New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default World's Greatest Detective.

Who do you think should really have the title, "World's Greatest Detective."

Keep in mind that This thread is only concerned with Detecting abilites only. I am not concerned with combat prowss, or the amount of resources available to them. If all other things are equal, who has the best mind putting clues together and deducing the facts.

A small list I can come up with.
    Sherlock Holmes- Obviously
    Batman
    Robert Goren
    Columbo

If you have any other possible Detectives up for the prize, let me know.

(Yes, I know that some characters may just be a "Rip off" of certain other characters, but include them anyway since these characters have other characteristics then the source.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: World's Greatest Detective.

"Everyone knows who you are. You're the world's greatest detective."

-Batman, explaining how he Sherlock Scanned Sherlock

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd actually go with Mycroft Holmes, he surpasses Sherlock in abilities, but he's just too lazy to go out and be a detective. If he decided to hit the streets he'd win hands down.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Only really familiar with Holmes and Batman, and independent of resources I would go with Holmes, who it is established has memorized an obscene amount of information on very trivial things, like tobacco ash. Mind you, as you get away from Late-19th century London, that information becomes increasingly irrelevant as cultural customs change. For example, an encyclopedic knowledge of Tobacco Ash becomes less useful when men stop smoking pipes, and when it becomes increasingly traditional to smoke outside, where evidence of that sort is more easily destroyed, than indoors.
    Of course, he would be behind on even fairly simply techniques, like Fingerprinting, that don't require advanced resources.

Mind you, if we're going with "PResent them with facts, see who does the best", then the answer would be Mycroft, who is like Min/Maxed Sherlock. More Brilliant than his brother, but too lazy to actually investigate.

Edit: Moriarty'd
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-09-17 at 07:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

I'm going to have to downvote Robert Goren. He's a great detective to be sure, but not the World's Greatest.

As for Batman v Sherlock Holmes, it's kind of a question of your definition of the word "detective". Holmes is absolutely the better detective in terms of rapidly solving mysteries and identifying guilty parties, but Batman is more full-service; he'll also go out and tie the dude up with Bat-Rope and hang him off a skyscraper. I'd personally give it to Holmes, but I can respect the Batman option.
    Last edited by Water_Bear; 2012-09-17 at 07:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I'd vote for L, from Death Note. If you consider the magnitude of the challenge involved, finding a single mass murderer with an untraceable magical means of killing from among billions of potential suspects based on incredible logical deductions and considerable personal bravery, he's his own level of awesome.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Dib from Invader Zim

You never said what "world," and he's one of only two people that can see through that disguise.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Given his near-perfection and habit of seeing through things, I'd have to put a suggestion in for Hercules Poirot. (Especially given that he and Holmes are two of the three characters that serve as the basis for essentially every detective ever, the third being the much more physical Sam Spade.)
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    I'm going to have to downvote Robert Goren. He's a great detective to be sure, but not the World's Greatest.
    Also, Goren's a bit like Frank Pemberton--his strongest suit is interrogating a suspect. His style is different than Pemberton's, and outside the interrogation room he's probably a bit better at noticing minor clues than Pemberton is.

Come to think of it, interrogating the suspect is a big part of Columbo's M.O., too, though his style is even more different from Goren's than Pemberton's is. Basically, Pemberton intimidates suspects, Goren distubs them, and Columbo makes them overconfident. The end result is the same, though--the suspect says the wrong thing and incriminates themselves.

Best detective though, I'd go with Sherlock.

10. - Top - End - #10

RogueGuy

I have to disagree with you on Goren. He only has to interrogate people to get them to confess to the crime. He already knows the hows and whys. Its just that most of the criminals will get away with their nefarious deeds due to lack of evidence.

11. - Top - End - #11

I think I upvote L. Sherlock would tell you what Light's favorite breakfast cereal is, but L would tell you that he actually ate something different today because he ran out of it.
    If not L, then Sherlock.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd put Sherlock over L, if only because we see more of Sherlock in action. L has like, one big case and references to some smaller ones to the best of my knowledge. Sherlock has a whole freaking library and wealth of information to go off of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

It's hard to find a detective that can match Holmes' spirit of observation and analysis' skills, able to notice details and so expert in reading human nature.
    I could name Patrick Jane, aka The Mentalist. (example. Not the best, but still...)
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-09-18 at 03:53 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

What? No love for Peter Death Bredon Wimsey? After all, Wimsey, Holmes and Poirot are the big three in UK Crime Literature.

Holmes was very good at the swift detection, Wimsey was much better at tracking down the details of a case.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2012-09-18 at 04:17 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Detective Chimp. you said worlds greatest, not human greatest. ;)

Elongated man is up there too

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I'd vote for L, from Death Note. If you consider the magnitude of the challenge involved, finding a single mass murderer with an untraceable magical means of killing from among billions of potential suspects based on incredible logical deductions and considerable personal bravery, he's his own level of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I'd put Sherlock over L, if only because we see more of Sherlock in action. L has like, one big case and references to some smaller ones to the best of my knowledge. Sherlock has a whole freaking library and wealth of information to go off of.
    I'd put L over Sherlock, myself. Mainly because L really is incredible at deductions, whereas Sherlock mainly does abductions, which is a very different thing.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Poirot and Sherlock actually often work differently. Sherlock works like modern CSI, basing his investigation on hard and scientific evidences, while Poirot often work purely on psychological base alone, by mentally analizing eyewitnesses and suspects, and sometimes he even plant fake evidences to corner his suspects.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Sherlock works like modern CSI

Nope, can't resist.

Sherlock: Yes, my dear Watson, it seems the game...
    .___
    /___\__
    ( •_•)
    .....\■
    .___
    /___\__
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    .....\■
    .___
    /___\__
    (⌐■_■)
    ......\■

...is afoot.

YEEEEEAAAAH!

(I can' take credit for the face/sunglasses thing, Soras, came up with that, I just added the deerstalker and pipe (which I hope look like what they're supposed to be...!)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-09-18 at 05:41 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

Sherlock: Yes, my dear Watson, it seems the game...
    .___
    /___\__
    ( •_•)
    .....\■
    .___
    /___\__
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    .....\■
    .___
    /___\__
    (⌐■_■)
    ......\■

...is afoot.

YEEEEEAAAAH!
    This is AMAZING.

I think that Sherlock deserve this title. Behind him, I put L, Poirot and Ellery Queen.... simply because sometimes Ellery exploit seems to come out from nowhere.
    I'm from Italy. So,sorry for my bad English!

Thanks A LOT to Nevitan for the fantastic Avatar!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Batman himself has stated more than once that Elongated Man is better than him, so there is that.

L does seem better than Sherlock. What Sherlock does makes sense in some ways, but L simply looks like he has read the whole manga beforehand. Basically, better writing makes Sherlock look more credible and therefore less skilled.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

I did a scale for this a couple of months ago.

I'll see if I can find it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    I'd actually go with Mycroft Holmes, he surpasses Sherlock in abilities, but he's just too lazy to go out and be a detective. If he decided to hit the streets he'd win hands down.
    Yes if you change his entire personality he'd be the best. But that's not his personality. So, I'm gonna go no, Sherlock surpasses his brother on this.

In any case I'd rate them somewhat like this.
    L: haven't read it, but the synapses makes him seem impossibly intelligent
    Sherlock, Batman, Elongated Man: Generally the characters given the title Worlds Greatest Detective in their respective works.
    The Question, Detective Chimp, Poirot, Ms Marple: Great detectives that I'd put just behind the big 4.

Now who I want to have the title is Sherlock, cause come on he popularized the detective genre.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2012-09-18 at 08:28 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Dr. Cal Lightman.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

I go with holmes, his powers of observation and encyclopedic knowledge of the most obscure facts, (really, his brain is batmans utility belt) While batman is good at spotting clues, but he then needs to go back to his huge crime lab and spend time figuring everything out. If both of them were at the same scene, batman would abscond with the evidence to do some digging, while holmes would say, "Aha! Come watson! The killer is on lexington and broadway. But he shall be leaving in 20 minutes, so we must hurry!" Then as they dash off to stop the criminal, holmes would go on a 10 minute long rant about how the shape of a bit of scuffing on a freshly polished floor means yadda yadda yadda, and utterly amaze his partner who should really be expecting this sort of thing by now.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Sherlock, definitely.

Columbo? He's no better than 20 other TV detectives.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

26. - Top - End - #26

ClericGirl

Really, the main flaw with Sherlock Holmes is the tendency for the more "exotic" plot points to be factually dubious. For instance, snakes don't actually drink milk or respond to high-pitched noises, and the Indian swamp adder is completely fictitious. Then you have the occasional reference to physiognomy - sensualist jaws and so forth - which... well, it's just a good thing none of the stories revolve around it. But that aside, I don't believe he's been matched for pure sleuthing lo these 126 years after his inception. Not that I'm complaining about the fictional detectives with different shticks, mind. (Except Miss Marple.)

Also, since this seems the only crowd that will ever understand this poem I composed:

I Will Not Come Down from the Mountain (On the Decision to Become Anonymous)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You think I lie dead in the township,
    That I callously left you behind -
    And I know not if you would betray me,
    Or if you dared not speak your mind.
    And I like not the hellfire behind me
    Nor the vertigo I must embrace,
    But I need pay no ransom to speak here.
    I'm redeemed by the mist 'round my face.

I will not come down from the mountain
    To the valley where you may be living,
    For the mountain is certainly fearful,
    But the valley is far less forgiving.
    I stopped at no inn by the wayside
    On the night I crept out through the door,
    And I will not come down from the mountain
    Till there's hope in the valley once more.

I stand with my gun at the ready.
    It's only the truth that I must,
    For up here or down in the valley,
    The main thing we learn is mistrust.
    I skulk through the mists of the mountain
    As they boast of their evils below,
    And I stand with my gun at the ready
    For a battle I may never know.

I'll come down, my love, in the springtime
    When the battle is over at last -
    But it has been winter so long now,
    Could it be that the battle has passed?
    And if it is so, and the summer
    Is long ago fallen and dead...
    Then you must join me here on the mountain,
    Or trudge on, all May's thoughts unsaid.

The herald, the toiler, the sweetheart and sailor
    Still live 'neath the shade of the fountain -
    And could not that shade yet be broken or stayed
    While the common man stands on the mountain?
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Dr. Cal Lightman.
    Dr Lightman isn't really a detective - as he says, he'll know that you are lying, but not the why and he usually has outside help in the form of proper detectives or government agents to figure out the why.

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    Really, the main flaw with Sherlock Holmes is the tendency for the more "exotic" plot points to be factually dubious.
    To be fair, the original Holmes stories were products of their time and the more esoteric elements don't stand up well to modern scrutiny.

The BBC remake is much better in that respect, despite their blatant disregard of British gun control laws and some bit ham fisted nods to the original story (scrapings near the winding hole of a pocket watch being changed to scrapings near the charging port on a mobile phone).
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-09-19 at 06:30 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Pfft, none of these detectives can measure up to
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

29. - Top - End - #29

ClericGirl

I wonder what my tendency to miss the keyhole of my apartment says about me? :p

In my view, the BBC series' biggest problem is that nobody has the basic idea of passwords and encryption that you get from signing up for a free email address. Including the guy who runs a top-secret military base. Well, no, the biggest problem is "Blind Banker", but I've long since stopped hating Thompson for being a bad writer and started hating him for being a good writer, and can comfortably forget that.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

For some reason, this thread immediately reminded me of the Great Mouse Detective....

Anywho, I'll +1 L. Isn't he, in that series, the top -3- detectives, to the point where an enemy group hires him to detect himself, letting him play them from both sides? It wasn't until "Guy with God of Death's Book", which is certainly something not normally encountered, appeared that -ANYONE- had even seen him before. Which says a lot, at least to me.