New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Borderlands 2

1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Borderlands 2

I'm a little disappointed at the baddass points. I liked being able to chose how I optimize my character. I like the fact that I don't have character specific weapon preferences, but still...

When I built a revolver/repeater elemental Lilith, I felt like a freakin' god-slayer. Because I was able to crunch proficiency with pistols from both types of weapons, while still enjoying the bennies of two ammo caches. I was able to build her to my play style and I loved that.

With the new badass points, the buffs are randomly generated as far as I can tell, so building a nicely specialized (some say min-maxed, I call those people haters) elite warrior is a little bit more "luck-o-the-draw" than I prefer.

Other than that, it has been a pristine game. I haven't gone online with it yet, but the wife and I have been hammering out the story mode on system link since our pre-order came in.

I'm Zer0, she's Maya, but that's only until we unwrap our Mechromancer code. After playing Zer0 for a little bit, I'm probably switching to Axton. The wife pulls aggro harder than Leroy Jenkins, and I need a character type that's better at spreading the bullets around. Dropping a turret in the middle of a bandit sandwich then spraying the field with grenades and elemental SMG shenanigans is probably the way for me to go, so we don't keep spending my hard earned money at the New U Stations.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

My post is shy...
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    I'm a little disappointed at the baddass points. I liked being able to chose how I optimize my character. I like the fact that I don't have character specific weapon preferences, but still...

When I built a revolver/repeater elemental Lilith, I felt like a freakin' god-slayer. Because I was able to crunch proficiency with pistols from both types of weapons, while still enjoying the bennies of two ammo caches. I was able to build her to my play style and I loved that.

With the new badass points, the buffs are randomly generated as far as I can tell, so building a nicely specialized (some say min-maxed, I call those people haters) elite warrior is a little bit more "luck-o-the-draw" than I prefer.

Other than that, it has been a pristine game. I haven't gone online with it yet, but the wife and I have been hammering out the story mode on system link since our pre-order came in.

I'm Zer0, she's Maya, but that's only until we unwrap our Mechromancer code. After playing Zer0 for a little bit, I'm probably switching to Axton. The wife pulls aggro harder than Leroy Jenkins, and I need a character type that's better at spreading the bullets around. Dropping a turret in the middle of a bandit sandwich then spraying the field with grenades and elemental SMG shenanigans is probably the way for me to go, so we don't keep spending my hard earned money at the New U Stations.
    Badass points got generalized because they apply to all your characters.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    I haven't went too far into the badass points, but they all give 1% then 0.7% then 0.6%... and I don't know how they go from there, it is clearly a case of diminishing returns though. I think it is good that they don't apply only to a specific weapon type because I have yet to settle on a specific weapon and often switch between at least 4 different types.

Of the list they give you to pick from, I think it just picks 5 of the 14 possible upgrades, not sure if it will change what you can pick if you log out or zone, but I think the whole point is that you wouldn't just stack a single option.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Simple.

Spoiler
    Show

Run past everything until you get to the boss then unload everything right into its big red eye.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I certainly wish I'd known the red eye was a critical hit point when I did that fight. As it was, I discovered I was horribly ill-equipped for dealing with a strong shield. I fell back to using my incendiary SMG to whittle at it (and more importantly keep it from recharging) between hitting it with Phaselock (which damages things too large to suspend), and using my corrosive pistol to get second winds off the numerous smaller bots. I only actually "died" once, when I'd been crippled so many times close together that I bled out in a second (literally if I recall); but I'd managed to broke through its shield by then and it didn't come back anywhere near as strong.

It fell to corrosive shots pretty quickly after that. If I'd been aiming for the critical spot it might've gone down before I died.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Thing about the endgame? Corrosive weapons are king. The last battle, you might want to go for Corrosive, Slag, or normal weaponry, as you'll quickly find resistances are a very irritating new feature.

Don't bother using Incendiary stuff on Loaders and such. It's a waste of time and ammo.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

no one talking about possible new DLC class after mechromancer? wrong link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fh49...layer_embedded
    Last edited by mrzomby; 2012-09-22 at 10:11 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

I was thinking about that. I'd hope that some DLC will be a prequel of sorts to the game, ending on the destruction of New Haven, where the players take the roles of one of the original four Vault Hunters.

That, or joke DLC where Moxxi, Marcus, Scooter, and Zed are playable.

On a more serious note, I think something like one of the other two Sirens in the universe would make for a nice new character. Or maybe Tiny Tina.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground

Got the game on Tuesday.

Love everything about the guns, the personalities of the new vault hunters, seeing the characters from the first game again...but I do have one complaint.

I chose to play as Zer0, and I love his behavior(The Haiku's. )...but Decepti0n...sweet jiminy christmas trees, what a rip!

Five seconds...five seconds in which your hologram flails about like a ragdoll, making every bandit move as well, and making it difficult to set up a slash(Which is what I wanted to spec my Zer0 as, melee.), and once you do, oops! There goes your cover, and you've got several angry, homicidal maruaders on your ass, shooting you! What the hell?! Why can't it last longer?! Or, better yet, why does it flail around?! It should have been programable, to move intelligently and distract the bandits, not pull them toward you!

'Deep breath' On the other hand, even with no points in the Sniper tree, I love headshotting everything.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    That, or joke DLC where Moxxi, Marcus, Scooter, and Zed are playable.
    ...This must be a thing. Hell, make Moxxi a siren and you've already got all your abilities fitting with the original classes...mostly just want to play as Moxxi. XD
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

I'd certainly pay for a skin that reskins Maya as Moxxi, Zer0 as Zed, Axton as Scooter, and Salvador as Marcus. Hell, with the exception of Maya (Zed's masked, remember?), they all make sense.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    Got the game on Tuesday.

Love everything about the guns, the personalities of the new vault hunters, seeing the characters from the first game again...but I do have one complaint.

I chose to play as Zer0, and I love his behavior(The Haiku's. )...but Decepti0n...sweet jiminy christmas trees, what a rip!

Five seconds...five seconds in which your hologram flails about like a ragdoll, making every bandit move as well, and making it difficult to set up a slash(Which is what I wanted to spec my Zer0 as, melee.), and once you do, oops! There goes your cover, and you've got several angry, homicidal maruaders on your ass, shooting you! What the hell?! Why can't it last longer?! Or, better yet, why does it flail around?! It should have been programable, to move intelligently and distract the bandits, not pull them toward you!

'Deep breath' On the other hand, even with no points in the Sniper tree, I love headshotting everything.
    The trick is to pop your stealth before, sprint to the person and then hit them. But regardless it'll get a billion times easier when you hit the third row of melee talents and get the melee dash skill. It'll dash forward and do a more powerful cut, basically turning stealth into a "Kill one enemy" skill.

I also generally use a turtle shield with really high capacity to tank the bullets that come my way until I either sprint back behind cover or just melee all the enemies to death,

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Here's what you need to recognize: there are four shield types, and each one is built for a different class. The Nova shields are for Maya, the Absorbs for Salvador, and so on. If it blends well with your class, you should prioritize it.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post

It runs forwards a bit, so launch it at an angle to where you intend to run to set up your attack.

It's also way better once you get Execute and can dash forward for the kill (and it usually does, even at about level 15 it regularly hits for 2500).

Also, in co-op it lets you cheese behind strong enemies and usually stay there because they'll stay focused on your co-op partner.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

So one thing that is kind of annoying is that for the longest time I was getting no decent class mods for the zerker. The stores would either have none or just white ones with bonuses I didn't want. I think I used a level 12 one until level 21 before I found a better one. We had a group of 4 last night and had 2-3 chests full of class mods and not a single one was for the zerker, of course there were some for classes that weren't in the group...

One other thing is that, especially when playing with other people, I want to run utility mods, like ammo regen. But all of the ammo regen mods have skill bonuses (now that I finally found some non-white ones) for skills I don't have. Partly because if I were running that skill tree then ammo wouldn't be a problem much anyway. I know its a matter of specialization, but in many cases I would actually prefer my class mod to give me abilities/utility that I don't already have in skills. But you don't get a skill bonus unless you have 1 point in that skill already. I really only see the skill bonus stacking as being really great if you are going for straight up damage.

And I'm not sure how I want to spec. I started out brawn for survivability but I'm not so sure its worth while any more. Especially in a team its pretty easy to stay alive... of course I don't know how much worse I would be if I didn't have the skills, I like running into the middle of everything. I also really like the combo of Fist Full of Hurt and a melee weapon, even thinking about adding a roid shield to it but haven't yet, because I can pretty much one-shot everything, it will even take down a huge amount on badasses.

I think my favorite shield so far is the nova shields, because I'm already in the middle of everything and they do a lot of damage its a good way to wipe out lots of people. I even found one that novas both at shield depletion and at health depletion, and I've had a lot of times where the nova from the health depletion will get me back up almost as soon as I go down.
    I didn't find the absorb shield to be of much use... had a special or mission one that had a 25% absorb rate... whether or not it was absorbing the ammo I could never tell (since ammo is rarely an issue), but it didn't seem like it was negating the damage of 25% of the shots, not sure if it was supposed to, but that was my original assumption, that an absorbed bullet wouldn't do damage.
    The booster shields that increase your first shot damage, I think it would work well for a sniper, and the Axton I was running with liked it, but I didn't notice it as being all that great for my build.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    One other thing is that, especially when playing with other people, I want to run utility mods, like ammo regen. But all of the ammo regen mods have skill bonuses (now that I finally found some non-white ones) for skills I don't have.
    class mods count as putting points into the skills, even if you don't have it.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Not according to the game itself. It says +2 bonus to skill X, only applies if you already have at least 1 point to the skill.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Only in the first game.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Not according to the game itself. It says +2 bonus to skill X, only applies if you already have at least 1 point to the skill.
    Only in the first game.
    Then why was I getting Helios damage when I had no points in Helios?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

So I ran into an interesting problem...

I was looking up telescopes in Southern Shelf Bay with my second character: Salvador, in a co-op with Maya. Whenever I'd look at a telescope, the view would end and go back to first-person view.

But then all the controls would lock up. I couldn't move, aim, shoot, activate any abilities, or do anything but go into the pause menu. I ended up having to quit and re-enter, but the same thing would happen when I tried going to the telescopes again. Not sure what's going on, but it didn't happen on my main, Axton.

I think it might happen when two people try to use a telescope at the same time.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

If I had to guess I would just bet you have a bugged gun. Try an integrity test (steam has it built in), or just purchase a new scoped weapon and give it a try.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Then why was I getting Helios damage when I had no points in Helios?
    Pics. We need pics or your argument isn't valid.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Pics. We need pics or your argument isn't valid.
    it was over 3 days ago and according to the game's own information, working as intended. According to you it bugged or your wrong. try it out and see what happens, because I'm not rolling a new siren when I'm not even done on my first playthrough for pics proof.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Well then, I'll go with what the game said, because by it's definition, you're incorrect.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Here's what you need to recognize: there are four shield types, and each one is built for a different class. The Nova shields are for Maya, the Absorbs for Salvador, and so on. If it blends well with your class, you should prioritize it.
    How do Absorb shields blend with Salvador? He has so many methods of regenerating ammo as it is that another one seems entirely superfluous--heck, if I run short of ammo for my sniper rifle, a single Gunzerk using other weapons is enough to top it up to full, and I'm not even very deep into the talent trees there (only level 16 at the mo).

If anything I'd say Nova shields work better for him, because he's pretty much guaranteed to get his shield depleted when he's up close and personal gunzerking!

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If anything I'd say Nova shields work better for him, because he's pretty much guaranteed to get his shield depleted when he's up close and personal gunzerking!
    Or, alternately, use a "no-frills" variety with lowish capacity, a 1-second delay, and a sky-high regen rate (mine's ~1050 SHP, 1.35 SRD, ~1400 SRR). 2 seconds in cover, or whenever the enemies have to reload? Full shields, and Gunzerk can a significant chunk of HP. A few seconds under fire? Free ammo from Inconceivable. That's a win-win in my book.

I could see an Absorb shield working well too, however -- particularly for drawn-out fights like attacking the Hyperion Bunker solo (guess what I did before work today). Seems Gunzerk + 5/5 Inconceivable + 7/5 5 Shots or 6 can't keep up with dual-wielded SMGs fired near-continuously for fights that last longer than a minute or two.
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

it was over 3 days ago and according to the game's own information, working as intended. According to you it bugged or your wrong. try it out and see what happens, because I'm not rolling a new siren when I'm not even done on my first playthrough for pics proof.
    Triscuitable is right.

http://imgur.com/QCaNY

28. - Top - End - #118
    Barbarian in the Playground

After our brief back and forth last week, I made it a point to find some non-Jakobs firearms and see how gunzerking went. As it turns out, I discovered two facts. First, not all Jakobs have the "fire as fast as you can hit the trigger" feature. Second, Jakobs were not made for gunzerking.

I managed to get my hands on a couple nice Vladof assault rifles, a Vladof sniper, a couple Hyperion SMGs, and an amazing Bandit pistol. Fire saturation really doesn't describe what I had going on. Any of those combination of those guns worked much better than my Jakobs weaponry. I still keep a pistol with +100% melee damage but beyond that, I'm unfortunately going to have to swear off my favorite gun maker for this character.

Oh, and bowler cap Salvador is pretty nifty, moreover when you apply the bandit paint skin.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Any other Siren players getting some odd voice files from Maya? Specifically she seems to have swapped voice boxes with Axton.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lunix Vandal View Post
    Seems Gunzerk + 5/5 Inconceivable + 7/5 5 Shots or 6 can't keep up with dual-wielded SMGs fired near-continuously for fights that last longer than a minute or two.
    Ah, I make sure I use two weapons with two different ammo types when Gunzerking--I have a nice chaingun barrel assault rifle that deals explosive damage and a shock SMG working together right now; Goliaths and other tough baddies just melt in the hail of fire!