New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Question re: religion ban

Quick question.

I just posted in the Friendly Banter forum, looking for help editing a website I'm helping fix up. Said website is actually for my church, and my question is this: am I allowed to link to the site if people ask/want to see it? I know it can be hard to offer help sometimes without being able to see the thing in question, so I just want to make sure I won't be breaking any rules - I'm not trying to get people to come to the site/church, I just ran into a road block and need some help and don't want to find that I can't get that help because I can't link to the site.

Figured I'd better check first

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Question re: religion ban

You ought to be fine as long as you're discussing web design and not religion. The ban is on discussion.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    You ought to be fine as long as you're discussing web design and not religion. The ban is on discussion.
    Technically linking to sites about banned topics is also against the rules. However I'd agree with you besides that (not that's worth much, me not being a mod, but it's the thought that counts).
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    While this isn't *quite* true, I definitely think you could discuss the website's design without talking about its contents. A few GIGANTIC disclaimers would most certainly be necessary, though.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Not to speak in their place or anything, but I'd bet money the mod that responds is going to say that you probably shouldn't link the site.

The usual line is something about erring on the side of caution in these things, and erring on the side of caution in this case would be not linking.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

6. - Top - End - #6
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

You're right to ask, and people are right to say say that you should always err on the side of caution to prevent accidentally crossing the line.

I'm very reluctant to give a solid yes/no answer for all questions of this nature, because this is very much a case by case basis thing and our experience has been that some people then try to take that answer and push it as far as they can to "see what they can get away with", they are also generally the type of people to be the most vocal when we do rein them in. This is the type of question where you should PM a moderator of the specific forum you wish to post it in and ask if it is alright, then it will be examined and answered.

Based on what you have explained in this thread, I would say that it would be ok to provide a link to the website, if someone requires it to assist you, as long as the link is discrete (as opposed to discreet) and clearly identified as to what it is, and no discussion of the church or of a religious nature happens on the forums. Obviously, this answer applies only to this question. Every query will be examined on a case by case basis.

We reserve the right to reverse this decision at any time and close the thread, particularly if religious discussion does take place.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    This is the type of question where you should PM a moderator of the specific forum you wish to post it in and ask if it is alright, then it will be examined and answered.
    I'll remember that for next time... if there is a next time.

as long as the link is discrete (as opposed to discreet)
    And the difference is?
    Last edited by Lady Moreta; 2012-09-18 at 09:11 PM. Reason: correcting formatting

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    And the difference is?
    In a nutshell:
    Discrete = Distinct
    Discreet = Obscured

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Since this thread is not yet locked, I'd like to ask a related question:

If a discussion seems to be getting political or religious, is it okay to invite the participants to a forum that does permit/is explicitly for said discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Discreet = Obscured
    Discreet also = private, modest, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Since this thread is not yet locked, I'd like to ask a related question:

If a discussion seems to be getting political or religious, is it okay to invite the participants to a forum that does permit/is explicitly for said discussion?
    If that situation comes up, please PM a moderator of the forum asking if it will be ok with the link to the place, the reason you wish to invite them, and how you're going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Discreet also = private, modest, etc.
    Neither of which have any application to what I had said previously whatsoever. Discrete also has other meanings. I distilled them both down to a single word to explain the differences, as they applied here, in a nutshell.

---

Question asked, question answered, thread closed.