New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Resident Evil 6: Best way to kill a zombie? Melee.

So, I have just bought RE6 for the PlayStation. It plays like the trailers said it would. Fluid motion, at-will melee, and less survival horror.

The first campaign I'm on is Leon's campaign. He's working with Helena Harper to shut down this airborne C-Virus, which the main characters are immune to. It's good to see I can perform the most lethal of attacks, and see the zombies' heads flop on to the floor while they turn into oil. Fun times.
    I've run out of ammo, I don't know how many times. Most of the time, I had to resort to using melee attacks, which are kicks and some sort of tackle with a skull crush. The thing that gets to me is that stamina bar which seems to determine how many melee attacks I can do in a period of time. About 5 follow-up attacks. It was very inconvenient for me when zombies are hugging my ass all the time. I'm so glad it's nearly over for me.
    I've had to fight this naked tentacle lady who appears to be Ms. Harper's sister. That's Japanese class, alright. It was horrifying that I had to fight this thing with almost no ammo. I don't know how, but I've managed to kill it using a shotgun and a knife. Once it was finally over, I decided to make the best of my knife and kicks, as they seem to be the only reliable method of getting prepared for the boss fights. At least my partners seem indestructible and infinitely loaded. Where can I get some of those? Oh, right. The default options. The problem is my lack of completing all 4 campaigns.
    At least Capcom made Leon's campaign seem noticeably like RE2, in the sense that it's night with zombies in a city. A first-day cop happens to join you in a fight with ARMORED ZOMBIES. Sweet mother of StarCraft immolation.
    Fun fact: I couldn't tell if the cars crashing into things were zombies or drunk college students. Crazy kids.

I'll be posting more as I progress in campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Resident Evil 6: Best way to kill a zombie? Melee.

I definitely got the vibe from the demo that Leon's boots were made of zombie kryptonite.

I don't know, I didn't really care for the demo. It's kind of a half-hearted cover-based shooter in some parts and too dark in others, so I can barely tell what's going on.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2012-10-16 at 12:02 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PallElendro View Post
    So, I have just bought RE6 for the PlayStation. It plays like the trailers said it would. Fluid motion, at-will melee, and less survival horror.
    Yeah, this is why I'm no longer supporting the Resident Evil series.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    I definitely got the vibe from the demo that Leon's boots were made of zombie kryptonite.

I don't know, I didn't really care for the demo. It's kind of a half-hearted cover-based shooter in some parts and too dark in others, so I can barely tell what's going on.
    The actual game has the standard brightness config, but the suggestion puts the light level to ludicrously low levels. If you ignore that and set it to something reasonable, it's not too hard to see.

So far, (I've only played a bit into Chris's scenario) my main complaint about the game is the squad following you around and rushing into everything. It makes it very difficult to take the slow, methodical approach I favoured in 4 and 5.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    Yeah, this is why I'm no longer supporting the Resident Evil series.
    This. I'm only even playing it because my brother's girlfriend already bought it, so I can at least try it before I decide I hate it.

Someone said that Resident Evil 6 makes Resident Evil 5 seem like Resident Evil 4.

It's just not as scary anymore... even 5 being a cliffnote version of 4 still seemed a bit intimidating... Even on Veteren/Professional, they just aren't that scary, and don't attack enough to seem scary. It's not survival horror, it's action. I want my survival horror!

At least the ****ing inventory system has been fixed.

Seriously, **** that inventory system. Why do 9 eggs take up as much space as 9 rocket launchers?
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-10-16 at 05:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Seriously, **** that inventory system. Why do 9 eggs take up as much space as 9 rocket launchers?
    Try Resident Evil 4. They have a better system, even if Leon crams a rocket launcher in a briefcase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    It's just not as scary anymore...
    Um, when was it scary? My brother grabbed the anthology version of RE6 and we've been working through the games because neither of us had played the series before. Halfway through Nemesis and the only scary thing has been the controls and the camera, which are the real monsters we've been battling.

I mean, sure, the monsters aren't what I'd call cute, but if the original trilogy constitutes high horror I'm pathetically jaded.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

The originals had a quite eerie atmosphere, especially if you keep the volume up, as the music and sound is a huge part of that. In the first game, or especially the remake, you also have a very real shortage of ammunition, that makes every single shot you fire a gamble.

Somewhat off topic, the controls were perfect.