New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Belkar keeps getting damaged by certain spells...

I'd like to point out that here we see Belkar being affected by BOTH of the Vitriolic Spheres cast by Z, but he has at least a +12 modifier to Reflex saves (probably higher; only based off of minimum Dex score), as well as Evasion. The DCs for those spells range from 18-20, and Belkar's average roll against them would be a 22/23.

There is also a mere 30-40% chance that he would be subject to either casting, and a 9-16% chance that he would fail both saves. That means that there is less than a 1/6 chance of that happening again. He could have, of course, taken flaws to lower his Reflex saves, but that seems unlikely. I just think that he should be portrayed more as the Ranger that he is.

Are there any other "unlikely failures" that we've seen in the Oots?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Belkar keeps getting damaged by certain spells...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Sometimes you roll three 20s in a row, other times you can't roll higher than a 7 the whole night. That's just how it goes.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I wouldn't call a 10% chance of failing both saves to be that unlikely, to be honest. If it was a 1% chance then I'd be with you!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

A 10% change is even "fairly decent" to hit. If I told you there's ten doors and behind one is 100k $ and behind another "certain death" (the others are just dummies), I am pretty sure you'd not take that chance.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

6. - Top - End - #6

The argument you have is an equally good one for 1/10 being too high to risk and for it being too low to bother. Try "if behind 9 doors is $100k, behind the last one certain death."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Rich got a "hobbit fajita" line out of, whatever the hell that may be.

That's all the reason anybody needs
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Seriously. That's more like a 'hobbit ceviche.'

Which Belkar would know with those ranks in gourmet cooking.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Not that it REALLY matters, but are we SURE he got hit by that second casting? I mean, he complaints that Haley dodged BOTH, but it's possible that he dodged the second. We only see for sure Roy, Elan, and the Kobold being hit by the second one.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by karkus View Post
    I'd like to point out that here we see Belkar being affected by BOTH of the Vitriolic Spheres cast by Z, but he has at least a +12 modifier to Reflex saves (probably higher; only based off of minimum Dex score), as well as Evasion. The DCs for those spells range from 18-20, and Belkar's average roll against them would be a 22/23.

There is also a mere 30-40% chance that he would be subject to either casting, and a 9-16% chance that he would fail both saves. That means that there is less than a 1/6 chance of that happening again. He could have, of course, taken flaws to lower his Reflex saves, but that seems unlikely. I just think that he should be portrayed more as the Ranger that he is.

Are there any other "unlikely failures" that we've seen in the Oots?
    If we're going to rules-quibble...

Vitriolic Sphere is a Level 5 spell, and Z could have an Intelligence of up to 24, plus a magic item. Theoretically, the Save DC on that sphere could be as high as 25.

It is probably not that high; doing that would require him to have started with Int 20 (18 + drow), added Int at every level he gained, and also have a +6 Intelligence-boosting item. But it could easily be a couple of points lower (Int 22 +4 from an item, say) and provide a sphere which Belkar only has a half-half chance of dodging.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Anyway, Haley is the only character entitled to be able to dodge anything. Or anything at all.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Anyway, Haley is the only character entitled to be able to dodge anything. Or anything at all.
    Why do you say that?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Why do you say that?
    She's just normally the only one noted to being able to dodge anything, is all.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Belkar has evasion, although his Reflex save is almost certainly not as high as Haley's what with being part Barbarian and not being as focused on ranged attacks.

My point was mainly that Haley isn't the ONLY one who ever dodges attacks. Also, your usage of the word "entitled" was somewhat confusing to me.

15. - Top - End - #15

I don't think that was what the Pilgrim meant. Somehow.

But he can speak for himself, if he chooses to do so this time.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Haley dodging everything that is thrown at them when all the others took it is kind of a running gag since the begining of the comic. Think there's not much more to that.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    If we're going to rules-quibble...

Vitriolic Sphere is a Level 5 spell, and Z could have an Intelligence of up to 24, plus a magic item. Theoretically, the Save DC on that sphere could be as high as 25.

It is probably not that high; doing that would require him to have started with Int 20 (18 + drow), added Int at every level he gained, and also have a +6 Intelligence-boosting item. But it could easily be a couple of points lower (Int 22 +4 from an item, say) and provide a sphere which Belkar only has a half-half chance of dodging.
    Spell focus and Greater Spell Focus for another +2 in core.
    That gets us to DC 27. it's probably lower than that, but mid twenties is fine.