New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: IC II Toes In The Water

Natalia stays close to Mithril, but comes over when Kurt and Valen find something. She gasps when she first sees the bow, then sighs in relief as its large and thick frame and withed string tell her it's not Henry's. She easily recognizes the four orange flasks and says, "Bottled flame."

She winces at the bone shards that fall from the cloak, then scrabbles at her eyes, trying to scrape the horrible fleeting image of Mithril like that from her mind. Shaking it off, she finally says, "...A long time. Longer...Longer than orcs...Must be Alabastor's cave." Looking to Valen, she asks, "...Magic, right?"

Natalia calls Mithril over, saying, "Magic items...found through time." She stands close to her.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-10-29 at 10:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Thank you, thank you thank you." Mithril hugged Natalia, clinging onto her as she sobbed into her shoulder. Trying to stand she leaned on the girl for support. She rubbed her neck, where she could feel light bruising.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

3. - Top - End - #693

Natalia just holds her and holds her. She touches her long fingers to the bruises on Mithril's neck, as if she can will away that awful ring. She gently runs the soft pads of her fingertips around her neck, pausing at the now-intact bands ringing her trachea, staying still to let the now-strong rush of blood through her carotid arteries pulse beneath her. With a shudder, Natalia holds Mithril closer.

At some point, Natalia shows Mithril the cloak and says, "Old, though...Looks new. From...Unlucky ones," then adds, "Magic...I think, like this cavern. Old, forgotten, meant to be...Alabastor's cave...I know it." She tries to give Mithril a smile, though there's still fear behind it. What else could be deeper in? They'll have to be careful to explore further.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-10-29 at 11:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #694

Valens eyes flash as uses his still present arcane sight to look upon the item.

"It possesses enchantment, yes, weak abjurative in nature."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft(d20+5)[19]
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-10-30 at 07:22 AM.

5. - Top - End - #695

"Like yours?" Natalia asks. Without any hesitation she drapes the cloak over Mithril's shoulders, all the while nonverbally asking permission from the others to give this to her. Maybe this would offer her better protection.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kurt should get the longbow, no question--he got shorted last time. Who should get the items and who should get the cloak?

What does the entering cavern look like? Natalia tries to get a good idea before the light fades. She asks, "Timetable?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-10-30 at 08:22 AM.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam shakes her head. "Just making sure everyone stays alive. No big deal".

She takes a step toward Mithril and gently brushes her hair. "Now, you stop running into black hole, you silly girl."

She looks at Valen "How about you put some armor to protect that nice specimen of human male anatomy the gods gifted you with?"

Finally, when Natalia mentions exploring more, she shakes her head. "We can come back later after finding out more about MAx's ancestor. Right now we got to save the orcs." and she adds in her head "And after that Mary's son"
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

7. - Top - End - #697

Natalia nods. "Prepare for this...Old magic, traps, ambushes, could run deep." She's excited about the prospect of finding and studying magical traps, but knows that it won't be an easy task, especially with such a close deadline before them.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

As the group is looting the remains of the choker lunch, Miriam shakes her head in disgust.

"Do you have to do that? Can't you respect it as a tomb? Is nothing sacred? Greed! Greed is all you care about."

She walks out of the cave and wait for the group to restart their journey.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #699

Once they leave the cave, Natalia replies, "Choker...Saw meals, not tombs. And..." she looks around, "Odd for a tomb. What if...Hidden, left for kin?" Pointing to the cloak, Natalia adds, "Useless here, waste if...If a shroud, no more. Living items for living, not dead.

10. - Top - End - #700

Natalia explores the cavern as far as she can see, with Mithril close to her if she wants to as well. Both her weapons are drawn and ready.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-10-30 at 11:54 AM.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam from outside the cave replies to Natalia "Someone died here as the chocker got him. We should respect that. I do not believe in looting the dead. It is wrong. It is just greed talking."

She shakes her head in anger and looks at all her equipment "I wish I did not need all of this to do good ....."
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #702

Walking outside the tomb Mithril tried to explain her reasoning for wearing the dead man's cloak. "He died trying to explore, the most honor we can do is to survive to explore what he was curious about. When we return we can give him a proper burial, and maybe find his descendants."
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt glances at Miriam, shaking his head a little at her words. "If I die, I hope someday people will be able to use what I am wearing to help defend people. The dead are dead. It's not greed to accept that."

14. - Top - End - #704

Natalia also adds, "Wills and inheritance...The same. Just, here, no writing, no contract. Scavenged inheritance." She does think they should bury what's left though.

She also gives the heavy longbow to Kurt, saying, "Equal to yours? Or better?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-10-30 at 04:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #705

Valen frowns at Miriam's comment, "The dead have little use for such thing, we do." Valen states, rather matter of factly.

Watching Natalia move down the cavern way, "Be careful little one, let those who see in such places explore."
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-10-30 at 05:27 PM.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny walks outside the cave, obstensibly to get some fresh air, but he keeps his eyes on Miriam.

"You seem upset, holywoman. Is something the matter?"

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt picks it up, running his hand along the wood. "It's a longbow. It's different...but good, I think. If no-one has a use for it but me, I'll take it."

18. - Top - End - #708

Natalia nods and says, "Banish the dark."

As the light starts to fade, she offers Mithril her arm and leaves the cavern for another day.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam shakes her head at the group "you can justify the way you want but you are still looting dead people to use their equipment or sell their equipment to buy new thing. To me it is greed in its purest form. Pure and simple."

She steps away and looks at her equipment. I really hope no one will loot my body if I fall. Actually, I wish I could do good and serve St. Cuthbert without having to wear all that stuff. I am just not strong enough to do it. But I would give a lot to be able to help protect people while not having to be owned by all that stuff."

When Shiny addresses her, she does not take him seriously. "Nothing Shiny Talemaster and Halfling Lawyer. Everything is fine."
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #710

Natalia disagrees. "Calling...Survival, recycling, inheritance greed. Greedy if...Money, items willed to you?" It would all go to waste otherwise.

The rest of what Miriam says is slightly worrisome, but Natalia ignores it at the time.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-10-30 at 08:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

While I normally wouldn't roll opposed rolls against PCs, this is the kind of thing Shiny may or may not notice, so I'll do it for roleplaying sake:

Sense Motive: (1d20+4)[9]

Shiny nods before wandering back into the cave. "Glad to hear it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Another time.
    Last edited by Admiral; 2012-10-30 at 09:36 PM.

22. - Top - End - #712

Natalia stops Shiny as he wanders back into the cave. "No time to...be a snack!" She tosses him a couple of the acid flasks and alchemist fires. "If...No room for magic."

Almost immediately she regrets it, and the look of What have I just wrought? is rather plain on her face.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-10-30 at 09:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam patiently wait until the group is ready to resume its march.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #714

As the sun climbs higher and higher into the sky, the group of stalwart warriors continues on their way to the great bird stone. Knowing that they are nearing their intended destination the group slows down and begins moving carefully trying to avoid any notice if their enemies would be watching...

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving out, Taking 10 on Move silently and Hide with the -5 penalty(Shiny Only) for actually making descent time. Taking 10 on move silently too. Makes the 30 minute journey take 1hr. 2hr if you would rather be full stealth mode(no penalty), 10 hrs if you would like ludicrous stealth mode(taking 20 on both).

Spot Checks
    Miriam(d20+5)[23]
    Kurt(d20)[9]
    Shiny(d20-2)[15]
    Natalia(d20+7)[20]
    Mithril(d20+3)[9]
    Valen (d20)[10]

Listen Checks
    Miriam(d20+3)[10]
    Kurt(d20)[10]
    Shiny(d20-2)[10]
    Natalia(d20+7)[16]
    Mithril(d20+3)[18]
    Valen (d20+3)[14]
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-10-31 at 10:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #715

As before, Natalia is nearly silent in the undergrowth and her black hair and brown coat blend in with the jagged rocks around them, but Shiny and Kurt aren't nearly so stealthy.

26. - Top - End - #716

Not wanting the orcs to be aware of everyone's presence, Natalia whispers to the others, "Shadow before you, sneak and scout." before slipping off a bit ahead, making sure to remain within eyeshot of Miriam. She doesn't stray more than 20 or 30 feet away from the others, making sure to keep an eye and ear out for them as well as the orcs. She won't let another choker happen.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-10-31 at 12:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #717

Miriam's keen eyesight catches sight of an opening about a 150 yards away though the thick of the valley undergrowth. The land around this section of mountainous terrains appears to have been cleared away by someone or something. Its also quite near to the Great Bird stone which can be seen to the west along the skyline, though no one can see the opening to the Orc caves, if these are indeed them. The terrain to the north rises steeply becoming more mountainous.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam stops and points to an opening "Over there. Someone or something made a clearing. Not sure if it is the orcs cave but it is an access next to the Bird Stone".

She points the opening until everyone can see it.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #719

Natalia doubles back to the rest of the group when she hears Miriam; she wasn't too far away. Looking at the clearing, she says, "For many to move?"

30. - Top - End - #720

Something else comes to the rogue and she frowns. "Clearing for...Sight? Attack from above, better hunting in fields than forests." She looks up at the mountains above. It's always advantageous to attack from the high ground.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-11-01 at 05:03 PM.