New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Creepiest D&D Content

Have you ever opened up a D&D book, and while browsing, found something truly unsettling or disturbing? I don't mean things from books where the writers were trying to be unsettling, like in Heroes of Horror or the Book of Vile Darkness. I'm looking for creepy spots in otherwise comfortable books.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Creepiest D&D Content

A friend of mine always found modrons creepy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Whatever those psionic leeches were called?

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Thought eaters (the original emaciated platypus things) are actually kind of terrifying to me. It seems like a laughable concept at first, but the more one thinks about them, the scarier they seem.

Its even more disquieting if one takes into account the tidbit of lore saying that they are the souls of dead psionic characters.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ELH's High Proselytizer has a signature ability (Proselytize) that creeps me out because it seems like it's intended to be some kind of sick parody of cults or something. Anything that lets you command low-level followers of the same deity/cause to commit suicide, no save, is just ... Dude Not Funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

It kinda treads on the line for the OP's request, but the Tsochar from Lords of Madness creep me out to no end.

Hive mind leech/snake things that climb inside your body and force you to do their bidding or suffer horrible agony, and can also decide keeping you alive isn't worth the trouble so they just eat your brain and drive your body around like an old volvo.

*shudders*
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Whatever those psionic leeches were called?
    You mean puppeteers?

Personally, I love those things. I played one in a short campaign several years back. I was Lawful Good but would go around using my dominate on the BBEGs in order to rehabilitate them and show them how to lead a good life. Quickly acquired quite the entourage and hilarity ensued!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Technically, this was in the BoVD, but they weren't trying to be unsettling at that point: D&D morality.

Lying: Probably evil.
    Cheating: Evil.
    Making an advantageous contract: Evil
    Having a disadvantageous hallucination: Evil
    Cannibalism: Evil
    Masochism: Evil
    Self-Mutilation: Evil
    Obesity: Evil

etc.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by falloutimperial View Post
    Technically, this was in the BoVD, but they weren't trying to be unsettling at that point: D&D morality.

Lying: Probably evil.
    Cheating: Evil.
    Making an advantageous contract: Evil
    Having a disadvantageous hallucination: Evil
    Cannibalism: Evil
    Masochism: Evil
    Self-Mutilation: Evil
    Obesity: Evil

etc.
    I object! This is being misconstrued by taking it out of context.

BoVD says that many evil characters have one or more of those traits, or do one or more of those things.

It does not say that everyone that does any of those things or has any of those traits is automatically evil, or even that the traits and acts are in and of themselves evil.

This kind of misunderstanding is the biggest reason that people think D&D's alignment system is non-functional.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-09-17 at 05:33 AM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Neogi usually get my vote for creepy factor. Particularly their reproduction cycle.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

11. - Top - End - #11

Well the picture of the Female half-orc in the Players Handbook tends to disturb a fair number of people (Though I think that is just because they want all/most women in a fantasy world to be stunningly attractive and scantly clad in chain mail bras or aged hags who curse people)

The more and more I think about it the more creeped out I get by the fact that a dragons Good/Evilness is based on the color of it's skin.
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Wildren (Planar Handbook). If you thought the classic half-orc background was ick, this makes it even more so.
    Last edited by Ashtagon; 2012-09-17 at 07:45 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I object! This is being misconstrued by taking it out of context.

BoVD says that many evil characters have one or more of those traits, or do one or more of those things.

It does not say that everyone that does any of those things or has any of those traits is automatically evil, or even that the traits and acts are in and of themselves evil.

This kind of misunderstanding is the biggest reason that people think D&D's alignment system is non-functional.
    Willing Deformity Feats.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Intellect devourers. They kill you and move into your head while you sleep and then drive you around to mad orgies and stuff. They do this while BEING a giant brain with hands and feet.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    Willing Deformity Feats.
    Cover some of those things taken to their extreme and require that a character be evil to take them. A character with one of the physical or mental features granted by a deformity feat, that doesn't have the feat is still perfectly RAW legal. He just gets no benefit or drawback from being deformed. Or are you actually arguing that deformities should be beneficial to everyone that has them?

For example, there was an entire thread on obese characters in D&D in the 3.5 subforum recently.

Edit: upon further review only self mutilation and obesity are covered by the deformity feats.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-09-17 at 09:16 AM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

How has someone not mentioned the BoEF yet?

Although whether that's intentional or unintentional, I'd rather not find out.

I'll just vaguely mention the alternate bag of holding analogue and leave it at that.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    How has someone not mentioned the BoEF yet?

Although whether that's intentional or unintentional, I'd rather not find out.

I'll just vaguely mention the alternate bag of holding analogue and leave it at that.
    Really? I didn't think it was that bad, except for one of the pictures. I covered that with post-its and never looked back.

Then again, my creep factor detector for that sort of thing may be a little off.

I'm not creepy myself (I don't think. My wife doesn't seem to either) but I think that as long as your kinky doesn't hurt anyone that doesn't want to be hurt and doesn't involve children or animals it's noone else's business.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Neogi usually get my vote for creepy factor. Particularly their reproduction cycle.
    Since you remind me of it, yes, that is one of the creepier things D&D has produced. And in a setting (Spelljammer) that wasn't overtly creepy most of the time. But alongside matchlock-wielding hippo mercenaries and Giant Space Hamsters that literally power spaceships by running on exercise wheels, you have a race of ruthless hermaphroditic spider-monster slavers. Who reproduce by waiting until one of their kind starts to suffer from the senility of old age, then subject it to a (thankfully not detailed) hormonal/chemical/letsnotconsiderittooclosely process that causes it to go completely mindless and swell up with young who are birthed by devouring it from the inside.

Which, just as a side effect, leads to encounters with ships captained by aging monsters who already had no conscience and are now suffering from both dementia and an ironclad determination to avoid the notice of their kindred at any costs.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

The Worm the Walks sets off a little *ping* in my brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    The Worm the Walks sets off a little *ping* in my brain
    Speaking of which, I think the Ulgurstasta (sp?) is probably the grossest creature in D&D.

Father Llymic also gives me a bit of a twang, but that might just be shades of Stephen King.
    On creating medieval thermobaric detonations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    On rewriting your own past into a stable time loop of invulnerability:
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    kardar233's Tyr: So ok, it seems to me that your character evades death o_O. Congratulations *fanfare*

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Wildren (Planar Handbook). If you thought the classic half-orc background was ick, this makes it even more so.
    Yeah, that's why I cited them as well in the Stupid Non-Monster things thread. I still don't get how Editorial didn't nix that. I mean, it's kinda hypocritical to say "No" to the Book of Erotic Fantasy and yet still make an entire race spawned by bestiality.

Also, on the whole "S&M is Evil" issue from the BoVD, I also don't get why the Vermin Lord has a "Must Be Evil" requirement in both the 3e and 4e versions. Yes it's squicky to turn yourself into a living hive for bugs, but that could just as easily be flavored as a "Friend to all living things, even the lowliest" thing, like a really weird version of St. Francis.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tbok1992 View Post
    Also, on the whole "S&M is Evil"
    To quote one review on RPGnet:

Quote Originally Posted by Some reviewer on RPGnet
    Sadism I can understand, but masochism? A villain who enjoys being beaten is a villain that's realized their place in the universe with unusual clarity.
    Last edited by Arbane; 2012-09-17 at 04:15 PM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Rot grubs and scarecrow golems from AD&D both creeped me out in terms of mechanics. I shudder when I think of save-or-dies inflicted by what appears to be an innocuous object (a pile of garbage, a scarecrow). Rot grubs also have gross fluff, of course.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #24

I find Gnolls horrifying, not because I'm scared of Hyenas or anything, but because of how purely evil and morally disgusting my first DM portrayed them as. Plus the their cackling, which evokes pure terror.

Rakshasas also creep me out, because of the hand thing. Just imagine shaking their hands. . . *shudder*
    You found the hidden text! Have a cookie.

Thanks to The Stoney One for the awesome avatar!

Spoiler: My homebrew!
    Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    Quasi-Elemental Genasi (Plus New Feats and a Subtype)!
    My Extended Signature!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    To quote one review on RPGnet:
    Masochism was included in BoVD for its undeniable relationship with sadism, not because it's a trait common to evil characters, excepting of course sadomasochist villians.

Also, where the devil else were they going to describe such things? Complete Scoundrel?

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure if it counts, but one session of Pathfinder led us to meeting some very enthusiastic followers of Zon-uthon...
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Masochism was included in BoVD for its undeniable relationship with sadism, not because it's a trait common to evil characters, excepting of course sadomasochist villians.

Also, where the devil else were they going to describe such things? Complete Scoundrel?
    Ah. Well, I do think that it's in poor taste for D&D to malign a relatively reasonable kink like that. I mean, they don't use Catfolk or Dragonborn to bash on furries or Changelings to bash on transformation fetishists, so why should S&M be singled out like that?

This also reminds me of the Yuan-Ti from my setting {:coughshamelessplugcough:}, who routinely mutilate themselves to practice their own brand of blood magic and whose god is a giant skinless snake with nails pounded into his muscles and hung up by hooks on the celing, dripping luminescent blood...

And they just so happen to be the good guys, using said blood magic to keep the Tarrascon (Essentially the Ur-Tarrasque, the being upon which all Tarrasques across the multiverse unconsciously base themselves and who could make Tharazidun pee his pants in fear) sealed within the setting and being willing to teach their magic to those hardy enough to withstand it and unselfish enough to use it for others sake and not their own.
    Last edited by tbok1992; 2012-09-18 at 12:42 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blueiji View Post
    I find Gnolls horrifying, not because I'm scared of Hyenas or anything, but because of how purely evil and morally disgusting my first DM portrayed them as. Plus the their cackling, which evokes pure terror.

Rakshasas also creep me out, because of the hand thing. Just imagine shaking their hands. . . *shudder*
    Really? I find that laughter kinda endearing

Guess I'm just used to much more obvious display of fun from hyenas. Aka, The Lion King style.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    You mean puppeteers?

Personally, I love those things. I played one in a short campaign several years back. I was Lawful Good but would go around using my dominate on the BBEGs in order to rehabilitate them and show them how to lead a good life. Quickly acquired quite the entourage and hilarity ensued!
    Well that just sounds silly. Also, weren't the Puppeteers ripped off from Heinleins' the Puppet Masters?

And by the way Blueiji, could you give me some examples of Gnoll brutality from that DM? I find myself intrigued.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pathfinder Goblins.

Imagine a player that plays their character Chaotic Stupid as much as they can with an unhealthy fascination with fire. Now make a whole race of them. First encounter with PF Goblins, they were in the rafters, with cover, and a good supply of fire bombs.

*Shudders* It's 'cause of this that my next character is gonna be a Peri-Blooded (Aasimar) Fire Mage for that sweet 15 Fire Resist at lvl 1.

Stat-wise, the Wonderland themed Tane from Pathfinder. Jabberwocky, Bandersnatch and JubJub Birds, oh no!
    Last edited by Silus; 2012-09-18 at 02:52 AM.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika