New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: World's Greatest Detective.

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    L does seem better than Sherlock. What Sherlock does makes sense in some ways, but L simply looks like he has read the whole manga beforehand. Basically, better writing makes Sherlock look more credible and therefore less skilled.
    Yeah for my money L had one good trick in deducing Kira's general region then coming up with an experiment to prove that.

Pretty much after that him and Light both run on pure plot.

Great detective gets pretty informed in my book.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-09-19 at 09:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

The Question.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called aglets. Their true purpose is sinister!"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Clearly the answer is Haruhi Suzumiya as the only omnipotent sleuth I've ever read of.

On a more serious note, yeah, I'd go with Sherlock. Batman is very good at solving dilemmas but his modus operandi is more along the lines of figuring out "What that is? What does it try to do? How do you defeat it?" about some cosmic powers than it is figuring out who committed a crime.

Mind, he's very good at that too and he's usually the one pointing out things don't match in e.g. Justice League and uncovering the mastermind behind the obvious culprit. But that's only a part of his agenda and I do think Sherlock has pulled off more impressive feats in that particular regard.

L...eh, he's so damn good but I have trouble quantifying his ability vs. the other people. It's just...it feels there's less material to go off of with him.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-09-19 at 10:39 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Detective Conan, he might be stuck in child form, but he is a great detective.

Also Wishbone, best dog detective.

5. - Top - End - #35

Encyclopedia Brown. The kid is the ultimate petty crime solver.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

Gregory House, or Harry Dresden

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Barmoz View Post
    Gregory House, or Harry Dresden
    House isn't a detective, he's a doctor. He's got the right mindset (since he's basically Holmes), but the wrong knowledge base.

Harry could work, but only because of his Magic. This is supposed to be a test of mental abilities. It dosn't seem right to deprive Batman of his crime lab while letting Harry keep his tracking spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'm pretty sure at least some incarnations of Doctor Who count.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

...Jupiter Jones...?

Why do I get the strong impression that will pass completely over the heads of the majority of the playground?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Basil of Baker Street!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    House isn't a detective, he's a doctor. He's got the right mindset (since he's basically Holmes), but the wrong knowledge base.
    The original concept for the show was that House and his team would get involved in solving crimes through their medical cases (which actually happened a couple of times, such as in the episode in which it turned out that what was wrong with the patient of the week was that his wife was poisoning him)--sort of a more adult version of Diagnosis: Murder. But the concept was changed before the show started production to simply having them solve medical mysteries, not crimes.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

What L does isn't detective work, it's magic. He knows things for no reason other than the author wanting him to. Besides, he couldn't even catch Light. Does anyone really want to tell me that Holmes or the Bat wouldn't have been able to catch Kira? Really?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dirk Gently, he solves the whole crime!

Ok, probably Batman. In the cartoon he closes every case in like 15 minutes.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    What L does isn't detective work, it's magic. He knows things for no reason other than the author wanting him to. Besides, he couldn't even catch Light. Does anyone really want to tell me that Holmes or the Bat wouldn't have been able to catch Kira? Really?
    You argue that L's detective skills are unrealistic but use Batman or Holmes as more plausible alternatives?

As to catching Kira.

Holmes would've been dead. That would've been easy for Light. Batman too. Honestly, it's not that hard to imagine the chain of reasoning that would lead to discovering Bruce Wayne was Batman for someone of Light's ingenuity.

Lastly, L did catch Light. L's failure was one of insufficiently proving his and Misa's guilt to his own satisfaction, before Light's plot succeeded.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2012-09-21 at 12:31 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Well L is lucky enough to have an adversary who on some level wants to be found.

Spoiler
    Show
    For example, killing the man who investigated him at any point was obviously going to end badly. And I don't think I even have to mention the ending and how many obvious ploys there were to prevent what happened from happening.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    You argue that L's detective skills are unrealistic but use Batman or Holmes as more plausible alternatives?

As to catching Kira.

Holmes would've been dead. That would've been easy for Light. Batman too. Honestly, it's not that hard to imagine the chain of reasoning that would lead to discovering Bruce Wayne was Batman for someone of Light's ingenuity.

Lastly, L did catch Light. L's failure was one of insufficiently proving his and Misa's guilt to his own satisfaction, before Light's plot succeeded.
    Getting killed by a magic murder book has nothing to do with detective skills at all.

L (kinda not) concealing his name is a good example of the Death Note story running on pure narrative convenience.

Also it is very easy to say Batman has to be Bruce Wayne when you know the answer and know Batman's set of tricks pretty well. There have been times where Batman is more or less an unknown to the public at large. Most certainly what he can do which crimps any "has to be Bruce Wayne" arguments. Especially given the variety of possibilities in the DCU, John Henry Irons for example is last I checked not Fiction 500 wealthy and managed to make himself power armor.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I'd vote for L, from Death Note. If you consider the magnitude of the challenge involved, finding a single mass murderer with an untraceable magical means of killing from among billions of potential suspects based on incredible logical deductions and considerable personal bravery, he's his own level of awesome.
    I was actually going to say this, but since you already mentioned him, I'll just second it. Though, there could be an argument for Light, since he figured out who L was, and managed to kill him before L could take him down.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Lots of good Gumshoes here.
    Some I never would have thought of, Cal Lightman, and Dr. House. Althought not detectives, honorable mentions.

On the subject of L. I don't think he should be on this list at all. His "means" of Identifing the region was highly dubious.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm, speaking of L, I'd mention a movie version of him, cause in that one, he actually managed to prove Light's guild decisively, even though it required him to basically commit a suicide to achieve that. (Well, Holmes also died fighting with Moriarty, even though that was retconned later)

But, after all, it still would be Sherlock, if only for the fact that without him, none of the others would exist. (Technically, Dupain was first, but I don't think the genre would ever go big with Poe alone...)
    Oh, and it doesn't help that I'm currently effectively playing Holmes in a World of Darkness campaign... a female, high-school, magic-wielding Holmes :-)

edit: though, obviously, given my avatar and sigmature, I must say Haruhi deserves a special mention... after all, no other detective I'm aware of can make a theory, then change reality so that said theory is correct :-)
    Last edited by jamieth; 2012-09-21 at 05:36 AM.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Phoenix Wright definitely isn't the greatest detective, but he at least deserves a mention in this thread.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

C. Auguste Dupin should be worth a mention too, if only for originating the genre.

All numbers are grammatically correct

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    Who do you think should really have the title, "World's Greatest Detective."

Keep in mind that This thread is only concerned with Detecting abilites only. I am not concerned with combat prowss, or the amount of resources available to them. If all other things are equal, who has the best mind putting clues together and deducing the facts.

A small list I can come up with.
    Sherlock Holmes- Obviously
    Batman
    Robert Goren
    Columbo

If you have any other possible Detectives up for the prize, let me know.

(Yes, I know that some characters may just be a "Rip off" of certain other characters, but include them anyway since these characters have other characteristics then the source.)
    What about Poriot and Maggy Marple?

What about Gibbs?

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    What about Poriot and Maggy Marple?

What about Gibbs?
    Gibbs?! He has an entire TEAM doing his research and detective work for him. All he does is demand updates and help interview witnesses and such. He really doesnt solve much of anything himself.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #54

RogueGuy

The same could be said for most of the Detectives. They all rely on other people to help them. No detective is truly a one man show. The ability that makes a good detective, is the abilty to get information and apply that information to the solution.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, the classics (Holmes, Marple, Poirot etc) quite often are one man shows, often with another person around so they can exposite for the reader.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah your classic detective formula has said detective doing all the real work. Anyone else helping is just a report, like saying "the police examiners found no signs of forced entry" or whatever the data point is.

Whether the detective does this themselves or not isn't really the point all the mystery is up to them.

The NCISI:AL shows of today break things up to provide character drama and so forth.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Harry Dresden!
    Jk, he's kind of a derp.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    The same could be said for most of the Detectives. They all rely on other people to help them. No detective is truly a one man show. The ability that makes a good detective, is the abilty to get information and apply that information to the solution.
    Not really, most of the detectives on the list tend to put things together themselves. Even if they have guys gathering potential evidence for them, its the detective who figures it all out. Gibbs doesnt do that. He is the supervisor for an entire team of investigators. He rarely ever solves the mystery, its more that he keeps them moving so everyone can solve it.

29. - Top - End - #59

Planetar

Phillip Marlowe.

What do you mean coolness is not a factor in this?
    Signatures are so 90's.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Darkwing Duck.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"