1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Moral Philosophy

Is it ok to discuss moral philosophy on the boards, as long as one keeps religion out of it? The reason I'm asking is that moral philosophy touches on many of the things religions do. And it's certainly capable of arousing the same ire in people.

Someday you will depart, but till that distant day
    Sing, and dance.
    Eat your fill of warm cooked food and cool jugs of beer.
    Cherish the children your love gave life.
    Bathe away life's dirt in warm drawn waters.
    Pass the time in joy with your chosen wife.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Moral Philosophy

I'd advise against it, due to having the same flame war potential as a lot of other topics that are banned here.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I've had an extended debate on Aristotle and the meaning of the term "loyalty" on these boards before, but I'd also advise care because it really can get heated depending on who gets involved.
    Soul Tracer avatar by Thanqol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

My hunch: Your topic would be OK under the forum rules, but at some point the thread would end up locked because of where it went after you started the discussion.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm thinking that if we discuss aristotle and plato or so forth we should be fine. These are universal themes across human nature.

Where the line gets crossed is if we start bringing in St. Thomas Aquinas or St. Augustine, when we start bringing in theologians to answer questions which cannot be answered by philosophy.

I think the line also gets crossed if you try to apply universal philosophy too closely to current problems. For example, if I start trotting out 'New world order' or "illuminati" or what not -- as real world things and not something out of a Shadowrun campaign -- then I've gone out of the realm of philosophy and into politics.

Philosophy and general discussion of human nature is abstract and within forum scope. Practical application and specific pointing out of current figures or near-historical is politics and off-limits.

The Ur-test is this: Is the topic likely to kick off a flame war? If it is not, it'll be allowed so long as it doesn't stray into forbidden topics. The more inflammatory a thread is, the more buttons it pushes, the more closely it will be monitored and the more susceptible to locking.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2012-09-19 at 01:44 PM.
    "Opportunities to do good are everywhere but the darkness is where the light needs to be".

-- Eliezer Yudkowski, author of "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: This is a good example of something that could be inappropriate from the first post or could be discussed for a while before inevitably straying in to inappropriate religious/political/trolling/flaming territory. It just depends on exactly what is said. Not surprisingly, I'd advise against opening such a thread. Even if the OP isn't a rules violation, it's going to lead to some rules violations, more work for the mods, and probably not produce the kind of discussion the OP was looking for anyway. But it would have to be judged by exactly what is said.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-09-19 at 03:05 PM.
    Headless Roland by Chris the Pontifex
    Now gauging interest for Still Flyin' a potential PbP game using the new Firefly RPG.

Forum Rules