New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: League of Legends XXXVIII: Featuring Mumble, The Giant Halibut

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    1.Bladed Armor and Indomitable are 100 times more useful than you'd expect in the jungle.

2.You generally start regrowth on junglers who either don't plan on early aggression or don't need MS to do it. I get by fine with it on Mao(Twisted Advance is generally all I need for a successful first gank), but since Skarner is fairly point-blank like Udyr, as well as being highly aggressive in the jungle, I doubt he can get by without boots.

3.Shurelya's is an ult amplification item on Skarner, so yeah, you're right, its kinda core. So was Sheen, last I heard.

4.From what I hear, Skarner jungle is like Jayce. You don't really need all your skills. Ignore that heal entirely and focus your Q and Shield.

5.You've got one of the fastest clear times in the game, abuse this fact whenever possible. Know your opposition and take their jungle whenever they're on the opposite side of the map from you. With a strong leash on blue, this includes swiping their red out from under a blue-start slow jungler.

(You probably knew some of that, but I figured being thorough was better)
    I agree with everything but the boots/regrowth comment. While boots are nice I find that regrowth first allows you to clear jungle once (wolves, blue, wraiths, wolves, red, golems) and return to base with just enough money for a philo stone and boots. This is best for slow start lanes like jax, cass, and other heroes that need skills to help your ganks.

Pick boots if you plan on doing a level 2 gank with some hyper agressive lane like a lee sin or leblanc but personally I like the regrowth start because of the lack of communication in solo que makes ganks more difficult.

Also, while most people say that ignoring E is good on skarner, If you mid lane is someone who doesn't want blue (vlad, akali, kennen or such) then I suggest getting one level of E at level 4 to help clear even faster and keep your health up. But again, this is very situational

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    1.Bladed Armor and Indomitable are 100 times more useful than you'd expect in the jungle.

2.You generally start regrowth on junglers who either don't plan on early aggression or don't need MS to do it. I get by fine with it on Mao(Twisted Advance is generally all I need for a successful first gank), but since Skarner is fairly point-blank like Udyr, as well as being highly aggressive in the jungle, I doubt he can get by without boots.

3.Shurelya's is an ult amplification item on Skarner, so yeah, you're right, its kinda core. So was Sheen, last I heard.

4.From what I hear, Skarner jungle is like Jayce. You don't really need all your skills. Ignore that heal entirely and focus your Q and Shield.

5.You've got one of the fastest clear times in the game, abuse this fact whenever possible. Know your opposition and take their jungle whenever they're on the opposite side of the map from you. With a strong leash on blue, this includes swiping their red out from under a blue-start slow jungler.

(You probably knew some of that, but I figured being thorough was better)
    This all sounds really good to me except the Sheen. In general on low-farm champions like junglers, it's better if you can build support-tank, and I would favor Aegis/Frozen Heart/Shurelia's over Sheen.

Keep in mind that rushing Shurelia's will make you somewhat weaker at the expense of strengthening your ganks and initiate. While you should probably get it, getting it first leaves you much more vulnerable to counterganks and weak in fights than, say, Frozen Heart.

Sheen->Triforce is probably decent as a 6th item, though.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ogre in the Playground

On the topic of jungle, I normally go back with enough gold to buy HoG and finish my stone, and pick boots up on my second back.. Most of the champs I use to jungle have at least 1 skill to start a gank and so I find the extra good and HP more useful..

Just my opinion.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ogre in the Playground

Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Troll in the Playground

Damage really isn't a primary or even a secondary concern on Skarner, and so while Triforce and Wit's End are nice they hardly ever take priority over Aegis, FH, or Shurelya's. Even then, they aren't always the best fifth and sixth items.

Edit
    If you have *any* intention or expectation of ganking before the 4 or 5 minute mark, not only as Skarner but as almost every jungler in the game, you need to start boots. They're also the best starting item as far as clear time is concerned, so there's that.
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2012-10-12 at 12:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Because it has not yet been officially released by Riot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

7. - Top - End - #1057

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Because it has not yet been officially released by Riot.
    Ehhh, Debatable. They did show it during a Brazilian Q and A session that Mirrinus linked too last page.

Little late to the party as far as news goes but it is nice to have it in a standalone youtube format.
    Last edited by LordShotGun; 2012-10-12 at 01:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    I agree with everything but the boots/regrowth comment. While boots are nice I find that regrowth first allows you to clear jungle once (wolves, blue, wraiths, wolves, red, golems) and return to base with just enough money for a philo stone and boots. This is best for slow start lanes like jax, cass, and other heroes that need skills to help your ganks.

Pick boots if you plan on doing a level 2 gank with some hyper agressive lane like a lee sin or leblanc but personally I like the regrowth start because of the lack of communication in solo que makes ganks more difficult.
    Boots also helps on level 4 ganks after the first initial clear. On Nautilus, I need help on wolves and then a nice pull on Blue, but if I get that, I can gank at level 3 or 4 with nearly full health with a 3 pots + boots start.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it goes without saying that boots giving the fastest time to clear your route, but they don't decrease the amount of time your spending at any given camp.

And while it's quite possible I'm wrong, I would think that starting with a pendent over boots is much more gold efficient, which as a jungler seems like semi-big deal.

Also I mostly do solo queue, and ganking before your ult is up, or the laner's ult, generally seems to end the jungler dead, and both laners still alive. It's rare that I find a laner who will even attempt to help get that early kill unless they are pushed nearly all the back to their own tower. Instead they rather just passive farm as long as they can.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground

The sound is out of sync.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

11. - Top - End - #1061

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Boots also helps on level 4 ganks after the first initial clear. On Nautilus, I need help on wolves and then a nice pull on Blue, but if I get that, I can gank at level 3 or 4 with nearly full health with a 3 pots + boots start.
    Dunno about Nautilus but I just watched SaintVicious start boots + 3 on skarner and there is no way he could have ganked at level 4 with how he cleared his jungle. He had to go back to heal before trying a gank but if he had started regrowth then he could have ganked and possibly gotten lucky before going back.
    Last edited by LordShotGun; 2012-10-12 at 01:52 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Troll in the Playground

So Captain Dire Smallpox of the Fifth Ebola Brigade is a pretty neat carry. I may scrape the 3150 IP together for him at some point.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Banned

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Troll in the Playground

Dunno about Nautilus but I just watched SaintVicious start boots + 3 on skarner and there is no way he could have ganked at level 4 with how he cleared his jungle. He had to go back to heal before trying a gank but if he had started regrowth then he could have ganked and possibly gotten lucky before going back.
    Right, it depends a lot on how much help I get on wolves/pull. I've had pulls where I didn't even need to pop a pot on wolves/Blue, which was awesome.

Once Nautilus hits level 2 or 3, he takes minimal damage from Wolves/Wraiths thanks to his shield and AoE clearing skills. His shield also gives him a little bit of health buffer when ganking.

Nautilus' level 3-4 ganks are pretty brutal with an inherent root on his auto-attack and a mini-hookshot and a slow. His level 6 ganks are even better with a targeted, ranged knock-up.
    Last edited by Joran; 2012-10-12 at 03:16 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Troll in the Playground

Decided to take Twitch for a spin on Intermediate for once.

Spoiler
    Show

Did alright.

Edit: For reference's sake, Jax stole four kills from me, but I took one from him, so call it three.

More edit: Literally every death beyond the first was Crowstorm+CC.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2012-10-12 at 03:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leona View Post
    I'm waiting for the '800 elo' commentary track from this. AD Mordekaiser, AP Malphite is squishy, no-shroom Teemo, MF decides to just sit there and fight a bruiser.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ettin in the Playground

Question: I usually start cloth 5 on Skarner jungle. Is regrowth + pots better on him?

Also, to add to the Skarner discussion... Only take your E at lvl 13. Max Q, R whenever possible, and your W inbetween. It helps a lot with clear times and turns you into a ganking machine (hello Q slow...).

Now, I usually go cloth 5 and have never built regrowth pots, but from I'm hearing it would work, apparently. I go into a philo and boots, then hog, philo into Shureliya's, finish te boots, wit's end, glacial or Randuins depending on the situation, sheen, then finishing Randuins/frozen heart, and depending on how the game's going, possibly selling that Shureliya's for a super chalice.

Nautilus is almost the same, just swap Wit's end for Aegis and sheen for a phage (which you may want to build earlier). Piggy is built like Nautilus, just replace the mallet with an abyssal. They're generally the same in build, give or take a few items.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ettin in the Playground

At higher Elos, you need to be starting your aggression earlier than lvl 4 post-buy, especially on someone as powerful as Skarner is early game. If none of your lanes are open to early ganks, you should be looking to counter jungle if you can(against both early gank junglers and slow clear speed junglers). Boots facilitates this better, and if you're buying Philo+Boots on back either way, gp5-wise, it doesn't matter which way you start.

Also to the point, a boots-clear is *always* faster regrowth clear on any champ that can handle it(like Skarner), due to the MS letting you get to camps faster. This is even more crucial in counter-jungling paths, since that MS can mean the difference between getting away free and clear and getting caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Laudandus View Post
    This all sounds really good to me except the Sheen. In general on low-farm champions like junglers, it's better if you can build support-tank, and I would favor Aegis/Frozen Heart/Shurelia's over Sheen.

Keep in mind that rushing Shurelia's will make you somewhat weaker at the expense of strengthening your ganks and initiate. While you should probably get it, getting it first leaves you much more vulnerable to counterganks and weak in fights than, say, Frozen Heart.

Sheen->Triforce is probably decent as a 6th item, though.
    1.Appreciate knowing I'm roughly in line with you on this.

2.Eh, everyone I hear using Sheen on Skarner never gets the Triforce, except maybe as a 6th item.

3.I admit that the "when to get Shurelya's" question is one that should be answered game-to-game, since even on Skarner, sometimes, you need to hold the Philo for a while.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    Nautilus is almost the same, just swap Wit's end for Aegis and sheen for a phage (which you may want to build earlier). Piggy is built like Nautilus, just replace the mallet with an abyssal. They're generally the same in build, give or take a few items.
    I generally build support/tank Nautilus. First item is always Philosopher's Stone, and then depending on opposing team, I go for Aegis/Frozen Heart/Abyssal Scepter. Moots of Bobility after Philosopher's.
    Last edited by Joran; 2012-10-12 at 03:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leona View Post
    I've seen this several times, and I think the most amusing part is Lux's little pose after she lasers.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    I've seen this several times, and I think the most amusing part is Lux's little pose after she lasers.
    I enjoy how Jarvman looks like Kurt Russell.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Titan in the Playground

New infographic.

Gotta love how the ">90% of players are male" shows Kayle's helmet. Not sure how they know the info for that section though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Troll in the Playground

It doesn't really matter whether you take a camp earlier due to reaching the camp more quickly or killing it more quickly. In both cases the camp begins respawning earlier than it would have otherwise. The faster you clear the jungle the earlier your juungle begins replenishing itself. In effect, faster junglers have *more jungle* to farm than slow junglers. Don't underestimate boots.

24. - Top - End - #1074

To contribute further to the Skarner discussion I have a few more tips.

When ulting someone, at the end of your ult turn your Champion Model around. Skarner carries the victim on his tail, if you turn around you can get extra distance at the end.

Skarner Q slow proc doesn't care if it hits champions or minions. You can Q minions as you approach the enemy champion. That way when you get to the enemy champion your first Q on them slows.

Tips that are more obvious:

Runes I run the standard MS Jungle Page.

Masteries- Mostly Defense and utility. 16 in defense recommended, as well as MS in utility/defense. I run 2/16/12 or 0/21/9 usually.

For items I'm gonna list a set of viable items.

Core: Boots, HoG, Philo Stone, Glacial Shroud.

You will build your core items in pretty much every game.

Good items:Frozen Heart, Randuins, Aegis, Wits End, Reverie, GA.

Sometimes build these:Banshee's Veil, Warmogs, Zeke's, Tri-Force (never early), Boots of Mobility, Force of Nature, Will of the Ancients (Your ryze is megafed and you haven't been doing anything in fights), Abyssal Scepter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    That's the kind of beard that says, "I'm rugged enough not to shave, but have good enough genetics/grooming habits that I can not consequentially look like a mountain rapist."
    Pokemon available/breedable (5iv):
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a big list, ask me. All pokemon will be perfect 5iv unless noted otherwise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3ds Code: 1590-5500-0148

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post
    Well, it goes without saying that boots giving the fastest time to clear your route, but they don't decrease the amount of time your spending at any given camp.
    Apparently not, cause it needed to be said. Also, what's your point? We're not comparing boots with anything that does decrease time spent at a given camp, so that's irrelevant to the comparison.

And while it's quite possible I'm wrong, I would think that starting with a pendent over boots is much more gold efficient, which as a jungler seems like semi-big deal.
    Its 70g more efficient in terms of HP pots not bought. However, if it costs you 1 failed kill during a gank, or 1 death from not being able to run away, that's costing you at *LEAST* 300g in death gold, not to mention time wasted.

And then there's the fact that since the boots start is faster, camps are respawning earlier, and thus, you're farming faster overall, there's another gold increase from the boots start, albeit a somewhat intangible one.

Also I mostly do solo queue, and ganking before your ult is up, or the laner's ult, generally seems to end the jungler dead, and both laners still alive. It's rare that I find a laner who will even attempt to help get that early kill unless they are pushed nearly all the back to their own tower. Instead they rather just passive farm as long as they can.
    *SOMEONE* is doing it wrong if you're never seeing successful lvl 4 ganks. And a successful gank can be as minor as simply blowing flash with minimal cost to your laner, allowing him to be more aggressive knowing his opponent simply can't commit as strongly anymore.

Also, not only should lvl 4 ganks be common, but lvl 2 and 3 ganks should be popping up on some junglers, such as Shaco, Lee Sin, Jarvan, and possibly Alistar. Hell, Skarner is one of the junglers who can do the wolves>blue>their red>gank path really well.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Titan in the Playground

Its 70g more efficient in terms of HP pots not bought. However, if it costs you 1 failed kill during a gank, or 1 death from not being able to run away, that's costing you at *LEAST* 300g in death gold, not to mention time wasted.

And then there's the fact that since the boots start is faster, camps are respawning earlier, and thus, you're farming faster overall, there's another gold increase from the boots start, albeit a somewhat intangible one.
    On the other hand, having to run back early or being caught with low life at the end of a clear could just as easily get you killed.

*SOMEONE* is doing it wrong if you're never seeing successful lvl 4 ganks. And a successful gank can be as minor as simply blowing flash with minimal cost to your laner, allowing him to be more aggressive knowing his opponent simply can't commit as strongly anymore.

Also, not only should lvl 4 ganks be common, but lvl 2 and 3 ganks should be popping up on some junglers, such as Shaco, Lee Sin, Jarvan, and possibly Alistar. Hell, Skarner is one of the junglers who can do the wolves>blue>their red>gank path really well.
    Yeah, i usualy do quite successfull level 2 ganks on Shyvana, and back when i was learning the game my level 3 Udyr ganks also went pretty well.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Banned

Thanks for the Skarner discussion. Been quite helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    Question: I usually start cloth 5 on Skarner jungle. Is regrowth + pots better on him?
    You can eventually convert that Cloth armor into Frozen Heart or Aegis (or Tabi if you're really lucky), but Cloth start is essentially the 'safe farm' start in contrast to Boots ganking start, and Regrowth is almost as safe as Cloth while accelerating your mana regen, which is a major limiting factor for Skarner. So I would take Regrowth in a situation where you normally take Cloth, and Boots otherwise.
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2012-10-12 at 04:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1078

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    On the other hand, having to run back early or being caught with low life at the end of a clear could just as easily get you killed.
    Exactly. I don't think people realize that is impossible to completely clear the jungle as skarner with boots+ 3 and stay at a health that enables ganking. You would either have to skip some jungle in order to gank (thus exchanging certain creep gold for uncertain kill gold) or start regen + 1 and take all the creep gold and have the possibility of perhaps getting a lucky gank before going base.

So either way you have to go base before you gank if you clear the entire jungle.

Again, let me make clear that this is for skarner ONLY, champions like Chogath or lee sin always want boots since they can sustain much better then skarner.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ettin in the Playground

Which isn't really a problem, since the effective health difference between a Regrowth+1 start and a boots+3 start is only ~60hp over the course of the first clear. If you were low with the boots start, you'd still be low with the regrowth, only now you'd be more vunlerable, since you're slower, and less likely to get away(1 auto from the invader negates the entire health bonus from Regrowth).

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Troll in the Playground

Exactly. I don't think people realize that is impossible to completely clear the jungle as skarner with boots+ 3 and stay at a health that enables ganking. You would either have to skip some jungle in order to gank (thus exchanging certain creep gold for uncertain kill gold) or start regen + 1 and take all the creep gold and have the possibility of perhaps getting a lucky gank before going base.
    Does anyone remember Skarner's basic clear time off of the top of their heads?

Because it doesn't take much to realize that Regrowth+1 doesn't actually offer that much more HP than boots+3 immediately after your initial clear.

It's pretty simple. Regrowth pendant offers 3 HP/second. However, you have two health potions less than the boots start jungler. At 150 HP a pop, that's a 300 HP deficit that Regrowth has to make up. At 3 HP/second, it takes Regrowth Pendant 1 minute and 40 seconds to break even with the boots start in terms of HP and that's assuming that you're always at less than full HP and thus benefiting from the regen. Since Regrowth doesn't kick in until you start taking damage, and in a normal jungle scenario you'll never start taking damage until 1:40, you aren't actually any safer in terms of straight HP until 3 minutes and 20 seconds into the game. Even then, you aren't significantly ahead of the boots start until the 4 minute mark, and while you're marginally more capable of ganking with safe HP after your initial clear you're significantly less capable of ganking in the first place. Bootsless Skarner doesn't scare anyone.
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2012-10-12 at 05:37 PM.