New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "I Saw This Movie One Time, Years Ago...."

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Can anyone identify this one?

It was an animated film I only saw the end of, back in the 1980s (or possibly 90s).

All I remember was that it was about Robin Hood (or he was a major character at least). There was also a Black Knight, who despite the normal trope, was actually one of the good guys (or at least had become a good guy by the time I started watching).

One of the villains was a witch, who died at the end when the castle she was in burned down.
    A quick search of Robin hood related animated movies gives me two possibilities: Ivanhoe (1986) which was a TV movie and a series Young Robin Hood (1991).

The only image I can find for the former is this: link.

The other one is this: link (German).
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-12-18 at 06:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    I saw an animated movie in the early 90s, though the movie itself may have been from much earlier. I don't remember much about it except that it was about a war between various factions that seemed to be reminiscent of emotions. The faction of anger was the antagonist.

This may not be from the same movie, but I also remember the protagonist being transported from our world to this world. The world was high fantasy and I think the protagonist was transported there by a wizard to help with their war against anger.
    Hm, the "transporting the protagonist from our world to theirs" reminds me of The Flight of Dragons. It's not that, is it?

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    always accepting players

3. - Top - End - #243

An oldish (80's?), oriental (hong kong?) martial arts movie, with a young jacki chan... it is oe of the comedy ones, and at one point he has to fight a (strong but a bit lazy?) apprentice of some guy or other, and the other guy fights with a wooden stool/sawhorse looking thing.

Also, jackie might have climbed a rope in an L sit position and climbed between two walls in an outstretched hands-and-feet-points-of-contact style.

There may or may not also have been a bit where some guy has about five swords on his back and fights his way up an alley by throwing about 5,000 swords between stabbings. Maybe a dragony/lizard-type-monster too, but this could be a different film entirely mixed in with the memory.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    An oldish (80's?), oriental (hong kong?) martial arts movie, with a young jacki chan...
    Anything else you remember? An old HK martial arts comedy with Jackie Chan doesn't narrow it down much, I'm afraid.
    It does sound like one of the 'traditional' ones, so let's throw out Drunken Master as a starting point.

There may or may not also have been a bit where some guy has about five swords on his back and fights his way up an alley by throwing about 5,000 swords between stabbings. Maybe a dragony/lizard-type-monster too, but this could be a different film entirely mixed in with the memory.
    The first part is Jet Li from Fong Sai Yuk 2, if you're sure about the alley way, otherwise it could be Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain.

No idea on the dragon/lizard monster, unless you're mixing it up with something like The Storm Riders.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Colossus in the Playground

Maybe City Hunter. Was there a Street Fighter battle?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Maybe City Hunter. Was there a Street Fighter battle?
    No wooden stool/bench used as an improvised weapon in that one.

Should I be worried that I know that?

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Anything else you remember? An old HK martial arts comedy with Jackie Chan doesn't narrow it down much, I'm afraid.
    It does sound like one of the 'traditional' ones, so let's throw out Drunken Master as a starting point.

The first part is Jet Li from Fong Sai Yuk 2, if you're sure about the alley way, otherwise it could be Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain.

No idea on the dragon/lizard monster, unless you're mixing it up with something like The Storm Riders.
    Reading the wikipedia bits doesn't ring any bells, sorry.

I think the possibly lazy but strong stool fighting opponent wore a black gi with yellow trim, maybe sleeveless (or i might just be confusing him with the cobra kai kids).

2nd film wasn't the Jet Li one, the swords guy had a giant vampire-collar looking scabbard thing with his 5 swords in.

If it helps i probably watched them on the british channel 4 in some kung-fu film season, sometime between 1993-1999 (i'd go with 94-96 as most likely).
    Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 2012-12-20 at 05:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

2nd film wasn't the Jet Li one, the swords guy had a giant vampire-collar looking scabbard thing with his 5 swords in.

If it helps i probably watched them on the british channel 4 in some kung-fu film season, sometime between 1993-1999 (i'd go with 94-96 as most likely).
    Did you check out Brother Oni's second choice 'Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain' as the sword thing could match one of the Masters from that and I first saw that on Channel 4 in the time period you suggested as part of a film season of Kung Fu films chosen and presented by Jonathan Ross
    ( bless him for introducing me to Kung Fu movies)
    I also believe there's a Western cut of the movie that horrible shoves bits in to try to make it more 'acceptable' to Western audiences
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

9. - Top - End - #249

I couldn't get much of anything from the wikipedia page close to knowing if it was the film or not; the poster didn't look particularly relevent though! 5swordsguy could have teamed up with some others to fight the dragon thing, but i'm sure he tooke the alley alone.

EDIT: i just googled it hoping to get some images for recognition, but there are clips and even the whole film on youtube! Sad to say, it's definately not it - there were no teasing fish or twin sword flying lightsaber guys in the film i'm recalling!

Also, forgot to say but that Jonathan Ross bit was pretty cool, like the old manga film seasons that were on bravo at about ridiculous o'clock in the morning. I think you were right about him.
    Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 2012-12-20 at 07:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

When I was 12, I read a couple of pages from a manga that impressed me.
    There was this chick whose skin was covered in mathematical equations.
    And there was this guy who used his powers to "flatten" people (it looked like his attacks had the same effect of a steamroller driving over them), than rolling said people in something resembling a sushi roll, and eating it whole.
    He also did that to the chick in question, IIRC.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

I think the possibly lazy but strong stool fighting opponent wore a black gi with yellow trim, maybe sleeveless (or i might just be confusing him with the cobra kai kids).
    Cobra Kai kids, I'm afraid. I can think of gi wearing opponents appearing a couple times in various HK films, but they've always been white.

Edit 2: In light of my later realisation, you may be mistaking the opponent's magistrate's uniform for a gi.

Definitely a fantasy wuxia film then. As comicshorse said, it helps that you know when you saw it, the only problem is none of the films I remember being showcased by Jonathan Ross matches that well.

Off the top of my head, the movies were 'Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain', 'A Chinese Ghost Story' (I think), 'Mr Vampire', 'Rouge', 'Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind' and another ghost love story one set in modern times that I can't remember the name of.

The right genre movies would be 'Zu Warriors' or maybe 'A Chinese Ghost Story' at a stretch but I don't remember any sword users in that one.

Edit: Thinking about it some more, your first movie could be Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind as there's a fight between the protagonist using a wooden bench/stool against the antagonist and his men, but it does mean you've mistaken Sammo Hung for Jackie Chan (they're good mates, but still... ).

There's also a memorable fight between Sammo and the lazy apprentice of a wizard, although they were both possessed at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelSacha View Post
    When I was 12, I read a couple of pages from a manga that impressed me.
    There was this chick whose skin was covered in mathematical equations.
    And there was this guy who used his powers to "flatten" people (it looked like his attacks had the same effect of a steamroller driving over them), than rolling said people in something resembling a sushi roll, and eating it whole.
    He also did that to the chick in question, IIRC.
    Orion by Masamune Shirow.

The guy was the main protagonist/antagonist, a god named Susano (referencing the Japanese mythological god Susanno no miko). He did it to the heroine as a particular spell had been inscribed on her skin and he needed it for safe keeping.

The only manga that I've read that I had to get reference books to understand the underlying technobabble.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-12-21 at 03:40 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252

After doing some googling, Jonathan Ross did a chinese ghost story series oer christmas 1990... the first film (jackie chan vs lazy strong stool fighter) wasn't a ghost film, although the second (5swords vs alley/dragon) may have been - although 1990 is too early i think, i would've been 7 so probably not staying up all night watching films, and i don't remember it being christmas. It could've been some other movie season, or even some other channel! Sorry!!

If it helps, now i'm thinking about it more the stool guy fight happened on some grass, near a hedgerow and maybe a little stream. Jackie Chan MAY have started the film joining a dragon-dance type thing where two teams dance-battled up some pole steps and got something at the top, possibly a 'best school' award or something... but this could have been from another film entirely.

EDIT: Just been watching some obscure youtube jackie chan trailers, the i got bored so i started picking the popular ones, and would you believe it the is a scene in drunken master where jackie chan wears a sleeveless black outfit and fights using a wooden stool... i think i may have overlooked the obvious here!

Also found a pretty handy thread on kungfucinema about what filme were on british tv and when, might be helpful for anyone else with childhood memories.
    Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 2012-12-21 at 06:50 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Jackie Chan MAY have started the film joining a dragon-dance type thing where two teams dance-battled up some pole steps and got something at the top, possibly a 'best school' award or something... but this could have been from another film entirely.
    A film opening with two opposing lion dance teams trying to get a prize sounds supiciously like one of the Once Upon A Time in China (3 or 4 I think), but that's Jet Li.
    Last Hero in China (again Jet Li) has a dragon (well centipede) dance competition as a major part of the plot.

I'm running out of ideas... you may have to trawl through Jackie Chan's filmography to figure it out.

Edit: Cool, you found it!
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-12-21 at 06:59 AM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

Whoa! You're good.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelSacha View Post
    Whoa! You're good.
    It was the 'girl with equations, then rolling her flat and eating her whole' that was the main clue. Not many works that I can think of, feature that.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, I have a harder one.

A cartoon I watched when I was a child in the '80s, early '90s at most.
    Probably made in the USA.
    It kind of had the same style of G.I.Joe and M.A.S.K., but with a "magic" twist.

Good guys and bad guys both had standards with summoning powers.
    Each standard would call a different beast, but the heroes/villains needed to recite some limerick in order to activate it.

I've forgotten pretty much everything else about it.
    Last edited by ManuelSacha; 2012-12-23 at 11:56 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

ManuelSacha,I could be wrong but it sounds like it could be Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light. Also it seems someone has uploaded the whole series on youtube here.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Bugbear in the Playground

Visionaries... one of my favorite cartoons from the 80's.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

Cool.
    Thanks guys.
    In my country, these are a rarity.
    I didn't watch more than 2 or 3 episodes myself... and NONE of the people my age has any memory of this show.
    They were probably on for like... half a season.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

(Just registered to be able to post this:)

There was a series of western animation I used to watch in (perhaps) the early 1990's, most likely on the Super Channel. The protagonists were a group of kids - mostly teenagers, at least one smaller boy - who got teleported to a high fantasy world (I remember thinking how similar to AD&D 2nd edition it was) from a fairground or something.

They all got turned into fantasy characters with magic items, e.g. girl with magic bow shooting arrows of fire, smart guy turned wizard with a magic hat to pull useful tings out of, small boy turned to little barbarian with a club his size.

There might have been an overarcing plot of the kids getting home but mostly they travelled around and fought monsters, with the biggest and baddest monster being a fiveheaded dragon, its heads corresponding to the D&D evil dragon colour scheme.

Anyway, I would appreciate if any of you could supply me with the title of this show! :)
    "Morituri Nolumus Mori!"

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reliknom View Post
    (Just registered to be able to post this:)

There was a series of western animation I used to watch in (perhaps) the early 1990's, most likely on the Super Channel. The protagonists were a group of kids - mostly teenagers, at least one smaller boy - who got teleported to a high fantasy world (I remember thinking how similar to AD&D 2nd edition it was) from a fairground or something.

They all got turned into fantasy characters with magic items, e.g. girl with magic bow shooting arrows of fire, smart guy turned wizard with a magic hat to pull useful tings out of, small boy turned to little barbarian with a club his size.

There might have been an overarcing plot of the kids getting home but mostly they travelled around and fought monsters, with the biggest and baddest monster being a fiveheaded dragon, its heads corresponding to the D&D evil dragon colour scheme.

Anyway, I would appreciate if any of you could supply me with the title of this show! :)
    Was it this? The picture matches your description.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...eonsAndDragons
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

22. - Top - End - #262
    Orc in the Playground

Dungeons & Dragons (the animated series)

EDIT: ninja'd. Ninjas everywhere. I blame the Monkey Southern God.
    Last edited by ManuelSacha; 2012-12-27 at 09:58 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks, no wonder it had a D&D wibe! :D
    "Morituri Nolumus Mori!"

24. - Top - End - #264

I recall another movie about a couple being stuck in the middle of the ocean. I'd like it if someone can name the movie. I'm afraid of googling it because then I'd probably have the end spoiled (damn you, Buried). Sounds like it could be really good.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pita View Post
    I recall another movie about a couple being stuck in the middle of the ocean. I'd like it if someone can name the movie. I'm afraid of googling it because then I'd probably have the end spoiled (damn you, Buried). Sounds like it could be really good.
    Anything more than that ? Were the couple old or young ? Do you remember who played them ? How they came to be stuck ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pita View Post
    Were they on a boat? The only movie I can think of without a boat is Open Water where a couple on a SCUBA dive were left stranded in the middle of the ocean.

With a boat will require more details.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Colossus in the Playground

Based on a true story :D

28. - Top - End - #268
    Orc in the Playground

There was this cartoon, probably a Japanese anime, I'd say from the '90s (or maybe '80s, but it's unlikely).

It was about a modern day boy who was secretly a ninja.
    He dressed in a "stereotypical" black or dark blue ninja suit.

Then he met this girl and somehow ended up revealing his secret to her (or maybe she accidentally found out?). And then she insisted wanting to follow him on his... uhmm... ninja adventures. So the boy gives her another ninja suit, but this one is pink instead (he said it used to belong to his mother).

And then they climb a wall or something. Maybe at one point she falls, or maybe I'm confusing that scene with something else.

29. - Top - End - #269

Does anyone know this?
    A animated film, probably Disney, the main character is a blind young man. Also features a small, two-headed dragon, lots of bigger dragons, an evil fighter who upgrades his men with some kind of potion into somewhat medieval cyborgs, and a chicken with an axe/helmet for a head. I'm pretty certain all this is one film, but not sure. I remember watching this when I was younger, and loving it. Any help would be appreciated.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    Does anyone know this?
    A animated film, probably Disney, the main character is a blind young man. Also features a small, two-headed dragon, lots of bigger dragons, an evil fighter who upgrades his men with some kind of potion into somewhat medieval cyborgs, and a chicken with an axe/helmet for a head. I'm pretty certain all this is one film, but not sure. I remember watching this when I was younger, and loving it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quest for Camelot. I only know this 'cause of the Nostalgia Critic review of it, never actually seen it.