New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Ocean Monster? (DStP exclusive question)

Just finished reading the Whole Story box that I got from the Kickstarter. (And it was pretty awesome, especially the three print-only books, as I'd never read them before). Anyway, I had one question from the last book, Don't Split the Party:

During the first extra sequence (Elan and Lien go diving), they're caught by a crab, which then scurries away when something blurry approaches and then vanishes. Has this 'something' been referenced again? It's been a while since I read through all of the Western Continent strips, and I wasn't sure if I missed something.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Ocean Monster? (DStP exclusive question)

Spoiler
    Show

That was the Mama Black Dragon--black dragons are aquatic creatures.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's also a reference to Babylon 5. On the next page, Lien uses the very same words to describe it that are used by some caption to describe to John Sheridan how he saw (or not-really-saw) a Shadow Vessel in Hyperspace.
    The dragon-shadow also looks a bit like a Shadow Vessel.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

i suppose you did not read the commentaries, because rich explains there that the shadow is the balck dragon, and that he didn't include the scene in the online comic becuase he felt that someone would have realized that - and would have shared it with all the forum. hence no more surprise when the dragon arrives to V.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    It's also a reference to Babylon 5. On the next page, Lien uses the very same words to describe it that are used by some caption to describe to John Sheridan how he saw (or not-really-saw) a Shadow Vessel in Hyperspace.
    The dragon-shadow also looks a bit like a Shadow Vessel.
    Wait, what?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    i suppose you did not read the commentaries, because rich explains there that the shadow is the balck dragon, and that he didn't include the scene in the online comic becuase he felt that someone would have realized that - and would have shared it with all the forum. hence no more surprise when the dragon arrives to V.
    I didn't know either until I asked the forum, and I read the commentaries religiously. I didn't check before replying, but I'm pretty sure he never called it a black dragon, just saying he didn't want to drop a hint that big.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Wait, what?
    Exactly that. It's in the second season, I think it's when the Hyperspace-building ship visits the station (with Captain Maynard? it's years since I saw the show last) who tells Sheridan that. Sheridan asks if Maynard has seen any "strange" things in hyperspace, and Maynard replies with what Lien tells Elan.
    If I remember correctly, it's the first time someone who has actually seen shadows talks about it to the main characters (plot exposition!)

(Just that a "caption" is actually a captain )
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Exactly that. It's in the second season, I think it's when the Hyperspace-building ship visits the station (with Captain Maynard? it's years since I saw the show last) who tells Sheridan that. Sheridan asks if Maynard has seen any "strange" things in hyperspace, and Maynard replies with what Lien tells Elan.
    If I remember correctly, it's the first time someone who has actually seen shadows talks about it to the main characters (plot exposition!)

(Just that a "caption" is actually a captain )
    See, I figured that was the episode you were talking about, but that's not at all the dialogue I remember. I'll have to check to be sure, though.

If it is, my mind is totally blown. I've owned DstP for some time, owned Babylon 5 on DVD for a much longer time, and never picked up on that.

9. - Top - End - #9

You made me insecure now. S02E04, 10:30 minutes in. But it is not the scene I meant. I know those words, but if it's not the Maynard-one, I'm not entirely sure where to look.
    Now as I think about it: It could be a bit later in that season - that other pilot Keffer asks about the shadows (which he has seen at the end of this E04). Do you remember in what episode the dialogue between Keffer and the pilot happens?
    Last edited by Winter; 2012-10-08 at 04:04 AM.