New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: [FO:E] The Northern Wasteland of Equestria 1

[Manehatten - Stable 29]

That's a pleasant arrival sight. Does it count as horrifying to see Rye getting sick over there?
    Probably.

Enough for her to wrinkle her nose at least.

Which is most of what she's doing, while she comports herself to get out of the way.
    It wouldn't do to still be sitting around when Swiss and Vinyl reach the end of the slide. Pretty clever to leave pillows...

The pegasus pauses, halfway to getting off the cushions, staring down at where her hoof sits over a little design.
    There's a sort of half-throttled squawk from her, vaguely similar to the one that Swiss drew out upon touching her.

Only instead of jumping up into the air, she just freezes.
    Staring.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

[Spring near Girdershade]

...Oh. Oops. Best not to emphasize uncomfortable topics like that.

"Sorry, Gleamy. That can't be a nice way to live."

Xithr sighs.

"I'm old, Gleam. Really, really old. Old enough to have memories of life was like before the war. I've lived in this wasteland since the bombs dropped, and I've learned a lot in that time. If you want to know something, all you have to do is ask and I'll answer truthfully."

3. - Top - End - #333
    Dwarf in the Playground

[GirderShed]

Violetta didn't completely understand. "Why do I need a fake past? I'm not an outcast or something, am I? I'm just... I don't even know, but I'm sure I'm not problematic. Oh well, I could probably claim to be a sorceress who was supposed to oversee things. It's actually pretty likely.

"So, for factions, you've basically got evil types, evil types, more evil types, and straight-out mercenaries. I suppose it's a bit early to found our own little group, though, so we'll just have to wait until we can find someone decent."

She paused to take a drink. "Thanks. Anyway, are there any cities you know how to get to from here? It's not really worth trekking across half the world just to get lost."
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

[GirderShed - Unimaginably Sad He Didn't Think of the Pun]

Fleetwing scratched his chin, opting to take those remarks in order: "It ain't because you're an outcast, it's to keep ponies from takin' advantage of you. If a pony found out you didn't have a memory, odds are, he'd try to use that against you somehow." He blinked, realizing what he just said. "Uh, not to say that I've been doing that, just...I guess you got lucky this time. *ahem* Anyway, if folks just think you're a Stable filly, that tells them you can handle yourself."

"If there are any decent ones, we didn't hear about them back home. Only flank-...er, jerks and such came by our place." For some reason, cussing around her seemed wrong. Like he was taking even more of her innocence and dashing it away.

"I'm not bad at navigating, so if I can get just a general idea of where we are, I can get us to one of the closer cities." He pulled out his little notebook and flipped to the first set of pages, where a crude map was drawn. Emphasis on "crude". More helpful were the pages of notes that followed; landmarks, directions, and other such helpful navigation tips. "Let's see...for Northern cities, we got Fillydelphia and Manehatten to the East, Tall Tale and Vanhoover to the West. Provided we aren't smack in the middle of nowhere, we ought to be able to narrow it down based on which ones are closer. Anything about those cities ring a bell?"
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Manehatten - Stable 29]

Scratch seems to have neatly avoided running into Down and goes about the actions previously mentioned oblivious to the discomfort her choice in decoration in having on her visitors.

And speaking of being touched by Swiss...

"Look out!"

The changeling will be crashing headlong into Down unless she heeds the warning and gets out of the way in a hurry.

Rye seems... shaky... But she's done vomiting for now. She's seen some nasty stuff in her days. Mostly relating to Raiders. But this... the casual indifference of it combined with the innocence, feigned or not, makes for a positively disturbing contrast.

Corn seems to be taking it all the best.

"Well we're mighty thankyful fer lettin' us use yer hideout, Scratch."

The sudden change in posture suggest the foalbot would probably be smiling if she still had a mouth. "Hey! Wanna hear some of my music?"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Firbolg in the Playground

Manehatten - Office of Robotic Danger

Meanwhile, Scoops is tucked away hopefully out of sensor range ready to spring. Having a password that actually worked would be too convenient. Have to be ready to slice some robo-sprites.

Speaking of which, she hasn't seen any living tainted ones. One must wonder if they're extinct... well hopefully, since the mutated flies didn't turn out so well.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

7. - Top - End - #337

[Manehatten - MoM Hub]

Probably extinct. The sorts of food they favored are kind of... gone. For the most part. Not much left for them to feed on. Just watch out for those carnivorous sprites... those things are nasty.

Anywho!

The spritebot swarm just hangs in the air for a few moments. Probably processing that information. And it isn't too long before they decide on an answer.

"Your password is out of date! Surrender and be vaporized Zebra scum!"

Welp.

Fighting time.

The spritebots open fire with a flurry of tiny bolts of magical energy! The weapons aren't very powerful on their own. But given the number of sprites they'll add up in a hurry.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-10-12 at 12:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Manehatten - MoM Hub

"AH AIN'T A DAMNED ZEBRA!!" Sergeant Sprinkles roars indignantly, leveling his flamer-arm with the swarm and bathing a good few of them in a ~fwoosh~ of burning petroleum.

He begins to quickly backpedal, hovering in reverse towards cover while pouring fire on the little robot bastards. "Ow ow ow ow ow," Sprinkles grunts in an annoyed deadpan as their small magical beams plink and zing off his armored chassis, scoring the paint and creating cascades of sparks and sparkles.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

9. - Top - End - #339

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post

...Oh. Oops. Best not to emphasize uncomfortable topics like that.

"Sorry, Gleamy. That can't be a nice way to live."

Xithr sighs.

"I'm old, Gleam. Really, really old. Old enough to have memories of life was like before the war. I've lived in this wasteland since the bombs dropped, and I've learned a lot in that time. If you want to know something, all you have to do is ask and I'll answer truthfully."
    Gleamy perks up
    "...You do?
    ....I don't know what exactly to ask...Earliest clear memory I have is the bright flash, I think; but I do think I remember some bit of things, I think from before, I only remember things about.... Friendship and that... Mostly ideals, but I think they're all I have to strive for right now... At least from before that flash"
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #340

Manehatten - Don't Feed the robo-sprites

"Go loud!" Whadda shouts as Sprinkles decides he can't burn them all in one go. She takes a couple of hit-and-run dives at the swarm slicing robots in half before retreating to relative safety.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

Manehatten Ruins-Horseshoe Tower-Ministry of Morale-32th Floor- 10:55 am

Fox Trot

I blindly fired towards where I saw one of those sprite bots and then hid behind the desk, I brought my cuff towards my mouth just in case.

12. - Top - End - #342

[Manehatten - Mom Hub]

Pew pew pew go the spritebots! Flame throwers and bullets don't make them very happy. The sword is... well... seems like a really low tech weapon of choice for a Steel Ranger. But what are you gunna do? The weapon manages to wing one of the bots and dumps it on the ground.

Blackbeak opens fire into the swarm of bots with her mini gun whilst Sven (we shall name him Sven!) lobs a blob of plasma into the swarm. The ionized, electrically charged gas proves to disagree with the tiny robots something fierce and sends a fair number dropping tot he ground twitching.

Good job everypony! It looks like you're wi-

Oh. Wait. More bots are still pouring out of the holes in the ceiling. And they're moving to flank our heroes. Wuh oh!

13. - Top - End - #343

Manehatten - Don't feed the Para-bots

Hey, energized combat blades that ARE high-tech are rare and would be paladin-level stuff anyway. For now she's got a sword... it happens to be relatively fancy but whatever.

Scoops takes a couple of glances from para-bots to the armor, not hurting much at all. She takes another dive past the swarm, cutting at it on the way to the griffons for cover.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Xithr's in a section of the pool where she can comfortably stand with her head above the water, which is probably a good thing. A tear drops from one of her eyes, though only one tear duct seems to actually be functional.

"...That's something precious, Gleam. No matter the path you trot in the future, keep the elements of harmony fresh in your mind, and you will be spared the worst of what our world has to offer.

The greatest evil of the Wasteland isn't the radiation. It isn't the taint, the raiders, the slavers, the Unity, the Hellhounds, the Enclave, Red Eye, the miscellaneous monsters, or even the Stars. The worst thing in the wasteland is that the day-to-day struggle, the challenges that exist even to survive, wear down upon the virtues of everypony.

I remember a time, before the war even began, that ponies and zebras alike lived in harmony with one another, and the elements could be found everywhere you looked. In the wasteland, you would be fortunate to encounter a living thing that hasn't forsaken its virtues. Of all the things I've encountered in my long life, none pain me quite so much as the sight of so many who have simply given up."

The Ghoul shakes her head to clear it a moment, and takes on a much cheerier tone as she quickly changes the subject.

"Still, if you think of anything you'd like to ask, my offer remains open!"

15. - Top - End - #345
    Dwarf in the Playground

[GirderShed - Hey, You Know How I Am About Puns]

Violetta concentrated her mind, but couldn't come up with anything special about the cities. "I've got nothing. We'll just have to head for the closest one.

"I suppose there are unscrupulous types who might try to give me a fake past to suit their needs. I'll just have to rely on records to piece together who I really am. In the meantime, I'll need to figure out a good title for myself that suits my powers."

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

[GirderShed - I suppose you're a real pundit then?]

Fleetwing gave the filly an odd look. "Uh...title? What're you talking about?" He was starting to wonder just what her definition of "complete memory loss" was. If he got conked on the head, would he start trying to become a duke or some such? "I actually meant to ask you about that; you got any memory of what magic you can use? I got a gun," he patted his Peashooter fondly, "but it's not like I can go and use it if I ain't got a hammer. Not quite as handy as spells."
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-13 at 03:07 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Dwarf in the Playground

[GirderShed - Ow! I Guess I Had That One Coming]

"Of course! An individual of importance needs a proper title to convey that, and I most likely am of importance." Violetta gestured to her outfit. "Ordinary ponies don't wear this kind of thing, do they?"

She considered for a bit. "I'm not quite sure what my powers are, but maybe I can get them to come back to me. I still have my mark, so I should still have some spells, at least... Do you have any ideas for testing this?"

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

[GirderShed]

Fleetwing gave her outfit another look; to tell the truth, it didn't look like something an ordinary pony would wear. More like a performer, or a lunatic. Maybe both. But the faux nobility would certainly explain her uppity-ness...

"I ain't no magic expert," he flared his wings for emphasis, "but maybe we should wait to experiment until we're not near anything we don't mind damaging. This ain't exactly our shed to beat up." He poked his head out the shed door, noting the light level. If they were going to go for that truck today, they'd have to leave soon. Violetta had at least a basic understanding of the state of the Wasteland, and he could always answer more questions later. "Hmm. We could go out a ways from town, start heading towards that Sparkle Cola truck, and then try casting spells at things once we're clear. What do you think? Have any more questions, or do you feel ready enough to head out?"

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

Manehatten Ruins-Horseshoe Tower-Ministry of Morale-32th Floor- 10:55 am

Fox Trot

And up went my shield! I activated my shield via the cufflink with my teeth as a shimmering small dome surrounded me. Nothing could get through, but, on the downside nothing could go through, so I couldn't shoot at nothing. I did take the time to start reloading my gun with the regular bullets, better than nothing.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Manehatten - MoM Hub

Sergeant Sprinkles breaks cover. "Best defense is a good offense!" he snarls, charging the newly arriving robo-sprites. He unleashes another gout of flame on them, and snaps off a magical energy blast. He shrugs off a few of the energy beams being hurled his direction, and begins to raise and flail some of his manipulator limbs to block and absorb the worst hits. He hurls himself within melee range, and while he continues to bathe and blast the robots with his ranged weapons, he fires up his sawblade and begins to slash and whir it into the hovering foes.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Dwarf in the Playground

[GirderShed]

"As you wish. I feel like I need to do something. Just sitting here isn't getting us quite as far as actually going out and seeing things will." Violetta smiled. "Lead the way."

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

GirderShed - Departing

Fleetwing gave his wings and legs one last, gooooooooooood stretch on the mattress, before picking himself up and straightening his holster. "Aye, you got that right. Gabbin' ain't much a replacement for actually going and seeing."

And with that, he led the unicorn out from Girdershade, heading in the direction of the Sparkle Cola truck. If they found a nice clearing for magic practice, they'd stop there first.

[Tag: Lycan]

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Leaving Girdershade

They're in the middle of the Equestrian Wasteland. The landscape around them is mostly dry dirt and coarse prairie grass, with the occasional rock, piece of scrap metal, craggy hillside, or fire-blasted tree. The whole world around them is basically one giant clearing.

Finding a place to practice magic will be... easy.

24. - Top - End - #354

[Manehatten - MoM Hub]

The spritebots keep coming! It seems for every one of the nasty little machines that get shot down four more drop out of the holes in the ceiling. Standing and fighting isn't working! There's got to be something else they can do!

Pew pew pew go the energy beams!

The tiny bolts of magic really aren't that powerful on their own. But the damage from them can add up. And as horrifyingly enough-

"GAH!" Blackbeak cries out as her body glows neon pink before crumbling into a heap of smouldering pastel ash.

-they still have a small chance of dusting the target.

"BLACKBEAK!" Sven roars, rage consuming his features as he cranks up the power on his plasma cannon. "YOU SONS OF A MULE KILLED BLACKBEAK!"

And with that he launches a full-powered plasma burst at the cieling. The projectile detonates with a sound like thunder, hurling many of the bots to the ground and frying electronics.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

(^Yeesh. And this is why I need to have pony on standby to cheer myself up after bits like that. )

Clearing near Girdershade

After trotting a good distance from town, Fleetwing picked a nice spot for Violetta. It had both rocks and grass for testing spells on living and non-living things, it was far enough away that they likely wouldn't harm the little settlement, low enough that they wouldn't attract unwanted attention, and perhaps most importantly, it had a big rock for him to hide behind.

It was from behind said rock he motioned for Violetta (whom he placed a good distance away) to go ahead. "Alright! Now just...do magicky things and see what happens. I'll be supervisin' from over here," he shouted over.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Magic Science Clearing]

Violetta looked around. "All right, this looks like a good enough place. Now, where to start? Let's see..."

The first thing she did was concentrate on the essence within her, trying to channel it. This might not have been the best way to go about it, because she started to feel nauseous. Very, very nauseous. Followed by a strange burning sensation.

She dropped to her knees, gasping. The power was still stirring inside her, struggling to be released, and now she had to figure out what to do with it while fighting this fiery pain...

Fiery? That's... that's it!

With a cry, she shot a small bolt of flame from her horn that streaked past Fleetwing's hiding place. Then, gradually, she returned to normal. The pain and dizziness faded a bit. Only the power remained.

After a moment of hesitation, she turned to Fleetwing and smiled. "Well, I've figured out one of my capabilities, at least."

27. - Top - End - #357

Manehatten - Don't feed the para-bots

"Need an explosive!" Whadda explains coming up with a plan. Simply put, she describes it to the rest of the group. "Blow up the vents."

Unfortunately the Talon seems to have been ashed and therefore his gear went with him. Her comrade is going revenge-berserk too. Hopefully Fox or Sprinkles has something to boom. Meanwhile, Scoops takes another swipe at the bots before taking partial cover behind the bubble shield.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #358

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Xithr's in a section of the pool where she can comfortably stand with her head above the water, which is probably a good thing. A tear drops from one of her eyes, though only one tear duct seems to actually be functional.

"...That's something precious, Gleam. No matter the path you trot in the future, keep the elements of harmony fresh in your mind, and you will be spared the worst of what our world has to offer.

The greatest evil of the Wasteland isn't the radiation. It isn't the taint, the raiders, the slavers, the Unity, the Hellhounds, the Enclave, Red Eye, the miscellaneous monsters, or even the Stars. The worst thing in the wasteland is that the day-to-day struggle, the challenges that exist even to survive, wear down upon the virtues of everypony.

I remember a time, before the war even began, that ponies and zebras alike lived in harmony with one another, and the elements could be found everywhere you looked. In the wasteland, you would be fortunate to encounter a living thing that hasn't forsaken its virtues. Of all the things I've encountered in my long life, none pain me quite so much as the sight of so many who have simply given up."

The Ghoul shakes her head to clear it a moment, and takes on a much cheerier tone as she quickly changes the subject.

"Still, if you think of anything you'd like to ask, my offer remains open!"
    [Spring near nowhere]

The alicorn just goes to a deeper spot, accidentally slipping once and dipping her head in, then just coming out, still catloafing but with her head poking out, a bit confused

"I....Don't know what else to ask....I got many questions ye I don't know to ask for them....But it seems at least that what I remember is worth striving for then.... I just need to... I don't know" She seemed pretty lost now

[Tag: BladeofObliviom]
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-10-14 at 02:18 PM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

[Stand Back; We're Going to Science it]

Fleetwing's trembling form sloooowly emerged from behind the rock. It was hard to tell if he was nodding, or simply scared out of his wits. "Y-y-y-y-yeah, th-that's a g-g-good 'un. Maybe try...not aimin' at me n-n-next time?" He grinned nervously and ducked back behind cover. "Th-that ring a-any more b-bells? Maybe you c-could try s-s-somethin' simple and less likely to set me on fire? Maybe levitate a rock?"

(Semi-waiting to see if Night Jewel will respond to Sandy's perceived loss of sanity in Soft's Bar.)

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Manehatten - MoM Hub]

The spritebots keep coming! It seems for every one of the nasty little machines that get shot down four more drop out of the holes in the ceiling. Standing and fighting isn't working! There's got to be something else they can do! Pew pew pew go the energy beams! The tiny bolts of magic really aren't that powerful on their own. But the damage from them can add up. And as horrifyingly enough-

"GAH!" Blackbeak cries out as her body glows neon pink before crumbling into a heap of smouldering pastel ash.

-they still have a small chance of dusting the target.

"BLACKBEAK!" Sven roars, rage consuming his features as he cranks up the power on his plasma cannon. "YOU SONS OF A MULE KILLED BLACKBEAK!"

And with that he launches a full-powered plasma burst at the cieling. The projectile detonates with a sound like thunder, hurling many of the bots to the ground and frying electronics.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Manehatten - Don't feed the para-bots

"Need an explosive!" Whadda explains coming up with a plan. Simply put, she describes it to the rest of the group. "Blow up the vents."

Unfortunately the Talon seems to have been ashed and therefore his gear went with him. Her comrade is going revenge-berserk too. Hopefully Fox or Sprinkles has something to boom. Meanwhile, Scoops takes another swipe at the bots before taking partial cover behind the bubble shield.

Manehatten Ruins-Horseshoe Tower-Ministry of Morale-32th Floor- 10:56 am

Fox Trot

Crud. What a horrible way to go. I found myself frozen having had seen it happen before my eyes. The first time, the scene was too busy for me to have noticed it until the end. This was horrifying. I glanced at the little bots through my shimmering protective dome. Damnit...I was no good at damn robots! I didn't have weaponry for it and you can't really go hoof to hoof to strike special 'pressure points', they're robots damnit.