New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Borderlands 2

1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Borderlands 2

Quote Originally Posted by IonDragon View Post
    Yes, and here it is.
    And I got it. And it's hilarious. I'm also at what is apparently the end of the game. Interesting. I don't recall exploring Lynchwood yet, and the Sheriff appears to be a minor character.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Rocket Launchers are terrible in the original Borderlands.
    Not really, they just weren't primary weapons. They were great for clearing out large groups of people, but not much with stronger individuals. It is a situational use weapon, not a primary weapon, but one to have with you in some situations. The sniper rifle is much the same way. I know my brother had great effect with his in Moxxi's when you are facing hordes of enemies. No other weapon is really capable of killing many people at once (with the exception of grenades) and the 100% elemental effect was useful too, especially for someone like Brick who didn't have much to increase elemental proc chances.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, and here it is.
    That is the most irritating thing I have ever seen or heard in my life, and I want it.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Got this Epic Rarity skin. It's pretty sweet, and goes well with the Rare Head I picked up doing Statuesque.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Not really, they just weren't primary weapons.
    They were for Brick. He had skills all around regenerating and enhancing rockets. They were to him what Assault Rifles were to Roland.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

My Axton is now level 24, specced in Survival and Guerrilla. For those wondering, no, it is not just you, the game is indeed harder than Borderlands 1 was. Most reviews I've read and people I've talked to have agreed on this. It seems to be due to a combination of somewhat improved AI and vastly increased numbers of enemies. This game will thrown tons of guys at you, and will throw multiple waves of tons of guys. If you're not quick about dispatching one wave, the second wave can spawn before you're ready. Fight For Your Life is a lot more common than in the first game, and skills improving it are seriously worth considering.

Ammunition consumption is also a problem. I find myself constantly running out of ammunition. Melee is very useful as a result of this.

Some people have mentioned gear troubles, and I had those too. One thing you can do is use the slot machines in Mad Moxxi's bar in Sanctuary. They drop guns leveled to you (up until lvl 18, anyway) and you can get greens, blues, purples, and I think even legendarys if you're really lucky. You can also get Eridium (good for upping your ammo capacities, which you will need) and customization schemes. If your gear is a few levels out of date and you're level 20 or below, it is not a bad way to upgrade your arsenal.

In conclusion, I hate Badass Threshers.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    They were for Brick. He had skills all around regenerating and enhancing rockets. They were to him what Assault Rifles were to Roland.
    If you ever found a fire elemental Mongol rocket launcher, you'd never use anything else. It sucks up close, but if you've got a lot of guys at range (Underdome or the Lance circle of duty from Knoxx) then it can wipe out massive ammounts of enemies VERY quickly.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

More on gear and Salvador:

Jakobs and Salvador are fast friends. My entire arsenal is now Jakobs, save for my E-tech SMG, and it is a joy to see those large, white numbers pop up. My friend Michael Mamaril (rest easy young man) hooked me up with a fantastic sniper rifle that pumps out 407 damage and my headshot crits border on 1700.

This makes me wonder about Salvador and damage output. I'm not sure how Axton's turrets or zer0's Decepti0n scales, but it may be the case that Salvador's gunzerk ability is the best ability in regards to scaling damage solely because it is almost entirely reliant on the weapons used. With appropriate leveled guns, or twink weapons if you're so fortunate, you should out perform the other classes in terms of damage dealt.

Can anyone substantiate or refute this?
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    More on gear and Salvador:

Jakobs and Salvador are fast friends. My entire arsenal is now Jakobs, save for my E-tech SMG, and it is a joy to see those large, white numbers pop up. My friend Michael Mamaril (rest easy young man) hooked me up with a fantastic sniper rifle that pumps out 407 damage and my headshot crits border on 1700.

This makes me wonder about Salvador and damage output. I'm not sure how Axton's turrets or zer0's Decepti0n scales, but it may be the case that Salvador's gunzerk ability is the best ability in regards to scaling damage solely because it is almost entirely reliant on the weapons used. With appropriate leveled guns, or twink weapons if you're so fortunate, you should out perform the other classes in terms of damage dealt.

Can anyone substantiate or refute this?
    I can neither confirm or deny this supposition, but I haven't put a single point of skills into my turret's damage output, and it is a murderous little guy from level 5 to level 24. I'd imagine that if you specced it out with Guerrilla tree upgrades and gamechangers, it could be extremely vicious. I'm not sure on who I would bet, especially if we're talking twin rocket turrets with shields and maxed accuracy and damage skills.

As for Decepti0n, yeah, I imagine it is not quite as powerful in terms of raw DPS as Gunzerking with two great legendaries will be. But Decepti0n has utility that Gunzerking does not, and Decepti0n has a much, much quicker cooldown.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    I can neither confirm or deny this supposition, but I haven't put a single point of skills into my turret's damage output, and it is a murderous little guy from level 5 to level 24. I'd imagine that if you specced it out with Guerrilla tree upgrades and gamechangers, it could be extremely vicious. I'm not sure on who I would bet, especially if we're talking twin rocket turrets with shields and maxed accuracy and damage skills.

As for Decepti0n, yeah, I imagine it is not quite as powerful in terms of raw DPS as Gunzerking with two great legendaries will be. But Decepti0n has utility that Gunzerking does not, and Decepti0n has a much, much quicker cooldown.
    I suppose I will have to wait for some number crunching on that. However, I'm really interested in that last, emboldened bit.

By utility, what do you mean? If you mean usefulness then I have a dissenting opinion on the matter. Brawn spec'ed gunzerking has fantastic utility. Instant health, good regeneration that scales with damage taken, damage reduction, ammo regeneration, and a taunt. The Rampage and Gun Lust trees offer different uses but it's pretty boss in solo play and team play, provided the gear is in place.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose I will have to wait for some number crunching on that. However, I'm really interested in that last, emboldened bit.

By utility, what do you mean?
    Cloak and revive? I've found that useful multiple time playing with my friends. Long distance snipe shots on badass enemies? When I fought Flynt solo, I took down half of his health in one shot before he got to do anything. I haven't played the Gunzerker, but I don't think you can aim while gunzerking.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

By utility, what do you mean? If you mean usefulness then I have a dissenting opinion on the matter. Brawn spec'ed gunzerking has fantastic utility. Instant health, good regeneration that scales with damage taken, damage reduction, ammo regeneration, and a taunt. The Rampage and Gun Lust trees offer different uses but it's pretty boss in solo play and team play, provided the gear is in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    Cloak and revive? I've found that useful multiple time playing with my friends. Long distance snipe shots on badass enemies? When I fought Flynt solo, I took down half of his health in one shot before he got to do anything. I haven't played the Gunzerker, but I don't think you can aim while gunzerking.
    Krade's remarks are in line with my thoughts. To elaborate, perhaps utility was a poor choice of words. Gunzerking lacks strategic and tactical ability. What Gunzerking is, essentially, is a set of really cool, really awesome, and pretty powerful stat boosts. With those stats boosts, you do what you do when you are not Gunzerking: you shoots things, and you shoot them a lot. Compare that to Axton's Turret, Zer0's Decepti0n, and Maya's Phaselock, which fundamentally alter the way these characters are played, and provide them with new capabilities.

Gunzerking lets you do things that you did before, only much, much better. And the degree of improvement is so significant that it might let you take risks and exploit opportunities that you may not have before. But the Gunzerker will never set up a flank on a Badass Nomad with his turret, or move invisibility to an excellent fighting position, and Maya's abilities speak them for themselves about the new opportunities they provide. I don't want that more abstract kind of power to get ignored in the face of raw damage numbers, in which the Gunzerker will probably excel. I don't want the discussion to be "Gunzerking is the best action skill because it has the biggest numbers." Not that you were necessarily arguing that, but the discussion could head that way.

As Axton, I value my turret not just as another source of DPS, but as providing cover via bubble shield, and as a second gun aiming and acting independently of me. I can be gunning down Hyperion loaders while my turret clears the sky of Surveyors, or it can be shooting down Rakk while I fight the Skags trying to eat us. I can cover one direction while turret fires down another. The turret is more than a way of generating bigger numbers, and I really appreciate that, even though I could be using those two purple Torgue shotguns I found together at once to make a literal hail of rockets (and body parts resulting from those rockets) as a Gunzerker.

This is a stat based game. Numbers matter. But, they are not the only thing that matters. The Gunzerker looks awesome. I'm sure I will enjoy playing him. But I know that as awesome as ammo regeneration, health regeneration, damage resistance, and 100% more gun is, I will miss some of the capabilities I had as other classes. What I'm trying to say is, I love my girlfriend.

___

Since I have endeavored to answer your question, sir, may I ask you one? You mentioned that you favored Jakobs as a Gunzerker. Now, I enjoy a good Jakobs. Fine guns, certainly. but I always found them best used from a distance, since carefully controlling my aim and fire rate to manage their recoil was how I got the most out of them. Sure, if you're caught point blank you can fan the hammer and empty your gun into a sucker, but in general Jakobs recoil is so fierce that I prefer to keep up a steady pace of fire, letting the recoil level out, rather than dump my magazines into a guy.

For my Gunzerker, I was planning on either dual wielding Vladofs (because if you put out enough bullets fast enough, you'll hit something) or Hyperion weapons, particularly SMGs. With Hyperions, your first shots are going to miss anyway, so you might as well hip fire and gain all the benefits wherein, and as you shoot more, you suddenly become dead accurate with very little recoil. This seemed a natural fit for Gunzerking, what with it being locked into hip-fire, and a way to extend the reach of the Gunzerker. What are your thoughts on this theory? Do your experiences speak against such an approach?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

So, uh... was just peeking in...

Yikes. You guys get up into the discussions, don'tcha? @_@

Anyway, just wanted to say a little semi-spoilered thing. I'm still very early into the game, and so far, it's pretty cool. Playing splitscreen is a pain in the butt, however, because it's so darn small. -_-

Spoiler
    Show
    It seems that the player characters are quite a bit more brutal than they were before, what with the testing of guns on live subjects. Feels bad, man. >___>;;

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That robot we tested the corrosive gun on was in no way alive.

15. - Top - End - #75

Since I have endeavored to answer your question, sir, may I ask you one? You mentioned that you favored Jakobs as a Gunzerker. Now, I enjoy a good Jakobs. Fine guns, certainly. but I always found them best used from a distance, since carefully controlling my aim and fire rate to manage their recoil was how I got the most out of them. Sure, if you're caught point blank you can fan the hammer and empty your gun into a sucker, but in general Jakobs recoil is so fierce that I prefer to keep up a steady pace of fire, letting the recoil level out, rather than dump my magazines into a guy.

For my Gunzerker, I was planning on either dual wielding Vladofs (because if you put out enough bullets fast enough, you'll hit something) or Hyperion weapons, particularly SMGs. With Hyperions, your first shots are going to miss anyway, so you might as well hip fire and gain all the benefits wherein, and as you shoot more, you suddenly become dead accurate with very little recoil. This seemed a natural fit for Gunzerking, what with it being locked into hip-fire, and a way to extend the reach of the Gunzerker. What are your thoughts on this theory? Do your experiences speak against such an approach?
    I prefer Jakobs for a couple reasons. Firstly, and most importantly, the best guns I've found happened to be Jakobs and my effectiveness has skyrocketed. Secondly, since I'm spec'ed for Brawn, I don't get some of the great benefits, like better ammo regen, offset usage, and gunzerker duration, afforded to those who built up the Rampage tree and use high-bullet capacity guns. Continuing on build, as primarily Brawn, I gain weapon damage and fire rate bonuses for being damaged. Seeing as how I'm going to fire faster and hitting for more damage since I'm going to be hit anyway, I don't mind eschewing faster firing guns for slower, harder hitting guns. As of right now, I'm of the belief that Jakobs will help me maximize that approach.

Are Hyperions or Vladofs best-in-slot? They could be, especially for Rampage builds. They could even be for Brawn builds too but I'm going to roll with what I have for now. If I find some good Hyperions or Vladofs, I'll switch over and see how that goes.
    Last edited by polity4life; 2012-09-21 at 12:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Unless I'm missing something, fire rate bonuses are meaningless for Jakobs guns. A Jakobs gun's fire rate is "how fast can you pull the trigger?"

I suppose it might be different for SMGs and other sustained fire guns that keep shooting when you hold the trigger down, though.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2012-09-21 at 12:25 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, fire rate bonuses are meaningless for Jakobs guns. A Jakobs gun's fire rate is "how fast can you pull the trigger?"

I suppose it might be different for SMGs and other sustained fire guns that keep shooting when you hold the trigger down, though.
    You know, that's a good point. I'm so used to flicking already that maybe I don't see how the other way could be better. Now I really want to find some decent Vladofs.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

You know, that's a good point. I'm so used to flicking already that maybe I don't see how the other way could be better. Now I really want to find some decent Vladofs.
    Miniguns are a good find. A particular drop I had early on was a rotary rock launcher.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Miniguns are a good find. A particular drop I had early on was a rotary rock launcher.
    Gunzerking a pair of Explosion-element Miniguns is a lot of fun, I can tell you that.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

What, no Bandit brand love? Come on, you can't tell me more bullets aren't more better!
    Add me on Steam! Link

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

.... I hate when designers arbitrarily design in a way that says "you may no longer solo play from this point".

Spoiler
    Show

dear who ever designed the Roland Rescue boss... please go smack yourself in the nuts several times. I just died because I had to shoot through 8 Badass loaders and was completely out of bullets by the time I could even shoot at the shielded robot. Hoard bosses are never fun, never end well, and do nothing but cause complete frustration unless someone is perfectly speced for them.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

22. - Top - End - #82

Ammunition consumption is also a problem. I find myself constantly running out of ammunition. Melee is very useful as a result of this.
    It was for me too on Salvador, at level 20, but then I found a team ammo regen relic. Gives the whole team 0.7 ammo regen. Doesn't seem to work on rockets at all, but it's great for keeping you in SMG and shotgun ammo.
    My games:
    Have you ever wondered How to Succeed in Evil?

Thanks licoot for the awesome Pip avatar!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

It was for me too on Salvador, at level 20, but then I found a team ammo regen relic. Gives the whole team 0.7 ammo regen. Doesn't seem to work on rockets at all, but it's great for keeping you in SMG and shotgun ammo.
    Oh thank god they kept ammo regen. I have yet to find any, but now I have hope!
    Add me on Steam! Link

24. - Top - End - #84

Anyone with a PS3 wanna start a new character and play with me?
    Me and my brother have been playing together since release day, but he doesn't want to play often so I can't continue on my siren -.-

My PSN name is: roronorozoro
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Hyperion weapons are excellent for Gunzerking, yes ... unless you spec Rampage and pick up Steady As She Goes. You'll reach peak accuracy slower because of the recoil reduction, and every time the accuracy boost procs, your crosshairs will snap outward. (Can you tell I learned this the hard way in Fink's Slaughterhouse yesterday?) SASS is rather nice, however, if you're using non-Hyperion weapons in crowded areas.

Another one to look out for is pairing a Hyperion and a non-Hyperion, especially if you're going to be firing with reckless abandon. The Hyperion's screen-shaking early recoil can throw off the non-Hyperion's early, accurate shots, and then depending on weapon type the non-Hyperion may jostle the Hyperion once it stabilizes. SASS will then lock you in a vicious cycle of never being able to shoot straight.

My favorite guns so far are actually a matched pair of Maliwan SMGs I got from Moxxi -- dual-wielding fire in one hand and acid in the other means I can always get bonus damage against unshielded enemies. Against shields, Stalkers, and Badasses, my shock'n'slag assault/shotty pair is one keypress away. Gunzerk's built-in ammo regen keeping up with my bullet hoses? Gravy. (Granted, the Inconceivable + 5So6 combo I mentioned earlier has vastly reduced my consumption in the first place, but still.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Codemus View Post
    There's also shields that have a chance to give you back some ammo every time you get shot. And, naturally, 166 Badass Ranks up for grabs (per character) for doing so.
    Last edited by Lunix Vandal; 2012-09-21 at 05:38 PM.
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

How do I get moar rockets? I found a rocket launcher in the firebird's canyon and I barely use it because I have like 5 rockets. (BTW I'm having a lot of fun pretending to my friend who played Lilith in 1 that the firebird is a huge boss fight with a badass fire immune guy)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Rumor: Borderlands 2 has the most annoying gun in the world, made by and for trolls.
    Just stumbled across this gem. Possible spoilers in the first image, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    How do I get moar rockets?
    I buy most of mine at the ammo shops.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2012-09-21 at 11:48 PM.
    My games:

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Well, tonight I beat it (technically it's the morning though, so... Quiet). Excellent ending with a good sequel hook.

Spoiler
    Show
    Turns out the Vault Key is a map for dozens of Vaults all across the galaxy. Pandora just happens to have held a two of them.

Also, Roland really is dead.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Codemus View Post
    CLASS MOD; not relic. Sorry I messed that up. I just logged out of the game and remembered.
    My games:

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    .... I hate when designers arbitrarily design in a way that says "you may no longer solo play from this point".

Spoiler
    Show

dear who ever designed the Roland Rescue boss... please go smack yourself in the nuts several times. I just died because I had to shoot through 8 Badass loaders and was completely out of bullets by the time I could even shoot at the shielded robot. Hoard bosses are never fun, never end well, and do nothing but cause complete frustration unless someone is perfectly speced for them.
    Simple.

Spoiler
    Show

Run past everything until you get to the boss then unload everything right into its big red eye.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!