New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Does anyone else really want Tarquin to get absolutely bashed in?

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I realise this is open to interpretation, but - no. I think it was because he's a narcissist who literally doesn't give a rat's backside about the life or death of any other being on earth, except in so far as it administers directly to his personal comfort.

If Tarquin were 'forced' to kill Elan[1], then I think he'd express a momentary pang of regret. I doubt he'd actually feel it, but he'd pretend to, because that makes his 'decision' more momentous and makes him personally look tougher in the eyes of everyone who witnesses the act.

So I'm pretty sure that any scenario that depends on Tarquin's love for his sons, or anyone else, is not going to happen.

[1] 'Forced' in the same sense as someone upthread argued that he was virtually 'forced' to order the deaths of Enor and Gannji - that is to say, the calculation of the moment makes him think that he 'needs' to do it in order to look tough.
    An interesting interpretation... I genuinely believe that Tarquin cares-even if a little- for his new found son... Or at least the person he thinks Elan is
    'Aside from getting rescued what is it you do?'
    'I provide much needed sarcasm'

2. - Top - End - #182

I think he'd feel a genuine twinge of regret if he had to have either of his sons killed, (a slightly larger twinge for Elan) but it wouldn't stop him from doing it if he had to.

Tarquin's comfort > everyone else.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    I think he'd feel a genuine twinge of regret if he had to have either of his sons killed, (a slightly larger twinge for Elan) but it wouldn't stop him from doing it if he had to.

Pefect explanation ^

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder what arrangements Tarquin has done in order to avoid the "Great Fire Below". He knows he will be killed soon or later, and that he will go to the Seven Hells...a person so concerned with his own well-being and comfort would want to avoid an eternity of torture for sure.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    I wonder what arrangements Tarquin has done in order to avoid the "Great Fire Below". He knows he will be killed soon or later, and that he will go to the Seven Hells...a person so concerned with his own well-being and comfort would want to avoid an eternity of torture for sure.
    That's a good point.... Him and Malack will have something set up, otherwise why would he keep him around?
    He's already shown that he doesn't really care about his feelings too much, he's even kept Nale around after what he did to him...
    And it's not like he needs him as a cleric... he could just hire one

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grom the mighty View Post
    That's a good point.... Him and Malack will have something set up, otherwise why would he keep him around?
    He's already shown that he doesn't really care about his feelings too much, he's even kept Nale around after what he did to him...
    And it's not like he needs him as a cleric... he could just hire one
    I think "It's business, Malack" is their code for "let him live for now. I'll let you do as you please when we're done with him".

I bet this kind of situation happens quite often "why are you letting that punk live? he's stolen our gold and tried to kill you" "It's business, Malack, he has promised to help us kill the king of X-land in exchange for letting him live".

7. - Top - End - #187

I think it's more likely that their group is just one that has a long history of putting business ahead of personal feelings. Emphasizing business was just reminding him that when it comes to a choice between ruling the world and getting some personal revenge the group has a clear answer that they have to go with.

And that sort of professionalism is why they've gotten as far as they have.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think it's more likely that their group is just one that has a long history of putting business ahead of personal feelings. Emphasizing business was just reminding him that when it comes to a choice between ruling the world and getting some personal revenge the group has a clear answer that they have to go with.

And that sort of professionalism is why they've gotten as far as they have.
    Definitely. Look at Malack's lines in the sixth panel here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0854.html).

"You were the one that demanded I put aside my personal greivance for this crucial mission, as per our long-standing protocols." (underline mine, bold in original).
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NZNinja View Post
    Just a thought: given that Tarquin seems to believe that he'll be a legend after he's killed, wouldn't Elan be able to crush him - without combat, even - by telling him that he would be forgotten, or worse yet remembered not as a legend, but as a fool?
    I'm thinking of Geoffrey Chaucer, in 'A Knight's Tale', where rather than risk a physical confrontation (which he'd already proved he couldn't win), he tells his transgressors:
    "I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity."

Something like:

...No Dad, I won't do it.

T: ?

I won't tell your story.

Oh, I'll sing the praises of the Dragon Empress and the clever-but-tasty King of Tyrania in every tavern and inn on the Western Continent. I'll recite the ode of the shrewd rogue that survived a decade in the dungeons, dodging death, disease and selection for the gladiator arena at every turn. I'll even sing the sad ballad of the escaped palace slave that was hunted down and burned alive within the day, just for wanting to be free.
    But I will never - ever - tell the story of the general that secretly ruled three empires.

At best, you'll be the clown whose pants keep falling down during the annual children's play.
    At worst, you'll just be... forgotten.

T: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
    I love how Tarquin in this scenario objected more to being forgotten than being known as a clown.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    You know what would be cool? If Tarquin killed Xykon via deus ex machina, winked at the viewers, and then drove off in a luxury car with two European models while screaming "I win everything! Take that, forum hatedom!"
    And thus, the forum exploded. What have you done?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    An interesting question is: Why exactly do so many people hate Tarquin so much? I mean, Tarquin is a villian, but he's one of the lesser villians as far as Evil is concerned, compared to skrell like Xykon or Redcloak or Kubota. It seems to me that he's about the same level of wrong as Nale, and there doesn't seem to be a huge section of rabid Nale-haters on the forums (though maybe I just missed them post.)
    I actually did dislike Kubota because I saw him as an annoying nobody villain without charm who was getting in the way of the good stuff.

Tarquin however is a villain I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Actually, there is a moderately-sized segment of Nale-haters on the forum. They pop up whenever he's doing well, which is why we haven't seen much of them lately.
    True. That said, I find Nale entertaining.
    : But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

I have another theory, that in the epic showdown, Julio Scoundrel will swoop in and save Elan, but in the process he gets killed by Nale or Tarquin, so Elan gets mad and kills one of them in his rage. (I don't know how that would go, or what might go on after that. But I like my first theory a lot better. Less far - fetched than this one.)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Barbarian in the Playground

There are a lot of people who hate Nale (or more precise: find he is annoying and has outlived his screentime a long time ago) and want him out of the comic.
    It just is getting a bit stale to mention this everytime. It'll happen and I hope it'll be sooner than later. But voicing it again and again serves no purpose at all.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

To be honest, I really want to see all major villains, with the exception of Redcloak, really be bashed in, and get some really karmic punishment. Strangely as it sounds, I trust Elan's plan against Tarquin and that it will strike where it will really damage Tarquin, though I am not entirely certain that Tarquin will truly suffer from it. This is because Elan isn't really a person who wants to hurt others gravely.

As for Redcloak, I do want to see him defeated, but still obtain the more sympathetic part of his goals.