New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Grappling Weapon

I'm working on a character build and I need a weapon enhancement that will allow me to engage in and maintain a grapple with a reach weapon.

There's nothing in MIC, and I already have a particular weapon in mind, so I really need a weapon property.

Anybody know of anything like that?

While I'd prefer a weapon property, I might be able to make this work with a feat or PrC feature that allows a character to grapple with a reach weapon. I definitely want to avoid spells though.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-09-13 at 11:04 PM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Grappling Weapon

A Mancatcher (A&EG) kinda does that, but it is a base weapon rather than an enhancement. I don't think such an enhancement exists.

Check out the feat Scorpion's Grasp from Sandstorm. That is about the only thing I can think of that allows you to start a grapple with a reach weapon (works best with a Kusiri-gama). If you based some weapon enhancement off of that, I'd say it would be a +1 equiv for 3/day, or a +2 equiv for at-will.

Just my thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Scorpion's grasp won't work, but some other feat might. I'll add a request for further feat suggestions into the original post.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bear Fang style (Complete Warrior 112), but the prerequisites are a bit horrendous.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

I think there is a staff that kuo-toas use that has reach and allows them to start grapples

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Mancatchers are awesome. Bonuses to their attack bonuses translate to grapple bonuses.

Not sure of any weapon enhancements, though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I suppose I'd better ask about weapon enhancements that increase reach too, come to think of it.

The idea here is to be grappling with someone not in my space.

The weapon is locked in, but I'm willing to use aptitude weapon cheese if I have to.

Anybody got anything for me?

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I once designed a homebrew Animate Rope whip that allowed me to grapple my enemies from a distance, and even deal energy-based damage, if you were to enchant it further with Shocking Burst powers, as well as its equivalents (Icy Burst, etc.).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don't druids get some spell that makes a club grapple things? And cannot you base your enhacenment off it?

Also, you keep saying that the weapon choice is locked. Mind if I ask what the choice is?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

There's the Entangling Staff spell in Spell Compendium.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Make an Entangling Rope as a Spiked Chain?
    ~Othar wanted me to know so that I would tell men that Othar the Storm-Rider had died well, and I had told him to keep a tight hold of his sword so that Othar the Storm-Rider would go to the feast hall in Valhalla where all warriors who die bravely go after death. These days, although I am old and feeble, I always wear a sword, so that when death comes I will go to that far hall where men like Othar wait for me. I look forward to meeting them.~

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

The Tome of Battle has at least one boost and I think a stance which increases reach.

RAW, corporeal creatures cannot trip or grapple incorporeal creatures but the reverse is not stated to be true. Get ready to dodge flying books if you use that though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by avr View Post
    The Tome of Battle has at least one boost and I think a stance which increases reach.

RAW, corporeal creatures cannot trip or grapple incorporeal creatures but the reverse is not stated to be true. Get ready to dodge flying books if you use that though.
    Actually, the reverse is stated to be so, in the subtype description.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Incorporeal Subtype
    Incorporeal creatures cannot make trip or grapple attacks, nor can they be tripped or grappled. In fact, they cannot take any physical action that would move or manipulate an opponent or its equipment, nor are they subject to such actions.
    (emphasis added)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity