New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Playground: Variations, Versions, and Future Work

Yikes, I think our characters would have lots of parallels, although he would be making his own things. He really is like Tony Starks, except he's not a billionaire and he won't be making an actual suit of armor.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
    Yikes, I think our characters would have lots of parallels, although he would be making his own things. He really is like Tony Starks, except he's not a billionaire and he won't be making an actual suit of armor.
    Would you like to be in my character's employ, Guy? We could use a skilled inventor and engineer. Plus, The_Snark may be cooking up a crazy scientist to head the science department of my character's company (not definite yet, but we're talking about the possibility), so you'd have someone else to throw ideas off of (and to turn your inventive enthusiasm towards evil purposes).
    Last edited by VonDoom; 2012-10-18 at 06:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Would you like to be in my character's employ, Guy? We could use a skilled inventor and engineer. Plus, The_Snark may be cooking up a crazy scientist to head the science department of my character's company (not definite yet, but we're talking about the possibility), so you'd have someone else to throw ideas off of (and to turn your inventive enthusiasm towards evil purposes).
    Do you think your company could use a hero's service for good publicity? Considering how my character would pretty much be out of service after the war, he would be looking for a way to still make use of that charisma and influence he gives out while having something of a day job/life.

Anyone else looking for backstory connections? DM? Jade? Tech? Xon?

4. - Top - End - #304

SamuraiGuy

Well, pending on how things shape up for the game ... probably not, unless you want to be a total puppet with brainwashing out of the wazoo since that sort of character, if he's actually good and everything he's made out to be, is a huge, huge, huge security risk. Particularly if he's an inspiration to the people.
    Last edited by VonDoom; 2012-10-18 at 06:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #305

SwashbucklerGuy

Well, pending on how things shape up for the game ... probably not, unless you want to be a total puppet with brainwashing out of the wazoo since that sort of character, if he's actually good and everything he's made out to be, is a huge, huge, huge security risk. Particularly if he's an inspiration to the people.
    ...Yeah that might be a problem for both of us.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. But the way I envisioned him, he would have probably broken off at some point in the past. Maybe he is a close friend of your character, but he did not share his ideals, he just wanted to make stuff and test them out himself on something...or someone. He would have started out making stuff for the company, but being the greedy bastard that he is, he just wanted to make stuff that interests him and he could use for himself. And he did not like deadlines, So he broke off. But they are still in good terms, and maybe your character would come by his shop once in a while to look at his ideas and maybe fund one or two that you see would be useful (I see your character as some sort of visionary right? So he would be good at that) and of course to convince him to come back.

How's that sound?

@Star

Ooh, how about that suit that your character is using is actually made by my character, but given to yours to use. This could be another reason why he left Von Doom's company, because he could have been that Superhero everyone is looking up to but isn't. And he's one egotistical lunatic.

What do you think?

7. - Top - End - #307

SwashbucklerGuy

@Star

Ooh, how about that suit that your character is using is actually made by my character, but given to yours to use. This could be another reason why he left Von Doom's company, because he could have been that Superhero everyone is looking up to but isn't. And he's one egotistical lunatic.

What do you think?
    Well I don't see a connection with VonDoom's character happening, (y'know, unless I want to be a brainwashed psycho, which at best would satisfy my self-loathing habit) so I'm not too sure really.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Right, right, I read that part a bit late. I keep forgetting his company is eeeevil!

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

I decided my fighter looked better facing the other direction (which is to say, in the conventional propeller configuration).

On the right, the Torun mainstay, mass produced fighter, the Hartmann K-112 Orkan, armed with four Krauler Machen V 8 mm machine guns.

On the left, the Auvers air superiority heavyweight, the Rochefort C-17 Destrier, armed with six Krauler Machen V 8 mm machine guns.

Yes, I'll be playing a (former) fighter ace. However could you have guessed?

Not entirely finished with the shading and details on the Orkan, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2012-10-18 at 06:29 AM.

10. - Top - End - #310

SamuraiGuy

Well, how 'eeeevil' it'll be will be highly dependent on how openly ruthless and ambitious he can afford to be, which is directly related to how politically and financially influental he can be within the scope of our game and characters.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Plus, The_Snark may be cooking up a crazy scientist to head the science department of my character's company (not definite yet, but we're talking about the possibility), so you'd have someone else to throw ideas off of (and to turn your inventive enthusiasm towards evil purposes).
    Indeed. My working concept at the moment is an Auverlaine-born weapons researcher, who worked for the government during the war but signed on with VonDoom's EvilCorp afterwards in exchange for amnesty. (Bribery was probably involved at some point.) Her field of expertise may or may not involve chemical warfare and bio-weapons. Considers herself a patriot, and resents the occupation of her homeland. A lot.

From a certain point of view—a narrow and unenlightened point of view, I hasten to add—she might be considered a supervillain. Should be an interesting contrast with your hero of the Torun States, Starsign...
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

@VonDoom Well, in a war-torn city, I think that's easy. Plus we don't have other characters who are actually going to be a big factor, like a competing company or something.

BTW, is your character already the owner of the company when the game starts or will he still be in the 'taking over the company' phase?

@VonDoom and Starsign Actually, with Star's hero being a brainwashed puppet of justice, what if he actually broke out of brainwashing? That would be nice to play IMO. He'd be like that Jason Bourne or something, only everyone knows him and revers him as a hero.

@Nef I liked the look of the first Rochefort better. More diesel-punk looking IMO.

13. - Top - End - #313

SamuraiGuy

Reserving Story Elements. For now just with short descriptions of general intent.

Non-Personal:

The Great Beasts (better name pending)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Big, powerful magical creatures. Pending the setup of magic, may be strongly rooted with its source or a potential source for magic bonds via essentially selling your soul/fate/will/body to the entities.

'Eastern Folklore Country/Island/Nation' (better name pending)
    Spoiler
    Show
    A country that adds an asiatic component, combining various cultures and folklores into one whole. Distinctly different from how Ikoku was set up in Playground 3. Taking suggestions for how to differentiate, but I think it might be a 'lost continent' instead, with their proper culture having been an ancient civilisation and with remnants of its people, magic and culture spread over the world.

Personal:

'Evil Corporation centered in Adventure City' (to be named)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mikado's company. It's as big and powerful as we can reasonably make it at the start and, while Mikado may be its head, may not yet be fully under his direct control, explaining any differences between the theoretical corporate scale and what the character can actually do.

Major provider of weapons and a factor in winning the war. Develops on all fronts as long as it can be weaponized and (The_Snark's character or a different biologist-type pending) also started experimenting with human/elf/dwarf/whatever biology awhile ago. Quite naturally reputed for being a war-profiteer and ruthless.

As I mentioned earlier, I'll be re-introducing Mikado, but not as an intruder to the setting -- rather, a heavy rewrite, with him being hopefully more of a villain character rather than a 'reluctant hero with villain traits and ultimately evil but better than what's there right now intentions' this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    From a certain point of view—a narrow and unenlightened point of view, I hasten to add—she might be considered a supervillain. Should be an interesting contrast with your hero of the Torun States, Starsign...
    Very narrow and unenlightened.

14. - Top - End - #314

SwashbucklerGuy

Possibly. It's going to depend though. Won't have time to look over all the story elements until at least tonight sadly. I'll also need some time to improve my mood. Right now I'm... Conflicted to put it kindly. Going to need to chat with someone if anyone is able.

Speaking of which, is it possible we can have a link on the first post leading to each of the story elements that have been developed?

@VonDoom and Starsign Actually, with Star's hero being a brainwashed puppet of justice, what if he actually broke out of brainwashing? That would be nice to play IMO. He'd be like that Jason Bourne or something, only everyone knows him and revers him as a hero.
    I don't think we decided on the brainwashing part. Breaking out could be a good idea however I'm not sure if VonDoom would appreciate that.

And if we go with the brainwashing as something still held, I'll probably end up hating my character... Is part of the point of playing a villain to hate the character you're playing? I've always wondered about that to be honest

15. - Top - End - #315

SamuraiGuy

What? Hell no. Well, it normally isn't. Maybe for some it's the 'love to hate' thing, but there are as many reasons and motivations to play villains as there are reasons to -be- villainous. Not to mention that 'villain' is a construct and label we simply apply to characters with certain personality traits that a benevolent society, at large, might reject.

But, anyway, if someone breaks free after having been a puppet and subjected to copious amounts of brainwashing, the 'heroic frontman' would be workable and fine by me. Some remnants and implanted fake memories or remaining conditioning might be nice for a twist (say, a key phrase that temporarily reactivates his old conditioning, but that would, of course, have him seek its removal once discovered).

I ought to warn you that that'll likely be a fairly involved concept, particularly since it comes with lots of psychological issues (since even if you break free of it and don't have any traps still in there, that's not something to just shrug off) and built-in enemies. You were a bit surprised at the reaction to Alf's monstrous appearance back in Playground 3, so figure I ought to spell out the implications, to be safe.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

VonDoom, do you need a head of security/ right hand man kind of character?

I have plans for an intelligent commander type character that leads the mooks and makes sure the job gets done. And he probably has an agenda of his own.

I decided to scrap the scientist I had planned when I figured out that everything I actually wanted the character to could be done better by a different one while still keeping all the key elements.

As of now I don’t really have anything concrete about the character personality and motivations other than some vague images of how I want him to be... so a work in progress xD

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't have much time to post, but suffice to say that I actually flipped my character concept 180 for better RP and story opportunities. If anyone wants to step into the resistance spot, they most certainly can.

I *am* still looking for backstory connections, although it might be best to hold off until I can provide what my concept actually is.

Also, the concerns about a premature SEs have been noted. We might very well want to either hold back, or else actually start a Recruitment thread - but to do that, we need to hammer out those ambiguous rules, which means I need to get back to work collating suggestions.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

18. - Top - End - #318

SamuraiGuy

I'm more for keeping it at the 'state intent for Story Elements' at the moment, and then when we're ready to get rolling to put them down in an IC Lore manner.

@Swordslinger: I sort of already promised Tebryn a spot as a bodyguard/assassin-type and I figure he'll probably want a position of authority along with that rather than being a glorified mook, so between that and The_Snark's head scientist, I don't have anymore proverbial hands left.

However, that said, a head of security would be excellent to have, though I'd prefer someone trustworthy in that position. Not that someone can't be both trustworthy and still have an agenda -- that agenda might be perfectly compatible with doing a good job, after all.

@Jade_Tarem: So, if you're at a 180, you're now an oppressive government agent? Hmm. If I'm not totally off here and it's viable within your concept, would you like to be the spy liaison the government is occasionally sending over to keep an eye on their weapon supplier?

19. - Top - End - #319

SwashbucklerGuy

What? Hell no. Well, it normally isn't. Maybe for some it's the 'love to hate' thing, but there are as many reasons and motivations to play villains as there are reasons to -be- villainous. Not to mention that 'villain' is a construct and label we simply apply to characters with certain personality traits that a benevolent society, at large, might reject.
    Ah... I think then my view of a villain I might play greatly differs from everyone else then.

I think part of the problem I have is that I see myself playing a villain more to torture or to get a good, hard look at myself, exaggerating all my flaws and place it in the body of a PC that I use to berate myself over my complete lack of idealistic beliefs. I can't seem to find it fun to play a villain so I wondered about playing one to look at everything wrong with me. I have such a severe case of self-loathing due to all the times I un-rightfully anger, accuse, annoy, or yell at someone (Playground 3 comes to mind...) or make a mistake or suggest an idea that turns out to be venomously horrible. I end up thinking sometimes that I should view MYSELF as a villain and try to exaggerate that in a roleplay; yet I chicken out at every opportunity to do so. It's why I generally prefer playing heroes, people more confident and unshaken and idealistic; people that I aspire to be, yet cannot do so right now.

In case you are wondering, yeah I had this bottled up for a long time. I had to let it out eventually. I've heard (and seen) that such breakdowns and problems can make for amazing literature. Does anyone think that might be the case here? As they say, True Art is Angsty.

Please disregard this. The crossed out part, though true, came due to an emotional breakdown I had this morning.

But, anyway, if someone breaks free after having been a puppet and subjected to copious amounts of brainwashing, the 'heroic frontman' would be workable and fine by me. Some remnants and implanted fake memories or remaining conditioning might be nice for a twist (say, a key phrase that temporarily reactivates his old conditioning, but that would, of course, have him seek its removal once discovered).

I ought to warn you that that'll likely be a fairly involved concept, particularly since it comes with lots of psychological issues (since even if you break free of it and don't have any traps still in there, that's not something to just shrug off) and built-in enemies. You were a bit surprised at the reaction to Alf's monstrous appearance back in Playground 3, so figure I ought to spell out the implications, to be safe.
    Oh boy, I'm not too sure about this when I think about it. I would probably want to stick with someone more sane than what we have here. (more sane than myself at least)

Back to the drawing board I guess...
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-10-18 at 11:01 AM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

@Jade_Tarem: So, if you're at a 180, you're now an oppressive government agent? Hmm. If I'm not totally off here and it's viable within your concept, would you like to be the spy liaison the government is occasionally sending over to keep an eye on their weapon supplier?
    As the adjutant to "The Man" who runs the town's peacekeeping/military force, that will be one of her many duties, yes. Given that it's generally better to play characters with some depth, she'll be a bit more than the jackbooted right hand to DM's character - even if the actual day uniform does feature jackboots.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

21. - Top - End - #321

SamuraiGuy

Ahh, so you're going for something like that. I vaguely remembered Dark mentioning he was going to be a guardsman or something like that, not the effective overseer of the town, but we can work with that. (Assuming no one has any problems with it, of course.)

I figured more on a country basis rather than the local town militia-guard -- whose jurisdiction weapon supplying and engineering contracts for the national war effort definitely wouldn't fall under.

Though that doesn't mean there can't be various side contracts and local deals going on that connect the characters, at least, since the 'supply weapons for the nation' thing is more of an abstract background process, anyway.
    Last edited by VonDoom; 2012-10-18 at 09:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, busy busy.

I was planning on adding an Eastern Themed Country for the Jade Masks to come from VonDoom though that is easily changeable. Incidently, I'll be around for a while if you want to coordinate over Skype.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-10-18 at 11:34 AM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Ahh, so you're going for something like that. I vaguely remembered Dark mentioning he was going to be a guardsman or something like that, not the effective overseer of the town, but we can work with that. (Assuming no one has any problems with it, of course.)

I figured more on a country basis rather than the local town militia-guard -- whose jurisdiction weapon supplying and engineering contracts for the national war effort definitely wouldn't fall under.

Though that doesn't mean there can't be various side contracts and local deals going on that connect the characters, at least, since the 'supply weapons for the nation' thing is more of an abstract background process, anyway.
    Ah, must have mentioned it to Jade and Nef last night and not here. Planning on playing the Military Governor.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

24. - Top - End - #324

SamuraiGuy

Aye, we should definitely be able to work something out, then. Discounts. Maybe if you're corrupt, a few extra crates of the new stuff that just so happened to fall off the transport wagons. You know, the usual.

We should get something out of the way, though:

With positions so important and potentially holding power over most other characters, we ought to clear first what the general consensus in regards to holding high positions in general is from the start, just so no one's going to be upset later.

Since we're establishing the basic things of what will be available and how things will be set up, now's the time to speak up about stuff like that, folks.

Once we establish that politically or economically powerful characters, who can strongly exert that sort of influence in the game, are absolutely fine to have, it's a done deal, no further complaining about the basic principle of it. (Though of course players are still expected to not be a jerk about it, but that really ought to be a given.)

This goes for my own character idea as well, by the way -- a powerful company may not 'be the boss of you' by default unless you take out a credit or work for them or some-such, but it's still very influential.

I'm going to throw my coin into the 'it's cool' hat, obviously.
    Last edited by VonDoom; 2012-10-18 at 01:13 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325

SwashbucklerGuy

Aye, we should definitely be able to work something out, then. Discounts. Maybe if you're corrupt, a few extra crates of the new stuff that just so happened to fall off the transport wagons. You know, the usual.

We should get something out of the way, though:

With positions so important and potentially holding power over most other characters, we ought to clear first what the general consensus in regards to holding high positions in general is from the start, just so no one's going to be upset later.

Since we're establishing the basic things of what will be available and how things will be set up, now's the time to speak up about stuff like that, folks.

Once we establish that politically or economically powerful characters, who can strongly exert that sort of influence in the game, are absolutely fine to have, it's a done deal, no further complaining about the basic principle of it. (Though of course players are still expected to not be a jerk about it, but that really ought to be a given.)

This goes for my own character idea as well, by the way -- a powerful company may not 'be the boss of you' by default unless you take out a credit or work for them or some-such, but it's still very influential.

I'm going to throw my coin into the 'it's cool' hat, obviously.
    How much time might we be given to speak up about this? I just want to consult something with a friend of mine (who I'm waiting to come online...) before I go state an opinion. If I don't mention something by around 12:00 PM EST, assume my opinion is "I'll live with it." Until then though it's up in the air.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

I think it's okay. I mean we do have equal number of advantages. While someone is the top dog of the government or a company, I expect all your advantages will go to reflecting that. The rest who aren't so big shots get to have all the stuff for themselves. So if some big shot makes an ass of himself, don't be surprised to have a super-sized, extra hot ball of lava flying at you when you least expect it, for example.
    Last edited by GuyFawkes; 2012-10-18 at 01:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's okay. I mean we do have equal number of advantages. While someone is the top dog of the government or a company, I expect all your advantages will go to reflecting that. The rest who aren't so big shots get to have all the stuff for themselves. So if some big shot makes an ass of himself, don't be surprised to have a boulder of lava flying at you when you least expect it, for example.
    Indeed. Couldn't put it better. In a world where there are people who can bend the fabric of nature to their whim, being a petulant little turd only lasts as long as you've not made any number of such people angry with you.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

@Starsign: that seems like it'd work very nicely to me. All sorts of interactions with other proposed characters spring to mind, which (I think) is the hallmark of a good concept in these games.

Well, first off: I love the idea of secretive gas mask-clad priests wandering across battlefields and plague-ravaged slums, conducting mysterious chemical-fueled rites to ease the passing of the dead. It is a very evocative image. The notion that plague is a divine manifestation of suffering is intriguing too (and presents interesting ramifications for the field of chemical warfare).

Like Xondoure, I'm a little unsure about gods being an open, acknowledged force in the world. Religion and churches, sure, but not gods. As written, Corvix feels like the kind of deity you'd find in a pseudo-medieval D&D setting, where that thing is commonplace. Here... well, there's nothing forbidding a more modern setting from having those, but like Xondoure (again) I personally would prefer a bit more ambiguity. Perhaps make the religion a mystery cult (in the Greco-Roman sense); they aren't exactly secret, but they don't proselytize much, most people don't understand them very well, and some of their sacred practices are reserved for those who are initiated into the faith. Communion with the god should probably be reserved for dreams and hallucinogen-inspired vision quests—which is not to say they're not genuine, but it keeps the right air of mysticism.

Also, I would recommend a change of name for the god; something like Old Father Crow seems appropriately enigmatic.

I'd actually love to collaborate with you on this sort of thing, as it ties in with some ideas I've had about bio-weapons and chemical warfare and stuff. Would you be open to that?
    Hum... okieday. I think I can work with it being secretive & whatnot (maybe it's just the Cult's belief that the crows guide them or something, though I really do like the name "Corvix".) Sure, we can collaborate on this.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Orc in the Playground

@Swordslinger: I sort of already promised Tebryn a spot as a bodyguard/assassin-type and I figure he'll probably want a position of authority along with that rather than being a glorified mook, so between that and The_Snark's head scientist, I don't have anymore proverbial hands left.
    Ah ok.

Hmm then perhaps I could try to add a military spin to the character and have him be a part of the occupational forces.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordslinger View Post
    Ah ok.

Hmm then perhaps I could try to add a military spin to the character and have him be a part of the occupational forces.
    Honestly, I think there would be room for both your character and mine. I had more envisioned my character being in charge of something similar to the Turks from FF7. More covert and small numbers than...anything spanning general security for the company. So...in all something answering more directly to the head hanco as it were.