New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Borderlands 2

1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Borderlands 2

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    So, um, I just got back to Sanctuary after a certain mission involving a train and a 13 year old girl...

Spoilers. Seriously.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Holy. Crap.

That was incredible. Guardian Angel working for Jack?!?!? Never saw it coming, but it makes so much sense, and at the same time is a perfect extreme plot twist. That, and the sequence following it, just made my day. Some of the best video game writing I've seen in a looooooong time. Congrats to Gearbox's writers, they definitely earned their pay.

Makes me wonder how they're going to explain her motives for genuinely helping you through the rest of the game - or if it's still an act (though I doubt that).

"Big deal, so your city's flying. What do you have that you think could possibly save you?"
    "A Siren."
    <city vanishes>
    Oh, they explain her motives well and perfectly...in another 'holy ****!' moment that marks the point that Borderlands 2 becomes less funny and more serious.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfLaughter View Post
    So far I've only touched Axton, two turrets or a nuke turret, it's so hard to choose... (Nuke won out, it does like 300000 on average... :P)
    The two turrets can provide a lot of cover, and make for very useful distractions. The nuke power is very limited as well, and does closer to 90k damage. A good rocket launcher in the late game is comparable.

Here's a good suppression Commando. The trick here is to lay down your turrets ASAP, getting a good buff for doing so. A cooldown relic and class mod will also help tremendously here: keep the buffs going, and make sure the shield on your turrets is available to provide allies with cover. Laying down a turret for a Gunzerker to spray by, or give a Siren time to recharge her shields and action skill is incredibly helpful.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Oh, they explain her motives well and perfectly...in another 'holy ****!' moment that marks the point that Borderlands 2 becomes less funny and more serious.
    Well, it gets serious for about five minutes, but after that it's pretty much business as usual...

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    'Sup?

Man, and I thought Phasewalking was awesome in the first game. Apparently it's closer to Phasewarping. I'll be damned if I didn't wish that Phasewalk didn't allow teammates to phase, too.
    You should fix the spoiler code you're quoting.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Well that all makes sense when you think back to the first game.

*PLOT SPOILERS FOR STORY QUEST "Where Angels Fear to Tread"*
    Spoiler
    Show
    At the end of Borderlands 1, you are treated to a scene with a Hyperion satellite. I wondered why Angel was helping me the whole time since Hyperion were the villains of this game.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Well, it gets serious for about five minutes, but after that it's pretty much business as usual...
    I think I'm about 1-2 storyline quests away from that particular quest... but really the majority of the game is fairly serious in nature, just not in tone.

I did love Tiny Tina and there is at least one ECHO log you find in some other area that mentions her.

So should we assume that everyone else can use the New-U stations, not just the vault hunters? Is that why all of the main bosses come back after a little while, and assumable the only way to stay dead is to not have the money to pay for a new you? But that would of course raise the question of why some people can die and others don't. And with Hyperion owning and running the New-U stations, it seems like Jack would try to shut them down to beat you. It would definitely make for an interesting mission.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

I think it's fair to assume that the New U station isn't canon, because believing otherwise leads to a lot of awkward and weak explanations. New U station exists because video game, and bosses respawn because videogame.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Forgot in the previous post...
    Some people at the LGS were complaining that BL2 it not original enough. They said it is fun in all the same ways as the original but there really isn't anything new with it.
    I kind of thought that was the point of a sequel. I can kind of see both sides of it, on one hand you don't want to fix what isn't broken but on the other trying something new is good too. I'm really not sure what they could have added to the game that wouldn't change the feel of it too much (such as if they had added a cover system). The classes are similar to what was available in BL1, but they are notable different in some ways too. I'm not sure how many other class options there really are without adding more "magic" to the setting.
    What do you guys think?

So far I'm getting exactly what I expected out of the game.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Borderlands 2

Go back to the first game. I did, and I found so much has changed in three years, that it's hard to go back. The game isn't as brown, the AI is more refined, the shields, guns, class mods, grenade mods, etc., are so unique, and the guns feel like they're made by a specific manufacturer.

Look at an SMG in Borderlands. Is it Maliwan? No, it's Atlas. How about this shotgun? Jakobs? Nope, it's Torgue. And that rifle is Dahl, not Tediore.

The characters have more backstory, there's more humor (and a plot, even), and the last boss is exciting (and variable).

It's also a lot longer, but doesn't feel like a slog through some areas. I love it.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Borderlands 2

I would say the New-U actually is canon cause it would explain respawning bosses and whatnot. It does leave the hole of 'why couldn't Jack just shut them down to stop you' but that can be easily explained as...

Spoiler
    Show
    He can't do it himself and when he tells Angel too...well she says she does but doesn't. Up until a certain point in the game, Jack wants you to survive and, after it, there's a very brief point in time where Jack would want to stop you from using them...and Angel is actively trying to get you to kill her so why would she do it?

After her death? Jack can't shut down the New-U stations anymore and they are canon cause there's a quest where the goal is to kill yourself and Jack acknowledges you come back to life if you actually follow through with it. Jack has time since the end of the last game to remove the former Vault Hunters from the Hyperion data-base of clients (so they don't respawn aka Roland dying) but won't for the new ones (until a certain point) and afterwards doesn't have the time to remove the new Vault Hunters from the database before he loses the capability to do so. Why not just shut them down then? Simple, they're a huge source of income and Handsome Jack probably uses them himself. Why would he turn off the New-U's when it means he wouldn't come back either?

Also, which bosses drop Siren Heads? I want to unlock more of them, but don't know which to kill.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2012-10-01 at 04:51 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

The New-U stations are kind of ambiguous in the series. Rather than think too hard about it, let's go with the MST3K way: Mike couldn't possibly breathe in space, but it's not like it's an issue. It's a video game, guys.

Also, which bosses drop Siren Heads? I want to unlock more of them, but don't know which to kill.
    Henry and BNK-3R will drop unique heads. Henry drops hers less frequently than BNK-3Rs, and you might not even get the head you want.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Henry, BNK-3R, [Final Boss], Terramorphous, Vermivorous, any badass enemy, and Geary each drop a unique head. Each is capable of dropping a head for each class, and the dropped head is generally random and not based on the class you're currently playing.

If the New-U is canon, (real spoilers incoming yo)
    Spoiler
    Show
    what's the point of killing a boss for a quest if they immediately respawn? What's the motivation? Anyways, it doesn't explain the respawning nature of the myriad non-humanoid enemies a la BNK-3R, Henry, Wilhelm, The Warrior, Terramorphous, etc. "New U is canon" doesn't actually explain anything.

However, if it were canon, why didn't Angel or Jack respawn?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    what's the point of killing a boss for a quest if they immediately respawn? What's the motivation? Anyways, it doesn't explain the respawning nature of the myriad non-humanoid enemies a la BNK-3R, Henry, Wilhelm, The Warrior, Terramorphous, etc. "New U is canon" doesn't actually explain anything.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah but they do, but some guy at hyperion decided that they can't charge employees for the service, but saw that it could get out of hand really quickly if they had unlimited respawns so they limited it to only 1 respawn. Obviously only upper management would get free respawns, the regular employees have to pay(hence they keep coming back)

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Henry, BNK-3R, [Final Boss], Terramorphous, Vermivorous, any badass enemy, and Geary each drop a unique head. Each is capable of dropping a head for each class, and the dropped head is generally random and not based on the class you're currently playing.

Spoiler
    Show

How do you find Vermivorous?

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

How do you find Vermivorous?
    Spoilers ahoy!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Varkids evolve. Larva to adult, adult to badass, badass to superbadass, and then instead of ultimate badass, it will evolve into Vermivorous the Invincible, who is honestly the toughest thing in the game. Tons more HP than Terramorphous.

It can only happen on maps big enough, and there might be other limiting conditions in place that we are not aware of it. It is also very difficult to pull off, as varkids don't evolve unless there are other varkids nearby, and even then their AI can be kind of spotty about it. It is a serious challenge to even get him to spawn.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So.... I just got past the control core angel part, and HOLY CRAP was that a turn for the dramatic. The actual fighting wasn't so hard (level 27 , Moxxie's good touch spawned as a corrosive weapon, flicker is at 8, and I have +22% on corrosion chances and damage, robots melt), but that was so dark it felt like a series of punches, in a funny, lighthearted game. Without going into more spoilers, how far along am I? It feels like roughly 75% from a story perspective but you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

You've got just a little bit of the game left. Sawtooth Cauldron, Eridium Blight, the Arid Nexus, and the Vault.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I just had my funniest boss fight yet, against Slagged Bloodwing. Turns out you can dash towards flying opponents with Zer0's Execute. But one dash doesn't cut it since the boss flies fast, so I had to fly after it using dash multiple times midair, all within the 5 seconds you get from Decepti0n. I scored the hit, which was, considering I was a melee-focused Zer0, a pretty hefty one, and as I was falling, I managed to get another hit, which, through the "+500% damage against critically wounded enemies" skill, did some good (tens of?) thousands of damage, killing it.

tl;dr: Zer0 can fly.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

So has anyone managed to get more than one of the corrosive guns from Moxxi? I've gotten a ton of the Fire ones but I can't get the Corrosion one to spawn again. I heard that maybe you only get the corrosion once per playthrough which would be annoying since mine is like a level 15 one. I guess I could join someone's game at the same level as me as a level 1 char and just give them money to buy it, but I'm wondering if there's another way.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    So has anyone managed to get more than one of the corrosive guns from Moxxi? I've gotten a ton of the Fire ones but I can't get the Corrosion one to spawn again. I heard that maybe you only get the corrosion once per playthrough which would be annoying since mine is like a level 15 one. I guess I could join someone's game at the same level as me as a level 1 char and just give them money to buy it, but I'm wondering if there's another way.
    I got a corrosive hail assault rifle from her once... it was an odd mortar-thing.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

I got a nice corrosive pistol from Moxxi, around level 20. I think it was a straight quest reward though.
    As for tipping her, I have tipped her a lot and never got anything for my trouble.

22. - Top - End - #262

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I got a nice corrosive pistol from Moxxi, around level 20. I think it was a straight quest reward though.
    As for tipping her, I have tipped her a lot and never got anything for my trouble.
    Pretty sure that was a quest reward.

For tipping, you can tip a lot and not get anything. I tipped two hundred thousand in one sitting and didn't get anything.

Also, Chen, I have not gotten another bad touch either (doesn't that sound wrong). So maybe, at least for now you can only get one. I really hope that's something they can patch, as the level 15 thing took me through so much of the game on normal. Then my upgraded version is helping tons in True Vault Hunter mode.
    Last edited by Strife Warzeal; 2012-10-02 at 12:06 PM.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    You have to tip her A LOT. A LOT A LOT. I hear you can get upgraded versions if you go back and tip her more, but I've dropped at least 30K since getting her two SMGs and haven't seen anything else.

Which is too bad. Her SMGs rock, even if they do reload a bit slowly. The shotgun I got as a quest reward rocks on toast. I just wish it was corrosion instead of fire (I love fire, but probably 50% of the elemental-themed enemies I encounter are on fire). It's great for stalkers and threshers, though.
    JediSoth
    Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author, Gamer, Foodie
    Doctor StrangeRoll or How I learned to stop worrying and love all D&D

"The quality of our legacy is measured in the lives we touch."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JediSoth View Post
    You have to tip her A LOT. A LOT A LOT. I hear you can get upgraded versions if you go back and tip her more, but I've dropped at least 30K since getting her two SMGs and haven't seen anything else.
    For the Bad Touch, $15k. For the Good Touch, $25k. Afterwards, it's random which one you get after $25k, but scaled to your level.

Also, some crazy grinding, and I finally have all but one Siren head! (KAWAII KILLER! WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!)

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    And to believe I was kind of starting to consider switching to a Cunning build. Definitely sticking with Bloodshed now.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show

How do you think those armies of bandits keep repopulating :P

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Quoting this again because I had an awesome idea:

Someone should record a video of themselves using Many Must Fall to take out multiple rakks in flight. Preferably while a teammate records themselves watching.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-10-02 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Quoting this again because I had an awesome idea:

Someone should record a video of themselves using Many Must Fall to take out multiple rakks in flight. Preferably while a teammate records themselves watching.
    That sounds awesome! and really difficult...

Since I've seen the post (and had Zer0 a high enough level) I've been trying to fly. It can be really really hard. Not sure if Buzzards are a good target or not to practice on. Though, when I hit them it is extremely satisfying. I'm seconding that someone needs to manage this feat of awesomitude.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

So, thoughts on the storyline?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

TVH Sawtooth Cauldron gets all of my hate. All of it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you call the elevator up to Buzzard's Nest the first time during Toil and Trouble, you get ambushed. Among the ambushers are 4 Badass-quality shield-carrying Nomads, who are the ones you have to kill to advance the mission.

Now picture that ambush as a Gunzerker (read: no good way to deal with BA shield nomads except grenades & launchers) ... who has run out of grenades, has no launcher handy, and whose only source of extra grenades is a glitched Ammo Dump vendor that thinks clicking the "buy grenades" button means "try to buy AR ammo instead."

Oh, and the Nomads in question have enough firepower in their "dinky little pistols" to blow through your 90,000 combined HP and shields in roughly five seconds, in case you were thinking about kiting in and out of melee range to bait them into swinging their shields to expose something that's not an invulnerable wall of armor.

But, with that aside, it was fairly smooth sailing the rest of the way, when I found out that this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    ... On looking things up a bit more, it appears that each of the shield challenges has a specific unique or legendary shield that is spectacularly good for that specific challenge. Except Game of Thorns, looks like that one has to be done with a regular spike shield.
    Isn't true. Endgame spoil:
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of the Warrior's potential Legendary drops is a Maliwan-made Spike shield named The Impaler. (Vlad would be proud.) Rather than reflecting damage onto those who attack you in melee, The Impaler launches ranged attacks towards those who shoot you with bullets.

Mine's Corrosive, for extra Loader-smiting goodness; not sure if it can spawn as the other elements or not.
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile