they can use psionics to build hives. I don't see much that needs expansion here, unless you want to make them a hive mind. Maybe not a hive mind, maybe a shared intellect or memories. To contrast the communist dragonborn make them ultracapitilists, that happen to live in a giant commune that works towards the good of all.

Maybe they're like insectoid Ferengi.
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2012-09-26 at 09:00 PM.
    Current campaign ideas at:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Hobbit View Post
    Okay. This is amazing. I am running at least one campaign using your setting. It needs a better name, though.
    I agree. I suggest you take the Andrew-Hussie approach and apply a seires of words that is obscure as possible.
    Have a deviantart!

And a Pbp: Going to hell and loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    They're ants, they live underground (well sort of) and they can use psionics to build hives. I don't see much that needs expansion here, unless you want to make them a hive mind. Maybe not a hive mind, maybe a shared intellect or memories. To contrast the communist dragonborn make them ultracapitilists, that happen to live in a giant commune that works towards the good of all.
    Well, actually, now that I think more of it, since real life ants are extraordinarily diverse, and in setting psionics is a terrifying biological phenomenon (Think Akira, Carrie or Scanners) more likely than not to eventually go out of control and turn you into a horrible monster (Known as "going one-winged angel" for reasons explained below), I think that maybe the Dromites could be done as giant ants who gained psionic powers and used them to "evolve" themselves to a more humanoid form and currently are the only race who has mastered psionic body modification (Shown by ant-like alterations Dromite PCs can get via themes) in a way that doesn't eventually have you go "One Winged Angel".

And the ultracapitalistic counterpart to the Dragonborn is actually the Deva, who (Aside from the token good members) combine everything I hate about the unrestrained upper class into one vile package.

Anyway here's four of the weird, unexplainable phenomena that tend to appear in Dungeonworld.

The Camera- This weird little photo camera attached to a propeller wanders through the tunnels of Dungeonworld looking for a group of adventurers. When it finds them, it barges right in front of them and a little voice inside it says "Say Phony Pit!". It then takes their picture, drops it out of a flap on its bottom and then flies away.

It has seemingly unlimited film, and legend says that if you look closely in the picture you can find each person photographed's greatest desire somewhere in the frame. Legend says it was created by the greatest artificer of the Kobold race as a joke, and yet it's one of his works that people remember most. Can ya guess what game I got this idea from?

"Tribute To Gary": That's all this bust of an older, beaded gentleman (Who players would recognize as Gary Gygax) says on its side. But there's a far more curious phenomenon associated with it. Anybody who directly touches the statue will automatically get killed by a trap out of nowhere, no saving throw, the things that can be killed by it including such things as gods, demon lords, primordials, ect.

The type of trap depends on which creature is touching it, as the bust usually seems to have a "preference" for cruelly ironic deaths. All people who have tried to study it have ended up destroyed by it, it teleports to another location at the least opportune moments, and there is some evidence that it is the personified will of Dungeonworld itself (Which has several very fascinating implications).

The One-Winged Angel- The in-universe explaination for the phrase "going one-winged angel" as a slang term for "Turning into a horrible boss-monster" so that I don't have to create a Sepiroth rip off. He appears as a brutally beaten and battered angel with one wing bloodily torn off, crying tears of blood as he stays motionless.

When one approaches him, he says "I'm sorry" and turns into a hideous feral abomination, a four legged beast covered in staring eyes and screaming mouths, made of what looks like molten light and still posessing one unripped, imamculate wing. It's really high level (Like, Level 25 CR powerful), and it's implied that it used to be a really powerful angel who made the mistake of going down and trying to destroy Old Grandfather.

The Poker Room- A room with no doors or windows where four of the uber-powerful NPCs from across the multiverse (Specifically Ellminster, Mordenkaien, The Lady of Pain and The Dragon of Tyr) teleport into every unspecified period of time or so to play a friendly game of poker, where the stakes include such things as astral diamonds and truly powerful magic items.

Players can't normally access the room, but on rare occasions (Like once-a-campaign rare) there is an error in reality that allows one to accidentally slip into the room through an otherwise normal wall or floor while they're playing. And hey, there's always room for a fifth player.
    Last edited by tbok1992; 2012-09-28 at 05:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Apart from some of the sillier gonzo aspects (that's a personal preference on my part, not a value judgment), I love virtually everything about this setting. I particularly like the bit about naming stuff after songs, as I plan to do that for my campaign world as well, though subtly and not for humor.

I was going to respond to something specific in here but I've forgotten what it was since there's so much awesome to read through. Off the top of my head, I love the interpretation of minotaurs, and the whole aboleth / kuo-toa / Old Grandfather thing (though I don't know why you didn't just admit the obvious and call him Cthulhu). The Thri-Kreen abdicating their empire out of enlightenment is also really really neat to me, although it makes me wonder whether the Warforged should all have four arms. The gnolls you mentioned in the OP also sounded awesome, as did the deva, though I'm less impressed by the elf, dwarf, and bugbear reflavors. Hobgoblins as Nazis is absurdly obvious but also classic, and the dwarves make me think of Oglaf's version (the strip is NSFW but the dwarves in particular aren't really part of that, aside from a lot of cussing).

Oh, remembered what I was going to ask - Dragons. Why no Brass and Bronze? And what the heck is "orium"? Also do you have specific stats for the Gray Dragon or did you just make it up?

If you have any remaining races that you don't have ideas for, feel free to ask for input; I'm good at this kind of reimagining and often have multiple contradictory ideas, so I can afford to give some away. I was going to mention a Dromite hack I'd been thinking of, but it sounds like you've got enough to go on with them.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Oh, remembered what I was going to ask - Dragons. Why no Brass and Bronze? And what the heck is "orium"? Also do you have specific stats for the Gray Dragon or did you just make it up?
    Orium, I believe is a reference to Oricalchum, and the Orium dragons I believe first came from the 4e Metallic Dragon Draconomicon. Grey Dragons are actually renamed fang dragons from the 4e Chromatic Draconomicon, renamed the same way 4e turned Deep Dragons into Purple Dragons and Sand Dragons into Brown Dragons. I supposed Brass Dragons would come from 2e style Yellow Dragons. And I did include Bronze as being the Metallic form of the Blue Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Also, if the Minotaurs are Rome-inspired, are you saying they're basically the DragonLance version? Because they were pretty hard-core Roman in that setting.

And I agree that this deserves a more totally awesome name.
    I've never actually read Dragonlance. I was just thinking the 4e-style minotaurs could make a good villain race by making the logical connection between their culture and the ugliest parts of Rome in decline (The terrible leadership, the racism and sexism, the disregard for human life, the erosion of any semblance of democracy, ect.).

And I do see where you're coming from on the name, but I can't quite think of a good one. And I might as well do a profile one one of the races here. Howabout...

Changelings: Changelings are essentially 4chan anons IRL, which is helped by their natural shapeshifting abilities. They mostly use it to mooch off other race while at the same time using it to trick/mock people they don't like.

They can identify each other by smell, and like to communicate their intentions to one-another via grafitti drawn with Eternal chalk that's sort of like a combination of an imageboard and that grafitti from Pompeii. This leads to the spreading of certain symbols (Or "memes" as Marie Mardot would call them) from wall to wall by busy Changeling hands, even in places they should not logically be able to appear like the bottom of the Midnight Sea or on the coor of the Hobgoblin Diktator.

They do have analogues to our real-world memes, though some of them have been combined with Thri-Keen hobo signs (which heavily resemble the alphabet of the Bright Race), including their equivalent to the Trollface "The Visage of Mockery"

Their groups are surprisingly large; but usually temporary and for creating some greater act of mischief. This is usually done either for some personal gain, to avenge some wrong done to them or somebody they like or just because they find it funny.

There is a small semi-permanent group of them called the Teejiis (Pronounce it phonetically, you'll get it) who are known for their extreme creativity, especially for being able to take the dumbest idea somebody gives them and make it amazing, all the while taking no credit for the scripts they leave behind while wandering Dungeonworld as a theatre troupe under various assumed names.

There's a concept amongst changelings about "outer identity" or the false form you ware in society to better make your way within it and fool the people for your own gain and "inner identity" which is the "real" you.

This is why the Changelings despise Monstromancers, because they see them and their outer, "ugly" (at least in their eyes) expression of their "inner identity" (Which they view as but a delusion) as a perversion of this core principle, and thus they shun any member of their race who takes up that class (Despite the fact that stats-wise, they'd be very good at it). If anybody gets the analogy, they get a cookie. And no, I'm not a member of that subculture.

They're also incredibly perverted, as befits any race with Shapeshifting abilities. I won't go into much detail due to a desire to avoid angry readers/closing of topics,but let's just say for a start that most Changeling women tend to give themselves a little something "extra", and this is at their tamest. Anybody who can guess which board this is referencing also gets a cookie.

So, which races do you want to hear about next? I think I'm going to do a few significant NPCs next time, but it could change depending on popular request.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Darn man! You're awesome at this!

So, which races do you want to hear about next? I think I'm going to do a few significant NPCs next time, but it could change depending on popular request.
    How about Tengu? Or Gripplis, if you want a race that's pretty capable of being wacky as-is.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

renamed the same way 4e turned Deep Dragons into Purple Dragons and Sand Dragons into Brown Dragons.
    There actually is a Brown Dragon in 3E, found in the Monsters of Faerun supplement. They live in sand, but have no wings and IIRC no breath weapon (or maybe that's Fangs).

I've never actually read Dragonlance. I was just thinking the 4e-style minotaurs could make a good villain race by making the logical connection between their culture and the ugliest parts of Rome in decline (The terrible leadership, the racism and sexism, the disregard for human life, the erosion of any semblance of democracy, ect.).
    I don't know anything about 4E's version of Minotaurs, I'm just glad you're making them more than a random race of giants like in 3E core. I went after Dragonlance mostly to check out their Minotaurs, which turned out to be...lacking. I was hoping for them to resemble the Magic the Gathering version, but instead they're apparently narcissistic sailors? W/e.

Teejiis (Pronounce it phonetically, you'll get it)
    I didn't. This aside, though, I like the changelings a lot.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    How about Tengu? Or Gripplis, if you want a race that's pretty capable of being wacky as-is.
    Ah. I hadn't quite thought of them in Dungeonworld. I think they'd be pretty minor races. But here's my short bits o how I think they'd fit in

Kenku/Tengu A Fae race (Because the mythical versions are youkai, which are essentially Japanese Fae) who tend to litter cities both in and out of the Feywild (Which I haven't decided on a name for to emphasize it's Vegas-inspiration. Maybe Las Arcadia?) as "beggars" asking for spare copper or silver to come their way.

I put Beggars in quotation marks as they actually use that as a ruse in their true duty of gathering info, using their seemingly lowly status to get in where people might say things that they wouldn't want others hearing. They then disguise themselves as humans using simple costumery (And a trademark big-nosed mask to show that yes, it is those reliable-old info peddlers).

They keep careful to conceal their wealth, mostly living in fully furnished, unusually large, portable holes, usually disguised as a simple cloak. the Thri-Keen dislike them for this, calling them "poseurs".

Grippili are tougher. There is gonna be a swamp area where the fumes from the swamp constantly rising up to form clouds, trapped in the area thanks to the celling. This leads to it constantly raining, not just regular old water rain, but also altogether stranger magical and alchemical substances thanks to the swamp being permanently tainted due to the runoff from a now-dead wizard civilization (Who's ruins I will discuss in some depth later).

I figured I'd have them living with the lizardfolk of that area, with them being the only race that the Lizardfolk trust, with the Grippili working with them as scouts and ambushers due to their natural capacity for stealth that the more brutish-physiqued lizardfolk lack. Trouble is, I don't know what the Lizardfolk's culture is,so I can't really define the Grippili that well. I'm thinking of basing the Lizardfolk's culture around Voudoun/Hoodoo,with 4e-style Primal Spirits standing in for the Loa.Does that sound like a good idea?

I also had the idea of Bullywugs being Deliverance-style Hillbillies/Insmouth-residents with a link to the best-D&D-version-of-the-boogeyman-ever Banderhobbs. What do you thinkofthat idea?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

the Feywild (Which I haven't decided on a name for to emphasize it's Vegas-inspiration. Maybe Las Arcadia?)
    Hollywood isn't the same as Las Vegas by any stretch of the imagination, but "Tinseltown" seems to have a vaguely fae sound to it and suggest the shallow glitz and glamour of a Vegas-esque setting, as well as alluding to Christmas, the traditional American holiday in celebration of Greed and Materialism. Very fitting, that.

(And a trademark big-nosed mask to show that yes, it is those reliable-old info peddlers).
    Why am I suddenly picturing the giant little old lady from Spirited Away?

There is gonna be a swamp area where the fumes from the swamp constantly rising up to form clouds, trapped in the area thanks to the celling. This leads to it constantly raining, not just regular old water rain, but also altogether stranger magical and alchemical substances thanks to the swamp being permanently tainted due to the runoff from a now-dead wizard civilization (Who's ruins I will discuss in some depth later).
    I can't decide whether I like this idea or not. It's definitely over-the-top, which seems to be what you're going for; the phrase "stupidly awesome" springs to mind. The sort of detail that I'd probably change if I were using your setting, but would appreciate its presence as an option even if I never used it (Eberron has a lot of aspects like that, things which don't work for me but which I acknowledge as cool in the abstract, while by contrast Forgotten Realms I mostly just dislike whole-cloth).

Trouble is, I don't know what the Lizardfolk's culture is.
    Ooh, ooh! Lizardfolk are pretty much my favorite race of all time, so if you need stuff about them I'm your guy.

I'm thinking of basing the Lizardfolk's culture around Voudoun/Hoodoo,with 4e-style Primal Spirits standing in for the Loa.Does that sound like a good idea?
    Could definitely be cool if that's the direction you want to take it. Though you had probably not go into detail for fear of brushing up against the forum's religion ban, given that Voudoun is a legitimate belief system IRL. Thusly you can't have analogues to the real Loa unless you disguise them very thickly.

I also had the idea of Bullywugs being Deliverance-style Hillbillies/Insmouth-residents with a link to the best-D&D-version-of-the-boogeyman-ever Banderhobbs. What do you thinkofthat idea?
    Don't know Banderhobbs, but IMO the Innsmouth people should be Kuo-Toa instead; Bullywugs are more like the comically inept henchmen of a cartoon archvillain who isn't really trying. In my setting I play the bullywugs straight as being essentially a race of permanently depressed emo-entitlement cases, who think they're the most unfortunate race ever to exist and thus that the world owes them anything they want; for your setting a more slapstick hillbilly-stereotype approach might work better (though again, better not to go into too many details lest you offend someone).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Won't work. No matter how you decide gravity works, it will appear to not exist.