New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast

Thread: Borderlands 2

1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Borderlands 2

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    There's nothing negative to signing up, you get free stuff, and Gearbox has already said they plan on expanding on more than just Golden Keys. In the future, codes will be given out at conventions that give exclusive guns, skins, heads, or other neat promo items, for example.
    Meh my location makes it highly unlikely that I'll ever go to a convention and I don't use twitter so I can't even get the extra tweet keys. Frankly the only thing that might make me sign up if they offered some slight (5-10%) discount on DLC later down the line.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-10-26 at 10:53 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Meh my location makes it highly unlikely that I'll ever go to a convention and I don't use twitter so I can't even get the extra tweet keys. Frankly the only thing that might make me sign up if they offered some slight (5-10%) discount on DLC later down the line.
    You don't have to use Twitter, you just have to be able to load the @GearboxSoftware page.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    You don't have to use Twitter, you just have to be able to load the @GearboxSoftware page.
    Or Facebook. /r/Borderlands also keeps tabs on all six (two on PC, PS3, and 360) keys available at a time.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Troll in the Playground

I don't understand why Dahl and Hyperion manufacture sniper rifles. If I wanted burst fire, I would use an assault rifle. If I wanted a sniper rifle that is horrifically inaccurate for the first few shots, I would check myself into an asylum. I also don't see the benefit of "fires as fast as you can pull the trigger" on a weapon that has to be reloaded after every shot, Mr. Jakobs Shotgun.

I'm hoping for a mod or DLC or something that removes every weapon manufacturer except Maliwan from the game.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    I don't understand why Dahl and Hyperion manufacture sniper rifles. If I wanted burst fire, I would use an assault rifle. If I wanted a sniper rifle that is horrifically inaccurate for the first few shots, I would check myself into an asylum. I also don't see the benefit of "fires as fast as you can pull the trigger" on a weapon that has to be reloaded after every shot, Mr. Jakobs Shotgun.

I'm hoping for a mod or DLC or something that removes every weapon manufacturer except Maliwan from the game.

But... but then it will take more than one shot!

Because you weren't using a Jakobs.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

I also don't see the benefit of "fires as fast as you can pull the trigger" on a weapon that has to be reloaded after every shot, Mr. Jakobs Shotgun.
    This, so much this. Jakobs pistols are top-notch, but their shotguns? Haven't touched one for at least fifteen levels now.

Considering I can count on my hands the number of Maliwan guns I've found that only consume one ammo per shot... Yeah, no thanks.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

Dahl snipers are pretty beastly from my experience. Take a shot at a wall a good distance away, and take a look at where the bullets hit. If you're Zer0 (and maybe gunpowder-Axton), the answer is 'All in the same place' If you're anyone else, it'll be a very tight vertical line of bullet holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #518
    Troll in the Playground

The Hyperion Invader is a hyper-accurate burst sniper. After one burst, it's completely stable. Thus, no recoil after one shot. Proceed with sniping!

9. - Top - End - #519
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Hyperion Invader is a hyper-accurate burst sniper. After one burst, it's completely stable. Thus, no recoil after one shot. Proceed with sniping!
    Er, yes, but one of the main things you want to be doing with a sniper rifle is hitting as hard as possible with the first shot, because the targets are all going to do inconvenient stuff like shooting back at you as soon as the first shot lands. If the first shot disappears off into space somewhere because the gun is bucking like a plastic donkey from an old game then you've wasted the element of surprise!

Mind you, I'm not a big fan of Dahl sniper rifles--burst mode is all very well, but the second and subsequent shots are likely to miss unless you aim the first one low, so you're eating into your limited sniper ammo to little benefit. I'd rather take three good aimed headshots with a Jakobs sniper, to be honest.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Considering I can count on my hands the number of Maliwan guns I've found that only consume one ammo per shot... Yeah, no thanks.
    I haven't found a single sniper rifle of any manufacture that consumes more than one ammo per shot. Shotguns are particularly horrible offenders in this regard. On Zer0, I don't really use the other weapon types with any sort of regularity. Well, I have Law in a quick slot, but I don't use it as a gun...

If I'd seen a Jakobs SR with elemental damage I'm sure I'd be all over that, but for now I love me some Maliwan sniper rifles. Especially the fire ones.

Also, the gripe about Dalh burst-fire sniper rifles isn't the accuracy. It's that they burn through so much ammo. I spent the eridium to max out my sniper ammo capacity but I still don't carry enough to like wasting 80% of it, which is what happens when my first round kills my target but the gun decides to unload four more into the wall/dirt behind him.

Hyperion is a fine manufacturer for anything but sniper rifles. And might even not be terrible for sniper rifles on any character but Zer0. The problem with them is that the bonus damage from decepti0n only applies to your first bullet, so that's the shot that you really want to land. If you can't reliably crit your target with the first shot, there's no guarantee that you'll land that shot when you really need to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Er, yes, but one of the main things you want to be doing with a sniper rifle is hitting as hard as possible with the first shot, because the targets are all going to do inconvenient stuff like shooting back at you as soon as the first shot lands. If the first shot disappears off into space somewhere because the gun is bucking like a plastic donkey from an old game then you've wasted the element of surprise!

Mind you, I'm not a big fan of Dahl sniper rifles--burst mode is all very well, but the second and subsequent shots are likely to miss unless you aim the first one low, so you're eating into your limited sniper ammo to little benefit. I'd rather take three good aimed headshots with a Jakobs sniper, to be honest.
    QFT

I fairly commonly trash any Hyperion weapons I get except on my Gunzerker, and even then I only use their pistols and SMGs. Their sniper rifles are a waste of ammo, and their shotguns... Let me put it this way, if I'm gonna use a weapon type that kicks like a donkey, I at least want the first shot to actually deliver the payload, rather than get chucked to the side.

As for my feelings on the other weapon types...

I'll admit a certain dislike of Dahl's sniper rifles as well, since I like doing one good precise shot rather than burst fire. However, their assult rifles, pistols, and SMGs are actually damn good, since you're gonna want to fire multiple shots with those more times than not anyway.

Jakobs...is my baby. Higher damage, especially on their sniper rifles, where damage is one of the only two stats that matter(the other being accuracy)? Oh, Heck yes! And as for the 'fires as fast as you pull the trigger' feature, it comes in handy on the shotguns and pistols when you're right up in the face of a Badass Psycho, or Raging Goliath. Granted, the kick sucks, but careful control can mitigate that. I run a lot of Jakobs weapons on my Assassin, can you tell?

Bandit weapons can be good, especially on their SMGs, where their extra ammo really shines, but they suck as far as reload speed, and they have a wicked kick too. I will admit being amused at their mis-spellings, though

Maliwan are good guns for the Mechromancer and the Siren, and properly chosen elemental damage trumps even Jakobs sometimes. However, I will admit to being annoyed at the multi-ammo consumption, especially on the rocket launchers, sniper rifles and pistols where ammo isn't in massive clip supply to begin with. Their SMGs though, are rather good for quick, close-range elemental delivery.

Tediore...Tediore weapons are all perfectly average as far as their types-Strong slow rockets, rapid-fire SMGs, etc...but then you get the thrown weapon thing. That thing can be either awesome, or an ammo waste, and it ultimately depends on how close you are to an ammo dump machine.

Torgue. Can I say ? I have nothing against explosive bonus damage in any way, but their different ammo style is a pain, and makes their weapons the ones I'm second-most likely to trash, just behind Hyperion. However, I have found some of theirs ok, the ARs being their chief shining point, with their rocket launchers close behind.

EDIT:I have just been informed that Torgue weapons do damage twice because of the way they work. I am not above admitting being wrong, so with this knowledge, I'll say Torgue are actually a solid choice.

Vladof...honestly, I don't really have much to say here. They're perfectly servicable weapons with no stand-outs I've seen, apart from legendary guns like the one which never depletes ammo, but the high fire rate is awesome on Gunzerkers, particularly those specced in the Rampage tree.

This has been ScrambledBrains:Two Cents Corner.
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2012-10-29 at 03:33 PM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

Torgue guns deal damage twice. That damage number is the splash damage and standard contact damage, so if the bullet hits an enemy, they'll take teice as much. Bullet damage bonuses apply to both, and so do grenade damage bonuses. Don't ignore Torgue, because a basic Axton build can deal almost 400% more damage than normal.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Bugbear in the Playground

Torgue guns deal damage twice. That damage number is the splash damage and standard contact damage, so if the bullet hits an enemy, they'll take teice as much. Bullet damage bonuses apply to both, and so do grenade damage bonuses. Don't ignore Torgue, because a basic Axton build can deal almost 400% more damage than normal.
    Huh...never knew that(I haven't played a Commando far enough to get any good Torgue guns yet). I will go edit my earlier post.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

14. - Top - End - #524
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I knew Torgue weapons did more damage than they listed just from some quick testing in Marcus's range, but I had no idea that grenade damage bonuses applied to them, too. How about launcher damage bonuses? I'm playing a Commando right now, just hit level 41 last night, and I just got my hands a couple of nice Torgue weapons. This might warrant a respec...
    Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
    In the forests of the night;
    What immortal hand or eye,
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

-excerpt from "The Tyger" by William Blake

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

Just bullet and grenade bonuses. Let's say your gun deals 25 damage. It'll deal 25 damage, and then the splash from the projectile will act as a grenade and deal 25 damage. Buffs to grenade or bullet damage apply to the same shot, so +10% bullet damage means you'll be seeing 27.5 damage on both the bullet and explosive splash.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Banned

I always found the accuracy on the explosive rounds to be too random to be worth it. Except on shotguns at least.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

Slow bullet velocity turns me off of torgue.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Seconded. Any extra damage you may experience is totally negated by watching random bullet spray sailing past your target.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Seconded. Any extra damage you may experience is totally negated by watching random bullet spray sailing past your target.
    Anarchy Gaaaaaaaige

Hitting people first time is for wimps who don't like explosions.
    Last edited by Reynard; 2012-10-29 at 08:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

Hyperion's shotguns are so stupidly powerful that I have a hard time convincing myself to use any others... except sometimes Torgue. Auto shotties with good ammo capacity, and a crosshair that shrinks constantly as you hold down the trigger? Evil.

Vladof is probably my second favorite, since they come closest to substituting for S&S Munitions from the first game, and so far I haven't noticed any tradeoff for their guns' good points...

Still, the single weapon type that I've found to be best for me, by a big margin, are Torgue gatling guns. Sadly, I've never found one over green quality. :(
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

21. - Top - End - #531
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I always found the accuracy on the explosive rounds to be too random to be worth it. Except on shotguns at least.
    The assault rifles usually fire fast enough that you're not missing too much. Main problem is if the enemy rolls to get out of the way, because the slow bullet speed means there'll be quite a few rounds already on their way that'll miss; it's also a real PITA to hit a flying Buzzard with Torgue explosive rounds unless it's flying directly towards you.

Still, given a choice, I'll usually pick a Torgue rifle over anything else on offer, simply because the medium and close range damage output can't be beat.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Troll in the Playground

Aimed SR shots seem to be instantaneous. I'll be on the lookout for a Torgue SR for experiments.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #533
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The assault rifles usually fire fast enough that you're not missing too much. Main problem is if the enemy rolls to get out of the way, because the slow bullet speed means there'll be quite a few rounds already on their way that'll miss; it's also a real PITA to hit a flying Buzzard with Torgue explosive rounds unless it's flying directly towards you.

Still, given a choice, I'll usually pick a Torgue rifle over anything else on offer, simply because the medium and close range damage output can't be beat.
    I dunno. I've found that I can literally put the cursor directly over an enemy...just to watch the explosive rounds curve in mid flight and miss.

Assault rifles are not great in my experience anyway. SMGs seem to do their job, except better anyway.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2012-10-30 at 01:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

If you're worried about your Torque Minigun missing the target, you aren't throwing enough Dakka at them.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Orc in the Playground

Aimed SR shots seem to be instantaneous. I'll be on the lookout for a Torgue SR for experiments.
    Sorry to disappoint, but Torgue doesn't make SRs:
    {table="head"]Manufacturer | Pistol | SMG | Assault | Shotgun | Sniper | Launcher
    Bandit | X | X | X | X | | X
    Dahl | X | X | X | | X |
    Hyperion | X | X | | X | X |
    Jakobs | X | | X | X | X |
    Maliwan | X | X | | | X | X
    Tediore | X | X | | X | | X
    Torgue | X | | X | X | | X
    Vladof | X | | X | | X | X[/table](X's are gun types the company makes; blanks are ones they don't.)

Part of the reason ARs fall flat, in my opinion, is that any advantage 3/5ths of them might have over SMGs are negated by manufacturer schticks. Bandit ARs are hideously inaccurate, Jakobs ARs have the PITA semiautomatic fire and huge recoil, and Torgues have lowish accuracy and low muzzle velocity.

The Vladof Shredifier is pretty awesome, however. (Except for its trololol legendary droprate.)
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

26. - Top - End - #536
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    If you're worried about your Torque Minigun missing the target, you aren't throwing enough Dakka at them.
    Or I could just use a vladof gun and have it hit for slightly less damage per bullet, but land 3X as many of my shots. Torque is really only good for close range, where you may as well use a shotgun anyway. The maliwan AR is outperformed by their SMG in every way, and the Jacobs AR is outperformed by their pistols. Vladof is the only AR actually worth using, and they seem impossible to find. Just my opinion of course.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

Vladof? Hit the enemy? From anything but point-blank range? You and I seem to have had very different experiences with their guns, then.

Torgue ARs are, IMO, the best ARs. Their spread isn't atrocious, and actually gets to something approximating accuracy when using the sights, their damage is unparalleled and they tend to be a bit easier on ammo than most competitors, certainly better than "Where'd all my bullets go?" Vladof. Of course, the vast majority of all ARs I've found are junk; Grenadiers do piddly damage for their ammo expenditure, Bandits just seem to be bad (then again, the only Bandit gear I tend to like are pistols and shotguns), Vladof couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when using its signature "Hold the trigger down and never let go" style and Jakobs just makes you wish you were using one of their great pistols or snipers. Dahl ARs are also pretty good, but seem to be crazy-rare for some reason. Oh yeah, and Tediore. If I find a Tediore not let down by mediocrity across the board, I'll let you know. My Axton doesn't always use an Assault Rifle, but when he does it's a Torgue. Or a Dahl. In fact, if it's not a sniper and it's a Dahl, I'll probably use it. Those guys make good guns.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lunix Vandal View Post
    Part of the reason ARs fall flat, in my opinion, is that any advantage 3/5ths of them might have over SMGs are negated by manufacturer schticks. Bandit ARs are hideously inaccurate, Jakobs ARs have the PITA semiautomatic fire and huge recoil, and Torgues have lowish accuracy and low muzzle velocity.
    You're just using the wrong Jakobs ARs. Cannons are awesome to have against certain enemy types.

It's unfortunate that the lack of Tediore ARs means a lack of Tediore Blasters, meaning that I can't detonate a third of my AR ammo at once in a massive explosion.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Troll in the Playground

So Borderlands Legends hit the iOS today.

It's absolute garbage. It was outsourced, reuses assets from the first game, and combines clunky controls with terrible AI. No random loot, boring weapons (they're all purple; not the name, the texture is purple), and bland visuals in a pricey package on the iOS.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, Dahl would be perfectly acceptable for me on anything but a one-shot weapon like a sniper rifle.

Anyway, after finding a Jakobs SR I'm a convert. No elemental for bonus damage, but it hits so hard... Biggest hit I saw with my Maliwan fire SR was 3672. With the new Jakobs, 8871. Same level weapon, I'm currently 23. I'd been keeping 3 of my weapon quickslots tied up with SRs of different elements, and now I don't know what I'll do with my fourth (1 SR, Law, a shotty, and ???). Moxxxi finally handed over a Bad Touch after I poured 24k into her, so maybe I'll finally start playing with that on a regular basis... I also found a pink-quality rocket launcher...
    Spoiler
    Show