New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Borderlands 2

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Borderlands 2

Everyone's favorite Claptrap simulator is almost here! Also, there may be some guns.

There have been a smattering of thread about Borderlands 2 around here, but they all died out because (I assume) there wasn't much to say. Now that the release date is almost here, I figure it'd be helpful to have a thread to discuss the game/show off loot/set up parties, that kind of thing. Not sure how much we can do right now, but we can at least show off skill trees and that sort of thing.

I for one am really excited about this game; the first one was a ton of fun, and it looks like they're taking the criticisms people had of the first (gamespy multiplayer, not a great story, terrible ending) and really improving on them. And, of course, the loot looks even nicer than before, and shields and grenades are getting crazier, which is nice to see.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Borderlands 2

I managed to get a good few hours of game play on it at a pre-launch party (also with free beer and pizza) friday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got to play as the Siren and Ninja and generally had a great time, good enough to pre-order and pre-load it on steam.

I am looking forward to the release which also coincides nicely with my last day of work before going back to uni..

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I have a feeling it's going to be a while before I get to play it, because it's coming out at the same time as Torchlight 2. I've ordered a physical disk version of Borderlands 2, whereas I have Torchlight 2 preloaded on Steam ready to play on Friday, so I'll be playing that game first...and I don't generally like to play multiple games at the same time, so B2 will have to wait for T2!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Pre-ordered and taking leave on Friday to play. Very much looking forward to playing a Cataclysm siren.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Pre-orded and pre-loaded, ready to hit the ground running on Tuesday as a Commando. Probably going to go an even mix of Guerrilla and Survival trees.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Got my copy preloaded already. A friend of mine and I are actually thinking of doing a runthrough, but likely need more meatshields teammates. I'll be being Zer0, he'll be being the Siren.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Since it's a time of diversity, I'm going to be playing Maya while my bait good friend will be Zer0.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I've got it pre-ordered, but for the 360. I don't think either my fiancee or I will be able to pick it up on release day, so I'm going to be waiting a few extra days.

I'll probably start with Zero, but am really looking forward to Gaige
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    ... am really looking forward to Gaige
    QFT.

My younger brother (with whom I'm splitting a 4-pack) is undecided between Axton and Zer0 (his main was Roland in B1, but Zer0 looks/is SO AWESOME), so I'll probably be playing Cataclysm-Maya or Rampage-Salvador at release.
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'm sad there's no more Phasewalking, but I get it. Lilith was hard core OP in the story mode.

I think the Phaselock is a little gimped, but I haven't played the game yet. Besides, I'm thinking about playing as Zero first anyway. My wife and I pre-ordered so she could play as the Mechro-mancer. We're super excited.

I'm disappointed that we couldn't afford the Super-Deluxe do-whatsit with all the fancy gamer swag, but c'est la vie.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lunix Vandal View Post
    QFT.

My younger brother (with whom I'm splitting a 4-pack) is undecided between Axton and Zer0 (his main was Roland in B1, but Zer0 looks/is SO AWESOME), so I'll probably be playing Cataclysm-Maya or Rampage-Salvador at release.
    Zer0 is a parody of brooding and mysterious anime/comic book anti-heroes. His hidden face and past, sword fighting, haiku recital, and ninja motif all scream "brooding!" He's intentionally awesome. He's also introduced as "Zer0 as... A number".

I've found good pairings of classes:

Axton and Maya for a turret in front of a Phaselock bubble.
    Salvador and Maya for extra firepower on the Phaselock bubble.
    Axton and Zer0 to draw enemies to the decoy moving towards a concealed turret.

12. - Top - End - #12

I'm surprised no one wants to play Salvador. Among my usual gaming group, I always end up playing the tanky character, the guy who can reliably stay up so any given fight doesn't go completely sideways. This guy fits the bill and he looks fun to play.

Is wielding two of any gun the "sexiest" looking ability, like magic, turrets, or a sword? No, but it's functionally going to be awesome. Ontop of that I will constantly flip the double bird at everything in game, so that's a visual win in my book.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

No idea what I'm going to play yet, but I'm excited.

Still, I kind of wish there was a way to play skill trees from the first game. Not that the new ones won't be sweet, but I'll miss my god mode Roland with infinite ammo, health regen, and a Curaga Shotgun.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    Is wielding two of any gun the "sexiest" looking ability, like magic, turrets, or a sword? No, but it's functionally going to be awesome. Ontop of that I will constantly flip the double bird at everything in game, so that's a visual win in my book.
    If you ask me, here's how I plan on playing the game:

1. Maya (always been good with support and elementalists)
    2. Salvador (more dakka)
    3. Gaige (I'll be done with Salvy before she's out)
    4. Axton (not really all that interesting; like Roland, he's just generic)
    5. Zer0 (let's face it: EVERYONE IS GOING TO PLAY AS ZER0. He's brooding, he's quiet, and he's a freaking space-ninja)
    6. Whatever else Gearbox puts out post-launch.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maya and Lillith fist-bump in the launch trailer.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    I'm surprised no one wants to play Salvador. Among my usual gaming group, I always end up playing the tanky character, the guy who can reliably stay up so any given fight doesn't go completely sideways. This guy fits the bill and he looks fun to play.

My theory on that is that the Gunzerker's skill tree looks like it is the weakest at a glance. Many of his buffs and the like seem a bit smaller when compared to the kinds of numbers Axton and Zer0 generate. In particular, Axton has some crazy nice skills and a lot of versatility. The thing is, being able to dual-wield two Legendary guns and then get skill bonuses on both guns kind of makes up for that, but at a mere glance it isn't that apparent.

I'm playing Axton first simple because he has the most fire rate increases, and I want to see how fast I can get one Vladof going. After that, I'm going to play Salvador, then Zer0, then Gaige, and finally Maya. I think all the characters are interesting, though.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Maya and Lillith fist-bump in the launch trailer.
    Something like this. (Note: some blurry gibs)

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kind of disappointed they gave all the team-leader stuff to the siren, immortal health-machine soldier was fun.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Kind of disappointed they gave all the team-leader stuff to the siren, immortal health-machine soldier was fun.
    She's got the support role. The Commando now focuses on extremely aggressive offense while the Gunzerker can not only tank, but also put out a lot of damage.

This video covers everything you'll need to know about how they improved the first game without spoiling anything, or making it seem like a grind.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-09-17 at 07:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

So, who's looking for more on PC tonight?
    My games:
    Have you ever wondered How to Succeed in Evil?

Thanks licoot for the awesome Pip avatar!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IonDragon View Post
    So, who's looking for more on PC tonight?
    The-Mage-King and I.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    The-Mage-King and I.
    Steam names? I am TechnologyFetish

EDIT: /facepalm.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2012-09-17 at 09:12 PM.
    My games:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Who else has seen the launch trailer?

Spoiler
    Show
    Implied teamup with original Vault Hunters?

Possibly playable as future DLC?

Me being overly hopeful far too soon?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Who else has seen the launch trailer?

Spoiler
    Show
    Implied teamup with original Vault Hunters?

Possibly playable as future DLC?

Me being overly hopeful far too soon?
    Yeah, you work with Roland first, and Mordecai's teamup is later on.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    My theory on that is that the Gunzerker's skill tree looks like it is the weakest at a glance. Many of his buffs and the like seem a bit smaller when compared to the kinds of numbers Axton and Zer0 generate. In particular, Axton has some crazy nice skills and a lot of versatility. The thing is, being able to dual-wield two Legendary guns and then get skill bonuses on both guns kind of makes up for that, but at a mere glance it isn't that apparent.
    And then you start playing around with the skill-tree builder, and realize that with 5/5 in Inconceivable and 5 Shots or 6, a Gunzerker can potentially milk two to eight hundred shots out of every hundred ammo, before taking into account Gunzerk's built-in ammo regen. Assuming the progression holds steady, with a class mod boosting you to 9/5 in one (or, cog forbid, BOTH) of those skills, as little as 5% of your shots will consume ammo when in critical condition, and far more will give it back (9/5 5 Shots by itself lets you fire each bullet nearly ten times over while active). Similarly, 5/5 Last Longer and Yippee Ki Yay will drastically extend your Gunzerk time -- in the release trailer, once Salvador enters Gunzerk in the fight versus the Bolivian Army, he's not going to leave it until either he or they are all dead.
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

26. - Top - End - #26

Moreover on Salvador, his health regen abilities are nuts and that's what I'm looking for. If I play around with the Brawn and Rampage trees right, I should be able to have a reduced cooldown Gunzerk that instantly fills my health, gives me a massive damage reduction buff, gives me good health regen, and lets the rest of the team fill their roles best without taking as much fire they otherwise would.

Truth be told, the Rampage tree does look really fun and I'm likely going to explore that too when I play. The Gun Lust tree looks a bit hit or miss but the roll over damage plus the possible 80% damage increase to the last bullet of any given magazine (buff adjusted for the size of the magazine) plus the added damage and crit of switching to a weapon plus the damage bonus of gunzerking with the same type of guns could make you a serious cannon in a literal sense. That takes a bit of setup that's hard to achieve with the auto-loader perk but it's out there.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

27. - Top - End - #27

Repost;
    -- .NET Fix --
    When you first start Borderlands 2 through Steam you will have a .NET repairer or installer. When it is finished it will say you need to restart your computer. Just click "RESTART LATER" and the BL2 splash screen will come up.
    To prevent it from doing this on every start up through Steam you will want to go to your Steam Library, Right click on Borderlands 2, Click on the Local Files tab, Select Verify Integrity of Game Cache... It should find 1 file missing and fix that file...
    You will not need to restart your computer through this entire process.... Hopefully this will stay near the top or get stickied for the wave of people having issues as they get home from work/school later today...

-- Alternative .NET Fix --
    epsiblivion has posted a folder permissions issue that may very well help everyone...
    I HAVE FOUND A FASTER WAY TO FIX THE .NET PROBLEM
    on gearbox forum the guy says to go the your install folder and make it not read-only. do this by
    going to C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common and right click on borderlands 2.
    click on properties
    uncheck read-only under attributes
    click ok
    now relaunch the game
    .net should update one more time
    game launches after without asking for restart.
    quit game. relaunch. no .net update.
    play BL2

-- OTHER ISSUES / COMMON QUESTIONS --
    GreenManGaming (and maybe GameStop) pre orders are currently not receiving the pre-order keys. It is a well known issue at this time. Be patient and wait. Edit - It appears Pre Order bonuses are starting to appear for Steam players now.

Golden Keys appear to be 1 time use per account (not per character). When a player uses a key in a Co-op/Multiplayer game it appears to use other players keys as well should those players have a Golden Key.

GearBox Shift - When you sign up and confirm your email you will not receive an email with a Shift key. The next time you continue your game you will receive golden keys automatically. I received 3 but I'm seeing people with different numbers of keys...

If you have a Borderlands 1 save file on your computer you can get Loyalty Perks. These are additional customizations for the characters. No additional perks are known at this time.
    My games:

28. - Top - End - #28

My other post didn't bump the thread. In order to help people with the .net problem, see above.
    My games:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Two quick questions, what does tipping Mad Moxxi do? Where is the Creature Slaughter Dome and how do I get to it?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Well I only had about an hour to play yesterday. Played the gunzerker but didn't get to level 5 to get any of the special abilities yet. Didn't get to Roland yet, but I was heading that direction.

Feel of the first game is still there. But I haven't got to play with anyone else yet and obviously haven't had a chance to see much of the game or gameplay.
    I'm playing on the PC and my Steam name is also Erloas there. I'm only on the L4D steam group so far.