New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: IC II Toes In The Water

Natalia takes his statement seriously. "More orcs yesterday?!"

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt nods a little. "We haven't decided yet...we'll help you hold out until the soldiers get here at least. And while I'm here I might as well work and help you prepare. After all, I suggested it."

3. - Top - End - #423
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mithril whispered in Natalia's ear"I think he means Henry left around that time, we would know if the orcs came again. The town wouldn't look like this if they had." Speaking out loud she asked Max "I prepared a few spells that may work to help build defenses. One will help move lighter objects, I could lift supplies up to builders. I also prepared a spell that will add armor to people so they may scout the area, and a few attacks, just in case the orcs arrive early."

Spoiler
    Show
    4 Mage Hand
    3 Mage Armor
    2 Acid Arrow
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

4. - Top - End - #424

"Oh," Natalia says, slightly pink. "...Thanks."

She looks at Max. "Second scout, more area...to cover. Or traps to make." Either one she can do.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

"Bring the fight to them, indeed!" says Shiny as he gobbles down his breakfast. "It's time the orcs learned what it's like to be terrorized themselves." The morning has brought new vigor to Shiny's attitude, as previous mornings have- no traces of the previous night's solemnity remain.

"It's time to head out, find an orc raiding party, and begin our deception. We'll need to head in the same direction as those scouts who haven't returned..." Shiny thinks for a moment, and then grabs a piece of charcoal and starts scribbling patterns and symbols on the table, as though preparing a complex and sophisticated strategy. Only someone who speaks Gnome would notice that he's actually just constructing a new dirty joke.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam tries hard but has trouble finding sleep. Too many confusing and depressing thoughts. Finally, in the middle of the night, she gets up and looks at her mace. 'Did i imagine it turned into the Mace that Never Forgets or was it a sign from St. Cuthbert? What about the extra divine power she felt? Was it adrenaline or was St. Cuthbert giving me a sign?'

She looks deep down decides that St. Cuthbert gave her a sign. She still has numerous questions for Him to answer but she feels that her God cares about her. That will not erase the use and abuse she took from Calric in St. Cuthbert name but she gets the sense that may be, St Cuthbert is trying to accomplish something through her. She feels somehow chosen.

'St, Cuthbert, I will wait for more signs but I have renewed my faith. I cannot right all the wrongs Calric did but I can do all I can to help Mary be reunited with her son as a start. I also need to retrieve the relic of St. Cuthbert. It does not belong in the hand of someone like Calric. I will do what ever else you ask me to do.'

She looks at the moon through the window of the room and suddenly realizes something that scares her immensely 'Meeting Mary was not an accident. St. Cuthbert guided me to Hulburg and exposed the lie and scam of my past. He also sent the ogres to force me to decide if I wanted to continue to live or not. I need to start living my life in the present and hope for the future.'

That thought makes cold sweat run down her spine. 'Hope. Hope is scary.'

As her friends wake up, she is already deep into silent prayers and meditation. She join them in silence for breakfast. She looks older and tired but it looks like she is actually paying attention to the conversation around her. When everyone is done talking she said 'I believe the Gnome has spoken the true course of action. '.

She pulls out a flask and pours some water on a tiny plate. ]]Mithril, I have remembered that celestial touched creatures do have a taste for Holy Water. I decided to make some earlier today. I believe Whiskers will like it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

7. - Top - End - #427

Against her better judgment, Natalia looks at Shiny's scribbles, mentally sounding out and translating the words in her head. About two-thirds of the way through she stops short and her eyes seem to cross when she realizes just what he's writing.

"Glrrk!"

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt winces a little at the scraping and the loud noises around him. "Shouldn't we wait until the militia arrives to head out? The town might need us before then..."

He's start checking his weapon and armour for dings or nicks he needs to take out, though he has to stop every minute or so to stop his hands shaking, thinking to himself (as always) 'Ugh, never that much again. Never never never. It's not worth it.'

9. - Top - End - #429

"I agree, an offensive against the Orcs may be our best defense. The soldiers are on their way, what help can we offer besides holding some villagers hands as the wield shovel and axe?" Valen contributes to the conversation, always in favor of overt action. He pays little heed to Shiny's scribblings.

I hate to say it, but the gnome is making sense....

Max
    Taking in all of their suggestions,"Well, I'm sure we could use you, but it may be in our best interest if the fighting is kept away from the town as long as possible. There are few predators that will ignore attacks to their flanks." As Max speaks, you get the sense he's done more than tend bar in his life, there may lie the sole of a soldier or adventurer behind his grilled exterior.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam sits there, hoping that Whiskers will go try her Holy water. She does not speak gnome so she has no idea what Shiny is writing.

She has spoken her peace and now wait for the group to decides. She nods in silence as Valen speaks.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #431

Natalia says, "Strategy, not a...blind charge. Why we lived, ogres died."

She feels that there's little the group can do here now, but she doesn't want to just rush into the orc camp and be overwhelmed. Besides, what's the point of attacking them if they're not attacking first? There's a difference between aggression and defense.

12. - Top - End - #432

"Celestially touched? Well, it can't hurt to try." Mithril pulled Whiskers off her shoulder where he was attempting to continue his sleep. He grumbled a little before spotting the water Miriam had poured out. What could only be described as a grin spread across his face as he started to lap the water down.

13. - Top - End - #433

Natalia blinks. "Holy weasel..." It was just a little joke!

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

A smile forms on Miriam's tired face as she sees Whiskers lap the Holy Water. She pets him as he laps and adds more water when he is finished.

She looks at Mithril 'Your familiar has definitively a touch of celestial in him. You are a good woman. This kind of creature only associates with very good people.'
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #435

"Smote your nightmares?" Natalia asks quietly. Miriam looks better, as if her fever broke. But Natalia' seen people get infections from harvesting accidents, a slipped sickle or misplaced nail...The infection could come back any time.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam's smiles disappears from her face. "Nightmare means that they stop when you wake up." she says cryptically.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437

Natalia sighs. Of course she had to press it. She wants to get to the bottom of this, but not in public. She's afraid of what might spill out. "...Later?"

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam nods. "Later is fine. I have my entire life to deal with it."

She goes back petting Whiskers and then she feels bad. She gives the holy water flask to Mithril "He should be getting this from you, not from a stranger like me."

She pushes the small bowl in front of Mithril and whatever joy Whiskers had brought disappears from her face to be replace by the stern look of someone carrying a lot of responsibilities.
    Last edited by achinca; 2012-10-15 at 12:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #439

"You are no stranger, he knows and trusts you. But thank you for the water." She stroked Whiskers as she placed the flask in her pack, carefully placing soft items around it to protect it.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam forces her smile but she is sad inside. For a few seconds she had felt a connection, as if someone loved her, even if it was just because of the water. But she knew she did the right decision. Whiskers belonged to Mithril and she should be the source of the Holy water. But making the right decision made feelt even emptier inside.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441

Why was she separating herself from everybody else? "Team, not strangers."

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam nods at Natalia. "Yes team.'

But she thinks "Yes like I was the sunshine of his life. How he had finally found true love he had be waiting for. How he took these vows of chastity. People are not who they are. Regardless of how close we think we are, we are all strangers to each other."

She continues, hiding her thoughts "It is just that Whiskers connection is with Mithril. Not with me."
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #443

"His connection with you is less stressful." Mithril picked up Whiskers and stared into his eyes, his back feet indignantly kicking at the air. "Sometimes it is like having a little sibling that is constantly in your head."

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

She forces a smile "His connection with me is through Holy water. I think that he would go to anyone with Holy water." She stops before continuing "It must be nice knowing that someone is always there for you, loves you conditionally and would die for you."

She bites her lips and shakes her head as if she does not want to cry. She gets up "I think we should be moving. Time is not moving in our favor ...."
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #445

Max

Ignoring the rodent on his table, Max keeps the conversation going, "Men of Hulberg are on foot ye say..hmm... Makes their arrival around nightfall tonight.". He looks inquisitively at the group, almost like he doesn't want to know, "How many did you say were coming?"

Max seems lost in thought. "I know where those Orcs lay, it's at least a days hard march through rough terrain. Those Mt. Caves can be treacherous, you're likely to find more than one enterence to the cave systems if you look hard enough. You'd best leave today if you are to arrive before the fifth day."

Max adds almost reluctantly, "Word of warning, if you see that one eyed bastard, kill him. Dont hesitate. And don't get lost in those caves, there are scarier things than Orcs there."

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks at Max "To the mount Caves it is. What ever scary things are out there cannot be as dark and as evil as the human soul. And if we find the evil priest of Gruumsh, and it is St. Cuthbert will that we prevail, I will gladly bring you his head .. or his eye ...."

Still very solemn, she looks at the always eye candy barbarian mage "Valen, can you track?'
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447

"Baker's dozen, extra as lead," Natalia replies to Max.

Hearing the time pressure, she shakes her head. "If we're needed here? Can't...just vanish."

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt glances at Miriam and frowns again. "A soul can be dark as hell or bright as heaven. You will guides it." He rubs the sleep out of his eyes. "Before we leave I'm going to go and look around the defences. If the big one can't track, my eyes are closer to the ground."

29. - Top - End - #449

Responding to Miriam and Kurt, "Aye, I can...but I'd prefer to keep my eyes out for trouble, the dwarf can barely see over a stump."

Better off with the dwarf in the lead...

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam nods and in a passionless voice replies to Valen. "OK. I will close the rear. I can take a hit if attacked by behind. St. Cthbert knows I can take a hit due to treachery."

Her eyes wanders and she sees Mithril petting Whiskers. Coldness returns in her eyes. She nods at Max and moves out of the Inn.
    Spoiler
    Show