New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: IC II Toes In The Water

Natalia looks at Miriam and whispers, "Didn't...Need quiet, though...I'd..." She trails off. Why did Miriam do that? Looking at Mithril, she asks, "Enough armor for you too?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Kurt's carrying Miriam's masterwork scale armor to sell later, right?

Also, Athedia, we have a new OOC thread.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-11-25 at 09:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Firbolg in the Playground

Miriam responds to Natalia, "Have no fear child, my faith is more than enough to protect me, armor would merely weigh my soul down.". Miriam is oddly at piece as she grasps the old walking stick with some fresh crude carvings.

3. - Top - End - #1233

"I think so, I have heard of these circlets before. It should let me save my magic, and I can make it longer once a day." She raised her hand with a questioning look in her face, as an offer to Miriam to give her some protection.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

4. - Top - End - #1234

Ntalia quickly pats the Orc down, finding nothing but a rusty block caked knife on his belt.

5. - Top - End - #1235

"Worship Gond, but still...Hide behind blast glass in experiments," Natalia says, taking the dagger and throwing it aside, into the pit. If someone comes running from behind she'd rather not that they have another weapon.

With a smile, she tells Mithril, "Protect us all."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-11-25 at 10:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1236

Miriam dismisses Mithrils hand, "Protect yourself, I am protected." looking to Natalia, "But you lack trust."

7. - Top - End - #1237

"Trust myself, trust my strength. Know my strength best, because it's mine," Natalia whispers, somewhat terse. She's not going to continue this here and end up springing an ambush. Once they get outside though...

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny leans over the orc's corpse, along with the animal carcass it was dragging. "Someone should push this into the chasm, if anyone finds it they'll raise the alarm."
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

9. - Top - End - #1239

Natalia looks at Shiny and shakes her head. She's not strong enough to do it quickly, and they need to hurry.

10. - Top - End - #1240

Valen sets his blade down for an instance and drags the Orc body to the chasm, sending it over as Kurt drabs the carcass along with him, cleaning his axe off on the Orcs clothing first.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-25 at 10:30 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1241

"Hurry," Natalia says, her eyes flitting back and forth in the darkness.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

a few hours before .......

Miriam looks as the entire group goes greed crazy looking at the items they are finding in Alabaster's tomb. She tried to stop them or shame them but they dismissed her wisdom. She did not blame them. After all, she was wearing a dead man armor, mace, shield and holy symbol.

However, that armor was weighting heavier and heavier on her and the sight of her friends taking the goods from the dead left her with an awful taste in her mouth. But she did not say anything. She knew she was not a good moral compass for them.

She felt better when she gave her mace to Kurt and when he broke it, exposing the gold and diamond powder which would help her get closer to the orphanage in Hillsfar, she felt relieved. She pocketed the coins and the diamond power, thanking St. Cuthbert for his generosity.

Valen used the wand to depetrify Natalia and she understood that some good could come from using things find in tombs but the greed of her teammates really disturbed it. Natalia, now awake went crazy looking for stuff and she decides to go to sleep or pretend to do so. She did not want any of to know how she really felt, how disgusted and repulsed she was by the entire situation. Their greed was sickening to her but she knew she had failed to provide guidance and wisdom.

She took her her armor and her shield and in a sudden decision, took also her holy symbol. It felt strange but she felt freer for some reason. She curled into a ball as the rest of the group spent their time and their energy identifying magic items and fighting over them.

To her surprise, she felt asleep immediately, as soon as she said her prayer to St, Cuthbert. The dream started, as usual. Claric was there, with a bunch of young Mary's delivering young Calrics. They all looked at her and asked why? why are you not pregant? Each question would become a chain over her body until she finally kneeled. She was getting more chains over her when St. Cuthbert appeared and chased all the Marys and all the Calrics. Suddenly she was near a beautiful pristine lake, with a sky blue azure of a total purity. St. Cuthbert smiled at him and a pair of white unicorns appear.
    "Miriam, you can shed these chains if you want. You can chase your doubt and your discomfort. You can choose to be reborn."
    Miriam looked at the unicorns, not understanding what they were saying. "But how?"
    "Material possessions weight you down. Possessions end up possessing you. Give it all away. You have always felt for the poor. Now walk in their shoes. Become one of them by choice and spend all your time and energy helping them."
    Miriam understood finally. The path became clear. One by one the chains broke. She stood up and took one step. St. Cuthbert appeared "Understand my little Miriam, what I am asking you to do. You will own nothing. You will be limited to the magic I feel like granted you. You will need to beg and be mocked. As your friends will become wealthier and wealthier and will meet royalty, you will be the beggar they will stop at the door. People will throw stone at you. Your friend will think you have gone mad. All you will have will be a robe, a stick and sandals. But if you agree to live as a poor I will grant you power to help you in your quests. I am not asking you, my little Miriam to vow purity or innocence or chastity. I want extreme poverty. You will need to beg for food until I feel you won't need to eat. Do you understand?"

Miriam smiled. It all became clear. She let her shield fall. She took off her armor and holy symbol. She shed all her clothes. Naked as a new born in front of her God, she smiles and started to walk in the lake. The unicorns followed and became dolphins. Miriam kept walking and went under water. She could breathes normally. She felt purified. All the touches, all the evil of Calric seemed to be washed away. She smiled and keep walking until she crossed the lake.

On the shore of a lake stood two white snowy owls. They smiled at her and flew away, revealing a dirty browm beaten robe, a pair of old sandal and a walking stick. Miriam put on the robe and the sandals and picked up the walking stick. She heard St. Cuthbert say "You are ready my Little Miriam. Take you vow."

Miriam woke up and felt rested and more lucid than ever. She closed her eyes and said "St. Cuthbert, on your name I take a vow of poverty. I swear that I will never own anything of value and any wealth I ever come in contact with will be given to the poor."

She waited and suddenly felt stronger and wiser. She took the quarterstaff that had belonged to Alabaster, picked up her dagger and tried to carve a holy symbol of St. Cuthbert. The carving was of poor quality and barely looked like the symbol of St. Cuthbert but Miriam felt its power. She took some water and using the symbol, turned it into holy water for Whiskers and smile. She gave a final look at her former armor, shield and holy silver and got up.

The group had woken up by now so Miriam approached Valen. She kneeled in f ront of the warrior and said "Mightly Valen, I am begging you on my knees to please share some of your food with me."

The warrior smiled and lifted the cleric off her knees. "You do not have to beg with me MyLady. I need less and less food so I am happy to share with you."

Miriam thanked Valen profusely.

As the group got ready to enter the orcs caves she said. "Just be concerned about what you took from this resting place of Alabaster. Sometimes the dead play tricks. And remember what his staff did to Max .... I would be concerned, especially you, young Natalia."

She follows the group silently, wearing her sandals and traveller outfit, using the staff as a walking stick.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt beckons the others close until they reach the fork the orc came out of. "He came out this one...so, I think we should go this way. I'll tell you if we start going deeper into the cave and we can turn back if needs be."

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

14. - Top - End - #1244

Natalia nods, "Let's not...Stumble on dining room." She ignores Miriam's lectures for the time being.

15. - Top - End - #1245

Once the party is sheltered in Light again, the begin moving down the tunnel. Shiny uncharacteristic ally leading the way, followed closely by Kurt and Natalia. Miriam bring the middle and her magical Light followed by Mithril. Valen takes the Rearguard position.

The reach the fork in the tunnel, theOrc had come from the right, Kurt believes both tunnels will bring them towards the surface, though the left may be deeper in the Mountain. He also knows that as far as they have gone that may not be indicative of the fastest route out.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-26 at 11:43 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam hold her staff with the light spell on, happy to help the group see. She feels serene but does not volunteer any opinion on which way to go. She does not seem to care one way or another.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny, in the lead, tramps on down the right corridor.

Spoiler
    Show

Just want to make a decision! I think if the orc is bringing animal carcasses from the right it actually means that's the faster way out.

Current Map

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt glances at the other one, then shrugs and follows Shiny - better to make a decision and stick with it than stand and bicker.

Spoiler
    Show

My thinking was to avoid the main area of the orcs, to avoid civilians as much as possible, but this is fine.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

19. - Top - End - #1249

Natalia grabs Shiny and whispers, "No, don't...Walk into dining room!"

Spoiler
    Show
    It should be self-explanatory why I think it's a bad idea to go on that route.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny whispers back, "Shiny Twotummy, shameless gourmand and epic poet, has never been afraid to go into a dining room in his life." But he shrugs and leads the party down the left corridor instead.

Current Map

21. - Top - End - #1251

As the Gnome starts down the right runnel a gasp can be heard form the Rogue, in a grand feint the Gnome turns on a dime and actually begins walking down the left most corridor. As they advance it doesn't take long before they encounter another fork in the tunnel.

Kurt is fairly positive that the left most fork is heading deeper into the mountain while the right fork is a shallower path.

Mithril's keen ears hear something from the left most tunnel, its sounds almost like a snort and a whine. She also hears what sounds like the clank of metal from the right.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot Checks
    Miriam(d20+5)[8]
    Kurt(d20)[13]
    Shiny(d20-2)[3]
    Natalia(d20+8)[17]
    Mithril(d20+3)[23]
    Valen (d20)[7]

Listen Checks
    Miriam(d20+3)[11]
    Kurt(d20)[13]
    Shiny(d20-2)[-1]
    Natalia(d20+8)[9]
    Mithril(d20+3)[19]
    Valen (d20+3)[8]

For Simplicity sake I'm assuming that all of you are taking 10 on your move Silently and Hide checks, will make things easier.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hide
    Miriam(d20-4)[10]
    Kurt(d20-2)[5]
    Shiny(d20+7)[10]
    Natalia(d20+10)[29]
    Mithril(d20+2)[16]
    Valen (d20+3)[16]

Move Silently
    Miriam(d20-4)[-1]
    Kurt(d20-2)[11]
    Shiny(d20+5)[14]
    Natalia(d20+10)[19]
    Mithril(d20+2)[17]
    Valen (d20+3)[14]

Last edited by Zman; 2012-11-26 at 01:05 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1252

Again, the echoes in the cavern make it hard to pinpoint sounds, but somehow Natalia makes herself nearly silent and invisible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oof on the listen check. At least Mithril rolled well. Also, Miriam doesn't have an AC penalty to hide and move silently anymore.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny pauses and looks back at his party, somehow resisting the urge to explain Shiny Mazemaster's opinion about which path to take.

Current Map

24. - Top - End - #1254

Mithril whispered to those ahead of her "Metal to the right, but animal sounds to the left. Rather not face enemies, animals are easier to deal with."
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Troll in the Playground

"Facing enemies is why we're here," says Shiny. But still he trudges down the left corridor.

Current Map

26. - Top - End - #1256

Natalia nods. "Flesh over steel," she says. She whispers to Kurt, "Surface soon?" They may have to start heading into enemies, if that's the only way out...

If Kurt shares his knowledge that left heads deeper, Natalia asks, "Risk combat for escape?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-11-26 at 01:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1257

The Gnome Mazerunner again chooses the left most turn, lead one to wonder if he was just choosing the left most fork each time....

The room opens up in front of you to a large high ceiling cavern, though the torchlight doesn't see it, you can hear the snorting and whimpering Mithril hear, its a room full on young and female Orcs, a couple dozen in total. The room expands beyond your darkvision and torchlight but appears to continue off to your right without going deeper into the larger cavern.

Spoiler
    Show

A Sleep spell would be able to sleep 3-4 "Civilian" Orcs per HD, to 12-16 Orcs per casting if you choose this route. It'd take 4 castings to subdue the room.

28. - Top - End - #1258

Natalia gulps when she realizes where they wandered. "Leave," she hisses to the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Are they awake?

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny spins around on his heel. "Wrong way, wouldn't you say? Unless..." he takes a look at Kurt's axe, looks back at the room of civilians, and then shakes his head clear. "Yes, let's go back."

Spoiler
    Show
    Have they noticed us yet? Even if they have, I say we turn around.

Current Map

30. - Top - End - #1260

As the adventurers wonder into a room full of women and children they begin squeezing and screaming, the sound begins to echo...

The shadowy forms can be dimly seen in the cold firelight of the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    You walked in with a bunch of torches.