Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Seeking a new board game for my settlers gaming group

So, I'm going to be spending some days with 2-5 friends, and was looking for a new board game to help pass the time and enjoy. We have been playing Settlers: Cities & Knights For a while and I think we need a new game, as I'm getting tired of playing the same game for 8+ years.

Our interests:
    - Competitive, PvP game. My friend won't touch Co-op games unless they're extremely good and there's a way to declare a single "winner" when the game ends.
    - Trading and player interactions. Direct ability to interrupt another's plans is highly rquired. We dropped Puerto Rico because we there was not enough intercation between players.

- A bit of randomness, a lot of planning. Too much randomness, such as in Cosmic Encounter, could turn them off. It should be possible to plan for your next turns and goals, but the game shouldn't be too rigid or completely deterministic. There should be some chance of fun and the odd surprise or bad luck streak.

- Number of players: usually 4. Although having a game suitable for 2 or 5 would be good, it isn't needed.

Games we've tried before:
    Settlers: Cities & Knights - Good game, but I'm getting very tired of it.
    Settlers: Traders & Barbarians - Not bad. But C&K was better and I couldn't get them to switch.
    Cosmic Encounter & expansions - We'd had some fun games, but it was declared "too random". Also not liked because of many rules & timing conflicts. Also, they did not like to share victories.
    Starfarers - Played a bit and then stopped, because it did have not enough PvP.
    Puerto Rico - Same there.
    Robo-Rally - Was too fast-paced.
    Munchkin - Was fun for a while. But got too repetitive and I really did not like the "runaway leader" problem.
    Arkham Horror - Couldn't get them to play it. (I think it's great and love the setting, but it was a cooperative game with too complex rules to teach for the short time we had.)

So far, I've been thinking of Dominion, but I'd love to hear other suggestions.
    Board game night is approaching, and I'm tired of building aqueducts.
    Last edited by SKarious; 2012-09-17 at 12:34 PM.
    Awesome Amaterasu ponytar by Dirtytabs!
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Seeking a new board game for my settlers gaming group

Have you tried Order of the Stick?

Haven't played it, but I did get the full game as part of the kickstarter and it looks really fun. Some pvp fighting over loot, lots of interrupt other players actions, and the humor of the comic.

The deluxe came with a new game mode as well, wandering xykon.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2012-09-17 at 02:11 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Small World is my go-to recommendation these days. I'm plugging it as the next Settlers in the sense that I think it will eventually catch on in a more widespread way. Explaining the basic rules takes almost no time (although every race and power "breaks" the rules in some way).

It's a territory control game with a more-or-less goofy fantasy veneer. You select a race with an additional randomly associated power, try to take over territories, and eventually abandon them and start the process with another race.

There's no trading, but the entire game is about gaining coins through taking territory (generally at the expense of other players).

The randomness is essentially in the combinations of races and powers that come up; bad ones can be skipped for a price, while good ones are in high demand. Conquering territory requires 2 tokens + an amount equal to whatever's already in the territory, so there's no randomness there.

Vampire: Prince of the City might also fit your requirements, although I've only played a couple of 3-player games. My nickname for it is "Vampire Gang Fight," and I think that's pretty accurate. It's relatively complicated--you control sections of the city by bidding influence tokens, can fight the other would-be Vampire Princes, and navigate your way through diplomacy to become the baddest vampire in the city.

4. - Top - End - #4

If your group loves PvP, you should give Frag a shot!
    It combines various tropes of online FPS games and a solid dose of Steve Jackson humor.
    It plays quickly but supports tournament style "seasons" as well, I've played a few games in my time and find it hilariously fun.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

5. - Top - End - #5

AssassinGuy

I HIGHLY recommend Age of Renaissance from Avalon Hill. This is a very, very cool game about colonialism and conquest from the middle ages into the pre-industrial era. Class-A strategy game.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Seeking a new board game for my settlers gaming group

Thanks for the recommendations so far. Keep ' coming, please.
    Small World sounds just right so far. I'll read on it.
    We have tried the Order of the Stick game, but found it too long for our group. I fogot to mention it.
    Awesome Amaterasu ponytar by Dirtytabs!
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations so far. Keep ' coming, please.
    Small World sounds just right so far. I'll read on it.
    We have tried the Order of the Stick game, but found it too long for our group. I fogot to mention it.
    I agree with you on the too long part, I really enjoy it and the game mechanics, but it's simple way too long. If it were pared down to only taking like 3 or 4 hours, I'd love it.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

8. - Top - End - #8

Twilight Imperium?
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    I agree with you on the too long part, I really enjoy it and the game mechanics, but it's simple way too long. If it were pared down to only taking like 3 or 4 hours, I'd love it.

The game is labeled at one to 1.5 hours.

At least that's what the deluxe game says.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post

The game is labeled at one to 1.5 hours.

At least that's what the deluxe game says.
    From my experience it takes much, much, much longer than that. Maybe my group and I was an aberration of some form or another, I dunno. People who love multi-hour games of risk would repeatedly get bored and lose interest in playing.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

11. - Top - End - #11

BarbarianGuy

order of the stick board game is a fine game but the time on the box is way off. We had a couple minor house rules that helped a little. Tried the shortening once and it did seem to shorten our play time.

One of my favourite games is Napoleon in Europe. It maybe hard to find now. I enjoy twilight emporium, Eclipse is another good one along the same idea as T.I. Actually I think eclipse improves on somethings T.I does.

Age of Conan or Merchant and Marauders maybe.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I haven't seen any mention of Agricola yet. Although, based on your description of Puerto Rico not having enough PvP, it might not be for you. In my experience, it has more interaction between players because you have to compete for those much-vaunted action spaces (taking a spot stops other people from taking it that turn). It also has a bit more sense of urgency to it since everyone has to try to build up to a certain point every few turns to avoid starving.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know of any games that do trading as well as Settler's but here's a few for the list to try for pvp:

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game. - take over westeros in a mad bid for the iron throne. Involves plenty of competing over resources through combat. up to 6 players I think? Stark, Lannister, Greyjoy, Baratheon, Tyrell, with Dorne as an expansion... It's been a long time so not sure.

Imperial: Economic warfare at its finest. You are the people with all the true power in early 20th century Europe: I speak of course of the wealthy. Take control of countries by investing the most in them and use them to collect more money by taxing them and collecting interest. Along the way build up armies to ransack nations where you lack investments and conquer unclaimed territory to increase the populace of whom you tax. But be wary lest your opponent buys Germany out from under you at the last possible second. And do not underestimate the value of driving a nation into the ground should you benefit from it. It's a favorite among quite a few of the gamers I know. Highly recommended. 2-6 players

Edit: Agricola is fun, and competitive in a "you took all the wood!" sort of way.
    Smallville is very simple, but makes for a good time. Hope all this helps.

Edit2: Unfortunately for your requirements, there's little luck in Imperial. That said, you could certainly add some by randomly distributing the easy start investment cards. Additionally, it can often feel like a luck game simply because it's hard to tell which nations will do the best, and therefore where your investments should lie (We all thought Britain was useless until I took over the ocean.)
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2012-09-17 at 11:12 PM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

3DS Friend Code: 3411-1771-4133
    Friend Safari: Dunsparce, Minccinno, Eevee

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

How about Junta? It's a free-for-all-PvP-fest, requires some planning and some luck, and is great fun. I played it and enjoyed it immensely. Especially if your players like to discuss and bargain.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    How about Junta? It's a free-for-all-PvP-fest, requires some planning and some luck, and is great fun. I played it and enjoyed it immensely. Especially if your players like to discuss and bargain.
    This here is the winner. This game, in my opinion, set the bar for competitive board gaming.

Just remember one thing; if you have the votes, back the current president. The rebels will kill you.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

I'll second Small World, especially if you really want a more antagonistic going after each other feel to your games. We don't play it that much anymore because of that fact, gfs and more casual gamer friends get turned off to it.
    And Small World: Underground, also good. Added variety in that there are special treasures and areas to be found on the map that are random for each game, which causes for more planning, but also more rule reading. Haven't yet used the little mini-expansion that lets you put the two game boards together for one uber-game.
    Oh, and no run-away leaders in these games. If anyone decides they want to demolish you territory, your going to be hurting, but so will they. Actually that's why I think my old roommate's gf has the most wins in this game, we ended up being so busy countering each other, she just sits in the corner, quitely collecting the majority of the points.

Wiz-War is great. 2-4 wizards running around a crazy (yet simple) labyrinth, blasting away with spells and trying to steal each others treasure. A little randomness in what spells you draw (there are 6 different "spell decks," of which you only play a game with 3 of them, yay variety). The same Smallworld winning gf got mad at this game cause she felt very ineffectual, but that was because I kept her that way by conjuring a wall in her path, negating her spell that let her pass thru the wall, stunning her with a lightning bolt, and rotating the board sector she was on to get her away from my treasure.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

I would recommend trying out Dominion. Very fun and quick game once you learn how to play. Also the attack cards can get rather vicious so there's room for some interesting PvP.

If you've got time, you can browse through the games played on Table Top though a lot of them seem more like party games than super competitive games.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

I find a very big problem with Small World. If someone takes the lead someone needs to sacrifice their own points to take over the opponents squares (using more tokens to hurt the other player rather than just taking over the easiest to use squares). The problem is if one person does that the leader gets taken down but they also hurt themselves. So no one wants to do it, but then the leader stays the leader. This is particularly problematic when certain race combinations come out.

Example, one player had Spirit Trolls. They added caves to mountain areas and even after declining once, they stick around. The problem was a troll/cave/mountain requires 5 tokens to take over. No one wanted to waste their whole turn getting 2 points, but left unchecked the troll player just keeps racking in points. It becomes very metagamy to say "well each of us will take out one of his trolls" when its really in the best interest of the last player to just do his own thing and get a ton of points instead while the rest of the players (and the troll player) got minimum points that turn.

It is a good quick game for a more casual crowd. I find its far too frustrating for a group who wants a deeper more thought out game.

19. - Top - End - #19

Well, a game I rather like is Age of Gods. At the beginning of the game, each player picks a god to play as from two random choices, and then guides their races to victory or defeat. The twist: all gods get 4 races, but only know one of them at game start, and also, unless you reveal it yourself, the other players will not know who you are the god of. Game lasts 10 turns, and on turn 7, you can decide to abandon your races and bet some other race will win.

The gods are not restricted to using their own race, so it is entirely possible to accidentally blob out another player's race, or in some cases intentionally destroy yours in order to make the other players assume you aren't playing that race [dead races can come back, and usually in hilarious ways].

The game usually lasts about 45-60 minutes, and with my group at least with half of the map either completely sterile of life or filled with superfortresses [you can fortify a land, then the dwarven special ability adds more, and then one of the gods allows for further forts ].

On order of the stick, I have never seen a game of that last less than 3 hours. Fun game, really silly, but time consuming. Isn't there even a "weekend killer" mode?
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

20. - Top - End - #20

Asending Empires: You're building an Empire (in SPACE!) and move your ships around the board by flicking them. You can upgrade your planets to give you different bonuses (improve number of actions you can take, improve combat ability, get extra units when you produce, etc). Its a very fun game, kinda quick, but very competitive, at least in my experience.

Dungeon Lords: Plays similarly too Dungeon Keeper except in board game version. You build up a dungeon and enlist monsters to guard it while competing for resources to do both of the above. Every so many turns you have to pay taxes/upkeep on your dungeon, and the end of a year an adventuring party comes and raids your dungeon. The more evil you are the stronger the adventurers you have to face, and if you get too evil the dreded paladin will attempt to vanquish you! (or present you with loads of points if you prepare properly and defeat him).

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Dungeon Lords: Plays similarly too Dungeon Keeper except in board game version. You build up a dungeon and enlist monsters to guard it while competing for resources to do both of the above. Every so many turns you have to pay taxes/upkeep on your dungeon, and the end of a year an adventuring party comes and raids your dungeon. The more evil you are the stronger the adventurers you have to face, and if you get too evil the dreded paladin will attempt to vanquish you! (or present you with loads of points if you prepare properly and defeat him).
    This game is fun but I also find it has quite a bit of downtime when people are resolving their dungeon phases. The other phases though are very interesting strategically though. I'd be afraid if people didn't like Puerto Rico, they'd find even less interaction in Dungeon Lords though.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

Originally I was going to suggest Core Worlds but I don't know if it would be directly competitive enough for the OP. Main reason it came to mind is because it plays 2-5 people, oh, and I think it's pretty sweet. A space deck-building game, where you only get so much energy and actions and you have to decide whether to use those resources to buy new unit/tech cards, deploy ones you already have, or conquer available planets. Units and tech usually give you some mix of Ground or Fleet strength, and planets require a specific mix of the two kinds of strength to conquer. Every two game rounds you move one sector closer to the core worlds, and thus units you can buy are stronger, and planets are tougher, but also give you more resources. Very little direct antagonism (I think a couple of tech cards let you steal some energy), typically the best you can do is buy a card or conquer a planet that you can tell someone is gunning for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Example, one player had Spirit Trolls. They added caves to mountain areas and even after declining once, they stick around. The problem was a troll/cave/mountain requires 5 tokens to take over. No one wanted to waste their whole turn getting 2 points, but left unchecked the troll player just keeps racking in points. It becomes very metagamy to say "well each of us will take out one of his trolls" when its really in the best interest of the last player to just do his own thing and get a ton of points instead while the rest of the players (and the troll player) got minimum points that turn.
    This is very true, can definitely happen. I think that's why reviews of hard-core gamers are hard on it. My buddy got Commando Skeletons one time, which are BA, but that put a huge target on his back. I think they only lasted two turns before he went into decline.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll throw another recommendation the way of Small World.

I'll also recommend Chaos in the Old World a PvP game where you take on the role of the 4 gods of Chaos in Warhammer fantasy and do battle against each other as you try to take over/destroy the world. 'Tis one of my go-to games when I feel like some fightin' board games.

24. - Top - End - #24

Yeah, Small World is an amazing game. I'd add two points:

1. For my gaming group at least, which is highly strategy-focused and usually figures games out pretty fast, it's still a mystery. We just have no clue what we're doing. It's great!

2. The races are somehow all overpowered. Happen to have the Flying trait? Congratulations, geography is irrelevant and you can invade any territory from anywhere. Merchant? You just get extra victory points (coins) all the time. Seafaring? There are territories that only you can occupy (and occupying more territory = more victory points). Are you Elves? Enjoy never losing units, Mr. Commando. Spirit? You are now playing two races simultaneously. You catch my drift... every player gets to feel overpowered at the same time.

25. - Top - End - #25

Chaos in the Old World is *really* fun, but be warned, it can only ever be played with 3-4 players (maybe you can do 5 with the expansion?)
    I don't expect you to agree with what I say, but at least defend to the death my right to say it!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Try Nexus ops. Its like Settlers: Except your out to kill each other with alien monsters.

Its even got a similar game board!

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfFighterGuy

Race for the Galaxy. Think if Puerto Rico and Dominion had a baby. In space. It takes about an hour and is pretty simple rules wise. Direct and indirect conflict both occur, but the direct combat requires an expansion.

Twilight Imperium's Rex is probably more down your route. Military standoff on a contested world by various alien powers, each with unique abilities and stengths. Resource control and management is just as important as board position, and diplomacy/manipulation is almost always going to be the key to victory. The combat mechanics are awesome, with armies being equal to each other, but boosted by which commander you choose (in secret), and any tactics card you deploy. The tactics cards play tactical rock paper scissors only slightly more complicated. The game as a whole is pretty much a straight up remake of the classic 1980s Dune game reskinned for the Twilight Imperium Fluff, but that is not a bad thing. Tons of fun, but very similar to game of thrones game which is probably going to overshadow it simply on brand recognition more than anything else.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I honestly find Small World to be a bit iffy by this point, but it's fun enough with an on-and-off basis.

Other thoughts...

Try Lords of Waterdeep; it's a not-too-heavy trading/economics game that plays pretty dang well. The competition partially comes from "sabotage your opponents" cards, and also because space is at a premium. You're placing workers on buildings, and each building can only hold one worker. So you wind up not just assigning workers to get things done; you also assign workers to block your opponents out.
    Ludicrus Gaming | My Steam Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

29. - Top - End - #29

Another vote for Small World and Dominion here.

7 Wonders is also fun, and has a small PvP element (you want to have more Combat cards than the two players sitting beside you).

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    always accepting players

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brumski View Post
    Originally I was going to suggest Core Worlds but I don't know if it would be directly competitive enough for the OP. Main reason it came to mind is because it plays 2-5 people, oh, and I think it's pretty sweet. A space deck-building game, where you only get so much energy and actions and you have to decide whether to use those resources to buy new unit/tech cards, deploy ones you already have, or conquer available planets. Units and tech usually give you some mix of Ground or Fleet strength, and planets require a specific mix of the two kinds of strength to conquer. Every two game rounds you move one sector closer to the core worlds, and thus units you can buy are stronger, and planets are tougher, but also give you more resources. Very little direct antagonism (I think a couple of tech cards let you steal some energy), typically the best you can do is buy a card or conquer a planet that you can tell someone is gunning for.
    That game sounds like it still has one player who's a clear winner, and it's not exactly co-op. Competitive doesn't mean you have to be going up directly against other people. See: time trials for racing.