Default Re: "I Saw This Movie One Time, Years Ago...."

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    It's 'True Identity' with Lenny Henry
    Yes it is
    Thank you very much sir/madam

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

When I was a kid, I saw this TV series, it might have only been a mini series though. I think it was broadcast on Sky 1, but I don't remember.

I don't remember much about it, but what I do remember is thus:

Two guys wash up on an island populated by dinosaurs and humans.

An "incorrect" globe (Mounted on an arch, I think.) was pointed out, but was rebuffed, saying that it wasn't.

At least one of the Dinos was smart enough to talk.

There was a wooden submarine, piloted by a British guy. Where the following was said:

One of the main guys: "How long will it take us to get there?"

Pilot: "About an hour and a half"

One of the main guys: "How much air do we have?"

Pilot: "An hour".

The pilot also abandoned the two of them, after they retrived the Sunstones.

Sunstones were an important plot point, located in an underwater cave, I think. Reason for the wooden submarine. I think the sunstones were a replacement for an actual sun.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Sgt Cookie, that sounds a lot like Dinotopia, a 2002 mini-series adapted from an illustrated book of the same name.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

I saw an animated movie in the early 90s, though the movie itself may have been from much earlier. I don't remember much about it except that it was about a war between various factions that seemed to be reminiscent of emotions. The faction of anger was the antagonist.

This may not be from the same movie, but I also remember the protagonist being transported from our world to this world. The world was high fantasy and I think the protagonist was transported there by a wizard to help with their war against anger.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. Thank you! That was it.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    I saw an animated movie in the early 90s, though the movie itself may have been from much earlier. I don't remember much about it except that it was about a war between various factions that seemed to be reminiscent of emotions. The faction of anger was the antagonist.

This may not be from the same movie, but I also remember the protagonist being transported from our world to this world. The world was high fantasy and I think the protagonist was transported there by a wizard to help with their war against anger.
    Hmmm, it wouldn't be Wizards, would it? Just stumbled upon it after Googling your (very interesting) premise. I don't think it likely, as there are no "emotion factions" (apart from that the antagonist seems quite angry ).

But having read the article, I now need to see Wizards for myself. And if yours is another one, I've even got two new movies for my to-watch list. Win-win!

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfall View Post
    Hmmm, it wouldn't be Wizards, would it? Just stumbled upon it after Googling your (very interesting) premise. I don't think it likely, as there are no "emotion factions" (apart from that the antagonist seems quite angry ).

But having read the article, I now need to see Wizards for myself. And if yours is another one, I've even got two new movies for my to-watch list. Win-win!
    Nope. That one doesn't look right, but could be fun to watch. Thanks.

9. - Top - End - #219

If you watch and enjoy Wizards, then you might want to give Fire and Ice a shot as well. Ralph Bakshi (again), only teamed up with Frank Frazetta.

As for the emotion war... how many factions were there? Can you remember any key element from any scene? The 'transported hero' sounds like it may have leaked in from the Den story of Heavy Metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Another literary example, from a book that was read to me when I was very small (my parents read YA and Teen books to me when I was 3-5, since I was reading the standard kiddy fare by myself). The only bit that I remember of it is that the main character, a girl that I believe to have been named Chris, was turned into a chrysanthemum at the end.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Not a movie, but a book...

It was part of a series and I only managed to read part of it.

The basic premise was that a small group of scholars (two or three) had derived the mathematical equation that would allow them to traverse universes at will. The only real catch was that as they would travel to universes, physics would work differently in each one, forcing them to unravel the mysteries of that universe in order to get back home.

For example, when they went to a world of Greek mythology, they discovered that prayers to the Greek gods could have effects deemed "magical" and actually work. It was just a matter of determining the correct "equation" or in this case "prayer."

In another they went to a world which seemed to be based off of Don Quixote, only the supposed hallucinations and fantasy of the titular character were real. One of the scientists refuses to believe that this is anything but the hallucinations of Don Quixote and as a result starts to experience the world as such.

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Not a movie, but a book...
    The Enchanter Reborn. It's part of a mass of collections of short stories driven by L.Sprague de Camp.

I'm still working on the Chrysanthemum one. 'Came across some close calls, but I don't think I've found it with the data that I've been given so far.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a movie I used to watch a lot when I was younger that I'm trying to recall...

All I can remember is that the main character has this pet gorilla, and it saves someone from a broken ferris wheel towards the end of the movie.

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    There's a movie I used to watch a lot when I was younger that I'm trying to recall...

All I can remember is that the main character has this pet gorilla, and it saves someone from a broken ferris wheel towards the end of the movie.
    Sounds like the remake of Mighty Joe Young.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

That's definitely it. Thanks

16. - Top - End - #226
    Colossus in the Playground

I recently recalled a movie that, as a kid, gave me nightmares for a week, just because of one scene.

A fantasy movie, definitely. The protagonist (which I can remember nothing about), for some reason, was chased by death. (Or at least met him several times). All the scenes with death were creepy to kindergarten me, but he looked different every time. The scene that gave me the nightmares was when death was suddenly some kind of gigantic, winged figure with a skull face that burst out of either a cathedral or a stature (of death, as that figure).

The movie, overall, probably wasn't meant to be scary, it was just that at that time, I was massively afraid of anything featuring slkulls. There was probably some kind of fantastic journey?

Sorry for being incredibly vague.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I recently recalled a movie that, as a kid, gave me nightmares for a week, just because of one scene.

A fantasy movie, definitely. The protagonist (which I can remember nothing about), for some reason, was chased by death. (Or at least met him several times). All the scenes with death were creepy to kindergarten me, but he looked different every time. The scene that gave me the nightmares was when death was suddenly some kind of gigantic, winged figure with a skull face that burst out of either a cathedral or a stature (of death, as that figure).

The movie, overall, probably wasn't meant to be scary, it was just that at that time, I was massively afraid of anything featuring slkulls. There was probably some kind of fantastic journey?

Sorry for being incredibly vague.
    I'm going to start by tossing out a movie called, simply, Grim Reaper. This one's unlikely as it was most certainly meant to be scary and was only released fie years ago.

But it may give you some points of differential reference that can help narrow this down. How does your movie differ from this one?

18. - Top - End - #228

Hm. It would have to be at least fifteen years old. Twenty or more is more likely. And I'm reasonably sure it wasn't set in modern times, but somewhere between late medieval and early 19th century. The problem is, really, I forgot the entire movie, except for two or three scenes with Death in them.

Edit: and hte protagonist was male.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-12-11 at 05:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

When I was a boy, I watched a live action movie about small people version of Romeo and Juliet. The two families had an army that fought eachother in a man's backyard. One family (montagues) has ragged and leafy armor while another family (capulets) had shining and clean armor. When they get killed, they turned into shining dust. One scene has Montagues invading a castle with the help of the trees.
    Do you know what this movie is?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    When I was a boy, I watched a live action movie about small people version of Romeo and Juliet. The two families had an army that fought eachother in a man's backyard. One family (montagues) has ragged and leafy armor while another family (capulets) had shining and clean armor. When they get killed, they turned into shining dust. One scene has Montagues invading a castle with the help of the trees.
    Do you know what this movie is?
    You guys are brutal. Could this one be The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns?

I'd have expected you to remember Randy Quaid and Whoopie Goldberg if so.

I feel like I should know the 'death' one. It wasn't Time Bandits, was it?

21. - Top - End - #231
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Originally Posted by TheFallenOne
    A second one, hopefully easier. Mother is driving through the night with her teenage daughter. The daughter listens to some creepy Indian music until the mother makes her stop. At a rest, she somehow loses her daughter. When the police is called her (ex?)husband says I think they have no daughter and the woman is just imagining her. Didn't see much else of the movie. I mostly want to find that music again cause it really was a bit creepy.

Sorry if this has been dealt with already - its not the forgotton is it?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Hm. It would have to be at least fifteen years old. Twenty or more is more likely. And I'm reasonably sure it wasn't set in modern times, but somewhere between late medieval and early 19th century. The problem is, really, I forgot the entire movie, except for two or three scenes with Death in them.

Edit: and hte protagonist was male.
    It's not The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, is it? Death appears as a massive grim reaper with wings close to the end.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    You guys are brutal. Could this one be The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns?

I'd have expected you to remember Randy Quaid and Whoopie Goldberg if so.

I feel like I should know the 'death' one. It wasn't Time Bandits, was it?
    Yes, it matches the one we are looking for.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Would have been better if the gardener made himself a king and made the two family as his baron, without any "magna carta" for noble power.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Eldan, it wouldn't happen to be The Frighteners would it? Micheal J. Fox gets chased around by a Grim Reaperish ghost and it was made in 1997.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jyrnn View Post
    Eldan, it wouldn't happen to be The Frighteners would it? Micheal J. Fox gets chased around by a Grim Reaperish ghost and it was made in 1997.
    That was set in modern times though. I guess we'll have to wait until Eldan gets back with more info.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    Originally Posted by TheFallenOne
    A second one, hopefully easier. Mother is driving through the night with her teenage daughter. The daughter listens to some creepy Indian music until the mother makes her stop. At a rest, she somehow loses her daughter. When the police is called her (ex?)husband says I think they have no daughter and the woman is just imagining her. Didn't see much else of the movie. I mostly want to find that music again cause it really was a bit creepy.

Sorry if this has been dealt with already - its not the forgotton is it?
    99% sure I've seen this reviewed/analysed on Channel Awesome... maybe by Phelous?

Some reason I think the twist is
    Spoiler
    Show
    crappy vampires

edit: yay for the Channel Awesome Wiki. The movie I'm thinking of is "Octane" or "Pulse" from 2003. Phelous did a whole run of movies all called 'pulse'.
    Pretty sure this is the movie in question.
    Last edited by Badgerish; 2012-12-13 at 08:53 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    It's not The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, is it? Death appears as a massive grim reaper with wings close to the end.
    I bet this one is it -- I knew I remembered something similar to it. Here's an image of one of death's appearances in that film.

Spoiler
    Show

Google searches will bring up an image of the statue it breaks out of at the end, but unfortunately the linked site isn't responding. Which means I can't post it here.

Ooh. It's now resolving itself. So the statue image has been added to the spoilered section.
    Last edited by Fragenstein; 2012-12-13 at 09:24 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerish View Post
    99% sure I've seen this reviewed/analysed on Channel Awesome... maybe by Phelous?

Some reason I think the twist is
    Spoiler
    Show
    crappy vampires

edit: yay for the Channel Awesome Wiki. The movie I'm thinking of is "Octane" or "Pulse" from 2003. Phelous did a whole run of movies all called 'pulse'.
    Pretty sure this is the movie in question.
    That's it actually found it with your first clue before the edit and just finished watching it. Rather disappointing sadly.

Now if someone can identify the Sega Megadrive game I described earlier I'll be a happy camper...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

29. - Top - End - #239

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Hm... could be. Maybe. I don't think I ever saw that one, and none of the screenshots I can find look familiar, but then I was very young and forgot most of it. Guess I'll have to hunt it down and watch it.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-12-13 at 11:42 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240

MonkGuy

Can anyone identify this one?

It was an animated film I only saw the end of, back in the 1980s (or possibly 90s).

All I remember was that it was about Robin Hood (or he was a major character at least). There was also a Black Knight, who despite the normal trope, was actually one of the good guys (or at least had become a good guy by the time I started watching).

One of the villains was a witch, who died at the end when the castle she was in burned down.