New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: League of Legends XXXVIII: Featuring Mumble, The Giant Halibut

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Didn't wit's end do that and they got rid of it because it countered mana-hungry champs too hard?
    Yep.

Probably the closest we could ever get would be something like Veigar's ultimate, where the champion would do more damage based on the character's mana pool. No one really stacks mana all that much, though, aside from Ryze, Yorick, and Singed.

Slowing enemy cooldowns could be a really neat idea for a champion, but Riot would probably see that as toxic gameplay.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't wit's end do that and they got rid of it because it countered mana-hungry champs too hard?
    I recall them getting rid of it because it was more or less useless or stompy. It was too bipolar.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    A champion that attacks the enemy's mana supply / cooldowns might be fun. So far I haven't run across that mechanic, but I haven't tried all champions yet.
    There was an item in the game with mana burn previously but it was removed because Riot did not like it. It didn't fit in with their game design vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Barbarian in the Playground

Who's watching the WCG?

5. - Top - End - #695

What is with the sun fire cape craze lately? I have seen at least one in almost every tournament game and dyrus is streaming with it being his first major item on darius. WTF?

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

So, anyone got an predictions for the results of the World Championships today?

I expect to see
    Spoiler
    Show
    AZN vs M5 in the final.
    My Twitter

7. - Top - End - #697

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    What is with the sun fire cape craze lately? I have seen at least one in almost every tournament game and dyrus is streaming with it being his first major item on darius. WTF?
    It's just a really good item on shen for splitpushing, which is why you saw it a lot. It's not bad either for some lane match-ups.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    Irelia's death animation actually involves her own blades impaling her.

It's seriously ****ing brutal.
    Um... That link is just giving me a loop of blade sticks in ground > she tries to pull it out > she floats it out > sicks it back in.

Occasionally the blades separate and sometimes form an X, but that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Um... That link is just giving me a loop of blade sticks in ground > she tries to pull it out > she floats it out > sicks it back in.

Change the animation to 'Death'...
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post

Dropdown box in the upper right.
    My Twitter

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

Oh...
    Wow. That's...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ettin in the Playground

Would mana burn perhaps be more appropriate if it was %based? Something like 2% (or more, or less, or whatever) of the target's max mana per hit?

13. - Top - End - #703

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Would mana burn perhaps be more appropriate if it was %based? Something like 2% (or more, or less, or whatever) of the target's max mana per hit?
    Still useless against a large percentage of the champion base.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, she is a lich, so it makes a bit of sense.
    Wait, what? xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Wait, what? xD
    iirc, she was killed on the battlefield and Soraka anchored her soul to the blades so she could stay fighting. Undead + soul bound into an object? Sounds like a lich to me.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

...yeah, that's totally a legit reading. Cool. xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    Its not a bad item. It gives quite the unique mix of offense and multiplicative defense that's impossible to find in other items.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    The problem isn't "figuring out how to balance it". The problem is "Any mana burn mechanic that was meaningfully impactful for the aggressor would be too unfun for the victim".

And if you wanted to 'temporarily' deny someone access to their mana pool, well you're basically coming up with Silence from another angle.

iirc, she was killed on the battlefield and Soraka anchored her soul to the blades so she could stay fighting. Undead + soul bound into an object? Sounds like a lich to me.
    I'm splitting hairs here, but I don't think she's quite dead yet.

Also, I kinda want them to make her brother into a proper league champion.
    Last edited by Godskook; 2012-10-06 at 11:56 AM.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

18. - Top - End - #708
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    There was an item in the game with mana burn previously but it was removed because Riot did not like it. It didn't fit in with their game design vision.
    Let me expand on that:

Wits End was originally gave 42 additional magic damage that also burned an equal amount of mana. This item was originally envisioned as a counter to Mages. It made sense from a DotA background because DotA mages always had very high base mana pools. LoL at the time had a similar situation as most mages simply stacked Archangel's Staffs as there was no Deathcap.

With the release of Deathcap mages didn't really stack Archangels, and Wit's End, already considered a mediorce item... kinda fell away. However, players realized that Wits End was more useful against heroes with a low base mana pool as they could actually get rid of a player's entire mana pool. Suddenly heroes like Warwick and Ashe hated Wits End because if someone had it, they had no mana. So suddenly, an item designed to be good vs AP heroes is actually good versus... random heroes with low mana.

Basically, this was one of those unintended consequences that pop up rather often. Riot is okay with them sometimes, especially on heroes, but not so much on items. Instead, Riot nerfed Wits End and made it do what it actually is meant to do: be a really good bruiser item vs AP heroes. Then when it was still too good in that regards they nerfed it and now no one uses it.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    A champion that attacks the enemy's mana supply / cooldowns might be fun. So far I haven't run across that mechanic, but I haven't tried all champions yet.
    Also, one of Kassadin's abilities did the same thing. It did additional damage to their mana and then restored his mana per basic attack.

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    Let me expand on that:

Wits End was originally gave 42 additional magic damage that also burned an equal amount of mana. This item was originally envisioned as a counter to Mages. It made sense from a DotA background because DotA mages always had very high base mana pools. LoL at the time had a similar situation as most mages simply stacked Archangel's Staffs as there was no Deathcap.

With the release of Deathcap mages didn't really stack Archangels, and Wit's End, already considered a mediorce item... kinda fell away. However, players realized that Wits End was more useful against heroes with a low base mana pool as they could actually get rid of a player's entire mana pool. Suddenly heroes like Warwick and Ashe hated Wits End because if someone had it, they had no mana. So suddenly, an item designed to be good vs AP heroes is actually good versus... random heroes with low mana.

Basically, this was one of those unintended consequences that pop up rather often. Riot is okay with them sometimes, especially on heroes, but not so much on items. Instead, Riot nerfed Wits End and made it do what it actually is meant to do: be a really good bruiser item vs AP heroes. Then when it was still too good in that regards they nerfed it and now no one uses it.
    And also there were a number of champions, including Tryndamiere and Garen where everyone at the time didn't know if the abilities did anything to them. In other words, did it still do 42 magic damage to them if there was no mana to drain? As a little wee summoner then, my friends and I wondered that constantly.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

20. - Top - End - #710

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Also, one of Kassadin's abilities did the same thing. It did additional damage to their mana and then restored his mana per basic attack.

And also there were a number of champions, including Tryndamiere and Garen where everyone at the time didn't know if the abilities did anything to them. In other words, did it still do 42 magic damage to them if there was no mana to drain? As a little wee summoner then, my friends and I wondered that constantly.
    At first, Wit's End didn't do any damage if there was mana to burn. About the time the ninjas came out, it was modified so the damage and mana burn were separate (always did the 42 damage).

Wit's End was basically a hard counter to Rammus, which was really counterintuitive. It didn't kill him, but you burned out his mana very, very quickly and he'd just wander around going "....okay"

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh... I was thinking Lich with a capital B.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Can I point out that the growing level 1 strats and planning in League really, really remind me of DotA level 1s I've seen?

Wit's End was basically a hard counter to Rammus, which was really counterintuitive. It didn't kill him, but you burned out his mana very, very quickly and he'd just wander around going "....okay"
    Yeah, like I said: it was this really wonky item with strange "optimal play" so Riot remade it.

Honestly, its one of the things I do like about a lot of Riot's newer champions: Heroes seem to have very dominant playstyles, even if you can build them differently, their kits FEEL good.
    Last edited by toasty; 2012-10-06 at 04:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    Can I point out that the growing level 1 strats and planning in League really, really remind me of DotA level 1s I've seen?
    Yeah, it was kind of a foregone conclusion that eventually LoL evolution would lead to DoTA-style play (though with automatic junglers).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Troll in the Playground

Can you define what you mean? =O

25. - Top - End - #715
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Can you define what you mean? =O
    I watched a little bit of "The International 2" when it was hosted. Not a lot... but some.

Basically, lanes were not very well defined. You had obvious hero roles, but you could put your "carries" anywhere. Farm mid, trilane bot, have a dedicated jungler, have a dedicated roamer, etc.

League has had very well defined 1-1-2 lanes since the beginning of jungling, which was in Beta. Obviously bot lane has changed a lot, and that has effected top/mid lane, but basically since the invention of support+AD duo we've had the laning we've had.

But now that's changing. Lane swaps are common. Solo mid isn't necessarily a requirement anymore. You can run Duo mid, you can run duo top. I've seen some rather strange eventual lane matchups due to extended level 1s.

Extended level 1s themselves are also common in DotA. In DotA you'll often, often see very extended level 1s as team attempt to disrupt the opposing startup and determine lanematchups ASAP. The same is beginning to happen in League as teams have realized they can clear almost the entire jungle pre level 1 and create a huge advantage for themselves and use that to snowball the lanes.

edit: The best way to explain this would be to watch the Season 2 World Finals and watch the level 1s. Compare the level 1s in these games to your average level 1 in whatever elo you play at. Even Top elo players don't do this in solo queue. Compare the lane matchups as well. You'll see the same heroes, but a lot of different setups and strats.
    Last edited by toasty; 2012-10-06 at 05:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #716

Just a reminder, fellow summoners: Change is good.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #717
    Colossus in the Playground

Holy ****, CLG.EU vs. WE is an awesome series. Tho Yellowpete and Snoopeh are really disappointing me thus far (and Wickd trying to play Malphite and getting destroyed time after time gets a bit old).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    Just a reminder, fellow summoners: Change is good.
    Progression and evolution are good, but change isn't necessarily good on its own merits. Change for the sake of change isn't particularly valuable, in my opinion.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    Progression and evolution are good, but change isn't necessarily good on its own merits. Change for the sake of change isn't particularly valuable, in my opinion.
    This is why bot lane is still bot lane, for the most part.

@Eld: don't jix them now! Wickd is the best top laner in the world! I NEED TO BELIEVE.

30. - Top - End - #720

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Holy ****, CLG.EU vs. WE is an awesome series. Tho Yellowpete and Snoopeh are really disappointing me thus far (and Wickd trying to play Malphite and getting destroyed time after time gets a bit old).
    The first games were intense. The last 20 minutes were so awful to watch.