New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: "I Saw This Movie One Time, Years Ago...."

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    it stars another black funnyman, I'm pretty sure it's Martin Laurence, as a superhero who's afraid of heights so he only flies a foot and a half off the ground. I don't recall the title.
    Meteor Man starring Robert Townsend..

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask
    Its very similar to Groundhog Day in that the protagonist is also trapped in a time loop, but in the case of this movie it was only 1 hour or so.
    12:01 PM?
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pita View Post
    None of these.
    Would it help if I mention that it was an American movie, and probably mid-1990s or earlier? I saw it maybe 10-15 years ago, on a movie channel that wasn't very up to date.
    Not really I'm afraid. I'm not very familiar with the horror genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Probably doesn't help at all, but I'm pretty sure the book said it was just bone, not limestone. Limestone bones seems like it'd be... weird.
    I'm not sure what you mean. I'm fairly sure the book was talking about hydrogen generation and the presence of a 'float bladder' type organ inside the dragon which allowed it to become lighter than air (or at least light enough to soar).

In the scene from the movie, the older dragon explains that dragons 'eat' gemstones and store them in the craw (a gullet-like section of their digestive tract), to help them grind up and digest the white fire rock (limestone), much like birds eat grit to grind seeds.

The only bit about bones I can remember is the fact they have to be hollow, much like a bird's, and it was reinforced about their head to help protect it.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-09-17 at 11:08 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post

Sadly no ^^

As far as I remember it was a lot more dark and very little maybe even no comedy involved ^^

And the main thing is that the timeloop happens a lot faster then in 12:01 or groundhog day, something between 30min and an hour.

In the last sequence I think you see him jump off of an office building then a cut and then he is a dribbling maniac in the streets, presumably a lot more loops have happened and he is now completely insane and not the "funny" I do stupid stuff insane, but the broken human being insane incapable of doing anything anymore.
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-09-17 at 11:13 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    Sadly no ^^

As far as I remember it was a lot more dark and very little maybe even no comedy involved ^^

And the main thing is that the timeloop happens a lot faster then in 12:01 or groundhog day, something between 30min and an hour.

In the last sequence I think you see him jump off of an office building then a cut and then he is a dribbling maniac in the streets, presumably a lot more loops have happened and he is now completely insane.
    Could it be Limbo?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm yes it could very well be, if only I could find a trailer to confirm sadly my google fu seems to elude me

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

I remember a cartoon from the 90's (might have been anime; but I am pretty sure it was an american or Canadian production) in which the main character was a red-headed swordsman who also wore a trench coat over a green outfit... does anyone has an idea of what I am talking about? Sadly that is the only thing I remember about that cartoon and not knowing it's driving me nuts.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I remember a cartoon from the 90's (might have been anime; but I am pretty sure it was an american or Canadian production) in which the main character was a red-headed swordsman who also wore a trench coat over a green outfit... does anyone has an idea of what I am talking about? Sadly that is the only thing I remember about that cartoon and not knowing it's driving me nuts.

Highlander the Animated Series.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    Hm yes it could very well be, if only I could find a trailer to confirm sadly my google fu seems to elude me
    Various reviews all say the film was shot in black and white, so if the film you remember was black and white, it's probably it (how many black and white films featuring time travel as a central element can there be?).

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Wow that was quick, thanks Tiki Snakes.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Wow that was quick, thanks Tiki Snakes.
    Well, from that description, there could be only one.

*Runs and hides*

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I forget, are you based in the UK?

With regard to The Omega Factor, is that was it was actually called? 'Omega factor' and 'anime' throws up a lot of Astroboy links, which probably isn't what it was.

Can you remember the style of the animation(80s, 90s, etc)? It'll give me an idea of what time period to start looking through for dubbed anime (the older it is, the easier to find).
    I would say 80's, though I am not an expert on anime styles, and I am based in Canada. As far as I can remember, yes, that was what they called it in the movie.
    Also, there was a fair bit of nippleless female nudity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Well, from that description, there could be only one.

*Runs and hides*
    aaaand
    /thread.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I would say 80's, though I am not an expert on anime styles, and I am based in Canada. As far as I can remember, yes, that was what they called it in the movie.
    Also, there was a fair bit of nippleless female nudity.
    Sorry, I'm drawing a blank.

Edit: wait a sec, fair bit of nippleless female nudity? Lead male character first seen ogling female tennis players? Sounds suspiciously like an ecchi anime.

There wasn't a large amount of *cough* compromising situations in the show, was there?
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-09-17 at 06:49 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smart_alec View Post
    2. A movie this time. We had it on VHS when I was a kid so I'm guessing it's from the early 80's.

It's about an American stationed in Perth (maybe Darwin, I'm not sure.) during the second world war. And the phrase "Over paid, over sexed and over here." Was coined back then for a reason.

The film's about a big blonde guy getting drunk, fighting and molesting several women with his bunkmate and a simultaneous investigation into a recently discovered serial killer.

You'll never guess who it is.

I'd go into more detail but that's really all there is to it.
    Oh hey, someone else called Smart Alec.

This sounds like Death of a Soldier.
    Last edited by SmartAlec; 2012-09-17 at 11:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm fairly sure the book was talking about hydrogen generation and the presence of a 'float bladder' type organ inside the dragon which allowed it to become lighter than air (or at least light enough to soar).

In the scene from the movie, the older dragon explains that dragons 'eat' gemstones and store them in the craw (a gullet-like section of their digestive tract), to help them grind up and digest the white fire rock (limestone), much like birds eat grit to grind seeds.

The only bit about bones I can remember is the fact they have to be hollow, much like a bird's, and it was reinforced about their head to help protect it.
    Well, I should note that I've only read the book once and that was quite a long time ago, but from what I remember the idea was that the dragons were sort of massive blimp things that were honeycombed with fast-growing bone which was constantly broken down by acids which produced the gases that let them fly. As a side effect, they also needed to regulate the gases in a safe manner, which resulted in fire-breathing. I have no idea what they did in the movie.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    Oh hey, someone else called Smart Alec.

This sounds like Death of a Soldier.
    That's the money.

Thanking you muchly.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

There was this animated series, it was about giant robots piloted by kids with some kind of superpower. Yeah cliche I know. It wasn't hand drawn and it was either cheap as **** or old as **** because RTM was showing it when I was in primary school. That's all I know.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
    There was this animated series, it was about giant robots piloted by kids with some kind of superpower. Yeah cliche I know. It wasn't hand drawn and it was either cheap as **** or old as **** because RTM was showing it when I was in primary school. That's all I know.
    Some idea of what the year was when you were in primary school might help.

Was it dubbed in Chinese, Malaysian or English? Depending on when you were in primary school, it could range from Gundam, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Dual, Macross or anything later.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

2002 - 2007. Can't be 2008 because it was a really stressful year. I would remember it then.

it was dubbed in English surprisingly.

EDIT: cut 2002 and 2003.
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2012-09-18 at 11:49 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Gunbuster II?..

No, it wasn't cheap is ****.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2012-09-18 at 11:51 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, I'm drawing a blank.

Edit: wait a sec, fair bit of nippleless female nudity? Lead male character first seen ogling female tennis players? Sounds suspiciously like an ecchi anime.

There wasn't a large amount of *cough* compromising situations in the show, was there?
    The only one I remember was when Hades sent the main character to where the Queen was and it turned out to be her shower. He immediately went to yell at Hades for this.
    Ranma 1/2 had more nudity than this.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-09-18 at 11:54 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

2002 - 2007. Can't be 2008 because it was a really stressful year. I would remember it then.

it was dubbed in English surprisingly.

EDIT: cut 2002 and 2003.
    Given your age and lack of any other details, I'm going to guess the original run of Evangelion. It'd certainly fall under the old as **** for you and later episodes show their lack of budget, thus the cheap as ****.

Only catch is the 'not hand drawn' - a look on the list of CGI TV series on Wikipedia doesn't throw up anything of interest, which suggests an imported dubbed anime which first came to the US and later sent to Malaysia.

The problem is, a lot of anime has been coloured by computer since about 2000, so whether you're confusing that for 'not hand drawn', I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    The only one I remember was when Hades sent the main character to where the Queen was and it turned out to be her shower. He immediately went to yell at Hades for this.
    Ranma 1/2 had more nudity than this.
    Well the fact it has nudity at all indicates it was definitely anime of some sort.
    Aside from 'Omega Boy', are all the character names accurate?
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-09-18 at 01:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Well the fact it has nudity at all indicates it was definitely anime of some sort.
    Aside from 'Omega Boy', are all the character names accurate?
    As far as I remember, yes. It was a dub, so the names could have been changed in the process.
    I think the hero was from Singapore, strangely enough.
    The explanation was, I think, that the more powerful countries were destroyed first, the hero having woke up all muscled up on a slab of concrete, surrounded by destruction.
    Also, the first princess had a lizard like comrade with her at one point. She and him in little fighters took out a ship they called 'The Goliath', but he died in the process.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-09-18 at 01:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

OH! I wanna post some descriptions! Okay, I got two:

1. This one's an online movie. It's not that long. Like 45 minutes or an hour. It's presented in 3 acts and they even tell you the acts. Anyway, it's a musical, a SING-ALONG, and it's about this DOCTOR who's HORRIBLE. Any, this doctor has a BLOG where he posts stuff. The story's about how the doctor has this stalker-ish crush on this one girl, I think she was in this other online show. And the arch-rival of the doctor - I think he's an admiral or captain or something - starts to date the love interest of the doctor. I have no idea what it's called.
    See what I did there?

2. Okay, this story is about this one character, I think he's the protagonist. The story's mostly about him and he's in most of the scenes and has the most scene time. Like I said, I think he's the protagonist. And he had blonde hair. Or maybe it was red. Though he could have been a brunette. Or he was bald. One of those. Anyway, there's this other character. I think that guy's the antagonist. These two characters don't get along. I think they hate each other, or at least dislike each other. Point is they're not friends the protagonist and antagonist. I also remember there was a conflict. The story definitely had some sort of conflict, then a climax, and a resolution. OH! And an ending. It wasn't one of those never-ending stories. Also, and this part is really important - the release date: it came out in the past. It was definitely made and released in the past. It wasn't one of those future movies. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

No I don't think anybody knows what you're talking about
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

When I was a boy, I watched a movie about two kids and a basset hound (and has a song about it), who got teleported into the world of coloring book. Then they met a woman whose clothes are plain white, in coloring book sense. One of the people they met are a family who dances.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the end, the woman gained her rainbow color on her clothes.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

So nopony has any idea about a fifteen year gone horror movie with old ladies and hellfire? Nopony at all?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    When I was a boy, I watched a movie about two kids and a basset hound (and has a song about it), who got teleported into the world of coloring book. Then they met a woman whose clothes are plain white, in coloring book sense. One of the people they met are a family who dances.
    Quite possibly Wee Sing in Sillyville.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    So nopony has any idea about a fifteen year gone horror movie with old ladies and hellfire? Nopony at all?
    Could do with more information if you can think of any. (Was it a full blown horror film? Any of the actors familiar? etc) as I can't find anything so far.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    God the people on this board are freaking GOOD. It makes me wish I had some half remembered book or movie I could try to mention.
    My ex girlfriend worked at a video store for quite a few years.
    This thread was every working day of her life.

Customer she had one day:
    "I'm looking for... I think it's a film. It's around 30 minutes to 3 hours long, I don't know I wasn't really paying attention and I was stoned at the time. Anyway, it's got that guy, he's got that hair thing going on, darn, what is his name again?
    Anyway, he goes to a place, shoots some guys, explosions, etc. I think there was snow?"
    When she tried to pry for more details, the customer was rather indignant and said something along the lines of 'if you don't know movies why are you working at a movie store'
    As the story goes, she got it in two guesses. Apparently this person was looking for Die Hard 2. Had no idea there was a part 1 and 3, with a part 4 (about that time) heading to theaters.

Then there was the guy who would come in and ask about some cartoon from Poland? Super thick accent that made his english incomprehensible at best, asking about a cartoon from I think the 1970s or 80's, you know, when that thing called The Cold War was going on and practically nothing moved in or out of that area of the world, nevermind culture like cartoons, nevermind that videotape wasn't exactly a thing back then either. And every time he would leave he would walk out swearing.

Ignorant people are funny sometimes.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."