New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default I'll 3D Model It (Looking for Art)

Hello everyone, I’m looking for some artwork to make 3D models of.

I’m in school for computer graphics and am in need of some reference art both for a project (which will just be a collection of 3D models) as well as to help build up a portfolio. The extra practice won’t hurt either. Characters, animals, buildings, objects, anything is fine. If you have an existing piece of artwork that you’d like to see a 3D version of or just feel like helping out, feel free to post it.

Good reference art is high resolution and shows a front and side view of the object being modeled with everything being the same size between images. Back views are also useful but not required. Depending on the object being modeled, some close-ups of details might also be useful. For characters in particular, it is important to have them posed standing straight up with their arms to the side.

Example (spoilered for size):
    Spoiler
    Show

(Concept art of a ghost from Heroes of Might and Magic VI)

Notes:
    All artwork will be credited to the person who created it. The only thing I would take credit for is the creation of the 3D models themselves. The 3D models will only be used in a project and for a portfolio.

If you want the model to a certain scale or want to set a limit for the number of polygons used in the model, feel free to. Just make sure you know what you’re talking about if you do.

I do not promise to create models for every piece of artwork posted (in case there are more posted than I can handle). The artwork I choose to create models for will be based on the quality of the artwork, the level of detail, and just in general how much I like the particular piece and how much time I have.

Texturing and posing are separate from modeling. I may or may not texture and/or pose models created. Again, it all comes down to how much time I have, how much other stuff there is to work on, and the like. If you like, you can request a certain pose, but again, no promises.

I need to get a few things set up on my computer before I will be able to get started. It shouldn’t be long, but I thought I should say so regardless.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: I'll 3D Model It (Looking for Art)

IDK if these are good or detailed enough, but I saw this thread and just drew something just for it:
    Spoiler
    Show

Alternatively I'd like to see the big (implicitly) four-armed skull-head guy in this doodle page to be 3D-fied, but I'm sparing myself some headaches projecting his side and front views:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Might as well put this here.

Spoiler
    Show
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8029/7977748312_1ce1e03c99_z_d.jpg

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

@flyingchicken - I can work with the first one. It's enough to use as a reference for body shape and for modeling alone, that's all I need. Really couldn't do. As for the second... Well, I could try it, but with just a front view, that's pretty difficult to do well.

@Felandria - Like flyingchicken's second image, I can try it, but with only a front view it's pretty limiting. The fact that it doesn't show her full body doesn't help matters... I suppose I could try doing a fairly generic female body then tweak the head and add use a bit of imagination for the side of the armor.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Just did a Safebooru search; while there's plenty of sheets, it's surprisingly hard to find ones where the character is facing directly forward... where they haven't been used to make a 3D model already, that is. This is the best I could find there.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2012-09-19 at 04:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

As a note, I've finally got things sorted out with my computer. It took longer than I had hoped it would, but it's done and I've started work on the robogirl torso flyingchicken posted. I'll post some screenshots when I have enough done to be worth showing. A few days most likely due to school.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the forum down time gave me plenty of time to get working on it. Here's what I have so far.

(spoilered for size)
    Spoiler
    Show

I made a few changes from the original design. Tried a new way of doing shoulders... They still need a bit of work. Still want to play with the hips a bit more and see if I can improve them. I also still need to add in the more mechanical bits. Wires are easy and the bits inside the limbs and such are already designed though not attached yet.

You'll also notice a bit of non-smoothness near the center. It's because I modeled half of it and mirrored it and haven't attached the vertecies.

All in all though, I think it's starting to look pretty good.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2012-10-06 at 11:58 PM.