New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy

1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy

Well, I see it as a holdover, because video game RPGs were naturally based off pen-and-paper RPGs, where the description was more apt. Video games of the genre are similarly heavily stat-driven, even if the role-playing aspect from which the genre receives its name isn't so prominent. Some names are holdovers from before, even if it doesn't make sense in the present, like American football, where the ball is handled mostly with hands, or horse roads, the Chinese phrase for streets, which are used by cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

Do you guys remember the Evil Wall in FFIV? In my first playthrough that thing was devious. In the DS remake, it was pretty easy, though.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh God, the Wall....Trying to kill that wretched thing was like smacking your head against a brick door.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Oh God, the Wall....Trying to kill that wretched thing was like smacking your head against a brick door.
    Berserk+Haste. Smash your head against that brick wall faster and harder.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Do you guys remember the Evil Wall in FFIV? In my first playthrough that thing was devious. In the DS remake, it was pretty easy, though.
    Wasn't that in the Dark Elf cave where you couldn't use metal gear because of the magnetic field (one of the better ways of a Boss being Genre Savvy and countering one of his weaknesses)? It wasn't just that it had a boatload of hit points, and only a few turns until it killed the party... it was that you had to do it with sub-par gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

I don't recall the gear being sub-par. I do remember the trap for that wall though. Using your super powerful big spells was ineffective because they were super slow to cast. Virus on the other hand was fast to cast and for some reason did TONS of damage to the wall. Killed it easily once I made that switch.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    But all in all: None are actualy RPGs. You don't PLAY a ROLE. You watch somebody else play their character and the combat is about as disconnected as it gets.

Like: If I can summon GODS and meteors then why can't I open a BLOODY WOODEN DOOR!
    I disagree with your definition of RPG, especially since Final Fantasy was the original RPG series for me, and I personally can't stand where everything from Adventure games to FPS that has anything remotely resembling a plot or leveling mechanic it's considered an RPG.

Yeah, if there's one thing I learned in Final Fantasy 4, first video game I ever played, it's "Why use any other Black Magic spell but Virus?" for anything other than novelty. Very few things it doesn't take care of.

I really didn't like the DS remake. It probably has a lot to do with "They Changed It, Now it Sucks" trope/fallacy, but the changes in gameplay and animation style never stopped irking me.

After Years, on the other hand, I regard as one of the best RPG's ever made, even if the ending plot made no sense.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Banned

I'm trying really hard but I can't remember any boss from any other Final Fantasy game being as frustrating as the Evil Wall.
    Oh. Wiegraf from FFT. Yeah, there is that...

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    I disagree with your definition of RPG, especially since Final Fantasy was the original RPG series for me, and I personally can't stand where everything from Adventure games to FPS that has anything remotely resembling a plot or leveling mechanic it's considered an RPG.
    It is a holdover from pen and paper gaming, and just attaching "stats" to a fps doesn't add RPG elements. It adds Stat elements.

I consider games where you have control over what your character says/ does to be an RPG. The control musn't be absolute (Some plot railroading is required for better plot), but JRPG needs to be called something else.

Mass effect is a RPG in my opinion.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    I consider games where you have control over what your character says/ does to be an RPG.
    That's good for you, but decades of developer, publisher, and gamer use of the term disagrees with you. Good luck getting everyone else to change their mind.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    That's good for you, but decades of developer, publisher, and gamer use of the term disagrees with you. Good luck getting everyone else to change their mind.

Zevox
    Agreed.

Calling Final Fantasy an RPG is a bit of a misnomer, but hey, that's what everyone calls it. It'd be like trying to get everyone to say a meager set rather than a set of first category. Perhaps we should start calling them... level-up-adventure games (LUAG's). 'Cause you go on adventures. And level up.

Back to the OP's question, man, I dunno. FFVII is personally my favorite, but FFVII was like the first real LUAG I ever played. Before that I just played fighting games and stuff. While I do think FFVII is a good game, I think nostalgia is clouding my judgment.

I did like FFXII's system but the characters were too bland. FFVIII was pretty decent, I think, even though the plot was a little on the weak side and I hated the fact that if you used your best magic your stats would lower. Oh, and that monsters leveled up with you.

... Rather than go on, I think each game has its merits and demerits. My favorites would be FFIV, FFXI (FFVI), FFVII and FFX.

I didn't care much for FFV or FFIX. Or, dare I say it, FFT.
    Last edited by danzibr; 2012-09-29 at 03:54 PM.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

FFV, I can understand. It was beyond boring.

9 was fantastic, it took the series back towards it's roots, from it's course towards higher and higher tech til it was nearly no longer fantasy.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    ... Rather than go on, I think each game has its merits and demerits. My favorites would be FFIV, FFXI, FFVII and FFX.

I didn't care much for FFV or FFIX. Or, dare I say it, FFT.
    Have you played FFVI yet? 'cause if not, you probably should; I wager you'd love it.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Have you played FFVI yet? 'cause if not, you probably should; I wager you'd love it.
    lolol... I made a terrible, terrible typo.

I never tried FFXI. I meant to say I liked FFVI. And I did indeed love it :)
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

15. - Top - End - #195

Meh, 6, 11, both were pretty much the same.

/runs and hides
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Meh, 6, 11, both were pretty much the same.

/runs and hides
    Hmm? Don't people use blue for sarcasm?
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

17. - Top - End - #197
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    I'm trying really hard but I can't remember any boss from any other Final Fantasy game being as frustrating as the Evil Wall.
    Oh. Wiegraf from FFT. Yeah, there is that...
    I'm trying to remember, is it the solo battle with him that was hard?
    It's been a long while since I played Tactics.

I think FF5 had some of the harder bosses I've fought. Atomos was one I recall that was absolutely fustrating until I realized someone had to "Take one for the team" and stay taking it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I'm trying to remember, is it the solo battle with him that was hard?
    It's been a long while since I played Tactics.
    I'd say pretty much every battle with him is hard if you aren't prepared for it.

Wiegraf 1 when you've still got basic classes(Knights, Archers, Wizards, Priests, Squires, and Chemists) is harsh. Particularly because he's packing Statis Sword at this point, and a bad Stop can get someone killed.

Wiegraf 2's more manageable because you have permanent Agrias by this point, but it's still very easy to lose half your team at the outset because you put them in a + formation and got them Lightning Stab'd.

And of course Solo Wiegraf is a game ender if you're unprepared. Made worse by Velius/Belias being a back-to-back battle immediately after Solo Wiegraf.

Of course, once you know where he shows up then he becomes substantially easier.

19. - Top - End - #199

Ahh FFT...

To elaborate on my comment of disliking FFT, I thought the game as a whole was actually good, but hated the random battles so much it averages out to disliking the game. In particular, the random battles level up but the plot ones don't, so you can barely be getting by in the randoms but curb stomp the plot battles. This happened at one battle where my main dude was some ninja/monk combo with high movement, walked up and killed some boss in one hit before he could run away and the battle was over but I was struggling in random battles. Gah.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

20. - Top - End - #200
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    I'd say pretty much every battle with him is hard if you aren't prepared for it.
    Ah, okay now it's coming back to me. Thanks for the recap!
    Yeah the solo one was quite difficult because by then I've "promoted" Ramza to a support role and not a fighter. So... yeah, pain.

In particular, the random battles level up but the plot ones don't, so you can barely be getting by in the randoms but curb stomp the plot battles.
    That was a really weird mechanic of the game. Led to hilarious boss fights at least, like having my ninja go first and Calculate all the minions to explode on the first round.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

21. - Top - End - #201

I was a tad surprised there; the MMOs in general are rarely not on peoples' "Favorite Final Fantasies"-lists. Still, in a series with XIII+ games, replacing V with X might result in some misunderstandings That makes a tad more sense
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    That was a really weird mechanic of the game. Led to hilarious boss fights at least, like having my ninja go first and Calculate all the minions to explode on the first round.
    This is what Calculators are *for* whether or not you've over-leveled the fight. It's one of the basic facts of Tactics; if you want the game to be hard, don't use a Calculator.

23. - Top - End - #203

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    This is what Calculators are *for* whether or not you've over-leveled the fight. It's one of the basic facts of Tactics; if you want the game to be hard, don't use a Calculator.
    Or at least don't use a Calculator's skills. TrueCalc is probably hands down the hardest challenge in the game.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    You forgot to include on that "don't use Orland(ea)u". He's just as cheap as the Calculator.

Then again, if you just want to test the limits of power, there's Reis.

Say, what's the Playground's opinion on Rafa/Rapha and Malak/Marach? Most places I've gone, they're the underdogs because of their abilities. I often like to use them as the Bard and Dancer of my party, despite being essentially contradictory. They do a fine job, IMO, as Bard and Dancer.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Say, what's the Playground's opinion on Rafa/Rapha and Malak/Marach? Most places I've gone, they're the underdogs because of their abilities. I often like to use them as the Bard and Dancer of my party, despite being essentially contradictory. They do a fine job, IMO, as Bard and Dancer.
    I usually ignore them and sometimes just boot them from the party- I don't care to use named characters just because they're named, their unique skills are poor, and if I want to have units doing non-unique jobs the generics I've been raising for that purpose will do just as well or better without requiring me to stop and start training a late-coming unique character from scratch.

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    You forgot to include on that "don't use Orland(ea)u". He's just as cheap as the Calculator.

Then again, if you just want to test the limits of power, there's Reis.

I can't stand their skillsets. If I recall correctly, Rafa's skillset actually has the highest potential damage of anything in the game, but the sheer randomness involved with using their abilities made me just ignore them. I mean sure you can train them in other classes, but they come so late in the game there's really no sense to doing so. And unlike Reis, they don't get absurd stat growth to make up for a lacking skillset.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on how flexible you are. If you can catch the enemy in the right spot, so that their skill has only a single square it's targeting, it's the most powerful ability in the game.

I like runnning a pair of back-up dancers, and leaving a wizard and two fighters. It tends to burn down enemies very, very quickly.

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Depends on how flexible you are. If you can catch the enemy in the right spot, so that their skill has only a single square it's targeting, it's the most powerful ability in the game.

I like runnning a pair of back-up dancers, and leaving a wizard and two fighters. It tends to burn down enemies very, very quickly.
    Didn't the skills also have a vertical tolerance of like 2 or 3? Enough that you might occasionally cut out a part of the AoE, but you'll basically never cut out all of it.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

3, but there are a few places you can nail targets with it. It's just a matter of strategy.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually prefer their skillsets to Black Magic (which I love) against tight clusters of enemies (which happens far more often than you might think, especially if there's a Yellow Chocobo on the field.) IF there's only one or two "null" panels, most of the attacks from the skill will hit something, and softening up a number of enemies is quite nice.

On a similar subject, does anyone like axes and hammers? I always found their random attack power to be significantly worse than the swords available at the same time.